Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LOCALS & WEATHER MEN or WOMEN: How likely is rain next week?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] LOCALS & WEATHER MEN or WOMEN: How likely is rain next week?

We are going the 8th - 10th. Weather says 60% Chance of Showers. Do you think that is pouring or just a sprinkle here and there?

I can handle the rain lightly but not a torrential downpour. We are taking my MIL for the first time and I wouldn't want it to be completely spoiled. For me I will be happy with shorter lines.

Also if it does rain would we be able to rent an ECV is needed? My MIL had both knees replaced this year and MIGHT need one. She gets around well but she had been having a problem with swelling in both legs and sometimes needs to get off of them towards the end of the day.

Any recommendations?
    Last edited by leslie_537; 12-01-2009, 04:33 PM.
    --Leslie ~See my photos on FLICKR ~

Re: LOCALS & WEATHER MEN or WOMEN: How likely is rain next week?

Rain = smaller crowds. Rain is mostly avoidable with umbrellas and rain gear, but the crowds are not.

I would recommend instead a non-E wheelchair. There are more wheelchairs, and DL is flat enough for someone to push her. (It's not like SFMM, for example!). It's a great workout! (No, I do not recommend someone wheeling themselves around unless they have built that strength up through daily use.) And if there are more people in your party, you can switch off the pushing.
    Or, if you have one, bring your own.

Forecasts that far in advance have three problems: the probability, the severity, and the timing.

Comment

You simply can't trust local weathermen/women - honestly, they are wrong 90% of the time - weather really IS that hard to predict.

That said, 60% chance means it will likely rain, but could completely miss DLR. We rarely get torrential rain for any length of time. Sprinkles are more the norm. It could be heavy for 10 minutes then let up.

Comment

Originally posted by sediment View Post
        Rain = smaller crowds. Rain is mostly avoidable with umbrellas and rain gear, but the crowds are not.

I would recommend instead a non-E wheelchair. There are more wheelchairs, and DL is flat enough for someone to push her. (It's not like SFMM, for example!). It's a great workout! (No, I do not recommend someone wheeling themselves around unless they have built that strength up through daily use.) And if there are more people in your party, you can switch off the pushing.
        Or, if you have one, bring your own.

Forecasts that far in advance have three problems: the probability, the severity, and the timing.
        She has her own lightweight wheelchair but it doesn't have the handles for someone to push. I have some connections in town and might be able to get her a loaner of a lightweight one with handles. hmmmmm.....

Maybe the crowds will be lighter and we can do everything by 5 or 6 pm and she can go back to the room and not have to worry about the swelling. We are staying at GCH so that is a plan too!

Comment

Originally posted by Mojave View Post
          You simply can't trust local weathermen/women - honestly, they are wrong 90% of the time - weather really IS that hard to predict.

That said, 60% chance means it will likely rain, but could completely miss DLR. We rarely get torrential rain for any length of time. Sprinkles are more the norm. It could be heavy for 10 minutes then let up.
          Depends heavily on which direction the storm is coming from. From the southeast (like early last Saturday) -- usually former wannabe hurricanes-- Anaheim will get rain. If from the north, it might not make it, or it will be six hours later than expected.

leslie, if you're pushing, bring gloves. Weightlifting or bicycle.

Comment

leslie, if you're pushing, bring gloves. Weightlifting or bicycle.

The only thing I will be pushing are my kids in their stroller! It is my husbands mom! She might not even need the wheelchair we will play it by ear.

But now with the whole stroller thing I guess I will bring both. I have a regular stroller and then one that covers in waterproof material. (But that one is a pain)

Thanks so much for your input!!!!

Comment

you're welcome!

Just so's you know, it's not acid rain. Kids can get wet. Sometimes they like it.

Comment

you're welcome!

Just so's you know, it's not acid rain. Kids can get wet. Sometimes they like it.

Well we live in the San Joaquin Valley so our air quality is just as bad! :P Yours is filled with smog and car pollutants our mostly pesticides.

Comment

MAN! I hate when it rains when I am going out of town to have fun.

