X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Projected Tron Theme For PeopleMover Replacement

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    IF this is what Tony Baxter wants to push .. and has his way ... I'll bet they'll attempt a seating format similar to Rocket Rods. With a "Light Cycle" chassis/skin designed around the frame to each vehicle.

But I really hope they don't do this.

If Tony, and his crew want to push a Tron type attraction ... it should be all indoors ... because half the visual to such an idea ... is light. Hence the name - light cycle. How is such an idea going to come off during the day light hours? Take a summer day where nighttime comes around 8:30pm. 70 percent of the time .. the ride is in daylight hours ... with the remaining 30 percent OR LESS is in the night.

A "Tron" type attraction needs to be contained within a showbuilding where there's CONTROLLED lighting. So the imagineers can do what they want .. depending on the attraction's visual aesthetic.

And in the case of a "Tron Light Cycle" attraction .. In order to pull off the visual aesthetic correctly throughout a full day at Disneyland ... it needs to be a concept that keeps it firmly indoors.
    I agree, I've already stated my problems with it being outside previously on this thread, so I won't repeat....

And I don't know if I'd like a similar seating to Rocket Rods.... that just isn't a lightcycle. I think that might be a major problem with my opinion though, as I want them to be ACCURATE in the design. :geek: Lightcycles fit one person and I don't see how that is practical for an attraction. I also can't picture the way that they'd be expanded in order to accommodate more than 1 per vehicle. In my opinion it would ruin the awesomeness of the lightcyle's design.

I say put a new incarnation of the PeopleMover up on the track and have a potential TRON attraction maybe in the Innoventions building. (and hey you still get your glimpse into the world of TRON. :razz And what type of ride are we looking at here? A coaster or something like Indy? I can potentially see a coaster type format working if they decide to go with Legacy's design style, but if it was more like the first (which I now doubt) I'd rather see something more like Indy.

Originally posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
    Alternately you could just make it a lightcycle shell with a sliding door that opens to a 2 passenger seat or bench inside.
    or use the Light Runner instead. It fits two.

sigpic
    http://disneyjedi1.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by disneyjedi1 View Post
      And what type of ride are we looking at here? A coaster or something like Indy?
      I thought of a hybrid simulator/"Soarin' over California" idea .. with projections that surround. Kind of similar in concept to the Super Speed Tunnel in the Peoplemover ... but on a MUCH more advanced level.

What would be funny .... If the Innoventions building becomes a "Tron" attraction. Sort of an omen .. with the Peoplemover "Super Speed Tron tunnel" that went through the building years before!!
      MY SIGNATURE:
      Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

By the way ... I'm not trying to bore people with yet MORE armchair imagineering thoughts. What I'm interested in ... is hypothesizing what is possibly going on behind closed doors within imagineering.

I like trying to get into practical solutions that make sense, that Disney may be looking at - ALREADY.

And not waste time on ideas that will never come to fruition.
        MY SIGNATURE:
        Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

By the way ... I'm not trying to bore people with yet MORE armchair imagineering thoughts. What I'm interested in ... is hypothesizing what is possibly going on behind closed doors within imagineering.

I like trying to get into practical solutions that make sense, that Disney may be looking at - ALREADY.

And not waste time on ideas that will never come to fruition.
          Yeah I think I need to stop thinking about this... haha my creative juices have started to flow (why can't it be for my school work instead?!?!)

But... wasting time on things like that is sooo much fun! )
          sigpic

Comment

There's a level of fun to it ....
            but for me ....
            I prefer to stick with ideas imagineering is actually considering.

People can post away idea, after idea, after idea ... and then comes the reality - Disney is not going to do it.

Not only do they stay clear of forums like this ....
            but if anyone tries to pass on an idea in letter form ....
            they'll get a letter written back .. with their original letter mailed right back to them.

Disney does not want to get into legal issues with fans trying to give them ideas .. when you could sue.

That's why they have a hired staff of creatives who sit down, and give them ideas.
            MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

There's a level of fun to it ....
              but for me ....
              I prefer to stick with ideas imagineering is actually considering.

People can post away idea, after idea, after idea ... and then comes the reality - Disney is not going to do it.

Not only do they stay clear of forums like this ....
              but if anyone tries to pass on an idea in letter form ....
              they'll get a letter written back .. with their original letter mailed right back to them.

Disney does not want to get into legal issues with fans trying to give them ideas .. when you could sue.

That's why they have a hired staff of creatives who sit down, and give them ideas.

That's true. Most of the time for me it's just for amusement. But he,y for some it's their inspiration and practice for pursuing a career in Imagineering.

And I'm very aware of this policy, I once attempted to give Disney a suggestion (it wasn't about the parks but towards movies.). Now I was pretty young (okay it was like 4 years ago, but I'm not that old), and I knew nothing about the policy and was only thinking about how it could benefit the company, never thought about lawsuits. I was pretty upset when I got the reply letter, but now I have a better understanding of how the company operates.

And wow... It seems I'm making this thread go off topic. XD

soooooo... PeopleMover. TRON Overlay. What do you think?
              sigpic

Comment

I think it's great that there are plenty people who do have fertile imaginations ... I do think though .. the amount of "ideas" topics in Micechat get a bit overwhelming at times ... when I know for fact that there's a 99.999999 percent chance .. none of those ideas will ever happen. And if they do .. that's only because of coincidence.

I'm not head of micechat .. but if I could pass on a suggestion to the administrators I would suggest a different word for the "IDEA" topics.

It's a nice thought to think imagineers come to this forum to get ideas from it. But they are also aware of the problems that come from that too .. and I'm willing to bet the farm .. they would rather protect their jobs than "borrow" ideas from bloggers.
                MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

Now back on "ideas" for the Peoplemover track!

