Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LOCALS & WEATHER MEN or WOMEN: How likely is rain next week?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capt Hook
    replied
    Re: LOCALS & WEATHER MEN or WOMEN: How likely is rain next week?

It sounds like I'm going to the park on the 9th rain or no rain but if it rains then I may not get to see Tiana's riverboat show cause I don't think they would do the show in the rain and I still haven't seen her yet.

Leave a comment:

• Mac Daddy
    replied

Originally posted by sediment View Post
    Quick note: DL closes at 6PM Monday and Tuesday of next week for Cast Member Family Holiday Parties. (This includes Cast Members from Burbank and Glendale, not just the Anaheim ones.) DCA will be open later.
    This has been going on for-nearly-ever.
    Sediment - Thanks for the reminder about the early closure on Monday. I hope it doesn't rain too much on the CM party.

As for people who actually go to the park on Monday, if it IS raining, I would wager that with the combined shorter day due to the 6:00 pm closing time along with the rain, it could easily be the smallest crowd of the year...maybe under five or ten thousand?

As for last year, I had to dig around a little to find my old thread. The shot in my sig would have been taken on a Wendesday, last December 18th at 9:30 AM. I believe the park had already been open for 1/2 hour as rope drop would have been at 9 AM.

Here's a link to the thread:

http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...and-today.html

And from the thread, here's a link to my post of some of the shots from around the park. The first shot was taken Tues, Dec 17 and shows moderate crowds of folks coming in around the same time the day before. The shots that follow show....almost no people.

http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ml#post3324520

It really was pretty cold that day. When I picked up my son from school at 2:30 pm, it was 46 degrees! We live just over 10 miles from the park.

I believe, if you look at this year's calendar during the same week, the park was supposed to be open to 11 PM. Apparently, if the number of guests drops below a certain amount, Disney starts losing money at a much faster rate, and reserves the right to close early due to the inclement weather. From what I can recall, they closed up shop around 9 pm and sent folks home early. They also closed the stores early as well. It snowed in Malibu that night as well as in Las Vegas.

Here's a couple of quotes from the thread:

Originally posted by Wally
    They announced the early closing by...announcing it. You know the speakers that tell the park has ended it's normal operating day or about the lowering of the lights for fireworks? They used those. There was a pre-recorded message from the Voice of Disneyland that played everyone once in while, I think every hour or so.

Originally posted by BassBone
    Because there were no people there they closed the stores. My girlfriend was working that night in stores and they ended her shift early.
    Originally posted by Krillnish
    I went yesterday and we went on everything we wanted to go on and more, despite two less hours. My friends and I walked right onto Splash Mountain at 6:40PM (the other attractions actually had a wait time of more than 1 second). The only other person I saw riding was a man in the log in front of us. It actually seemed colder earlier during the day than at night. Maybe because the rain or wind died down. Or maybe because I couldn't feel my hands anymore, anyway.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 12-03-2009, 10:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyIPresume
    replied

This is from this morning's OC Register. It's still up in the air as to how much rain we'll be getting, but we will get some.

OCRegister.com : Rainy weather finally heading for O.C.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyIPresume
    replied

Originally posted by Capt Hook's View Post
    I know I have plans to go on the 9th as well but if it rains I have no Idea what I'm going to do.
    And I have plans to go on the 12th. But if it rains I have no idea what I'm going to do either.

Leave a comment:

• Capt Hook
    replied

I know I have plans to go on the 9th as well but if it rains I have no Idea what I'm going to do.

Leave a comment:

• Wendygirl
    replied

Just listened to the channel 4 news and the weatherman is saying a "significant event". That being said, I've known them to say this and then it turns into a nothing event. My daughter and I are planning to go Monday rain or shine and we are kind of hoping for rain so we can have light attendance for a change.

Leave a comment:

• leslie_537
    replied

Well I am always wrong on the weather! I usually use weather.com and I will tell my husband oh it is supposed to rain tomorrow and then it is sunny. He makes fun of me all the time!

I am excited for a light rain on the days we are there because of the convience issue crowd wise. More than anything I am worried about my MIL and getting around in the rain.

Leave a comment:

• CMHusband
    replied

Originally posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    Let me add one more thing for Leslie. If it DOES rain next Tues or Wed, I predict you will be in the park at the MOST emptiest time of the year. Last year, during the same time period in early December, they actually CLOSED Disneyland early due to the lack of crowds after the temperature hovered in the 40's with moderate rain all day. I hadn't seen it that empty since 1977. The first shot in my sig below was taken on that day, and you can see how many people were there. I believe I took that shot around 10 AM.

