• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sunrider
    replied
    Re: True or False?

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Okay one more!

Makes you wonder what kind of costumes the CMs would wear for a brand new Peoplemover 2.0 experience for the 21st Century.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__1HAWpldDa...+87+-final.jpg
    those costumes make the ones the poor people working at Hot DOG ON A STICK .look better..
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 12-31-2009, 09:09 PM. Reason: hotlinked photo removed

Leave a comment:

• FormerDiz
    replied

Originally posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    Wow! Such memories. When I hired into Tomorrowland Attractions back in the early 80s I only had to contend with a fairly comfortable Autopia costume and then the patriotic-colored vests at America Sings and orange vests on Magic Journeys and Space Mountain.
    Never worked the attractions with those body suits.
    Those guys actually don't look so bad in them though.
    I was a skinny 18 year old though so those would not have done much for me. The vest added bulk to a somewhat bulk"less" body. They assigned me to the right Attractions I guess.
    The polyester did kind of suck though, in whatever form.
    My Fantasyland Attractions costumes worked much better comfort-wise.
    Oh I never thought those yellow and blue autopia costumes were comfy at all. Too much polyester.

The area costume was the comfy one. That was the one they used on PM, Rocket Jets and Mars.

Leave a comment:

• WDITrent
    replied

Yes!!!! I love Peoplemover rumor threads!

Originally posted by D Duck View Post
    Do the WDW people movers still get lots of riders?
    Yes, the TTA does very well. Occasionally you can even see little switchbacks for it.

Now, to get the Peoplemover up to code, what would they need to do? The only thing I can think of is reworking all the clearances, but I'm sure there are much more issues. If I had my way, I'd demolish the entire Peoplemover/Rocket Jets platform and rebuild it from scratch, and simply move Astro Orbitor up there and maybe chop a few feet off the top so it isn't overbearingly tall. Though the good thing is since it would be farther into Tomorrowland, it would be more hidden by distance and other buildings. It's a beautiful structure, but it's in the wrong place.

Leave a comment:

• SpcMtn77
    replied

The PeopleMover wasn't a thrilling ride, but I remember it still being enjoyable much in the way that the DLRR is. It gave you a unique view of the park w/ some interesting but brief peeks into other attractions. Some of the special effects added a bit of excitement, but I think the loading/unloading station was actually one of my favorite parts of the PM. I think an updated version would draw plenty of riders for a long time.

Now if they would just put the Astro Orbitor back on the Rocket Jets platform, I would be a happy girl. It's amazing how the additional height made the ride so much better...My palms sweat just thinking about that ride . I could totally wait another 4 years or so as long as the changes are done right!

Leave a comment:

• DizneyPhotoGuy
    replied

Originally posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post
    my thought exactly!

well i'm slightly on the hoping side because everyone says it's great but i was too young to enjoy it, so i really want to see how great it really is.

but i'll let my expectations run low in case they ruin it in some way
    or my enjoyment will be even greater!
    I don't know... there was something very cool about leisurely moving through Tomorrowland at a snail's pace, in and out of various rides and attractions. Kinda like the train going through Splash Mountain. It was cool. Yeah, as a kid, it wasn't the most thrilling ride, but I loved moving through other rides for some reason.

If it's true, I can't wait for them to reopen. I hope they just update the trains, but keep it the same.

Leave a comment:

• CASurfer65
    replied

Originally posted by MainSreetJake View Post
    bahahahahahahahahahaha ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) )
    Wow! Such memories. When I hired into Tomorrowland Attractions back in the early 80s I only had to contend with a fairly comfortable Autopia costume and then the patriotic-colored vests at America Sings and orange vests on Magic Journeys and Space Mountain.
    Never worked the attractions with those body suits.
    Those guys actually don't look so bad in them though.
    I was a skinny 18 year old though so those would not have done much for me. The vest added bulk to a somewhat bulk"less" body. They assigned me to the right Attractions I guess.
    The polyester did kind of suck though, in whatever form.
    My Fantasyland Attractions costumes worked much better comfort-wise.

Leave a comment:

• Sambo
    replied

Originally posted by cositaluvsmickey View Post
    So I would like to know, has Disney management made any decison in regards to the Peoplemover coming back in the near future?
    In my opinion Disney management frequently won't make a decision like this until it is too late to make the RIGHT decision.

