X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Raising the Bar in Themed Design: A Case Study

National Park-themed resort

Tier II - Disney Standard DLP Resort (b. 1992)

Tier I - Higher Standard WDW (b. 1994)

Comment

Submarine attraction ride vehicle

Tier II - Disney Standard DL (b. 1959)

Tier I - Higher Standard MK (b. 1971, extinct)

Comment

Tomorrowland Approach

Disney Standard MK (b. 1971, extinct), DL (b. 1998)

Higer Standard MK (b. 1994)

Comment

"Mick"torian-style flagship resort

Tier II - Disney Standard Paris (b. 1991), Hong Kong (b. 2005), Tokyo (b. 2008)

Tier I - Higer Standard WDW (b. 1988)

Comment

WOW.

And again, WOW.

Reeeaaally hoping that I get to go to the Paris and Tokyo parts before I die...or at least before they mess everything up. This thread also reminded me of how beautiful HKDL is. Best little park ever!

Tier I - Higer Standard WDW (b. 1988)
            I've agreed with this thread so far, but judging from these photos I'd have to say I like all three on top twice as much as WDW's.

Comment

I actually have to contest the Tomorrowland approach one. Personally, I'd put Tokyo Disneyland (and DLP's Discoveryland) at "tier I", with the MK approach being demoted to "tier II."

Comment

I would rank the current (1998) Tomorrowland at DL as "substandard" because of the lifelessness and because the Astro Orbiter is in front of the entrance to the land. In my mind all attractions should be after you enter the land, never in front of the gateway. For my money, the 1967 version of Tomorrowland was much better, although it looks simpler, it was sleek and elegant, full of motion and life.

Comment

If only I had enough money to afford the Grand Floridian or Disneyland Hotel Paris or even Wilderness Lodge :/

Love these comparisons!

one hundred and one

Comment

Originally posted by RandySavage View Post
                    Again, if you personally think DL's castle is superior to DLP's, this does not make your feelings wrong, but the contrary is supported by the limited measurable data. If you can provide data that contradicts the rankings, please do.
                    So when exactly are you planning to post the actual data that goes along with this? How much did each castle cost, and what kind of materials are they made of?

Or are you just giving your opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                      I would rank the current (1998) Tomorrowland at DL as "substandard" because of the lifelessness and because the Astro Orbiter is in front of the entrance to the land. In my mind all attractions should be after you enter the land, never in front of the gateway. For my money, the 1967 version of Tomorrowland was much better, although it looks simpler, it was sleek and elegant, full of motion and life.

Ditto. The two flaws that I saw above were Winnie The Pooh at DL which is clearly Substandard, and the 1998 Tomorrowland which remains the biggest debacle to date. Substandard on steroids. :thumbdown:

Comment

It's always nicer to have the '67 entrance in color............

Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 12-06-2009, 01:47 PM.
                        MY SIGNATURE:
                        Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Love love love this thread. Keep 'em coming! :thumbup:

Comment

this is why it's never enough to just go to one park. I had the privilege of staying at the Grand Floridian and Disney World when I was in high school and I'm _dying_ to go back. There are certainly things that I love about the California parks, but WDW was absolutely a blast and I'm so planning on going back someday. I'd also love to be able to save up some money and one day visit the parks in Tokyo and Paris.

"How do I depreciate this rock?"

Comment

Fantasyland train station

Tier II - Disney Standard HKDL (b. 2005)

Tier I - Higher Standard DLP (b. 1992)

Comment

I have never scene the paris fantasyland station before! It looks really nice!

Comment

Tiger habitat

Tier II - (Disney) Standard Busch Gardens (b. 2008)

Tier I - Higher Standard DAK (b. 1999)

Comment

Greatest new thread in a long time, thanks!

I agree with the observations others have on TL entrances. DL's current one is substandard in many ways, but earns its failing grade by not facilitating traffic well at all.

I'd forgotten how cheap IaSW's exterior is at MK. It's an embarrassment compared to DL and the others around the world.

Comment

This is a fantastic thread! I'd love to see more!

Comment

These photos are terrific! I'd love to see them collected and arranged in table format.
                                        Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

Atlantis attraction exterior & environment

Tier II - Standard Sea World Orlando (b. 1998); Lotte World Korea (b. 2003)

Tier I - Higher Standard IoA (b. 1999)

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X