Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So when is Star Tours closing for refurb?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] So when is Star Tours closing for refurb?

I know it's "Coming to Your Galaxy in 2011", but I don't remember if anyone clarified when the current attraction would actually go down for refurbishment/enhancements...

Anyone know?

Re: So when is Star Tours closing for refurb?

December, 2010

Comment

Late next year I heard.

Comment

I asked a cast member this one... the last flight Star Tours is going to be taking is in October of 2010 and re-opening sonetime in the Spring of 2011
        Follow me on Twitter for live updates & pictures from the park:

Comment

Originally posted by disneyDragon923 View Post
          I asked a cast member this one... the last flight Star Tours is going to be taking is in October of 2010 and re-opening sonetime in the Spring of 2011
          At the D23 Expo, they said that it will close October 2010, but I am surprised that it will open as soon as Spring 2011!! That is great and look forward to seeing the much needed upgrade.

Comment

in that case, I guess we can just expect a new screen, new movie, repainted vehicles. Disney is incredibly slow with this kind of stuff. I think it is more likely that it will re-open in Fall of '11, and close fall of '10. They need a year probably, moving at their pace, to do it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey Jr View Post
              in that case, I guess we can just expect a new screen, new movie, repainted vehicles. Disney is incredibly slow with this kind of stuff. I think it is more likely that it will re-open in Fall of '11, and close fall of '10. They need a year probably, moving at their pace, to do it properly.
              Everything I've read and heard from Cast Members who work on the Star Tours attraction points to it being opened in Spring 2011 and refurbed starting in October 2010, but you do make some good points. They expect to add a new movie and all the 3D effects, change the quene lines and repaint by then. Either Disney is expecting there workers to work double time and overtime or they got an ace up there sleeve. But I do agree that it's about time Star Tours got a much needed and a LONG overdo make over.
              Follow me on Twitter for live updates & pictures from the park:

Comment

Remember too that the 'movie' is apparently already shot and completed. That's a huge timesaver right there.
                "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

The last flight is October 2010 (bad timing, since the promotion will not only fight with Halloween Time, but create a massive bottleneck in Tomorrowland w/ Ghost Galaxy returning, Labor Day should've been their choice), but I highly doubt it will be open in spring 2011. More likely is June/July 2011, since they have to install new simulators and totally renovate the huge queue area, not to mention gloss the Star Trader and the exterior with a fresh new look. I just can't see this being done within four to five months...

Comment

I just know that I was at the original Opening Ceremony for Star Tours and am planning on being at the one for the re-opening.
                    Originally posted by migo
                    I poop with joy!
                    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Comment

A construction time from Oct. to April the next year .. does not sound so unrealistic. Much of the "show" is contained within the simulators .. and who says construction of new simulators has not already started, off site somewhere. (?).

Some may recall a refurb in the early ... maybe mid 90s that involved 4 new simulators that were crane lifted .. and installed into their perspective "bays".

So .. aside from air or crane lifted simulators lowered into place.... Minor to moderate changes to the queue .... 6 months sounds fairly reasonable.
                      MY SIGNATURE:
                      Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

If there is one trace of Gungan in that freakin' ride, I'm not going to be a happy camper lol.

Comment

It's not a refurbishment at all. It's a completely new and high tech sequel to the original, with an entirely different film and technologically light years (so to speak) ahead of Star Tours.

Comment

A little off topic, anyone know what is involved in the somewhat long refurb of next door Starcade in the Spring? Maybe reopening the 2nd floor?

Comment

Originally posted by villagecreator View Post
                              A little off topic, anyone know what is involved in the somewhat long refurb of next door Starcade in the Spring? Maybe reopening the 2nd floor?
                              Don't know. Just speculation, but would not be surprised if Starcade and Star Trader got fixed up before Star Tours 2 given all the extra attention the area will get, and will probably have re-theming to bring it closer in line with the Star Tours 2 storyline. Just my humble guess.
                              "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

Originally posted by disneyfann121 View Post
                                It's not a refurbishment at all. It's a completely new and high tech sequel to the original, with an entirely different film and technologically light years (so to speak) ahead of Star Tours.
                                The word "refurbishment" can mean many things in the English language. It could be something as simple as a "rehab" .. like the annual rehabs all Disneyland rides go through .. to repaint, clean up, replace worn parts, etc. It can also mean renovation too. And in a sense ... Star Tours IS going through a renovation. Almost a complete overhaul. But not quite. The word "overhaul" was used for Tomorrowland back in 1967. They did whole-sale demolishen across the board! And struck up brand new buildings in it's place. They are not tearing down the entire Star Tours building .. and erecting a totally different experience in it's place. It's still the basic premise - motion-based "flight" similator. It's a new journey with some new 21st Century tricks.
                                MY SIGNATURE:
                                Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by villagecreator View Post
                                  Is Starcade listed as going down for refurb next year? Or the next?

And why would they bother .. with a pending over-all plan to renovate the entire land? Which is slated sometime in the early part of the next decade.
                                  MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                                    The word "refurbishment" can mean many things in the English language. It could be something as simple as a "rehab" .. like the annual rehabs all Disneyland rides go through .. to repaint, clean up, replace worn parts, etc. It can also mean renovation too. And in a sense ... Star Tours IS going through a renovation. Almost a complete overhaul. But not quite. The word "overhaul" was used for Tomorrowland back in 1967. They did whole-sale demolishen across the board! And struck up brand new buildings in it's place. They are not tearing down the entire Star Tours building .. and erecting a totally different experience in it's place. It's still the basic premise - motion-based "flight" similator. It's a new journey with some new 21st Century tricks.
                                    It's a sequel, with completely upgraded technology. That's not a refurb by any stretch of the definition. Was it a "refurb" when Universal replaced Back to the Future with the Simpsons ride?

Comment

Call me crazy, but who said anything about getting new simulators?
                                      -Bill

Comment

Wow... An argument over the semantics of the word 'Refurb' or 'Refurbishment' and whether it only applies to sprucing up a ride or also to upgrading a ride's parts and mechanisms. Only in MC, folks!

Anywho... I think that a six month time frame is pretty reasonable for upgrading Star Tours. As others have already pointed out, since it is a simulator, much of the moving parts can be built off-site, and the 'movie' portion has largely already been (or is currently in the process of being) filmed. Also, I'm willing to bet that building or re-building something like a simulator, which moves up and down (etc.) on pneumatic or hydraulic actuators, but doesn't actually go anywhere, takes a lot less actual construction than tearing out and replacing tracks, aligning those tracks properly, getting the vehicles, timing and braking just right, etc.

My thoughts are that the majority of the six months will be spent on re-doing (a nice, safe verb, unlike 'refurbishing') the queue, and getting the programming of the vehicle movements, along with the timing of the movie, just right. It'll be more high-tech adjustment and less hard construction.
                                        Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X