X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Raising the Bar in Themed Design: A Case Study

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Having ridden both Kali River Rapids and Grizzly River Run, Grizzly is much much much better. Thematically though, very different and both excellent in execution. GRR COULD use a bit more theming though.
    The ride has major potential.
    But as we know DCA was on the cheap
    and they figured with it being a water ride it would sell its self and nothing else would have to be done to it (WRONG).
    I'm not asking for a major storyline like Splash, but something fun could have been done. Even a haunted mine or something of that nature could have been placed in the ride...the "grrrrrr"'s (or whatever it is) just doesn't cut.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Comment

No argument there.
      Also agree
      Quote by Al:
      To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
      -Al Lutz

Comment

No argument there.
        Make that two!

Question to imagineers for TL:98:

Paul Pressler/Michael Eisner: "How can you make the renovation as cheap as possible?"

Imagineers: "We'll redecorate the Rocket Jets mechanism into the Jules Vern/ie .... thingie ... which will .. ummm ... make circles .. and .. umm ... make it seem like we're calling out to the aliens from other worlds thingiemagig."
        MY SIGNATURE:
        Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

I rest my case.
          The ewok wins!

I think it was earlier this year another theme park site ran a poll asking which Magic Kingdom park is better, DL's or WDW's... guess who won?

WDW's with almost 60% of the vote.
          I was flabbergasted.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
            Make that two!

Paul Pressler/Michael Eisner: "How can you make the renovation as cheap as possible?"

Imagineers: "We'll redecorate the Rocket Jets mechanism into the Jules Vern/ie .... thingie ... which will .. ummm ... make circles .. and .. umm ... make it seem like we're calling out to the aliens from other worlds thingiemagig."
            And I'm 99.9% sure that exact conversation took place haha. Hopefully this will be replaced by an attraction of some kind in the next tomorrowland makeover.

Comment

I wish you would have used the shot of the crocs on DL's Jungle as an example of substandard. One is a statue, several are static plastic figures, and one is a snapping animatronic that has been around forever.
              "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                Make that two!

Tomorrowland 98 was definitely a SUBstandard redesign (staying in theme with the thread here).

And haha... if you want to say that the triple E-Ticket opening of the Matterhorn, Monorail, and Submarines is the DISNEY STANDARD, then they haven't been doing the Disney Standard in decades. (i know, i know... this is way unreasonable to ask for 3 E-Tickets at a time at this day and age)

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Originally posted by DLFreak71 View Post
                  and they figured with it being a water ride it would sell its self and nothing else would have to be done to it (WRONG).
                  I'm not asking for a major storyline like Splash, but something fun could have been done. Even a haunted mine or something of that nature could have been placed in the ride...the "grrrrrr"'s (or whatever it is) just doesn't cut.

I don't think GRR compares to how bad Kali River Rapids got it.

So sad... RIP Tiger River Run

And as for the DCA pic, I was trying to find a decent GRR pic. I'll edit GRR and put it in second tier.

one hundred and one

Comment

Originally posted by DLFreak71 View Post
                    It's GRIZZLY River Run, have some AA bears along the way!

Comment

Yah, Grizzly River Run does need some major plussing and hopefully phase 2 will take care of that.

It's funny to think though that GRR was the most well themed attraction in all of DCA when it opened. It's STILL one of the better ones. I have a feeling though that maybe when HKDL gets their Grizzly Coaster ride, we might get some of their animatronic bears. So if there's a projected date for that land to open, I'm just going to guess that's when we'll see the additions.

Comment

This was my thought, too!

I have a feeling though that maybe when HKDL gets their Grizzly Coaster ride, we might get some of their animatronic bears.
                        Although I've disclosed my thoughts that GRR needed bears since long before HKDL's announcement...

Hong kong disney bears image by loaloauk on Photobucket

Comment

They need to have some Grizzlies fishing in the river.

Comment

Great idea!

http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ountain-2.html
                            Last edited by CaliforniaAdventurer; 12-08-2009, 11:35 AM.

Comment

I'm coming to this thread very late (just started reading it today) but I just had to comment on some of the points already made. First, I'm not at all impressed by the castle at TDL; it may have cost more to make and be made of more expensive materials, but to me, a Disney castle should look like a fairy tale castle. This one doesn't. My favorite of the ones pictured is the one at WDW, and second place goes to Disneyland's. The one in Paris is beautiful, too. All three of those look like the kind of castle you would see in a fantasy movie or fairy tale. That's the whole point.

The exterior of the Tower of Terror in Tokyo is aesthetically pleasing, but thematically, it is all wrong. It looks new and in great shape, whereas the Tower is supposed to be an old, abandoned hotel that was once struck by lightning. You don't get a sense of that at all from the Tokyo exterior. Again, Randy, I think themetic cohesiveness should be one of your criteria. On that basis, the WDW Tower is the most successful by far, and no it doesn't look like "a comet hit it". If a comet had hit it, it would be a big pile of dust/ashes on the ground.