For most of the time, when the weather.com or news says it going to have 75 to 90% downpour. It never does.

But, when the seven day forecast say there going to be a 40 - 60% showers, it will usually downpour here in my city of Walnut.

Basically is the opposite. shower=downpour, downpour=shower or none
                  My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
                  http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

Comment

Originally posted by leslie_537 View Post
                    Well we live in the San Joaquin Valley so our air quality is just as bad! :P Yours is filled with smog and car pollutants our mostly pesticides.
                    You live in the San Joaquin Valley? The weather here is very similar. Just that it doesn't get as cold in the winter or as hot in the summer. Just for comparison sake the average yearly rainfall in Anaheim is about 14 inches. In Sacramento it is only 3 inches more. And in Bakersfield it is actually several inches less!

A 60% chance is just that -- a 60% chance. I personally don't think it will be that much rain. But if it is an El Nino year like some forecasters say it will be, and this is an El Nino-type storm it can easily rain more than 3-4 inches in a 24 hour period.

Comment

Originally posted by leslie_537 View Post
                      Actually the most polluted area of California is near the little town of Arvin, outside of Bakersfield. Believe it of not this is due to smog coming in from the San Francisco Bay area! The way the winds blow in from the Bay Area and the mountains that surround Arvin trap the pollutants coming in from the Bay Area, casiimg this town to be even more polluted than the LA metro area.
                      Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 12-01-2009, 08:01 PM.

Comment

While I agree completely with Sediments wheelchair suggestion, here's the other side.

July 2008, my oldest son was married in DL, and we all went to the park the next day. My dad has very bad legs. For him to walk 100 yards, would be like either one of us running a marathon. We rented him one of the electric wheelchairs. It cost about $50/day, if I remember.

He loved it! He had no problem getting around in the crowds, and he could go to both DL and DCA with it. He was really dreading not being able to keep up with the rest of us, and the wheelchair was the answer.

Since your MIL can get around to some degree, it might work out if she started out walking, then if she got tired, one of you could go back to the hotel to get the wheelchair. Or just go the the front of the park and rent one.

If it rains hard and you don't want to get drenched, maybe buy some cheap ponchos before you come. You'll pay a LOT less for them at home than at DL. They don't take up much space, and even if you don't bring them back home, you're not out a lot of $$.

One nice thing about the ponchos is a lot of the ride seats get a bit wet, and the poncho will keep your hind end dry. Well, sort of dry anyway!

Rob.

P.S. My next trip was planned for around the time you'll be there, but due to having to design and build the electrical system of a small refining plant, it'll likely be put off until after the first of the year. Oh well...

Comment

I've got $10 bucks that says it won't rain...I don't care WHAT the weather"person" says.
                          Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
                          Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

Originally posted by CMHusband View Post
                            I've got $10 bucks that says it won't rain...I don't care WHAT the weather"person" says.
                            I'm with you. Most of these storms wimp out and end up never really giving us any good rain, and these weather guys are COMPLETELY guessing this far out. You could see that 60 percent drop to 10 percent the night before, or bounce up to 90. If you want to get inside their heads a bit and see what they are really thinking, go to

7-Day Forecast for Latitude 33.82N and Longitude 117.92W (Elev. 105 ft)

and scroll down to the bottom and look under "Forecast Discussion." You'll end up with comments like:

LONG TERM (SATURDAY-TUESDAY)...THE STORM TRACK IS EXPECTED TO
                            BECOME QUITE ACTIVE LATE IN THE WEEKEND THROUGH MUCH OF NEXT WEEK AS
                            A STRONG PACIFIC JET UNDERCUTS A LARGE RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE NEAR
                            ALASKA. THIS PATTERN WOULD FAVOR WET WEATHER FOR SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
                            BEGINNING AROUND MONDAY. THE ECMWF CONTINUES TO BE THE PREFERRED
                            MODEL OF CHOICE. IT BRINGS THE TROUGH RAPIDLY THROUGH MONDAY WITH
                            MOIST WLY FLOW...RAIN AND MOUNTAIN SNOW CONTINUING INTO TUESDAY.
                            ALTHOUGH THERE ARE DIFFERENCES WITH THE GFS...IT HAS BEEN COMING
                            MORE IN LINE WITH THE ECMWF AS OF LATE...INCREASING CONFIDENCE OF
                            WIDESPREAD RAINFALL EARLY NEXT WEEK. IN ADDITION TO THE CHANCE FOR
                            RAIN...LOCALLY GUSTY WINDS ARE EXPECTED IN THE MOUNTAINS AND
                            DESERTS.
                            But all of that could change on a dime.

