This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] A Captain EO redo/refresh

With all the modern technology filmmakers use to bring old films into the present realm of filmmaking, it got me thinking that Captain EO would be the perfect attraction to undergo the digital treatment. Not only could the print be restored and turned into HD, but the effects could be replaced by computer-generated effects.

Looking at the current footage, it's very dated since it relies on stop-motion, models and optical effects. A computer-generated version of the film would blow the old version away. The 80's fashion kind of dates the film, but I really think an improved set of effects, along with 4D theater effects popular nowadays would really bring that film into the present, and allow Disney to keep it for another 5-10 years at least.

The film's foundation is solid, but those animated cartoon effects and jerky stop-motion and models just makes it look a little too old to be in Tomorrowland. Don't get me wrong, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing it again, but I just feel that a digital refresh of it would increase it's longevity by many times. It would also "wow" audiences for the first time in decades. The current version is simply for nostalgia only.

I would LOVE it if Captain EO could stand on its own feet again as a solid attraction instead of a nod to nostalgia. It would be much cheaper than a complete theater rebuild for a new show, and could be done with today's technology. I just don't want to see it fade away when all it needs is a fresh coat of paint, as it were. It was such a powerful film when it was released, it can still have a powerful effect on audiences today if it is only given a 21st-century chance. Michael Jackson is now as timeless as The Beatles or Elvis Presley, and his message is just as clear. I wouldn't care if Captain EO stayed in Tomorrowland until the park's 100th anniversary as long as they kept the *effects* updated.

Re: A Captain EO redo/refresh

understand the feelings about it...but its a short term run i would rather them take the cash and dump it into something brand new and spectacular.instead of rehashing and putting a new coat of paint over it....no one really wants this thing to be the next big thing... just the next thing.....for a short period of time
    "Alright you primative screwheads listen up.."BRUCE CAMPBELL

Comment

Why else would Captain EO come back if it wasn't for nostalgia?(or for the money they can make off of it after his death) Upgrading the special effects seems kind of useless to me. Especially on something that's supposed to have a temporary run.

Comment

I would like to see the film released in the short term with no enhancement unless just a clean print. However Janet taking the help in EO-2 would be interesting. They could save their money for that. I hope they don't forget all the merch they could sell though with EO DVD's, CD Singles, Posters, Plush, etc.

Comment

because we all know what happens when Mr. Lucas has the opportunity to revisit a film.

all kidding aside, I actually like the stop-motion. I don't think I'd want it updated. But then again, I know what time period it came from... although I'm sure that the people who don't know would be able to figure it out on their own pretty easily. I'd rather have the money go to a new attraction. (after EO of course.)
          sigpic
          http://disneyjedi1.deviantart.com/

Comment

I too am eager for Captain Eo to return to Tomorrowland! A slight refresh would be welcomed but not a refresh that is so costly that Disney would then need to keep it there for years to justify the cost. As a "bridge" between HISTA and the "next big thing" Captain Eo should at least get the care it deserves and maybe a slight upgrade in the screen effects. Nothing showstopping, just something that doesn't leave you thinking that what remains is antiquainted. HD would be nice, refreshen the soundtrack, add some WORKING in-theater effects and Captain Eo will shine again. It's not like George Lucas hasn't tinkered with his older films before!
            One Special Friend is All it Takes to Get You Through a Bad Day. And One Good One is Better Than a Dozen Casual Ones

Comment

Can't wait for it to arrive! I think the style still needs to hold true to the 80's film, but I agree that the sound and picture would be fantastic in HD!

Hello.....Good Times!
              So Long.....Bad Times!

The Captain Returns February 2010! :yea::thumbup:

Comment

I think the best we can hope for is a new Digital transfer from the negative. Otherwise they wont be touching the effects at all. It wouldn't make sense with a short run for the film. Its only going to have a year or year 1/2 run before they put in Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor.
                "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

"Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

Comment

I just wanted to clarify on a term that gets tossed about a little haphazardly. "HD" means High Definition, which in the TV world is 1080 lines of resolution. In the theater world, there's no such thing as "HD," but there is digital projection.

Captain EO is on film. Film has a much higher resolution than HDTV/HD does. So putting Captain EO in "HD" doesn't really mean anything. It's already in high definition, it's just not digital.

Additionally, the resolution of the EO film is what it is. They can't increase the resolution of it any higher than it is. One of the things they could do is a full digital restoration and cleanup (similar to what they did to the original Star Wars trilogy minus the added CGI and stuff). More likely for EO, they will just go back to the original film negatives and run some new prints of the film. It will look quite good after this.

As for digital projection, that's a possibility, but that would imply the installation of a digital 3D system similar to the ones now in use in theaters with dual DLP projectors. While I think Disney would be smart to do this, I'm not sure if that's in their plans at the moment. It seems to me to be a no brainer to implement the digital 3D theater technology, because right now watching 3D in a movie theater is far superior to watching 3D at Disney parks because the parks still use the dual film projector system which is far more susceptible to ghosting, image alignment problems, and things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by s8ntmark View Post
                    I think the best we can hope for is a new Digital transfer from the negative. Otherwise they wont be touching the effects at all. It wouldn't make sense with a short run for the film. Its only going to have a year or year 1/2 run before they put in Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor.
                    i was under the impression it was only going to be about 4 months..they didnt make it longer did they?(shudder i hope not)
                    "Alright you primative screwheads listen up.."BRUCE CAMPBELL

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X