This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Tiana Makes Yahoo

The new Disney fairy tale movie, " The Princess and the Frog" has a familiar storyline. (Girl kisses frog. Weird stuff happens.) But the look is new: The debut of Disney's first African American princess. Ever. The animated musical opens this week in New York and Los Angeles (and everywhere next month) and already Web searches on Yahoo! have grown over 100% in the last 30 days.
    The story is set in Jazz Age New Orleans, with this princess-in-the-rough working as a waitress. She is only royal in her mind, and dreams of opening a restaurant in the French Quarter. Check out the preview.
    Aside from breaking a race barrier (Disney's own), the animated flick is a throw-back to another era: The movie is hand-drawn, with zydeco-style songs by Randy Newman and stars Broadway singer Anika Noni Rose as the princess, Tiana, and queen of daytime Oprah Winfrey as the voice of her mom. And, of course, there are the toys. NPR reports that Tiana toys are already extremely popular with the kids. A new cash cow for Disney, perhaps?
    Early reviews are positive. Time magazine calls the holiday offering a "start-to-finish delight." Entertainment Weekly glows that the G-rated movie is "a fresh twist on the classic fairy tale." Filmcritic.com notes that while the cartoon is a visual feast, it serves up little along the theme of race or class. However, images might speak stronger than words in this case. As Filmcritic puts it, "If they're not careful, 'like a Disney movie' might once again cease to be a pejorative phrase."

Just telling us how they are breaking barriers
    Last edited by Babs09; 11-26-2009, 12:13 PM.

Thank you Solitary!

Re: Tiana Makes Yahoo

I actually sent in a complaint about this article. I am so physically disgusted by the superficial way these writers are only highlighting her skin color when it has nothing to do with the film. They barely talk about the studios return to 2D or fairly tales, it's all about a "racial barrier" Disney broke down in 92 with Aladdin. Jasmine didn't get nearly this much attention being the first minority princess, period. It's absolutely sickening how they reduce Tiana to a token, when she's just another character, they're placing all these meanings behind. You wanna see progress? Try not mentioning her race? Try calling her by name, not just saying the "The first African American Princess". If I were the first person of my race to do something and all people saw was my appearance and not my achievement, I would feel so embarrassed. It literally makes me sick.

Comment

Originally posted by DARTH KNITE View Post
      I actually sent in a complaint about this article. I am so physically disgusted by the superficial way these writers are only highlighting her skin color when it has nothing to do with the film. They barely talk about the studios return to 2D or fairly tales, it's all about a "racial barrier" Disney broke down in 92 with Aladdin. Jasmine didn't get nearly this much attention being the first minority princess, period. It's absolutely sickening how they reduce Tiana to a token, when she's just another character, they're placing all these meanings behind. You wanna see progress? Try not mentioning her race? Try calling her by name, not just saying the "The first African American Princess". If I were the first person of my race to do something and all people saw was my appearance and not my achievement, I would feel so embarrassed. It literally makes me sick.
      hmmm...

Comment

I see your point. However, she IS Disney's first "African American Princess". Mulan was Disney's first "Asian Princess" and Jasmine was Disney's first "Arabian Princess". The only reason Tiana (note - I USED HER NAME!) is noted so much as being the "first black princess", is because of everything that has been in the past with our country. From Slavery, to African American rights, it would not have been as big a deal, had our country not had to deal with slavery, and African American rights. That being said, this film is going to be phenomenal! Disney making a bold move, and going back to 2D animation. Even the trailer looks amazing, and that's just 30 seconds to a minute of clips!
        If you want to see more reviews, check out Blue Sky Disney's post on it all. The critics seem to love this already...
        Blue Sky Disney: La Grenouille Critiques...

Comment

I understand that, it's just maddening to see so much emphasis put on that, and not the actual content of the film and the character. If there was some mentioning of it, I could deal that (athough I wouldn't like it). It's just the fact that their letting it overtake the entire film. I hope it's a decent movie, Mermaid and Aladdin are great but a little too cartoony for me, and this movie had their directors. I wish it was darker, IE Beauty/Lion/Pocahontas/Hunchback, but hopefully it will still be good.

PS. Mulan's not a princess...

Comment

Its a movie and as long as its good then i don't care if the princess is an alien.
            Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Ariel broke the barrier for Fish-Americans

Comment

Nala is an African too!

one hundred and one

Comment

Originally posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
                  Nala is an African too!
                  Ariel broke the barrier for Fish-Americans
                  LMAO those were good....that made my night.

Comment

PS. Mulan's not a princess...
                    Disney considers her one. She's one of the members of the Princess Brand. This is Disney we're talking about remember, brand over story. At least we've got John L. now so we get some story, which had been completely forgotten for a few years, but brand still comes first in the Disney world.

Comment

Yeah it's weird, Disney does always have Mulan in their Princess stuff, which is weird because she was never an actual princess. I mean was there even a prince? Was there ever a king and queen? I don't recall so, so why would she be a princess?

Comment

Originally posted by dmtnt55 View Post
                        Yeah it's weird, Disney does always have Mulan in their Princess stuff, which is weird because she was never an actual princess. I mean was there even a prince? Was there ever a king and queen? I don't recall so, so why would she be a princess?
                        At the end of the movie after Mulan saves the Emperor and China from the Hun, she is given the Emperor's crest making her his successor and technically making her a princess (at least until she became Emperor)...it's kind of a stretch but I'd rather have Mulan in there than Tinkerbell.

