Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So when is Star Tours closing for refurb?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Forbidden Eye
    replied
    Re: So when is Star Tours closing for refurb?

Originally posted by d1mex View Post
    Captain EO countdown again? Anyone?

October 2010 sounds fine.

Spring 2011 sounds too soon. I expect late summer, like June or July.
    Lets see,

Star TOurs is closing in October and depending on when they plan to reopen it as Star Tours 2, I would say you're right.

Spring does sound too early for a reopening and a Summer date would be better. But it would depend on how fast they can get everything for Star Tours 2 in and to test everything.

So I'm projecting a late spring or early-mid summer opening for Star Tours 2.

Leave a comment:

• d1mex
    replied

Captain EO countdown again? Anyone?

October 2010 sounds fine.

Spring 2011 sounds too soon. I expect late summer, like June or July.

Leave a comment:

• Trekkie313
    replied

Originally posted by ZomBats View Post
    I really am so sad to see the classic Star Tours go.
    Huge fan of the films, even the prequels, but I don't think that they should be brought in.
    Yes obviously Star Tours is a bit dated but so what?
    Even more so I hate that my best friend (he lives in NY) will never know what it's like to visit the OG Star Tours *sniffles*

Oh come on, you have to admit that it was getting outdated and it seemed a bit really cheesy. Besides, it'll probably get a DVD release like the BTTF ride did. However though I will miss the era it portrays because I'm not a huge fan of the prequels, especially Pod-Racing. Hopefully they keep all the set pieces left over from Adventure Through InnerSpace and the AT-AT/X-Wing replicas outside.

Leave a comment:

• ZomBats
    replied

I really am so sad to see the classic Star Tours go.
    Huge fan of the films, even the prequels, but I don't think that they should be brought in.
    Yes obviously Star Tours is a bit dated but so what?
    Even more so I hate that my best friend (he lives in NY) will never know what it's like to visit the OG Star Tours *sniffles*

Leave a comment:

• Crazee4mm
    replied

It took them almost 2 months to install Captain Eo and we are still missing the majority of in-theater effects (the motion base floor was not installed until HISTA took over the theater). For them to do a complete overhaul of Star Tours in approximately 6 months seems wildly optimistic. Just look how long it has taken to build the viewing area for WoC...and it's STILL not completed. 6(ish) months for Star Tours from closure to re-opening either reeks of a cheap redo or they are going to have round-the-clock crews working under a strict deadline. Hopefully it's the latter rather than the former.

Leave a comment:

• elsa
    replied

Originally posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    I was told by a CM a couple weeks ago.

Star Tours closes October 23rd, 2010!

Thanks! I'll let her know. We can put off that visit for a while then!

Leave a comment:

• Sorcerer's Apprentice
    replied

Originally posted by elsa View Post
    Is there any update as to when this will occur? Not a big fan of the ride, but my sister-in-law loves it and wants to plan her trip so she won't miss it....
    I was told by a CM a couple weeks ago.

Star Tours closes October 23rd, 2010!

Leave a comment:

• WestsideCM99
    replied

Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    I'm not sure anyone from Disney specifically said anything about getting new simulators, but from all of the new effects and ride features that are reportedly being added, if the old simulators were going to be used, they would have to be gutted to basically nothing more than a shell, and rebuild from there. Also, all of the mechanisms involved in movement would likely have to be replaced.
    I see this scenario happening but not all of the simulator necessarily needs to be gutted out here. The seats and restraint devices can remain as-is bolted down to the frame, door mechanisms, actuators, etc probably don't need to be touched either. The interior wall and ceiling panels should definitely be replaced or at the least re-applied to the subframe because they rattle like a 62' chevy these days. Perhaps swap out the small monitors with new LCD screens, replace the projectors with newer HD models, and maybe even implement some LCD technology in the no smoking lamps up above. Other than that it's just a matter of adding a few wires to the master harness to accomidate more effects and better speakers.