Most of us are really jaded by this point. During the last two years, I've seen several "storms" go from 100% chance to "Whoops. My bad...I meant to say sunny and 78 degrees" in a matter of minutes. We'll believe it will rain after it starts raining.

In the mean time....I'm thinking about moving to Seattle.

Hate California weather. Hate...Hate Hate. Loathe entirely. :thumbdown:

In the off chance that it DOES actually rain, ponchos are the way to go...especially if it gets a bit windy as the forecast mentions above.

Comment

Let me add one more thing for Leslie. If it DOES rain next Tues or Wed, I predict you will be in the park at the MOST emptiest time of the year. Last year, during the same time period in early December, they actually CLOSED Disneyland early due to the lack of crowds after the temperature hovered in the 40's with moderate rain all day. I hadn't seen it that empty since 1977. The first shot in my sig below was taken on that day, and you can see how many people were there. I believe I took that shot around 10 AM.

So...THAT would be the upside. Walk on to all of the rides (most will remain open in the rain) and hardly any lines for restaurants, etc. On the downside, you might lose the parades and outside entertainment.

I LOVE Disneyland in the rain!

Comment

I am going the 9th thru the 12th and am getting bummed about the rain forecast, too. Right now it shows 100% chance of rain each day with 25 mile per hour winds. A little rain would be okay - but that will be a bit much if it is true. As I am sure the parade, fireworks and Fantasmic! would all be cancelled. Not to mention travelling with possibility of snow over the Grapevine. Will just keep my fingers crossed, I guess!

Comment

I was there in the rain and cold that week two years ago (the park never got near 60 in the daytime, and dipped below 40 at night), and I had a GREAT time. The place was so empty, CMs were almost begging us to ride. No fooling. Just invest in a good warm jacket, an umbrella and plenty of hot chocolate.
                                  First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
                                  First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
                                  BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

Ok this what the Weather channel and weather.com show for Disneyland area.

Sat
                                    Dec 5

Cloudy

Sun
                                    Dec 6

Partly Cloudy

Mon
                                    Dec 7

Showers

Tue
                                    Dec 8

Few Showers

Wed
                                    Dec 9

Showers

Thu
                                    Dec 10

Showers

Fri
                                    Dec 11

Mostly Cloudy

Last Updated Dec 02, 7:46 AM PT

Right now show only 10% for sunday.

Toy Story Mania construction:
                                    Older photo
                                    New Photo

Member of
                                    MiceChat WDW Trip
                                    Next trip
                                    2014 Dec, 31

Comment

Rain at Disneyland is the greatest thing.

Everything looks really neat in the rain, crowds will split at the first sight of a raindrop, and most of the rides stay open.

Just a reminder, even if you have a poncho make sure to bring an extra pair of socks or waterproof boots or something... It's easy to keep your head and torso dry but there are puddles so your feet will probably get wet, and wet feet at a theme park are really annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by The International View Post
                                        Rain at Disneyland is the greatest thing.

Everything looks really neat in the rain, crowds will split at the first sight of a raindrop, and most of the rides stay open.

Just a reminder, even if you have a poncho make sure to bring an extra pair of socks or waterproof boots or something... It's easy to keep your head and torso dry but there are puddles so your feet will probably get wet, and wet feet at a theme park are really annoying.
                                        Agreed. My fav is the Matterhorn in the rain. Every opening you pass through you get pelted, it's funny.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X