LOL

:lol:

But seriously .. what I enjoy are the topics where we are trying to get into the minds at Imagineering to figure out what they actually got conjuring up for the future.

And I'm trying to think this out logically, practically, and pragmatically .. and come to some conclusion as to what will work on the Peoplemover track.

Disney's own idea here - Light Cycles is great. But Earth is not on 24 hour dark cycles .. now is it?

We do have daylight. LOL

So therefore ... an idea where more than half the theme reliant on darkness .. is not exactly PRACTICAL.
                  MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

That and we're out in the real world and not that of the computer.
                    sigpic

Comment

Now .. Tony Baxter is no idiot. An imagineer of the 00's, 90s, 80s, AND 70s ... I'm sure he must have thought out that issue.

So .... if it's in his plan to include a "Tron" type attraction .. hopefully ... it will be something totally contained within it's own showbuilding. And the Peoplemover track saved for a non-thrill, low speed attraction, as I feel it should be.
                      MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

Now back on "ideas" for the Peoplemover track!

LOL

:lol:

But seriously .. what I enjoy are the topics where we are trying to get into the minds at Imagineering to figure out what they actually got conjuring up for the future.

And I'm trying to think this out logically, practically, and pragmatically .. and come to some conclusion as to what will work on the Peoplemover track.

Disney's own idea here - Light Cycles is great. But Earth is not on 24 hour dark cycles .. now is it?

We do have daylight. LOL

So therefore ... an idea where more than half the theme reliant on darkness .. is not exactly PRACTICAL.
                        Are you familiar with virtual reality helmets? Or the Aladdin "simulator" at DisneyQuest at WDW? Where basically, a computerized helmet lowers over your head and feeds different images to both of your eyes, creating a 3D image.

What if they combined this visual "helmet" effect with the Rocket Rod ride system, with helmets stylized to the one like the Light Cyclist wears here:

When guests board the ride, the helmet would lower each person's eyes, and as guests sped the track they would "see" the 3D world of Tron. Then when the guests rode inside the Innoventions building, the helmet would come off and they would see the real 3D world of Tron.

This way, guests would get to have exciting, realistic ride through Tron, while the outdoor PeopleMover would get to maintain its visual kinetics.

I'm armchairing my own Tomorrowland, which features something more like a blend between the Incredipods and PeopleMover, so this is just an idea... uh, or a suggestion...

Actually, would this be considered an "idea" or are we getting into the minds of Imagineers here? :lol:
                        Last edited by MarkTwain; 12-02-2009, 10:11 PM. Reason: can't seem to get my semantics right

Comment

but that still doesn't explain why there are lightcycles in the real world... i probably should stop repeating this... But it's my main issue with the idea for the attraction. I'm fine if they can convincingly tell a story and explain to guests why the lightcycles are there.
                          sigpic

Comment

Of the established choices, I'd go for:

1) The Incredibles Pods -- The design and speed of enclosed egg-shaped vehicles that swivel and rotate totally fit ultramodern Tomorrowland on an outdoor track and take advantage of the scenic Tomorrowland views.

2) TRON Light Cycles -- I've always loved this theme best - - and the design of the original movie, and used to imagine just such a ride up there -- But after the RocketRods I fear for the success of a fast ride up there - I imagine it would have to involve "virtual" solutions.

3) I'm all for a simple PeopleMover with expanded indoor TRON scenes and super speed tunnels - maybe with 3-D effects.

By the way - - I'd encourage those with vivid Imaginations to keep dreaming and posting -- the original ideas are fabulous and fun to read. Insiders DO read them even if they don't act on them - - and even if they didn't -- never let bossy voices kill your creativity -- particularly in a forum in which they have no influence or control. There is always the corporate world for them.

Share your dreams!

Keep the fires of creativity and speculation burning at all times, no matter who complains!!! That's how Tomorrowland should always be! That's the Tomorrowland we can create together - - even if only in our imaginations.

Comment

I personally would like to see the old peoplemover style vehicles return as long as OSHA regulations don't make them feel like a sweat prison inside, otherwise I'm all about making it Tron'ned out. I would love to see the majority of the revitalization budget go towards updating the show effects and sound technology for the attraction. Rocket Rods was an extreme failure in regards to theming and I would be dissappointed to see something like this happen to any peoplemover revitalization project.

Comment

>>I would love to see the majority of the revitalization budget go towards updating the show effects and sound technology for the attraction.<<

This should always be the case!

Comment

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
                                  >>I would love to see the majority of the revitalization budget go towards updating the show effects and sound technology for the attraction.<<

This should always be the case!
                                  It wasn't the case in Rocket Rods.

Comment

>>It wasn't the case in Rocket Rods.<<

Nor Pooh nor Toy Story, etc. - - but it SHOULD have been!

Comment

Same basic principle as before...riding at a nice leisurely 6 mph...but with all new look.

No toon tie in! No live-action film tie in, either.

Kept family friendly .. with "family friendly" speeds ... giving nice bird's eye view of the land for 15 minutes.
                                      Not a minute less than the original!
                                      Seconded.

Comment

The Tron idea sounds great except theyd have to figure out the daylight problem though.

Comment

Originally posted by stitchon View Post
                                          I've been recommending a TRON Lightcycles-themed Vekoma Booster Bike ride for longest time... I'd love a ride like that.
                                          A Vekoma Bike at Disney Park? Really good idea but, seriously, ew. The parks have enough Vekomas. Honestly, the concept is cool but considering Disney there will be a really low chance of it happening.
                                          California Screamin' Ride Count: 111

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X