If you can find the right crews to do the job then closing the attraction for 6 months gives more than enough time to get the new version setup. However my intuition tells me that this will probably get delayed until early July and perhaps open with one or two severe glitches. But that's just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• elsa
    replied

Is there any update as to when this will occur? Not a big fan of the ride, but my sister-in-law loves it and wants to plan her trip so she won't miss it....

Leave a comment:

• villagecreator
    replied

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Is Starcade listed as going down for refurb next year? Or the next?

And why would they bother .. with a pending over-all plan to renovate the entire land? Which is slated sometime in the early part of the next decade.
    According to this week's update:

Starcade: Closed January 4 through February 1 for refurbishment.

Leave a comment:

• Goofy Daddy
    replied

Originally posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Let's see...a completely new ride film, based on the prequels instead of the original Star Wars movies, in 3D, with many variable storylines, interactive elements, and a state of the art simulator...that's what you call a mere "refurbishment"?

This isn't nitpicking, this is a fundamental difference. Every refurb I ever heard of involves touching up and sprucing up the existing elements and settings -- not replacing all of it with completely new scenes and technology that shames the original. Some refurbs involve little more than fixing up a few AAs and adding a fresh coat of paint.

Have you ever heard of a "refurb" that took over ten years to prepare? Star Tours II has been in development for longer than that. If Indy closed down and reopened with an entirely different storyline based on the latest movie, with all new scenes and nothing recognizeable from the original except the name...you would call that a "refurb"? Oh, please.
    You can call it something other than a refurb if the term irks you so much, really you can.

It's Star Tours with a new film and upgraded technology, but it is still Star Tours and so it is different from your example from USH. Please feel free to call the project anything you feel compelled (obsessed?) to call it, but do have enough respect for others to allow them to label it as they see fit as well.

As to an entirely different "storyline"...where did you get your information? The "storyline" (what most refer to as the "theme" of the attraction) is we are a group of galactic tourists being taken via a shuttle to vacation on an exotic world (Endor for the riginal version) and the trip has some misshaps and detours. As far as I have read, this basic storyline will still be in place except that via the new film the destination will no longer be Endor and the new technology will make it even more interactive than before. Upgrade, refurb, revisioning...what ever floats each individuals boat.

Leave a comment:

• disneyfann121
    replied

Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    I don't see the point here since DLR is not replacing the Star Tours attraction with an attraction of a different subject which is what was done at USH in the case you mention above.

From what I have read, the Star Tours "refurb" (I really don't think the label of the project is something to nit pick anyway) will consist of upgrading the current simulators so that they can be in sinc and work with the new films that have already been shot. There will also be some minor theme improvements and cleaning up of the queue area. The time frame given seems ample for that kind of stuff.
    Let's see...a completely new ride film, based on the prequels instead of the original Star Wars movies, in 3D, with many variable storylines, interactive elements, and a state of the art simulator...that's what you call a mere "refurbishment"?

This isn't nitpicking, this is a fundamental difference. Every refurb I ever heard of involves touching up and sprucing up the existing elements and settings -- not replacing all of it with completely new scenes and technology that shames the original. Some refurbs involve little more than fixing up a few AAs and adding a fresh coat of paint.

Have you ever heard of a "refurb" that took over ten years to prepare? Star Tours II has been in development for longer than that. If Indy closed down and reopened with an entirely different storyline based on the latest movie, with all new scenes and nothing recognizeable from the original except the name...you would call that a "refurb"? Oh, please.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 12-01-2009, 01:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BiggestDisneyFan
    replied

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    Call me crazy, but who said anything about getting new simulators?
    I'm not sure anyone from Disney specifically said anything about getting new simulators, but from all of the new effects and ride features that are reportedly being added, if the old simulators were going to be used, they would have to be gutted to basically nothing more than a shell, and rebuild from there. Also, all of the mechanisms involved in movement would likely have to be replaced.

Leave a comment:

• Goofy Daddy
    replied

It's a sequel, with completely upgraded technology. That's not a refurb by any stretch of the definition. Was it a "refurb" when Universal replaced Back to the Future with the Simpsons ride?
    I don't see the point here since DLR is not replacing the Star Tours attraction with an attraction of a different subject which is what was done at USH in the case you mention above.

