This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Pictures] Pictures of Toy Story the Musical

Here are the shots I took when I was on the Disney Cruise this summer. It's not the whole show because, not being able to use a flash and not being that close, made it hard for the camera to capture the darker shots. It's basically the movie, but with different songs and it's not really geared to little kids. The costumes are great and the sets are really good too. I went into the show not knowing what to expect and honestly, not looking too forward to it because to me there were no songs in Toy Story to make it a musical (unlike Lion King, or Mary Poppins, or Aladdin). But I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed it.

Enjoy these pictures.
    Last edited by sassy*tink; 12-07-2009, 08:56 AM.
    Wow...I've been gone a long time...but I'm glad to be back!!

Re: Pictures of Toy Story the Musical

Thanks for the photo's, it looks cute!
    Yaye!

Comment

I'm still not totally sold. I assume they are replacing Aladdin with this because of Toy 3 coming out next year.

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

Comment

I love the Aladdin musical and I am so glad we are going to get to see it again this trip, but sometimes change is nice too, maybe after the Toy Story musical runs its course we will get Mary Poppins or Lion King. Change isn't always a bad thing
        Yaye!

Comment

I was thinking about this long and hard, why would they choose a Toy Story Musical? After all they've got Lion King, Beauty and The Beast, etc. I figured it out. Those broadway shows cost how much to get into? How much does it cost to put together one show? I'm guessing more than they want to spend 4 times a day, and give away free. If they pick those shows, odds are they will have to cutback on alot of stuff. People will be angry, complaining how Disney was cheap and ruined the show. By choosing a show tht people have low expectations for, and making it relatively good, people will be surprised and Disney looks good. It's all smart marketing on their half.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head View Post
            I was thinking about this long and hard, why would they choose a Toy Story Musical? After all they've got Lion King, Beauty and The Beast, etc. I figured it out. Those broadway shows cost how much to get into? How much does it cost to put together one show? I'm guessing more than they want to spend 4 times a day, and give away free. If they pick those shows, odds are they will have to cutback on alot of stuff. People will be angry, complaining how Disney was cheap and ruined the show. By choosing a show tht people have low expectations for, and making it relatively good, people will be surprised and Disney looks good. It's all smart marketing on their half.
            i think it's kinda ironic that you would rather have another musical when your username is Mr. Potato Head, in a funny ironic way i don't mean to trash you i just think it's funny seeeee?:lol:
            Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
            You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
            Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

Originally posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post
              i think it's kinda ironic that you would rather have another musical when your username is Mr. Potato Head, in a funny ironic way i don't mean to trash you i just think it's funny seeeee?:lol:
              As much as I love Mr. Potato Head, he does not deserve to replace Genie. No way Mr. Potato Head could pull that off. He needs to stay at TSMM, not take over poor Aladdin's show. Seriously Mr. Potato Head is just a potato! He doesn't have genies dream come true powers!

I couldn't think of anything to say about your username, so sorry for no comeback.

Comment

yeah i know what you mean genie was like the greatest thing since indoor plumbing

and you know you like gummy bears too )
                Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
                You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
                Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

Yeah this just doesnt seem like as much is put into this show. Aladdin has so many people involved in the entire show. So sad, so sad... Oh well whats done is done, the plans must begin somewhere.

Comment

I have to say, I'm pretty impressed at how they got the sets and lighting to look very much like the scenes as they were in the movie.

...But that's the only thing I'm impressed with! *stubborn huff*

The costumes for the other toys do look awkward, though.. Maybe that's one of the things they'll be updating when it gets tweaked for DCA?

Comment

Cool- I'm really looking forward to this.

Comment

I'm not sure I fully understand the hate. For a stage production on "toy story" i think they did a stand out job, and thanks SassyTink for providing the photos!

Toy Story may not have been my first pick as well but you have to understand that they want to take something that isn't already a musical and give it new life... the same way they did with Finding Nemo Musical in Animal Kingdom.

Really, how much I like or dislike a musical will be the music. For SassyTink who has seen it, how were the songs?

I saw a presentation on the musical at D23 but it was just the songwriters messing around on a keyboard. I'd rather hear how it is with an orchestra behind it.

for the record: i hated the finding nemo musical's songs. stage production is top notch though.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                        http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

This whole show screams cheesy and cheap by looking at the pictures... If disney wants to even make it as respectable as aladding they are going to have invest serious cash into everything from the sets, costumes, special effects and story... It makes me sad that we really have to replace aladdin with toy story. nothing against toy story the movie or the many attractions that have characters from it but its oversaturation

Comment

I suppose I'm one of the few that really didn't enjoy the Aladdin Musical... mostly because I dislike the Genie's topical humor.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                            http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

It skirts a fine line between cute and bad acid trip. I'm totally looking forward to seeing it. Thanks for those awesome pictures!
                              Feed the Birds. It's not just a song, it's a way of life.

Comment

It really wasn't as cheesy as the pictures looked. They had a screen behind that they showed clips from the movie to give more a feeling of being 'toy sized'.

Like with anything, pictures do not do the costumes justice. They were really good and intricate. The full costumed characters (Hamm, Potato Head, Slinky) were clever. The mouths moved, the eyes blinked, and for Potato Head his ears (and maybe other parts) came out.

The parts of Andy and Sid were played by people and only at the end for the bows, and during one part with Sid (where he thinks the toys are alive) they were never really on stage together so they didn't conflict with the story line. There were times when they would be off to the side while the toys were center stage (I can't remember the parts exactly, but it was well done IMO)

Also, this show was done on a cruise ship. The stage is NOT the size of the Hyperion Theatre in DCA, everything needs to be stored because they do 2 other shows on the same stage, and they have a limited amount of people, so other than Buzz, Woody, Andy, Sid...people play more than one character. So I'm sure at DCA they could add/edit what they do.

I put these up more to give people an idea of what the show looked like on the cruise. I'm sure they would tweak it to make it different because they could leave sets up, have more detail, lots of stuff that they can't do on a cruise ship.

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceDog76 View Post
                                  It skirts a fine line between cute and bad acid trip. I'm totally looking forward to seeing it. Thanks for those awesome pictures!
                                  The colors were bright, and they used lots of black lights. But I think they were trying to capture the bright colors of the movies.

Comment

I don't understand why people are so irritated about the change, why not try it before you knock it?
                                    Yaye!

Comment

Originally posted by phi1215 View Post
                                      I don't understand why people are so irritated about the change, why not try it before you knock it?
                                      Thats what I'm going to do.

I felt bad going to watch the show already thinking it would be bad, but I was surprised. It was pretty good.

Comment

No offense as much as I like Aladdin, I saw it 5 years ago when we went, and we will see it again this trip, I would like to see something else next time we go, it might be refreshing to see just what Disneyland/DCA has to offer down the road...after all, I thought the idea behind the park was to keep moving forward with new innovation and ideas.
                                        Yaye!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X