• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ride Warrior
    Iron-Clad Allie
    • Feb 2005

[Rumor] Projected Tron Theme For PeopleMover Replacement

The newest PeopleMover replacement ride rumor being bandied about among bloggers on the net is that it will take on a Tron theme. The rationale is quite understandable. In the near future, Disney will be rereleasing a new video game based on Tron. Moreover, the company will be releasing it's new special effects laden Tron Legacy film (in Disney 3-D, IMAX3-D) on December 17, 2010. Plus, the Tron tunnel of the original PM makes in a mini theme that has already successfully been used.

Other PM replacement rumblings have projected themes connected with StarWars (Star Speeder racing bikes), the transit systems featured respectfully in WALL-E and the Robinson's. Enclosed egg shaped
    vehicles that swivel and rotate are yet another rumored possibility.

The ride is expected to debut in 2011 or 2012. What type of a replacement do you hope to see. A poll will soon be up.
    Tron Theme (Possibly Light Cycles)
    31.79%
    WALL-E Theme (Possibly Futuristic Mass Transit System)
    24.50%
    Robinson's Theme (Possibly Futuristic Mass Transit System)
    6.62%
    StarTours Theme (Possibly StarSpeeder Racing Bikes)
    2.65%
    Enclosed Egg Shaped Vehicles That Swivel and Rotate
    16.56%
    Turn the track route into a roller coaster extension of Space Mountain.
    4.64%
    Rebuild Track For Return of Rocket Rods
    6.62%
    Balloon Ride That Is Tethered To Portable Devises That Move Along The Track
    0.00%
    Stealth Fighters Or Harrier Hover Jets Tethered To Portable Devices That Move Along The Track
    0.00%
    Other / Or... Don't care for any PM ride replacement. I'll just call a cab.
    6.62%
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• AlohaStitch
    "Always On The Move..."
    • Jun 2005

Re: Projected Tron Theme For PeopleMover Replacement

The Star Wars Speeder Bike theme was discussed years ago, (before the Rocket Rods went up.) I believe there was actually concept art regarding it, but questions about safety (riding "bikes") killed the idea.
    Originally posted by migo
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Comment

• Mr. Gaston
      MiceChatter
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post
      The newest PeopleMover replacement ride rumor being bandied about among bloggers on the net is that it will take on a Tron theme. The rationale is quite understandable. In the near future, Disney will be rereleasing a new video game based on Tron. Moreover, the company will be releasing it's new special effects laden Tron Legacy film (in Disney 3-D, IMAX3-D) on December 17, 2010. Plus, the Tron tunnel of the original PM makes in a mini theme that has already successfully been used.

Other PM replacement rumblings have projected themes connected with StarWars (Star Speeder racing bikes), the transit systems featured respectfully in WALL-E and the Robinson's. Enclosed egg shaped

The ride is expected to debut in 2011 or 2012. What type of a replacement do you hope to see. A poll will soon be up.
      I think that Wall-E would be pretty cool but....

TRON = EPIC WIN.

Comment

• disneylandfan95
        MiceChatter
        • Oct 2008

Why does it have to be another movie tie-in? A transportation system of the future is a perfect theme. Pretty soon, Tomorrowland will become Movieland if it keeps getting all these character tie-ins!!!

Comment

• Tomorrowland_1967
          Artistic integrity
          • Mar 2009

Well .. they are keeping a pretty tight lip on whatever they may have in mind. I'm hoping for a Peoplemover 2.0

Same basic principle as before ..... riding at a nice leisurely 6 mph .. but with all new look.

No toon tie in!
          No live-action film tie in, either.

Kept family friendly .. with "family friendly" speeds ... giving nice bird's eye view of the land for 15 minutes. Not a minute less than the original!
          MY SIGNATURE:
          Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

• Bob Weaver
            MiceChatter
            • Aug 2009

Comment

• Tomorrowland_1967
              Artistic integrity
              • Mar 2009

I think it will be later than that.

Especially if they decide to do anything near "Rocket Rods" speed ... which will require massive re-work on all 4,000 feet of track ... Not to mention the buildings it passes through .. that will require major retrofitting.

I'm willing to bet the farm .... a replacement attraction for those tracks will be part of a whole package that includes a remodeled land, from "stem to stern"!
              MY SIGNATURE:
              Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

• Tomorrowland_1967
                Artistic integrity
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                OH MY GOD .. THAT IS f***ing hysterical !! :lol:
                MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

• Tomorrowland_1967
                  Artistic integrity
                  • Mar 2009

HELLO THERE .....
                  YOU NEED TO FIX SOMETHING THERE IN YOUR POLL.

You need to offer the choice of an All New Design of the '67 Original with no movie tie in at all.

The way you have it skewed ... you put "other" in the same choice for " I don't care".
                  MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

• Tomorrowland_1967
                    Artistic integrity
                    • Mar 2009

>>Enclosed Egg Shaped Vehicles That Swivel and Rotate<<

Is this suppose to be based on "The Incredibles" egg shaped peoplemover on the island?
                    MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

• Tomorrowland_1967
                      Artistic integrity
                      • Mar 2009

>>Balloon Ride That Is Tethered To Portable Devises That Move Along The Track<<

Talking about "UP" ?

>>
                      Stealth Fighters Or Harrier Hover Jets Tethered To Portable Devices That Move Along The Track
                      <<

What?

Your poll needs some work, buddy.
                      MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

• stitchon
                        Banned User
                        • Sep 2006

I've been recommending a TRON Lightcycles-themed Vekoma Booster Bike ride for longest time... I'd love a ride like that.

