This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Where is(was) this?

A book I have about pirates identifies this as "The Original Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland, California which opened in 1967."

I know that's incorrect, but where is it?

Re: Where is(was) this?

...edit: nevermind.

Comment

why that is in Paris.

The original Pirate Ship at DL was located where Dumbo is currently.
      VISIT my sketchblog: M54

Comment

Your picture shows the Captain Hook's Pirate Ship and Skull Rock in Adventureland at Disneyland Paris. Disneyland in Anaheim also had a Captain Hook's Pirate Ship (with a Chicken of the Sea restaurant in it) which opened on August 29, 1955, and a Skull Rock next to it, which opened in 1961, but those were in Fantasyland. They were both closed in 1982 and in the 1982-1983 remodel of Fantasyland they were both eliminated.

Comment

I had suspected it was Disneyland Paris after seeing one of the other threads. It looks really well done.

Comment

Haha, yeah, the caption got it pretty much all wrong. Wrong attraction, wrong land, wrong park, wrong country.

Comment

Acccording to Tony Baxter, a few pieces were recycled and are still in use in today's 'Peter Pans Flight.'
              Last edited by ttrocc7007; 12-08-2009, 01:44 PM. Reason: Spelling (sew, what else is gnu?)
              First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
              First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
              BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

But that's the Disneyland version that was partially recycled. The DLP version pictured is still there - you can even replicate that camera angle with the 3D version in Google Earth!

Comment

I can't see the photo, but I assume there is one.

Yesterland has a nice page about the pirate ship in Fantasyland.
                  For starters, it wasn't a ride.

And about its demise:
                  Originally posted by yesterland
                  By summer 1982, the ship was sitting in a dry construction site, but the ship could not be moved. Bulldozers unceremoniously demolished the longtime landmark. Trucks hauled away the mangled timbers and chunks of concrete.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X