• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• woodwanderer
    replied
    Re: New Queue Review

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
    If you're listing attractions with GREAT queues, Roger Rabbit is definitely one of the best!
    Most definitely. I haven't gone to Disneyland as much as the other Mice Chatters here have gone (no annual pass) but the first time I went on Roger Rabbit I did not have a fastpass (so waiting there for 45 minutes) and if that queue was not as interesting as it was I would have exploded.

Originally posted by techskip View Post
    I enjoy a well themed queue. I feel it adds to the experience of the attraction itself. If I had to pick one particular attraction that needed a better queue it would be Matterhorn. Teacups and Alice come in a close second.
    I personally like the Matterhorn queue because I like admiring the construction of it and looking at the awnings and such... Yet I consent I've never waited long in those lines so have never really been annoyed by the lack of "stuff".
    For the Teacups and Alice I can just enjoy looking at the details on the ride and that sustains me for some time.

Some queue's I don't like...
    Submarines - though one can always look at all the things going on around...
    most queues in California Adventure

Leave a comment:

• Aladdin
    replied

Originally posted by DisneyRicky View Post
    Well...California Screaming has no story and neither does Big Thunder Mtn.
    So you don't know the story of Big Thunder????????? Really????????
    That's like saying Big Thunder is just another coaster.

Now if you said California Screamin' "is just another coaster, you would mostly be right about that.

Leave a comment:

• ChessurInWonderland
    replied

California Screamin's queue looks like one taken from Six Flags to match the actual ride.

Leave a comment:

• 4Apples4Disney
    replied

California Screamer would be a funny ride name. And that really made me laugh.

Leave a comment:

• tamasurvivor
    replied

Well I was reading on another forum that Disney had been doing a test run of a new Queue idea at WDW which I think is in preparation to test run the new Dumbo attraction with the interactive circus tent queue.

From what I was reading, someone took some pictures of the thing and I think this was maybe posted somewhere on Westcoaster's forums but the test run on this was done to Rock N Roller Coaster at Hollywood Studios and what they did was merged the Fastpass machines for RNRC with Tower of Terror and both of them shared the same fastpass distribution. Now apparently fastpass was the same as usual where you get the ticket and return at your designated time; however the stand by line was now changed into something that was no longer a line.

What they did was created an open spaced area with interactive elements like benches, set ups with video games, a DJ playing music, and holding contests with people waiting for the ride, and calling out the groups and what they instead did was gave people entering the stand by area a colored card/chip/placard/etc with a letter and group number... Now there was apparently display boards that gave the approximate wait times for each group and when each group was ready to enter the short queue to board the attraction, the DJ would call the number and people in the group would line up to ride the ride. Now the catch 22 with this was apparently there was signs stating that if you missed your group number being called you missed out on riding the attraction [this IMO can cause guest service issues though] but the idea is nice if its done right... If it is all cheap like the test set up I saw on the pics... I dont think it would fly but if they actually devoted making an interactive waiting room for the attraction with themed elements then I think it would be a nice addition to any story related attraction.

Now this is similar to a restaurant seating concept and I am kinda in between on the idea... If Disney was smart and took something like the top patio to Space Mountain and added some theming to set the mood of getting ready to take an adventure into deep space, made it more interactive and added some cool activities to do while waiting for the attraction it would be a nice way to enjoy waiting 45+ minutes to ride it, plus the time moves faster when you are doing interactive things like they have inside Innoventions or the animation building... but then again, it depends on the size needed to house an extra interactive waiting room and kinda gives off the impression you are herded like cattle into the attraction when your group is called... Im kinda in between on the idea but I think something like that would be nice for families who dont want to wait in a hot line, plus even if its hot outside, with it being an open area for people to wait and do things in between then Disney can also be smart and sell snacks or little souveniers in the waiting area and make a little money that they would not normally make off people waiting in a line.

As for Queues like Screamin, a funhouse concept would make a great idea for a waiting room before boarding the attraction and it could even feature entertainment and other stuff where they call riders up by group number between acts... but then again, the ride doesnt get a long wait mostly so if they ever use this concept or find this concept works out nice, I would suggest creating interactive elements that dont take up any time. The only problem is that some queues are not designs for this and as a result will need to have the traditional set up for the line as making one out of a queue that isnt designed for it is definitely a bad idea... I know they have tried this with Fastpass and thats bad enough.

But again, if this idea is done right, it could being back the concept of designing queues with more interactivity and actually having to design a preshow to attractions which would enhance the story! I will see if I can find the link to the forum I found this on but then again, if its done like the photos I saw where it was not themed and not completely interactive then this would not be a good idea!

