This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Other] Main Entrance Bag Check

When DL first started the bag screening process after 9/11, the job was performed by Security. Later, it was pawned off to the ticket takers in what I saw as a cost-saving measure. Ticket taker wages are lower than security officers.

Personally, I believe bag checks should be a Security task, and not a job for the ticket takers. Besides that, it seems to me that the whole bag check process is done for show. Seeing a ticket taker checking bags simply doesn't give the whole security process much credibility.

If I were a guest trying to sneak a prohibited item into the park, I would feel less threatened by a ticket taker than an actual security officer. They both may be able to perform the same job, but there is something to be said about a uniformed security officer performing this kind of task.

When you go to WDW, you will notice that bag screening is still performed by Security. Maybe it's just me, but there is a greater sense of knowing that prohibited items are not allowed when you see a security guard checking bags, and not someone in a ticket taker outfit.

Any thoughts?

Re: Main Entrance Bag Check

While some of the people who checked our bags were pretty thorough, most of them were not. One older gal made me show her inside EVERY pocket/zipper/pouch in my purse; a while later, a younger guy just kinda looked at me a waved me in. If there was some solidarity and cohesion to the process, they might be more effective.

But what are they really looking for anyway?

And if the presence of a security officer is important to some, couldn't they just have one posted for every 3-4 bag-checkers, acting as a supervisor of sorts?
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

Comment

I got stopped recently for having a Scotch Magic Tape dispenser in my camera bag (which I have in my bag on a regular basis, due to a problem with my camera's memory card door). She questioned it, brought the lead over, and the CM asked me why I had it... I showed where I use it on my camera, and he said to have a good day... I don't know what type of damage I could do with a small plastic serrated edge that is smaller than the plastic knife I can get at many Disneyland Food Outlets....

I know the rules, sometimes I get looked over stronger than other times, but that is for every person who comes on a regular basis.

But yes, the current setup is basically a "feel good" program.
      Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Originally posted by Code90 View Post

When you go to WDW, you will notice that bag screening is still performed by Security. Maybe it's just me, but there is a greater sense of knowing that prohibited items are not allowed when you see a security guard checking bags, and not someone in a ticket taker outfit.

Any thoughts?
        And when i went to WDW in August, there were only 3 or 4 guards checking bags for each park, so the process was INCREDIBLY lengthy...

There I was somewhere West of Tomorrowland
        Flying through the stars just like
        Peter Pan
        I said...Dang this looks too good to be true...

It's a nice day when you wake up in
        Disneyland...
        -Five For Fighting, "Disneyland"

Comment

Well there haven't been any major incidents at the DLR since 9/11, so they must be doing something right. Besides they have plenty of security in the park. Many years ago my group and I were almost got in a fight (not our fault) and security was there in seconds in BIG crowed on New Years Eve.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkbeer View Post

But yes, the current setup is basically a "feel good" program.
            Personally, I think its a total waste of time and space
            It doesn't make me feel any better waiting in line, just to be waived through.
            I agree with the OP's suggestion to have Security the ones working the checkpoints.
            "Raiders Suck"
            -Walt Disney

Comment

Please...

The bag checks are a joke. All they manage to do is to make the feeble and gullible guests feel better about their personal safety while in the Park. Post 9/11 hysteria at its finest.

They don't prevent anything with the exception of preventing little old ladies from taking their knitting needles into the Park.

They are a waste of time, money and resources.

Unfortunately for disney, they have become a Catch 22. If they remove them and something (pretty much anything) happens, Disney would be sued.

And if something happens with them there, Disney will still be sued, but at least they won't hear the words, "we told them so!!!", so they won't end up with too much egg on their faces.

No Disney suit has the guts to admit that the bag checks are really just there for fluff and that they don't actually prevent anything.

And besides, if someone really wanted to take something (pretty much anything) into the Park, they can easily do so despite the touchy-feely "bag checks"...

Comment

Originally posted by tech4all View Post
                Well there haven't been any major incidents at the DLR since 9/11, so they must be doing something right.

Nothing major (or minor) has happened at LegoLand and they don't waste their time, money and resources with a "bag check" area.

They must be doing something right too...

Comment

This is all about creating the illusion of security and a sense of safety almost acting like a berm to keep the magic and innocence of Disneyland in and the bad things of the real world out. We all know these bag "checks" accomplish next to nothing but it makes us feel safe especially in this post-9/11 world we unfortunately live in.

Comment

Originally posted by leopardchucks View Post
                    While some of the people who checked our bags were pretty thorough, most of them were not. One older gal made me show her inside EVERY pocket/zipper/pouch in my purse; a while later, a younger guy just kinda looked at me a waved me in. If there was some solidarity and cohesion to the process, they might be more effective.
                    I know who you are talking about. After getting her twice I now make sure to avoid her line. She must have worked for the TSA or Secret Service before.