The Pooh interior from TDL is a great success, and should be emulated in the American parks. Ditto for the quality of the crocodile AAs shown at HKDL's Jungle Cruise. Today's animal AAs all look better than the primitive ones from 1971, but HKDL sets the standard. WDW has great, realistic looking dinosaurs, so there's no reason that they can't make animal AAs as realistic looking as the ones in Hong Kong. Hopefully WDW will catch up, during their 2010 refurb of the Jungle Cruise.
                              Last edited by disneyfann121; 12-08-2009, 12:31 PM.

Comment

A few more points from earlier in this thread:

To me, WDW's Tomorrowland looks much better than DL's. It looks more futuristic, and isn't that the idea?

DL's Adventureland and (especially) Fantasyland set the standard for those lands. They are both a smashing success, and instantly evoke the feelings of adventure and fantasy on a conscious and subconscious level.
                                Last edited by disneyfann121; 12-08-2009, 12:28 PM.

Comment

The conflict at GRR is basically modern vs old west. You have a modern theme of adventure rafting around antique mining equipment(complete with giant bear in neon colors) and then a bunch of old miners singing right out in front.

I still think the perfect solution would be to make it the water version of Mine Train, adding in various nature AA's everywhere... and then transforming the Brother Bear portion of Redwood into a new CBJ cave theater. I think they should embrace the Pacific Northwest, not mock it.
                                  "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by disneyfann121 View Post
                                    The exterior of the Tower of Terror in Tokyo is aesthetically pleasing, but thematically, it is all wrong. It looks new and in great shape, whereas the Tower is supposed to be an old, abandoned hotel that was once struck by lightning. You don't get a sense of that at all from the Tokyo exterior.
                                    The TDS TOT has a different story to the others and it does not involve lightning as far as I know.

Comment

I'm coming to this thread very late (just started reading it today) but I just had to comment on some of the points already made. First, I'm not at all impressed by the castle at TDL; it may have cost more to make and be made of more expensive materials, but to me, a Disney castle should look like a fairy tale castle. This one doesn't. My favorite of the ones pictured is the one at WDW, and second place goes to Disneyland's. The one in Paris is beautiful, too. All three of those look like the kind of castle you would see in a fantasy movie or fairy tale. That's the whole point.

The exterior of the Tower of Terror in Tokyo is aesthetically pleasing, but thematically, it is all wrong. It looks new and in great shape, whereas the Tower is supposed to be an old, abandoned hotel that was once struck by lightning. You don't get a sense of that at all from the Tokyo exterior. Again, Randy, I think themetic cohesiveness should be one of your criteria. On that basis, the WDW Tower is the most successful by far, and no it doesn't look like "a comet hit it". If a comet had hit it, it would be a big pile of dust/ashes on the ground.

The Pooh interior from TDL is a great success, and should be emulated in the American parks. Ditto for the quality of the crocodile AAs shown at HKDL's Jungle Cruise. Today's animal AAs all look better than the primitive ones from 1971, but HKDL sets the standard. WDW has great, realistic looking dinosaurs, so there's no reason that they can't make animal AAs as realistic looking as the ones in Hong Kong. Hopefully WDW will catch up, during their 2010 refurb of the Jungle Cruise.
                                      I guess this thread assumes most people are already connoisseurs of the backstory of each attraction (even in other countries), which may be the cause of some of your confusion. The Tokyo "castle" shown is not the Fantasyland Castle, but rather Mount Prometheus at Tokyo Disney Sea, which is like the correlate to the Disney castle for this park. Tokyo Disneyland's Cinderella Castle looks like this.

Also, the Tower of Terror in Tokyo has a totally different story that doesn't involve lightning, hence why the theme is different.

I totally agree with you about the Winnie the Pooh ride...I find it unconscionable that the one in Anaheim was actually built AFTER Tokyo's highly successful version. They already had the R&D done for that fine attraction, but they still did Anaheim's on the cheap! (& they kicked out the Country Bear Jamboree--totally not cool!) :rant:
                                      My Armchair Imagineering threads:

Collaborations:

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                                        I think they should embrace the Pacific Northwest, not mock it.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

• Re: Raising the Bar in Themed Design: A Case Study

A few more points from earlier in this thread:

To me, WDW's Tomorrowland looks much better than DL's. It looks more futuristic, and isn't that the idea?

"Better" I suppose is the opinion here. Does it look futuristic? Sure, I can probably agree that it does. But is it aesthetically pleasing to look at? Not for me. It doesn't look cool enough to be that futuristic sci-fi world we see in the movies but it doesn't look fun enough to be a futuristic world I want to be a part of. It's just too metallic and then throw in all the random cartoon nonsense all over the place paired with a 70s freeway... it's just a land that doesn't feel right. Maybe it's the color pallette. Maybe it's the layout.

It feels like you're walking into a hallway that has no exit

And then it's cold metal steel everywhere you look

Disneyland's Tomorrowland is not perfect either by any means, but aside from some mural changes and the Astro Orbitor on the ground floor, it feels more inviting, more comforting... and I guess the word that Disneyland excels at is "intimate".

I really don't have enough examples from my personal photos. I'll try and take better ones.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X