Leave a comment:

• jesterjack
    replied

Originally posted by caesarboxfan View Post
    Tony Baxter's next project is rumored to be a full Tomorrowland overhaul.
    .........YAY!
    if Tony's going to do its bound to be AWESOME!
    BOUND TO!

Leave a comment:

• zeitzeuge
    replied

I would like to see them come back to return some of the motion back to the land. Didn't ridership recede real bad before they were removed though?

Unfortunately, I was too young to remember PM at DL. When I started going back to DL regularly, it was already gone. But last year when we went to WDW for the first time, we got to ride their version (Tomorrowland Transit Authority) and it was so great to experience it. The ride was completely full and took no time at all to board. With long lines it only took 5-10 minutes to get on. Recently they did an upgrade with LED lighting and new sound track. Can't wait to get back next year to see the slight changes.

I hope the PM at DL comes back in some capacity. Sooner the better.

Leave a comment:

• yoyoflamingo
    replied

I would like to see them come back to return some of the motion back to the land. Didn't ridership recede real bad before they were removed though?

The TTA in WDW gets its fair share of riders. I think it's hard to judge too because it's a constantly moving system, like an omnimover, so the "business" of the ride is hard to gauge. I will say I do hear a lot of people extolling its virtues, and the fact that they just added the lighting and new narration makes me think there is no intention of taking it down at WDW, so perhaps they recognize how much it is beloved and will add it back to DL soon?

Leave a comment:

• D Duck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Fashion Biff
    replied

I too hope it comes back. I love roller coasters even with my motion sickness but not everything has to be a thrill ride.

Leave a comment:

• Awesome
    replied

Originally posted by LittleImagineer View Post
    Me too! We're gonna need something to keep Disneyland goin with all the DCA stuff goin' on. Plus, Tomorrowland could use a bit of help!(: And I don't necessarily count the new Star Tours video as helping Tomorrowland a lot, better than nothing though
    DCA will never overshadow Disneyland.

I also heard a cast member confirm that People Mover will be returning.
    She mentioned some sort of Tron reference in the ride as the release of the new people movers was rumored to coincide with the release of Tron Legacy.
    Don't know how much this one CM knew though.

Leave a comment:

• LittleImagineer
    replied

Originally posted by woodwanderer View Post
    I certainly hope we'll get a peoplemover sooner than 2014 though...
    Me too! We're gonna need something to keep Disneyland goin with all the DCA stuff goin' on. Plus, Tomorrowland could use a bit of help!(: And I don't necessarily count the new Star Tours video as helping Tomorrowland a lot, better than nothing though

Leave a comment:

• woodwanderer
    replied

Originally posted by Advent View Post
    I would actually argue that ST2 and the renovated PeopleMover fall into the same category of upgrades rather than new rides.
    The problem lies in whether or not how significant a task they deem it to be. Even if they don't plan to have a ride that's far off from the original they'll still have to deal with the safety hurdles. I expect disney to not want what used to happen on the peoplemover- people moving off one vehicle to the other during the ride... thought it doesn't seem like much of a challenge as that could potentially happen on most rides...

I certainly hope we'll get a peoplemover sooner than 2014 though...

Leave a comment:

• Tomorrowland_1967
    replied

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^09 had Two new Firework shows, the Dragon, Lincoln, Mickey's Funwheel, Ghost Galaxy, New Small World, The Gallery and Magic shop reopened. Plus the first year of D23, it was not too show if your a true fan of Disney.
    All that fits into the minor to medium upgrades to existing shows or attractions that have already been a staple and expected element to the DLR.

I'm talking brand new Attractions that marketing can put on a big freeway billboard to lure the main stream audience.

Of course us Disney Internet Geeks are going to wet our selves over the tiniest changes to anything ... but you can't market on a big freeway billboard: Come and see The New Disney Gallery! Or ... Come see the newly repainted Astro Orbitor! LOL

I think marketing can only go so far .. as to who's attention they can get over new fireworks show, or a new parade ........... Not like a good ole - Brand New Attraction .. that will get the public to take notice, and come!

There were all kinds of things I did not add intentionally .. because it does not fit the bill as something Disney can market as something Major. Like they can with something that is brand new.

When it comes time to marketing a "brand new Peoplemover 2.0" ... that's exactly how I think they'll tout it. Because it won't be the original .. it's going to be something different in it's overall design. I think we can count on at this point ... that we're not seeing "A return" per se. Those 62 trains are gone for good! Think - All New! All new design .. inside and out!