The only thing I have noticed that bag checkers have stopped are people bringing in large amounts of food and beverages.

Comment

Originally posted by tech4all View Post
                      Well there haven't been any major incidents at the DLR since 9/11, so they must be doing something right. Besides they have plenty of security in the park. Many years ago my group and I were almost got in a fight (not our fault) and security was there in seconds in BIG crowed on New Years Eve.
                      There also weren't any major incidents in the 46 years leading up to 9/11 when there were no bag-checks.

The bag check is for show only. To be fully secure, you would have to check everything on a person, meaning walking through a metal detector.

Comment

It's all for show - to show how long they can make a guest wait to get into the park.

Comment

Huh, you know, I have never even noticed CMs in DL vs security in WDW. Hmmm.
                          Good morning, son
                          In twenty years from now
                          Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                          And I can tell you 'bout today
                          And how I picked you up and everything changed
                          It was pain
                          Sunny days and rain
                          I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Bag check is a joke.

If I wanted to bring in something that could hurt someone I would put it in my pocket.

The only parks I have seen where "bag check" works is Kings Dominion and Six Flags Magic Mountain. Both of those parks make you walk through a metal detector.
                            For Disney Theme Park Video Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by F!an View Post
                              We all know these bag "checks" accomplish next to nothing but it makes us feel safe especially in this post-9/11 world we unfortunately live in.
                              Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                              The bag check is for show only. To be fully secure, you would have to check everything on a person, meaning walking through a metal detector.
                              Originally posted by Ryan120420 View Post
                              If I wanted to bring in something that could hurt someone I would put it in my pocket.

The only parks I have seen where "bag check" works is Kings Dominion and Six Flags Magic Mountain. Both of those parks make you walk through a metal detector.

1. A false sense of security. Very fitting for a place that has a "Fantasyland"...

2 & 3. Metal detectors only detect metal objects. Ever hear of a Delta Dart? Do a search and then put that "secure" feeling in check...

The bottom line is that there is no "secure" place. If someone wanted to do something horrific to someone or some place, they will. Simple as pie.

The tragic killing of four police officers near Seattle in the news right now is proof of that. It was a well known hangout for cops and is owned by a former Oakland police officer.

Can't get much more secure than that, right???

Wrong...

Comment

I like that the bag check is so lackluster because it makes bringing in contraband super easy.

If you guys are so afraid of strangers with weapons how do you go outside?

Comment

As much as we hate the joke that is the bag checks, Disney knows that they have to set up SOME KIND of security barrier within the park since Disneyland is such an icon of Americana and world famous for it. Sure you could sneak in pretty much any thing if you REALLY tried to, and even I accidentally left a blade in my pocket that should not have been in there but that doesn't mean that they should get rid of the system entirely.

I myself have been stopped by the bag check guys for wearing a chain on my wallet numerous times because trust me, with 50,000 people in the park on average when I go down there, I'm quite worried about pick pockets waiting there to nab an easy tourist target. Another big one the bag checks guys and gals are looking for is glass. I've seen countless Hispanic individuals trying to bring salsa and hot sauce bottles that were glass and were told to throw it away or be denied in the park entirely! That's why the Rancho del Zocalo stopped carrying glass Ortega hot sauce bottles.

I'm just glad that the whole security check thing isn't as strict as some other parks are like Universal Studios. They'll make you throw ALL of your outside food away before even walking into the place because of their stupid "policy." I had a friend with a bag full of food that she had just bought for her family to eat as snacks within the park and she was forced to throw it all away or not be admitted at all! A lame excuse to make you buy within Universal's walls, a ridiculous ploy to make you give up your hard earned cash.

And let's not forget Six Flags Magic Mountain where they have metal detectors set up for "protection." Instead it's just a big hassle. It feels like I'm a terrorist suspect each time I take of my shoes and empty the contents on my person just to get into a THEME PARK! I'm just waiting to be stripped searched when it comes to that. Not a very inviting or welcoming "guest experience" if you ask me.

So yeah, the Disneyland bag checks may be considered a "joke" to some but it's far less intrusive than some of the others that I mentioned, so I prefer it!
                                  Oh what the future will hold...

Comment

It's all for show, no metal detectors. One could carry a concealed weopon right on in if they wanted.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Comment

Agreed
                                      "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." -Walter Elias Disney

SEE MOM! Even Walt Disney thought school was bad!

Twitter http://twitter.com/dogtherock
                                      YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/dogtherock
                                      Facebook http://www.facebook.com/waltdisneyscaliforniaadventure
                                      (Look at the URL i got for Facebook

Comment

Do they have a line for people that don't have anything to be checked? Last time I went I stood in line with friends who had purses but I saw plenty of other people without bags in line waiting to get in the park. It'd be nice if they didn't have to wait to get in if their group was bag-less.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X