• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Projected Tron Theme For PeopleMover Replacement

Wall-E is Tomorrowland!

one hundred and one

Comment

I would like a ride that is the future of mass transportation...where it moves people and gives them a grand circle ride of Tomorrowland. Called The People Mover

Comment

As much as I LOVE TRON, it's one of my favorite movies, and the 1 part of my User name was inspired by it (Alan1 ) (that and look at the shirt in my current avatar ), it seems I am opposed to this idea.... My logic is this: TRON takes place in THE COMPUTER WORLD, and I don't really like the idea of taking the film out of context. Lightcycles in the real world? No thanks. I mean, I suppose that they can make it work if the cycles are simulated projection type thing (if that makes any sense at all), but they'd have to set the story up right in the queue/ pre-show area. Like ENCOM has created a new computer program that creates digital simulations in the real world and they want to share/ test with guests. Or something like that. It would make it sick to my stomach to just have lightcycles up on the track with no sort of back story explaining why they're there. It would have to be done right. If there is no such backstory explaining why they're out in the open air in the real world, then I'd rather just see the return of an updated PeopleMover with another visit into the computer world of TRON (Legacy), with getting the names of the character's names right this time... Disney, MCP stands for Master CONTROL Program, not Master Computer Program... you'd think they'd get the names of their own characters right. From what I've seen in the YouTube videos of the attraction (sadly this is another attraction I have no recollection of, but could have gone on.), the transition was handled well, with getting digitized onto the game grid. However I couldn't tell how you exited the tunnel, I assume it was through the "illegal exit" that was created from the lightcycle crashing into the wall?

But hey, from all we know, TRON Legacy could provide a way to tie lightcycles into the vacant track left by the PeopleMover and Rocket Rods. The film is still over a year away from it's release. (1 year 18 days... :geek: )

END OF LINE.
        Last edited by disneyjedi1; 11-29-2009, 09:59 PM.
        sigpic
        http://disneyjedi1.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
          Wall-E is Tomorrowland!
          You mean the everyday life of the AXIOM? That's a disturbing thought. :blink:
          sigpic

Comment

other: Incredibles!

Comment

Originally posted by Nautilus View Post
              Tony Baxter wants Lightcycles on the track.
              I thought he just wanted the Tron theme... I interpreted that as having an updated SuperSpeed Tunnel. I'm not sure how Light Cycles would work as a slow-moving PeopleMover-style attraction. It'd make way more sense as a Rocket Rods-style attraction, but I highly doubt Disney's willing to do anything similar to Rocket Rods again. I think they learned their lesson on that one.

Comment

Well .. for those who are familiar with the Light Cycle scenes in Tron .. those vehicles travel at a high velocity. To simulate the scene from the movie(s - 1982,2011) .... we're talking "Rocket Rods" speed. Hence, the second attempt to create a high speed thrill attraction on those tracks.

I remember a poster here mentioned they ran into Mr. Baxter .. and he said he wants a "Tron" Light Cycle attraction ... well ... take that with a grain of salt. He was also quoted to like to do a Peoplemover type experience with the same 60s kitsch type "elevator" music .. as part of the "show".

Another thing to consider .... that the only theme that is going to work is going to be whatever the overall, arching theme Tomorrowland will have in it's future.

If a overall plan is in the works .. then hopefully they are working on a UNIFORM theme that ties every building .. every piece into one unifying theme ... as the land had in 1967.

Currently .. it's a hodge-podge of multiple "Frankenstein" themes.
                MY SIGNATURE:
                Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

I agree that the poll isn't exactly fair. All the other choices were awful, so I chose Rocket Rods. At least it's a Tomorrowland original.

Comment

Update of the original design, with modern technology, similar to WDW. Please.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuddles McHenry View Post
                      Update of the original design, with modern technology, similar to WDW. Please.
                      As much as I would love this, it's generally believed that this is not possible due to safety regulations. There must be some way of preventing guests from touching nearby walls as they pass them, either by enclosing the pods, blocking the sides, or strapping guests' arms down roller-coaster style.

My vote goes to egg-shaped pods, pretty much looking exactly like an Incredipod, but without an Incredibles theme and with an open front for ventilation. The pods would rotate like the Doom Buggies on the HM, pre-programmed with narration to have you look in a certain direction.

Comment

You could modify the design of the ride vehicles from Knotts' Pony Express into light cycles fairly easily. Obviously to avoid Rocket Rods 2.0 the track would need some decent modifications.

credit Darkbeer for the photo
                        Last edited by goofypirate; 11-30-2009, 12:50 PM.
                        I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post

That is absolutely classic. ROFL! Thanks for posting this!

Comment

For those who have not ridden Pony Express (I have) .... it's a terribly awkward sitting position. For a large scale attraction attracting millions each year in DL ... they would have to come up with a more comfortable way of sitting.
                            MY SIGNATURE:
                            Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
                              Why does it have to be another movie tie-in? A transportation system of the future is a perfect theme. Pretty soon, Tomorrowland will become Movieland if it keeps getting all these character tie-ins!!!