And if marketing disagrees .. and says 'it's a return' ... then you wrap this up into An All New Tomorrowland package ... that will include other new attractions.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 12-09-2009, 01:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Advent
    replied

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    ... in between those last 10 years ... there have been renovations and overhauls to other attractions in DL .. but as far as ALL NEW adventures are concerned, that's the main list. (So Star Tours 2.0 is not exactly going to be competing against the brand new Little Mermaid E Ticket ride).

So .. it stands to reason .... anything BIG to come to DL will have to wait for openings in the years FOLLOWING the completion of phase 1 of DCA's overhaul.

A new Peoplemover will most likely fall into a large overall plan to renovate the entire land ..... so, if a renovation is coming ..... then I expect 2013, and 2014 to be DL's years to get the spot light.
    I would actually argue that ST2 and the renovated PeopleMover fall into the same category of upgrades rather than new rides.

The only way I see the PeopleMover not opening earlier than the rest of the Tomorrowland renovation is if some of the track needs to be rerouted through buildings that get new rides.

Also, just how bad is the support structure doing, anyway? I always hear that it needs major work, but is that in the track or the pylons? If it's just the track, it would probably be replaced anyway. I don't see them putting another 500 large electric motors back in when they could go with linear induction motors, which would pretty much necessitate a new track anyway. But that can be done on top of the existing infrastructure if it's sound enough.

From the suits' perspective, it seems like a repaired PeopleMover is a no-brainer. It increases park capacity with a proven ride. It has low staffing requirements and low operating costs per rider, possibly very low. And to top it all off, it's already closed and ready to have work commence. You wouldn't even have to wall off the bottom of the loading platform until a month or two before opening. That's assuming they wouldn't need to wall off everything under the tracks, of course.

Leave a comment:

• JerrodDRagon
    replied

^09 had Two new Firework shows, the Dragon, Lincoln, Mickey's Funwheel, Ghost Galaxy, New Small World, The Gallery and Magic shop reopened. Plus the first year of D23, it was not too show if your a true fan of Disney.

Leave a comment:

• Tomorrowland_1967
    replied

Originally posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post

That's interesting that the CM publications list it opening in 2012...
    I also thought it was interesting too.
    I had another thought since my last posting.

I know I mentioned it before ... and think it's worth mentioning to anyone who didn't catch it before ......

Disney does not let new attractions from both DCA and DL open in the same year.

If you look at every year .. since DCA opened .. for every new ride that opened in DL ... the other years DCA opened one.

And it stands to reason .. that the marketing department does not want two rides in two parks competing against each other.

Here's the history:

2001 - DCA opened
    2002 - DCA: Flicks Fun Faire
    2003 - DL: Winnie the Pooh
    2004 - DCA: ToT
    2005 - DL: Buzz Lightyear
    2006 - DCA: Monsters Inc. dark ride
    2007 - DL: Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
    2008 - DCA: Midway Mania
    2009 - (the one year neither park has something new)
    2010 - DCA: World of Color
    2011 - DCA: Little Mermaid
    2012 - DCA: Carsland, Walt Disney Plaza, Red Car

Now my point. Yeah .. I was actually getting there.

Marketing is not going let anything new open in DL in the years they are going to try to promote .. and give all the attention to DCA's additions in 2011 and 2012.

Now ... in between those last 10 years ... there have been renovations and overhauls to other attractions in DL .. but as far as ALL NEW adventures are concerned, that's the main list. (So Star Tours 2.0 is not exactly going to be competing against the brand new Little Mermaid E Ticket ride).

So .. it stands to reason .... anything BIG to come to DL will have to wait for openings in the years FOLLOWING the completion of phase 1 of DCA's overhaul.

A new Peoplemover will most likely fall into a large overall plan to renovate the entire land ..... so, if a renovation is coming ..... then I expect 2013, and 2014 to be DL's years to get the spot light.

Leave a comment:

• pineapplewhipaddict
    replied

Those poor guys!

The other pictures though...for a moment I felt that thrill of being up high on those tracks again.

That's interesting that the CM publications list it opening in 2012...

I figure that when there's a more concrete plan, Al will tell us, and then we can expect something more definite.

...the revival is long overdue though. Rocket Rods was such a disaster...Disney shouldn't have even bothered with it. But because of Rocket Rods, any sort of new attraction in the same vain of the PeopleMover is going to be way more intensive of a project because of the damage done to the tracks in terms of their support structure. Will they just rip the beams out and start over in those sections? I wonder...

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X