So...THAT would be the upside. Walk on to all of the rides (most will remain open in the rain) and hardly any lines for restaurants, etc. On the downside, you might lose the parades and outside entertainment.

I LOVE Disneyland in the rain!
    I wondered about those shots. I thought maybe you worked there. how else would you ever get a shot of main street totally empty!
    those pictures are great by the way!

Leave a comment:

• penguinsoda
    replied

Originally posted by akfandisney View Post
    Ok this what the Weather channel and weather.com show for Disneyland area.

Right now show only 10% for sunday.
    This is why making bets on weather predictions is a loosing proposition. This is 12-24 hours different than what NOAA site has posted. They show the "chance" of rain coming in on Sunday and not Monday.

As long as its not Saturday. I don't want to be driving in the rain.... But I love an overcast Disneyland!

Leave a comment:

• sediment
    replied

Originally posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    Last year, during the same time period in early December, they actually CLOSED Disneyland early due to the lack of crowds after the temperature hovered in the 40's with moderate rain all day.
    Quick note: DL closes at 6PM Monday and Tuesday of next week for Cast Member Family Holiday Parties. (This includes Cast Members from Burbank and Glendale, not just the Anaheim ones.) DCA will be open later.
    This has been going on for-nearly-ever.

Leave a comment:

• aashee
    replied

Originally posted by The International View Post
    Rain at Disneyland is the greatest thing.

Everything looks really neat in the rain, crowds will split at the first sight of a raindrop, and most of the rides stay open.

Just a reminder, even if you have a poncho make sure to bring an extra pair of socks or waterproof boots or something... It's easy to keep your head and torso dry but there are puddles so your feet will probably get wet, and wet feet at a theme park are really annoying.
    Agreed. My fav is the Matterhorn in the rain. Every opening you pass through you get pelted, it's funny.

Leave a comment:

• The International
    replied

Rain at Disneyland is the greatest thing.

Everything looks really neat in the rain, crowds will split at the first sight of a raindrop, and most of the rides stay open.

Just a reminder, even if you have a poncho make sure to bring an extra pair of socks or waterproof boots or something... It's easy to keep your head and torso dry but there are puddles so your feet will probably get wet, and wet feet at a theme park are really annoying.

Leave a comment:

• akfandisney
    replied

Ok this what the Weather channel and weather.com show for Disneyland area.

Sat
    Dec 5

Cloudy

Sun
    Dec 6

Partly Cloudy

Mon
    Dec 7

Showers

Tue
    Dec 8

Few Showers

Wed
    Dec 9

Showers

Thu
    Dec 10

Showers

Fri
    Dec 11

Mostly Cloudy

Last Updated Dec 02, 7:46 AM PT

Right now show only 10% for sunday.

Leave a comment:

• ttrocc7007
    replied

I was there in the rain and cold that week two years ago (the park never got near 60 in the daytime, and dipped below 40 at night), and I had a GREAT time. The place was so empty, CMs were almost begging us to ride. No fooling. Just invest in a good warm jacket, an umbrella and plenty of hot chocolate.

Leave a comment:

• Dilly123
    replied

I am going the 9th thru the 12th and am getting bummed about the rain forecast, too. Right now it shows 100% chance of rain each day with 25 mile per hour winds. A little rain would be okay - but that will be a bit much if it is true. As I am sure the parade, fireworks and Fantasmic! would all be cancelled. Not to mention travelling with possibility of snow over the Grapevine. Will just keep my fingers crossed, I guess!

Leave a comment:

• Mac Daddy
    replied

Let me add one more thing for Leslie. If it DOES rain next Tues or Wed, I predict you will be in the park at the MOST emptiest time of the year. Last year, during the same time period in early December, they actually CLOSED Disneyland early due to the lack of crowds after the temperature hovered in the 40's with moderate rain all day. I hadn't seen it that empty since 1977. The first shot in my sig below was taken on that day, and you can see how many people were there. I believe I took that shot around 10 AM.

So...THAT would be the upside. Walk on to all of the rides (most will remain open in the rain) and hardly any lines for restaurants, etc. On the downside, you might lose the parades and outside entertainment.

