X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fantasnick
    replied
    Re: Best Disneyland Decade

1999 to present. it just cant be beat. where do you think they got the expression "party like its 1999!"??! its because people knew that disneyland had a big decade coming up! with the perfect ending (they saved the best for last) of celebrate! a street parade! :yea:

lol jk bout the last part... but honestly, all the other decades were before my time so i HAVE to go with the decade of my era thats the best time ive ever known disneyland

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied

Originally posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
    The ultimate dark rides (POTC and HM), the ultimate Tomorrowland, a brand spanking new NOS, Mine Trains and Pack Mules, studio animators offering free sketches, the original Golden Horseshoe Review, it's gotta be the 1960's.
    1960's I agreed
    The Tiki Room
    The treehouse
    Great moments with Mr. Lincoln
    its a small world
    All the great attractions of the Tommorowland '67 makeover
    New Orleans Square , shops and restaurants.
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Haunted Mansion
    Last edited by Eagleman; 12-10-2009, 07:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyIzz
    replied

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I'm really not sure what we are supposed to call this decade. The "ots"? The "2000's"? The "double-ohs"? I have a good name not just DCA but the many parts of the whole place, especially in the first few (Pressler) years...

The "uh-ohs".
    hahahaha!!:lol: I've heard this decade be refered to as the "naughties" as well. Considering you had the seventies, eighties, etc...they seemed to think adding the "ies" to naught was a good way to go )

Leave a comment:

• DisneyIzz
    replied

As far as the park itself goes, definitely the 60's, despite the fact I wasn't around
    But for me personally, the best decade is the one we're currently in, as 2000 marked my first visit to both parks, making it easily the most special for me!!

Leave a comment:

• GummiBears_Rock
    replied

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post

I'm really not sure what we are supposed to call this decade. The "ots"? The "2000's"? The "double-ohs"? I have a good name not just DCA but the many parts of the whole place, especially in the first few (Pressler) years...

The "uh-ohs".
    :lol::lol:

Leave a comment:

• whitestrat
    replied

I would say the 70's for the reasons stated by manifest above.
    Plus, it was when I was a young lad, and that stuff sticks with you.

Leave a comment:

• manifest
    replied

The 70's were the best. It had everything that was built in the 60's along with countless other additions...and a genuine effort to keep the place running just as Walt would have wanted it to. There was movement all over Tomorrowland, an Abominable Snowman haunting the Matterhorn, new animals added to the Jungle Cruise and singing bears in Bear Country. I feel like all the hard work the 50's and 60's put in finally paid off in the 70's.

The 80's would be a close second. Great additions were brought to us, but just as much had to be taken away to make it happen.

Leave a comment:

• Radiobarry
    replied

Originally posted by Auroraflame View Post
    Generally wouldn't one view the decade they were a child as the best for Disneyland? I know I do, even if no one else agrees.
    No, Auroraflame, I agree with you, at least in large part.

In my case, I didn't have my first really memorable visits to the park til I was about 11-12 years old (67-68). And my working years coincided with what I considered to be the park's best period overall, so I would have been 18-25 years old then. That was my favorite time in the park, adding in experiences like the Tahititian Terrace and the great bands at Plaza Gardens to what's been mentioned.

So I am probably more the exception than the rule.

Originally posted by phi1215 View Post
    Every decade except the 90's, come on, nothing was that great in the 90's, we were stilling coming off the 80's and not ready for the 00's to come, it was a weird decade!

The "uh-ohs".

Leave a comment:

• GummiBears_Rock
    replied

Originally posted by winder*wonder View Post
    well, everyone is saying 60's which to a degree I also agree however, I grew up in the 90's and Disneyland was the best place to be. Only happy memories of Hunchback of Notre Dame play, Lion King parade, Aladdin's theatre and all that jazz.

So Im going with the 90's.
    yeah in my point of view, that was the best decade for me too, although i'm sure people are bummed about peoplemover and skyway and all that, but entertainment-wise i always hear how great it all was

by the way, i'm loving this thread!

Leave a comment:

• winder*wonder
    replied

well, everyone is saying 60's which to a degree I also agree however, I grew up in the 90's and Disneyland was the best place to be. Only happy memories of Hunchback of Notre Dame play, Lion King parade, Aladdin's theatre and all that jazz.

So Im going with the 90's.

Leave a comment:

• Auroraflame
    replied

Awe, I was just kidding!! I'd say every day, let alone year after year is great at Disneyland just because there the real world doesn't exist! :thumbup:
    Oh, now I feel stupid. Of course, I apologize.

Leave a comment:

• Mike_M
    replied

Originally posted by sgtpeper View Post
    Maybe because I was looking through the magic of my Childhood, but my favorite decade was the 1980's.