Comment

• Ride Warrior
                          Iron-Clad Allie
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post

:lmao:

Brilliantly orchestrated imagery, Bob. In light of the retooled Small World boats for today's heavier guests, the PM replacement will likely cater to people on "See Food" diets.

Comment

• disney-fan-reborn
                            Banned User
                            • Jul 2008

Enclosed egg shaped

I have to go with this one. This style of vehicle is found in The Incredibles. However, they don't swivel/rotate.

I actually was thinking of this very same idea the other day. They could swivel/rotate just like BLAB vehicles, EXCEPT in the tunnels where the Imagineers have designed them to be viewed from a certain direction (ie. Space Mountain).

I agree that there should be NO, NONE, movie tie-ins at all. With that being said, I do like the PM in the Wall-E movie (not the individual chairs like in the photos that Bob posted). It can be done WITHOUT a movie tie-in as well!

Comment

• Code90
                              MiceChatter
                              • Dec 2007

Sorry, but I don't think this is a very good poll. How do I vote for a Tron theme without the Light Cycle idea? Your poll is too specific in this regard. Also there's so many choices yet no reference to the original PeopleMover attraction.

On a side note, I'm not a fan of the idea of theming the ride to The Incredibles or Wall-E. Seriously. Tomorrowland already has enough Pixar as it is.

Comment

• Nautilus
                                Collision speed....FULL!
                                • Jun 2006

Tony Baxter wants Lightcycles on the track.

Comment

• PeopleMover Eric
                                  New MiceChatter
                                  • Jul 2008

whack.

Comment

• Ride Warrior
                                    Iron-Clad Allie
                                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                                    I think it will be later than that.

Especially if they decide to do anything near "Rocket Rods" speed ... which will require massive re-work on all 4,000 feet of track ... Not to mention the buildings it passes through .. that will require major retrofitting.

I'm willing to bet the farm .... a replacement attraction for those tracks will be part of a whole package that includes a remodeled land, from "stem to stern"!
                                    I agree with you, Tomorrowland, about the inevitable replacement of the entire track system... in the event that a fast ride is installed. The money is the main obstacle... not the time. If Disney does enough mapping out in advance, there's no reason to beleave that it could't be layed out in two or three years from now... the updating of the building tunnels included.

HELLO THERE .....
                                    YOU NEED TO FIX SOMETHING THERE IN YOUR POLL.

You need to offer the choice of an All New Design of the '67 Original with no movie tie in at all.

The way you have it skewed ... you put "other" in the same choice for " I don't care".
                                    It is quite possible that Disney could decide on a non-themed Peopleover 2.0. To tell you the truth, I'm hoping for a WALL-E based version. But, I'll be ecstatic about any replacement that they decide on.

I knew that I could count on an aficianado such as you to bring forth the notion of a themeless StarTours 2.0 much more dramatically and effectively than if I would have placed it in the poll. :thumbup:

>>Enclosed Egg Shaped Vehicles That Swivel and Rotate<<

Is this suppose to be based on "The Incredibles" egg shaped peoplemover on the island?
                                    Eggzactly! Thought that the egg shapped PM option would work well with those that like the Incredibles theme... but I left it themeless for those that don't like their rides based on movies and Pixar.

>>Balloon Ride That Is Tethered To Portable Devises That Move Along The Track<<

Talking about "UP" ?

>>
                                    <<

What?

Your poll needs some work, buddy.
                                    The ballon notion was actually under consideration at Disneyland Paris several years back... long before Up was even a glimmer in it's parents eyes.

Thought actual military defense attack aircraft might raise the bar as to what park goers consider a thrill ride. :cgrin:

Originally posted by stitchon View Post
                                    I've been recommending a TRON Lightcycles-themed Vekoma Booster Bike ride for longest time... I'd love a ride like that.
                                    TRON Lightcycles are definitely a very real possibility. A ride of this nature would be coolness to the nth power! :thumbup:
                                    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-29-2009, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• Ride Warrior
                                      Iron-Clad Allie
                                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by disney-fan-reborn View Post
                                      I have to go with this one. This style of vehicle is found in The Incredibles. However, they don't swivel/rotate.

I actually was thinking of this very same idea the other day. They could swivel/rotate just like BLAB vehicles, EXCEPT in the tunnels where the Imagineers have designed them to be viewed from a certain direction (ie. Space Mountain).

I agree that there should be NO, NONE, movie tie-ins at all. With that being said, I do like the PM in the Wall-E movie (not the individual chairs like in the photos that Bob posted). It can be done WITHOUT a movie tie-in as well!
                                      Like your ideas on how to carry out the enclosed tilting/swiveling/rotating egg shaped vehicle idea. The Imagineers would need to design the cars so that they follow a controled motion pattern in the tunnels. Very good point, disney-fan-reborn.

Somehow, I agree with you too that the ride would be so much cooler without an overt tie-in to the Incredibles... although I would still be fine with an Incredibles theme... especially if an Elastigirl face character sat next to me on the ride. )

Comment

• skimouse
                                        New MiceChatter
                                        • Mar 2007

I'd like PM 2.0 to be an envelope-pushing prototype of a future urban transit system.

If it HAS to have a movie-based theme (per Rich Ross), I like Wall-E best of the Disney alternatives. Personally, I thought TRON was a lame movie, despite its innovative look and its use of embryonic technology.

As an aside, Disney has a generally weak catalog of science fiction films. That might bode well for the "no movie tie-ins" camp as TL gets re-invented. OR, it might bode poorly for TL ever getting reinvented...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X