From what I have read, the Star Tours "refurb" (I really don't think the label of the project is something to nit pick anyway) will consist of upgrading the current simulators so that they can be in sinc and work with the new films that have already been shot. There will also be some minor theme improvements and cleaning up of the queue area. The time frame given seems ample for that kind of stuff.

Leave a comment:

• BiggestDisneyFan
    replied

Wow... An argument over the semantics of the word 'Refurb' or 'Refurbishment' and whether it only applies to sprucing up a ride or also to upgrading a ride's parts and mechanisms. Only in MC, folks!

Anywho... I think that a six month time frame is pretty reasonable for upgrading Star Tours. As others have already pointed out, since it is a simulator, much of the moving parts can be built off-site, and the 'movie' portion has largely already been (or is currently in the process of being) filmed. Also, I'm willing to bet that building or re-building something like a simulator, which moves up and down (etc.) on pneumatic or hydraulic actuators, but doesn't actually go anywhere, takes a lot less actual construction than tearing out and replacing tracks, aligning those tracks properly, getting the vehicles, timing and braking just right, etc.

My thoughts are that the majority of the six months will be spent on re-doing (a nice, safe verb, unlike 'refurbishing') the queue, and getting the programming of the vehicle movements, along with the timing of the movie, just right. It'll be more high-tech adjustment and less hard construction.

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied

Call me crazy, but who said anything about getting new simulators?

Leave a comment:

• disneyfann121
    replied

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    The word "refurbishment" can mean many things in the English language. It could be something as simple as a "rehab" .. like the annual rehabs all Disneyland rides go through .. to repaint, clean up, replace worn parts, etc. It can also mean renovation too. And in a sense ... Star Tours IS going through a renovation. Almost a complete overhaul. But not quite. The word "overhaul" was used for Tomorrowland back in 1967. They did whole-sale demolishen across the board! And struck up brand new buildings in it's place. They are not tearing down the entire Star Tours building .. and erecting a totally different experience in it's place. It's still the basic premise - motion-based "flight" similator. It's a new journey with some new 21st Century tricks.
    It's a sequel, with completely upgraded technology. That's not a refurb by any stretch of the definition. Was it a "refurb" when Universal replaced Back to the Future with the Simpsons ride?

Leave a comment:

• Tomorrowland_1967
    replied

Originally posted by villagecreator View Post
    A little off topic, anyone know what is involved in the somewhat long refurb of next door Starcade in the Spring? Maybe reopening the 2nd floor?
    Is Starcade listed as going down for refurb next year? Or the next?

And why would they bother .. with a pending over-all plan to renovate the entire land? Which is slated sometime in the early part of the next decade.

Leave a comment:

• Tomorrowland_1967
    replied

It's not a refurbishment at all. It's a completely new and high tech sequel to the original, with an entirely different film and technologically light years (so to speak) ahead of Star Tours.
    The word "refurbishment" can mean many things in the English language. It could be something as simple as a "rehab" .. like the annual rehabs all Disneyland rides go through .. to repaint, clean up, replace worn parts, etc. It can also mean renovation too. And in a sense ... Star Tours IS going through a renovation. Almost a complete overhaul. But not quite. The word "overhaul" was used for Tomorrowland back in 1967. They did whole-sale demolishen across the board! And struck up brand new buildings in it's place. They are not tearing down the entire Star Tours building .. and erecting a totally different experience in it's place. It's still the basic premise - motion-based "flight" similator. It's a new journey with some new 21st Century tricks.

Leave a comment:

• Wally
    replied

Originally posted by villagecreator View Post
    A little off topic, anyone know what is involved in the somewhat long refurb of next door Starcade in the Spring? Maybe reopening the 2nd floor?
    Don't know. Just speculation, but would not be surprised if Starcade and Star Trader got fixed up before Star Tours 2 given all the extra attention the area will get, and will probably have re-theming to bring it closer in line with the Star Tours 2 storyline. Just my humble guess.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X