Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maddness at the AP days at World of Disney!!!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report Maddness at the AP days at World of Disney!!!

I was an early morning this past Saturday. Up at 4:15 to head to World of disney for the free vylmation gift for the first 1000 people. When we got there the Down town Disney parking lot was pretty full. We got there at the all so early hour or 5:41 in the morning. Now it was time for the cold treck through all of down town disney to get to World of Disney. This is when the maddness began people running past you to get in line before you. It was crazy people were pouring into down town disney. Oventually I told my fiancee to leave me behind and hurry up to garrentee we were part of the 1000. I had heart surgery so I can't walk fast or run. He said he would but he wanted to keep me in his sight.

When I finnally got down to World of Disney I could believe how many people were there. I was questioning if we had made it or not. There were tons of people a head of us. The line snaked down world of disney. At the end of world of disney it snaked back and forth like a ride que. The it was broke off. We were in the next section to the left people were weiving around the other side of the street security was in the middle so noone could walk to the espanade to the park.

The next part of the line the people after us started down to the tram loading area back to the unloading are and down the tram walk way leading to the structure. We noticed the people in the first group by world of disney had papers. When we asked them what they were they said they printed it off from home. Kinda fishy everyone thought around us. Every single person printed off the same piece of paper. So someone went to envestigate and ask them what it was they said a sheet of what was on sales handed out by a cast member earlier. Right then a riot almost broke out everyone wanted one of thoughs papers, so magically the cast member found more and gave us all one. Then the guy behind us brought up a good question. Why isn't the structure open knowing everyone had APs and probally wanted to go to the park. The cast member said it will open at 6:30 and you can move your car. That ment everyone inline would be creating a traffic mess trying to park in the structure. Yay Disney. Alot of people voiced there opinions over this. We didn't care we were planning on leaving any ways.

Next they started hand out wrist bans I asked if this ment we were part of the 1000 she said no it just ment we showed our APs to get in. The cast member in front of her told someone yes it ment they were part of the 1000 and would get a gift. There was alot of confussion between all the cast members. All of them were giving out different info. I personlly think they just weren't informed well on what was going on. Then I noticed they were using the wrist bands from the pin trading events.

Next they came around and started handing out clear trash bags to put your stuff in because they don't have carts. Yay it was time to go in. They let the first group in 5 min later they let our group in. It was a feeding fressy inside. Alot of people had there trash bags full and were asking for another. We went straight for wear they were handing out the free gifts. They cut off our wrist bands and gave us a free 3in vylmation figure. I was happy. Then we desided to look around. There was alot of stuff for 3-5 dollars door buster sales. People were digging in the boxes and I heard someone yelling someone else took something straight out of there hands. We ended up getting a black duffle bag on wheels for 10.00 normally 20.00.

We didn't go to shop just to look around and get the free gift. When we left they were all out of wrist bands but people were still coming the line was even longer now. It was arround 7:10 when we started walking back to the car. We desided to sit on a bench and see what color figures we got. I got a bright yellow one and my fiancee got a green one. We switch how green is my fav color. When we got back to our car all of down town disney lot was full. Then we headed home to take a nap. All and all it was pretty fun.

If you are thinking to yourself you wish you were part of the maddness they are doing it the next two Saturdays 6:30am-9:30am. There are some pretty good deals just get there early. We are planning on going back for more free figures.

Last edited by disneylandkitty; 12-08-2009, 08:45 AM.

Re: Maddness at the AP days at World of Disney!!!

Crazy! Thanks for the update.

Comment

nice pictures!

but i wont lie.. i didn't read that massive block of un-paragraph'ed text. =(
      -plagued

Comment

What a shame. Disney really has turned into Walmart.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
          What a shame. Disney really has turned into Walmart.
          Pretty much. I was there that morning but didn't go anywhere near DownTown Disney because I knew it was going to be a freaking madhouse... and there was nothing I really wanted to buy anyway.

Later in the park I talked to Ksejr1 who had been there that morning with her boyfriend, and she said it was pretty insane, and things that were on sale were not clearly marked, and a lot of stuff sold out even before they got to it.

Yeah... I much preferred chilling in the park and enjoying the 5 minute wait times on the rides!

But thanks for the review and pics! You were a brave, brave woman to go anywhere near that! :lol:

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
          all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

On sunday if you bought chow inside the park (possibly also at DCA, but I wasn't at DCA) at lunch time, guests were given a reciept that included a 20% off coupon for any merchandise bought at the World of disney, The Emporium, Disney Clothiers or Greetings From California inside DCA.
            Figuring I had the couipon, I headed up to both Disney Clothiers and The Emporium and honestly found nothing that enticed me to parting with my dough. More importantly, even with this added incentive, both shops inside the Park were empty.
            While World of Disney was clearly mobbed, I wonder what sales were actually like. Aside from treating guests like cattle (as described by the OP above), it seems like revenues must be down based on the emptiness of the stores during regular operating hours and the lack of guests seen toting shopping bags.
            First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
            First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
            BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

There were some good deals but there were boxes every where and you had to dig through them to get a good deal. I agree the regular merchandise was not marked well what was on sale and what wasn't.

Comment

I can't imagine what the next 2 Saturdays will be like at the WOD store. Hopefully more organized than last week. I was originally planning on going Dec.5 but at the last minute cancelled my plans. Instead I decided on a mini-trip the following day to DLR.