Comment

What I think is sad is that, with ever-diminishing attention spans, they can't just make classic Disney movies anymore. Yes, we can assume that by the end of the movie, Tiana will be a princess. But can this movie be compared to Snow White? Sleeping Beauty? The Little Mermaid? I don't think so. Why? Because they had to add a firefly that (probably) adds nothing more than butt jokes. I'm not saying that all princess movies have to be about traditional, pink-wearing, oppressive female stereotype princesses, I mean look at Jasmine or Belle. They were intellectual and independant. But they had a certain level of class and grace that I just don't think can come from this movie. Maybe I'm just being cynical.

Comment

Originally posted by lobeobann View Post
                            What I think is sad is that, with ever-diminishing attention spans, they can't just make classic Disney movies anymore. Yes, we can assume that by the end of the movie, Tiana will be a princess. But can this movie be compared to Snow White? Sleeping Beauty? The Little Mermaid? I don't think so. Why? Because they had to add a firefly that (probably) adds nothing more than butt jokes. I'm not saying that all princess movies have to be about traditional, pink-wearing, oppressive female stereotype princesses, I mean look at Jasmine or Belle. They were intellectual and independant. But they had a certain level of class and grace that I just don't think can come from this movie. Maybe I'm just being cynical.
                            I completely agree with you. As for the firefly, every princess movie has a slightly offensive animal sidekick for comedic relief ie Sebastian/Flounder, Abu, Mushu, Donkey (well not Disney but you get the point )

Ultimately we're all going to have to wait until we see the movie before we can make a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by F!an View Post
                              I completely agree with you. As for the firefly, every princess movie has a slightly offensive animal sidekick for comedic relief ie Sebastian/Flounder, Abu, Mushu, Donkey (well not Disney but you get the point )

Ultimately we're all going to have to wait until we see the movie before we can make a decision.
                              Yeah, but all those are from more recent Disney movies. They didn't really have any in the CLASSIC classic Disney movies. And I think those characters added something to the movie. Sure, they were a little loud and offbeat, but they weren't just plain raunchy like this firefly, with the exception of Donkey, who, as you mentioned, isn't Disney. Plus, I think that all the characters you mentioned had some auora of intelligence or cleverness, but I don't see that in the firefly.

Comment

Yeah, but all those are from more recent Disney movies. They didn't really have any in the CLASSIC classic Disney movies. And I think those characters added something to the movie. Sure, they were a little loud and offbeat, but they weren't just plain raunchy like this firefly, with the exception of Donkey, who, as you mentioned, isn't Disney. Plus, I think that all the characters you mentioned had some auora of intelligence or cleverness, but I don't see that in the firefly.
                                Haven't seen the movie, but can make a good guess on the storyline from what I've collected:

The firefly (Ray) is a friend of Luis (alligator). Ray seems like a careless, dumb sidekick with nothing to offer. When in fact he has a beautiful song in the movie about falling in love with a star named Evangeline and how she is so beautiful that she doesn't deserve a man like him. I can only guess this song is his turning point in which guests see another side to this seemingly disfunctional character.

He sounds pretty complex and intruiging. A recipe for a great Disney character.

one hundred and one

Comment

Originally posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
                                  Haven't seen the movie, but can make a good guess on the storyline from what I've collected:

The firefly (Ray) is a friend of Luis (alligator). Ray seems like a careless, dumb sidekick with nothing to offer. When in fact he has a beautiful song in the movie about falling in love with a star named Evangeline and how she is so beautiful that she doesn't deserve a man like him. I can only guess this song is his turning point in which guests see another side to this seemingly disfunctional character.

He sounds pretty complex and intruiging. A recipe for a great Disney character.
                                  well considering your profile image and signature, I'll take your word for it.

Comment

I saw the movie last night and it's definitely a classic in my opinion. AMAZING movie. Tiana is definitely a strong individual. But she does have some obstacles in her character that she has to overcome, which is different for the princess movies, and I for one think it's great. Seeing Tiana grow as a person is wonderful. haha

oh and Ray is actually one of my favorite characters. When I first saw him, I didn't like him, and then when I heard the butt jokes I was repulsed by him, but I think it was around the time at D23 I really started to like him. Over the course of the film, I loved the character! He's so adorable!!! He's a character that really grows on you, that's for sure. I know this isn't very helpful, but I really am trying to stay away from movie examples... I don't want to spoil the movie.

Oh and I cried quite a bit, if that means anything...(okay I cry easily watching movies... >>). I really connected with it, and I think that a lot of people will too. I'm counting down the days until the actual release so that I can go see it again. XD
                                    sigpic
                                    http://disneyjedi1.deviantart.com/

Comment

Oooh! I was going to try the "go into it with low expectations, come out with high opinion" approach, but now I'm really even more excited for it!

Comment

Not to drag this off-topic but: Shouldn't this thread be in the entertainment thread? I was wondering why this thread was posted on the Disneyland Resort section.

Anyway, I look foward to seeing Princess and the Frog on December 11th. From the first 6 minutes of it that I saw on the Snow White DVD, it looks promising.

The world is a treasure trove of places.
                                        The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
                                        Indy Ride Count: 2211
                                        World of Color Count: 74

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X