Exactly. Showcasing transportation of the future was Walt's intent (monorail, autopia, rocket jets, people mover, train). It didn't need a movie tie-in. But that's how people are nowadays. They seem to need a tie-in. I didn't see anything wrong with the original PeopleMover. It was a nice little relaxing ride. It was perfect whenever I was tired and needed a rest and it went all over Tomorrowland. Simple, but effective.

I thought Wall-E was a snooze.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                                For those who have not ridden Pony Express (I have) .... it's a terribly awkward sitting position. For a large scale attraction attracting millions each year in DL ... they would have to come up with a more comfortable way of sitting.
                                but imagine how the sitting position would be if it was applied to the lightcyles! (this is assuming they'd be accurate, and also assuming that the design would be based on TRON Legacy)

(pic found here Google Image Result for http://hellforleathermagazine.com/images/Tron_LightCycle.jpg , since I couldn't really figure out how to post my own photos of it...)

much more comfortable, right?
                                sigpic

Comment

IF this is what Tony Baxter wants to push .. and has his way ... I'll bet they'll attempt a seating format similar to Rocket Rods. With a "Light Cycle" chassis/skin designed around the frame to each vehicle.

But I really hope they don't do this.

If Tony, and his crew want to push a Tron type attraction ... it should be all indoors ... because half the visual to such an idea ... is light. Hence the name - light cycle. How is such an idea going to come off during the day light hours? Take a summer day where nighttime comes around 8:30pm. 70 percent of the time .. the ride is in daylight hours ... with the remaining 30 percent OR LESS is in the night.

A "Tron" type attraction needs to be contained within a showbuilding where there's CONTROLLED lighting. So the imagineers can do what they want .. depending on the attraction's visual aesthetic.

And in the case of a "Tron Light Cycle" attraction .. In order to pull off the visual aesthetic correctly throughout a full day at Disneyland ... it needs to be a concept that keeps it firmly indoors.
                                  MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
                                    I would like a ride that is the future of mass transportation...where it moves people and gives them a grand circle ride of Tomorrowland. Called The People Mover
                                    Naahhhh....It'd never work.)
                                    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                                      If Tony, and his crew want to push a Tron type attraction ... it should be all indoors ...
                                      And so...one more great reason NOT to do a light-cycle theme at all. Part of the TL "look and feel" I truly hope we can get back is the way the old TL was all tied together by colorful vehicles moving between the buildings, with movement everywhere. If all we have is a bunch of rides inside of buildings, we won't get that awesome look back.

Comment

Originally posted by goofypirate View Post
                                        You could modify the design of the ride vehicles from Knotts' Pony Express into light cycles fairly easily. Obviously to avoid Rocket Rods 2.0 the track would need some decent modifications.

credit Darkbeer for the photo
                                        I was thinking the same thing, but I was also thinking about how much something like this would bog down the hourly attendance figures. Could you imagine how many hours long the line would be if every guest had to get shoehorned into a lightcycle like this? Let alone the loading deck conveyor would somehow have to be able to stop the cycle long enough to get a guest loaded.

Alternately you could just make it a lightcycle shell with a sliding door that opens to a 2 passenger seat or bench inside.

Comment

Originally posted by skimouse View Post
                                          And so...one more great reason NOT to do a light-cycle theme at all. Part of the TL "look and feel" I truly hope we can get back is the way the old TL was all tied together by colorful vehicles moving between the buildings, with movement everywhere. If all we have is a bunch of rides inside of buildings, we won't get that awesome look back.
                                          And with that in mind .... I'm really hoping on a Peoplemover 2.0

Not a return of what was there from 1967 to 1995. But just borrowing on the basic premise. Nothing more. Something traveling at a leisurely speed .. just as the original did ..... making it friendly to all those .. of all ages.

I even thought of them SLIGHTLY borrowing from the Incredi-Pods idea ....... just don't tie it to the cartoon! Just use the basic design as INSPIRATION.

Like the former Peoplemover which had 4 cars for each train, the capacity was amazing! Today's DL crowds are heavy. Anyone just read Al's latest update? 920,000 APs. Due to cross over the million mark early next year.

Picture something kind of similar to Incredi-Pods .. tie 4 into a single train. Make them colorful.

It will absorb LOTS of people ....... and that needs to be the focus with crowds that are over the top.

If they try to attempt another thrill ride, AKA Rocket Rods, that means interspersing vehicles that can only handle 2-3 people at a time. And that's just not going to do with today's 21st Century crowds.

For anyone who remembers ..... the lines for Rocket Rods were awful! And all for a ride that lasted less than 3 minutes.

I sincerely hope Tony Baxter is taking all these factors into consideration.
                                          Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 12-02-2009, 03:51 PM.
                                          MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X