On Sunday, the following morning, a cast member said that the event was a nightmare. They had to close down the store until 11 AM in order to get everyone through to the cash register. And many guests were very unhappy.

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

Comment

I was there that day and meant to check it out but completely forgot about it. (And in hindsight, this is no doubt why the tram unloaded on the far side instead. Because of this I didn't walk by and get reminded of it.)
                  Originally posted by ttrocc7007
                  On sunday if you bought chow inside the park (possibly also at DCA, but I wasn't at DCA) at lunch time, guests were given a reciept that included a 20% off coupon for any merchandise bought at the World of disney, The Emporium, Disney Clothiers or Greetings From California inside DCA.
                  Figuring I had the couipon, I headed up to both Disney Clothiers and The Emporium and honestly found nothing that enticed me to parting with my dough. More importantly, even with this added incentive, both shops inside the Park were empty.
                  Those coupons were given out on Saturday too. I upgraded my AP to premium on this visit so with the 20%-off AP sale they weren't really useful. And ditto for having a hard time finding interesting things: I have part of a fun card from February and a partial gift card from last Christmas that'll probably never get used if this keeps up.

Comment

Tinkmomma and I don't have our AP's anymore... so we didn't realize that Saturday was "crazy day". Friday evening was my company holiday party, so "grandma" was nice enough to take the kids overnight. Since we didn't have to worry about the kids we thought that Saturday would be perfect for holiday shopping. Sometime around 11am we made it to World of Disney.

Before our AP's expired 3 of us were able to take advantage of the birthday gift cards. Tink and I had been saving them specifically for Christmas. Internally I was a bit conflicted. I'm a penny pincher at my core... so it was hard to explain to myself that these gifts were technically "free". I'm not used to "spending" that much on toys. But even after I resolved that internal conflict I had trouble finding the right gifts.

Our kids are roughly 7, 5,4, and 2... perfect Disney age. WOD had just reopened with restocked shelves so I should have been able to find just about anything the kids would want. And money wasn't an issue because I had the Disney gift cards. Yet despite the "Disney age", despite the restocked shelves, and despite the gift cards I still didn't see a lot that the kids would want.

I think this is the main issue behind slumping sales. Most of what Disney now sells is cheap generic souvenir crap that people aren't willing to buy, and in my case don't necessarily want even if it is free. In the end we spent over an hour in the store, literally scouring every shelf. We "spent" $150 of Disney's money (all gift cards) and actually have a balance left on one of the cards. What killed me is that most of what we "bought" can be found at a local Walmart or Target for about half as much. Knowing that and knowing that Disney is focusing more on locals, it isn't exactly shocking that people aren't buying at Disney...
                    Last edited by techskip; 12-08-2009, 12:42 PM.
                    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Thanks for your report. i went to the one in WDW and it was a smooth as butter... no pushing and shoving, no grabbing... just massive crowds once everyone was inside. We didn't get a map with the deals, though, or info that where the balloons were (I didn't even realize that... but some in my group did!). The deals were GREAT and I spent more than I should have :lol:Interesting to read about the differences!
                      Good morning, son
                      In twenty years from now
                      Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                      And I can tell you 'bout today
                      And how I picked you up and everything changed
                      It was pain
                      Sunny days and rain
                      I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

wow.....

this is just me
                        but what's so great about the vynlmation?
                        Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
                        You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
                        Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

I kinda feel the same way about the vylmation would never pay for one but cure when your getting it for free and I got my fav color. I was happy.

Comment

Without quoting Techskips entire post, my experience is similar, and I agree with his points in every regard.
                            I would add though that it's also the other extreme.
                            As an adult when I got my own birthday gift card, I headed straight to Castle Clothiers on Main Street. I figured with 72 dollars free money and my PAP discount I would finally splurge and get one of those really neat leather jackets I've seen in their window through the years.
                            I walk in, and all I see are the same hoodies and pseudo-satin jackets avaialble elsewhere in the park. Even when I wanted to spend a bundle I couldn't.
                            Instead I got my wife and daughter yet another couple of tee-shirts at The Emporium (which ALSO were available elsewhere in the park).
                            First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
                            First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
                            BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

I agree I had trouble finding something cool with my gift card elsewhere I remember when they had tons of stuff I wanted.

Comment

omg. why can't those people just go to the DLR outlet center. everything is 30-75% off.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyLand View Post
                                  omg. why can't those people just go to the DLR outlet center. everything is 30-75% off.
                                  As great as the outlet centers can be you can't use the gift card there and the clothing sizes are usually either really small or really large!
                                  "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

lol some people thrive on the maddness

Comment

Wow. Makes the November Haunted Mansion pin release look like a kiddie party. I don't remember it being anywhere as crazy last year.

Speaking of pins, I see they borrowed the wristbands from the pin trading people!
                                      "Once upon a time there was a Magic Kingdom
                                      made of hopes and childhood fantasies
                                      A timeless place where every land was filled with wonder
                                      A place where everyone who enters its gates will be given the gift of the
                                      Young at Heart"

Comment

Speaking of pins, I see they borrowed the wristbands from the pin trading people![/QUOTE]

That's what made me laugh when I saw the wrist bands.. lol.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X