Actually I found the thread... I hope I am not derailing or breaking rules by posting a link to another message board but when mentioning the backstory to the pier, they could use the waiting area concept to create a better experience in enhancing the backstory to the pier before you ride the ride... anyhow I think there is a link on there to some pictures of the idea Disney is testing with RNRC but then again, I only read the forums on that website and I never really post on there as I am a lurker on their forums

But in relation to the queue situation, I can see a few attractions at Disneyland this concept could work with... Space Mountain [The patio and 2nd floor of Starcade], Indiana Jones [Main Rotunda area and opening up the barrier between entrance and exit queues], Soarin Over California [outer queue area made into a shaded patio with interactive videos/exhibits about flight], California Screamin [waiting area that enhances the pier story], Grizzly River Run [Opening the queue area maybe elaborate on making it more wilderness campsite themed]... But as for other attractions at DL, due to space, I cant really see where this idea could work.

http://www.westcoaster.net/community...eueing-system/
    Last edited by tamasurvivor; 01-03-2010, 03:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Incrediboy
    replied

^Cohetboy^The theme of Paradise Pier I'm imagining is that Gustav Tinkershmidt was the first to make a coaster with a loop-de-loop and the first ferris wheel with swinging carriages( another queue with similar theming to Screamin's) and possibly the first double decker carousal9 I wish). Gustav is an innovator like Walt Disney, and reinvented carnival rides before anyone else

The Screamin and Fun Wheel queue might also include newspapers talking about Tinkerscmidt's inventions. that's why I want cool gears and pumps on the ride.

Leave a comment:

• Incrediboy
    replied

The theme of Paradise Pier I'm imagining is that Gustav Tinkershmidt was the first to make a coaster with a loop-de-loop and the first ferris wheel with swinging carriages( another queue with similar theming to Screamin's) and possibly the first double decker carousal9 I wish). Gustav is an innovator like Walt Disney, and reinvented carnival rides before anyone else

The Screamin and Fun Wheel queue might also include newspapers talking about Tinkerscmidt's inventions. that's why I want cool gears and pumps on the ride.

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

Originally posted by Incrediboy View Post
    Now about the subject , my idea for California Screamin' would be indoors and Victorian with lots of fancy rotating gears both inside and outside in the ride: one at the launch with a pump or balloon that makes noise as it blows up, and one on the biggest lift with big turning gears acting as if they are pulling the car up the track. It should remind you of Gadget's Go Coaster except less cartoony(no glove hands on springs)

Welcome to MiceChat!

But onto your suggestion.... it's interesting but.. why? If you don't mind me asking. Is the queue supposed to represent something that doesn't belong in a typical roller coaster queue?

Leave a comment:

• Incrediboy
    replied

Hi everyone. This is my 3rd post and I just wanted to say I'm excited to be around many people who are as passionate about Disney as I am. My only interest right now for a job is to be a Disney Imagineer. I hope to make friends

Now about the subject , my idea for California Screamin' would be indoors and Victorian with lots of fancy rotating gears both inside and outside in the ride: one at the launch with a pump or balloon that makes noise as it blows up, and one on the biggest lift with big turning gears acting as if they are pulling the car up the track. It should remind you of Gadget's Go Coaster except less cartoony(no glove hands on springs)

Leave a comment:

• DLFreak71
    replied

Originally posted by DisneyRicky View Post
    In a way
    Big Thunder kinda does
    It's a run away train through a Mining town

Leave a comment:

• DisneyRicky
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sunrider
    replied

Originally posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post
    well if there was ever a line for it, then yes it would be pretty bad )
    ouch true...but still ouch..wonder what the queue for EO will look like ? will they redo the facase of the building or just slap up and EO poster and say here ya go?

Leave a comment:

• GummiBears_Rock
    replied

Originally posted by tikicub View Post
    "it's..."

*The Liberty Bell plays in the background*
    didn't see this, and i must comment: :lol::bang:

Leave a comment:

• GummiBears_Rock
    replied

Originally posted by sunrider View Post
    the outside queue of monsters inc is pretty bad...
    well if there was ever a line for it, then yes it would be pretty bad )

Leave a comment:

• tikicub
    replied

Originally posted by jedi Stitch View Post
    OK Fixed all Typos and it ok to be "that guy" on occasion...thanks
    "it's..."

*The Liberty Bell plays in the background*

Leave a comment:

• Quacky4Donald
    replied

This reminds me of a thread I started back in July:

http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...-plussing.html

I'd have to say that the Fantasyland dark rides really need some TLC, as well as Finding Nemo: Submarine Voyage and California Screamin'.

...Joe...

Leave a comment:

• sunrider
    replied

the outside queue of monsters inc is pretty bad...

Leave a comment:

• sunrider
    replied

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
    A themed queue is what it needs. An elaborate queue? Not as much. It still needs to match the land and that is a theme in itself.
    well now that you mention it it does feel like they missed it when they gave things that victorian feel... but i retract my statement to a point..where it needs to be added to the style of the land...

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

Originally posted by sunrider View Post
    well all things considerd, maybe screamin does not need a themed queue..simply because they do not hide the fact its a roller coaster..so if its not trying to pretend to take you some where else ..then it is what it is and maybe the non themed queue is what is called for?
    A themed queue is what it needs. An elaborate queue? Not as much. It still needs to match the land and that is a theme in itself.

Leave a comment:

• sunrider
    replied

well all things considerd, maybe screamin does not need a themed queue..simply because they do not hide the fact its a roller coaster..so if its not trying to pretend to take you some where else ..then it is what it is and maybe the non themed queue is what is called for?

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X