You still had a lot of Walt's ideas in the park, but a resurgence of technology to bring about rides like Star Tours. Later in the decade things got bad, but for the most part you had the best of the new and the best of the old combining to make a really magical experience!
    I can relate to this since it was also the prime years of my childhood visits. Whenever I am reminiscing about DL, I am usually thinking back to that time and the good memories from DL.

Taking a step back from my fond memories, I would still say the 80's were the best decade. You still had the TL 67' experience: Adventure through Innerspace (1st half of the decade), Mission to Mars, Peoplemover, Skyway, Original Subs and the proper location of the Rocket Jets (All gone now). But you also had a lot of new experiences. Recent additions from the late 70s, Space Mtn, America Sings, the re-themed Matterhorn interior and BTMRR, gave new excitement to the start of the decade. 83' brought on New Fantasyland which is one of the best makeovers DL has experienced. Then came Captain EO and Star Tours in 86'/87'. The Starcade was actually relevant and cutting edge (and packed). The end of the decade gave us Splash Mtn. It was the perfect period to have experienced the park.

Leave a comment:

• phi1215
    replied

Originally posted by Auroraflame View Post
    I certainly don't think so. Toward the end there, sure, but the 90s was full of excellent parades and shows that basically came out yearly. What, we had Parade of Dreams for what, 4 years and people were whining how stale it was. Wanna know why? Because they were spoiled by the 90s.

Grumble.... grumble....

Awe, I was just kidding!! I'd say every day, let alone year after year is great at Disneyland just because there the real world doesn't exist! :thumbup:

Leave a comment:

• Bob Weaver
    replied

If you mean most fertile decade for introduction of new attractions, definitely the 1960s:

1960: America the Beautiful, Mine train thru Nature's Wonderland, Art of Animation, Pack Mules thru Nature's Wonderland, Skull Rock and Pirate's Cove.
    1961: Snow White Grotto, Flying Saucers, Tahitian Terrace.
    1962: Adventureland Shooting Gallery, Jungle Cruise expansion, Swiss Family Treehouse.
    1963: Enchanted Tiki Room.
    1964: Mary Poppins released, Jungle Cruise expanded again.
    1965: Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, Park sees 50 millionth guest on August 12
    1966: "it's a small world," Primeval World diorama, Walt Disney and mayor of New Orleans dedicate New Orleans Square, some shops and restaurants open.
    1967: Pirates of the Caribbean, Blue Bayou restaurant, new Tomorrowland, Adventure thru Inner Space, Carousel of Progress, PeopleMover, Rocket Jets, redesigned Flight to the Moon.
    1969: Haunted Mansion. August 16 sees highest attendance up to that date, 82,516 guests in one day.

By comparison, this decade:
    2000: Chevron Autopia.
    2001: Downtown Disney, Disney's California Adventure.
    2003: The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.
    2005: Disneyland re-dedicated on 50th anniversary, Space Mountain rehab.
    2007: Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island.
    2008: Sleeping Beauty Walk-through re-opens.

Leave a comment:

• Auroraflame
    replied

Originally posted by Grandicorney View Post
    Without a doubt one of the best decades for Disneyland had to be the '60s. So many of the all time classic rides were added during those ten years.

Google "Disneyland timeline" and check out some of the cool things going on during the '60s

The Tiki Room
    The treehouse
    its a small world
    New Orleans Square and all the attractions, shops and restaurants.
    Lots of enhancements to existing attractions

And most important of all...

Walt was still there for a good part of it!
    Removed from my biased childhood standpoint, I'd have to agree with you. Walt was in full swing (err... til the end there) and classic unforgettable attractions were popping up like daisies. Here here.

Leave a comment:

• Grandicorney
    replied

Without a doubt one of the best decades for Disneyland had to be the '60s. So many of the all time classic rides were added during those ten years.

Google "Disneyland timeline" and check out some of the cool things going on during the '60s

The Tiki Room
    The treehouse
    its a small world
    New Orleans Square and all the attractions, shops and restaurants.
    Lots of enhancements to existing attractions

And most important of all...

Walt was still there for a good part of it!

Leave a comment:

• Bob Weaver
    replied

I would choose August 1969 through August 1979.

Leave a comment:

• Auroraflame
    replied

Every decade except the 90's, come on, nothing was that great in the 90's, we were stilling coming off the 80's and not ready for the 00's to come, it was a weird decade!
    I certainly don't think so. Toward the end there, sure, but the 90s was full of excellent parades and shows that basically came out yearly. What, we had Parade of Dreams for what, 4 years and people were whining how stale it was. Wanna know why? Because they were spoiled by the 90s.

Grumble.... grumble....

Leave a comment:

• phi1215
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Datameister
    replied

Well...yes and no. I think for most people, the first ten years in which they visited the park are indeed going to be the most special - I know they are for me. But I don't think those were the ten years that saw the most improvement to the park, or the ten years when the park was at its best.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X