I LOVE Disneyland in the rain!

Leave a comment:

• Mac Daddy
    replied

Originally posted by CMHusband View Post
    I've got $10 bucks that says it won't rain...I don't care WHAT the weather"person" says.
    I'm with you. Most of these storms wimp out and end up never really giving us any good rain, and these weather guys are COMPLETELY guessing this far out. You could see that 60 percent drop to 10 percent the night before, or bounce up to 90. If you want to get inside their heads a bit and see what they are really thinking, go to

7-Day Forecast for Latitude 33.82N and Longitude 117.92W (Elev. 105 ft)

and scroll down to the bottom and look under "Forecast Discussion." You'll end up with comments like:

LONG TERM (SATURDAY-TUESDAY)...THE STORM TRACK IS EXPECTED TO
    BECOME QUITE ACTIVE LATE IN THE WEEKEND THROUGH MUCH OF NEXT WEEK AS
    A STRONG PACIFIC JET UNDERCUTS A LARGE RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE NEAR
    ALASKA. THIS PATTERN WOULD FAVOR WET WEATHER FOR SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
    BEGINNING AROUND MONDAY. THE ECMWF CONTINUES TO BE THE PREFERRED
    MODEL OF CHOICE. IT BRINGS THE TROUGH RAPIDLY THROUGH MONDAY WITH
    MOIST WLY FLOW...RAIN AND MOUNTAIN SNOW CONTINUING INTO TUESDAY.
    ALTHOUGH THERE ARE DIFFERENCES WITH THE GFS...IT HAS BEEN COMING
    MORE IN LINE WITH THE ECMWF AS OF LATE...INCREASING CONFIDENCE OF
    WIDESPREAD RAINFALL EARLY NEXT WEEK. IN ADDITION TO THE CHANCE FOR
    RAIN...LOCALLY GUSTY WINDS ARE EXPECTED IN THE MOUNTAINS AND
    DESERTS.
    But all of that could change on a dime.

Most of us are really jaded by this point. During the last two years, I've seen several "storms" go from 100% chance to "Whoops. My bad...I meant to say sunny and 78 degrees" in a matter of minutes. We'll believe it will rain after it starts raining.

In the mean time....I'm thinking about moving to Seattle.

Hate California weather. Hate...Hate Hate. Loathe entirely. :thumbdown:

In the off chance that it DOES actually rain, ponchos are the way to go...especially if it gets a bit windy as the forecast mentions above.

Leave a comment:

• CMHusband
    replied

I've got $10 bucks that says it won't rain...I don't care WHAT the weather"person" says.

Leave a comment:

• micromind
    replied

While I agree completely with Sediments wheelchair suggestion, here's the other side.

July 2008, my oldest son was married in DL, and we all went to the park the next day. My dad has very bad legs. For him to walk 100 yards, would be like either one of us running a marathon. We rented him one of the electric wheelchairs. It cost about $50/day, if I remember.

He loved it! He had no problem getting around in the crowds, and he could go to both DL and DCA with it. He was really dreading not being able to keep up with the rest of us, and the wheelchair was the answer.

Since your MIL can get around to some degree, it might work out if she started out walking, then if she got tired, one of you could go back to the hotel to get the wheelchair. Or just go the the front of the park and rent one.

If it rains hard and you don't want to get drenched, maybe buy some cheap ponchos before you come. You'll pay a LOT less for them at home than at DL. They don't take up much space, and even if you don't bring them back home, you're not out a lot of $$.

One nice thing about the ponchos is a lot of the ride seats get a bit wet, and the poncho will keep your hind end dry. Well, sort of dry anyway!

Rob.

P.S. My next trip was planned for around the time you'll be there, but due to having to design and build the electrical system of a small refining plant, it'll likely be put off until after the first of the year. Oh well...

Leave a comment:

• DisneyIPresume
    replied

Originally posted by leslie_537 View Post
    Well we live in the San Joaquin Valley so our air quality is just as bad! :P Yours is filled with smog and car pollutants our mostly pesticides.
    Actually the most polluted area of California is near the little town of Arvin, outside of Bakersfield. Believe it of not this is due to smog coming in from the San Francisco Bay area! The way the winds blow in from the Bay Area and the mountains that surround Arvin trap the pollutants coming in from the Bay Area, casiimg this town to be even more polluted than the LA metro area.
    Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 12-01-2009, 07:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X