Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Main Street Cinema Closes for One Month-Should we be worried?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Main Street Cinema Closes for One Month-Should we be worried?

One month to me seems like an awfully long time to close the Cinema that looks like it needs close to no refurb right now.

Is there cause to be worried that there might be something more involved?

We all know the fate of WDW's Cinema.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

Re: Main Street Cinema Closes for One Month-Should we be worried?

Originally posted by Walt Jr. View Post

We all know the fate of WDW's Cinema.

I don't. What happened down there?
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

Originally posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
      I don't. What happened down there?
      It became a store.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

Originally posted by MasterGracey View Post
        It became a store.

That would not be good.

Comment

I hope it's just maintenance becuase if not, people will start to riot here.
          "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Comment

Probably to replace the projectors with new ones. Hopefully it'll be in high def digital! But thats my guess.

Otherwise, it'll be just a standard refurb of the inside.

The world is a treasure trove of places.
            The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
            Indy Ride Count: 2211
            World of Color Count: 74

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Jr. View Post
              One month to me seems like an awfully long time to close the Cinema that looks like it needs close to no refurb right now.

Is there cause to be worried that there might be something more involved?

You have a sharp eye and mind. There is absolutely cause for concern. This location stops the flow of shopping on the East side of Main Street. You can bet that there are some executives who would love to cut doors in either side of the cinema and make it a shop.

We should dig a little deeper and find out what is really going on.
              MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
              Save

Comment

[QUOTE=Dustysage;1055688405]You have a sharp eye and mind. There is absolutely cause for concern. QUOTE]

C'mon Dusty, no need for alarm here. they would never mess with one of Walt's original attractions. I mean, it's not like they would ever alter TSI for a cheap movie tie-in, or put purple banners all over his Mark Twain, or giant yellow and purple metal and fiberglass envelopes all over Main Street, or cheap little dolls on the interior of Small World, or...

Comment

[quote=ttrocc7007;1055688410]
                  Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                  You have a sharp eye and mind. There is absolutely cause for concern. QUOTE]

C'mon Dusty, no need for alarm here. they would never mess with one of Walt's original attractions. I mean, it's not like they would ever alter TSI for a cheap movie tie-in, or put purple banners all over his Mark Twain, or giant yellow and purple metal and fiberglass envelopes all over Main Street, or cheap little dolls on the interior of Small World, or...
                  Or turn one side of Main Street into a continuous mall. Turn the Penny Arcade into a candy store. Or do as they did at Disney World and enclose Center Street and make it a shop, turn the Fire House into a shop, turn the cinema into a shop, and suck all life and energy out of Main Street .

Thank you for bringing me back to reality, I feel much better about the situation now.
                  MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                  Save

Comment

[quote=Dustysage;1055688421]
                    Originally posted by ttrocc7007 View Post

Or turn one side of Main Street into a continuous mall. Turn the Penny Arcade into a candy store. Or do as they did at Disney World and enclose Center Street and make it a shop, turn the Fire House into a shop, turn the cinema into a shop, and suck all life and energy out of Main Street .

Thank you for bringing me back to reality, I feel much better about the situation now.
                    The only thing I am for is making Walt's apartment into a shop. That may be the only way we can get in there. Hell, I'd even buy a stupid Nemo hat or Rasta Goofy ears.

Comment

[quote=aashee;1055688429]
                      Originally posted by Dustysage View Post

The only thing I am for is making Walt's apartment into a shop. That may be the only way we can get in there. Hell, I'd even buy a stupid Nemo hat or Rasta Goofy ears.
                      Your ears are goofy enough already...

Comment

THE SKY IS FALLING...

now back to this thread.
                        "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

I hope it remains.

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                            THE SKY IS FALLING...

now back to this thread.
                            Bravo, good sir.

Comment

Let's not assume the worst; there were dire predictions about the fate of the Main Street Magic Shop, and it returned far better than it had been in a loooong time....

I was in the Main Street Cinema two weeks ago, and let's face it - there are problems with it. It's pure facade. It looks like a cinema from the outside, and yet inside it is nothing like any cinema that has ever been. No seats? Raised circle in the center for children? Six movies going at once? It's reminiscent of nothing in anybody's nostaglia!

I hope that, if they're taking a month to improve or refurbish it, they will take the opportunity to see the concept of "The Main Street Cinema" all the way through. They should install classic red velvet plush "movie theater" seats. They should have one attention-riveting screen. They should have a live piano player to provide the accompaniment. And lastly, they should sell small bags of popcorn for a nickel.

I certainly don't want another shop in place of the Main Street Cinema. But I could just as certainly appreciate a better, more aesthetically integrated Main Street Cinema.

Comment

I never see anyone in there. Why would they keep it the way it is?

Comment

On hot days it's a great place to duck into to get cooled off for a few minutes!
                                  I want you to know, nobody cares more about your stupid problems than I do!

Comment

I am very concerned. The Main Street Cinema has always been nearly or completely empty when I go inside. I don't know if most guests are aware that they can watch six continuously playing silent Mickey cartoons in there. I enjoy the cinema very much, not just for the nostalgia but for the uniqueness of the experience - the darkness of the room, the rinky-tink piano music, etc. That would all be killed if it became a shop.

Comment

I could see them replacing it with something ridiculous like "Pixar Shorts" which actually I wouldn't mind... in Shanghai Disneyland.

Comment

When I was a kid there would be Steamboat Bill playing, but on the other screens they would show non-Disney films. I still remember laughing my butt off at some previously unseen Buster Keaton shorts. It is a great place for cooling down in July and August, and I would hate like heck to see it vanish into yesterland...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X