This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report A Wonderful Day of Technical Errors at the Disneyland Resort

Yesterday, I went with two of my friends, and I had a great time. The crowds weren't as bad on a Sunday during the holiday season, so the lines were very tolerable (30-40 minute wait with the exception of the Toy Story ride).

However, just surprised to encounter some technical difficulties with some of the rides:
    (1) Aladdin (4:15p.m. showing): During "A Whole New World" performance, the performance was cut short. Flying carpet was working fine. One of the cast members appeared on stage and told the performers to retreat backstage, and the carpet was still flying with the actors on it and no music on. Waited for 10 minutes, then continued at the end of the song with Aladdin and Jasmine kissing. >_< Of course, genie used the technical difficulty in his jokes which was funny.

(2) Space Mountain: This moment was a bit scary. We were waiting at the loading area about to get on the ride. The loading doors opened and my friend got on first. Assuming that the loading doors would still stay open, I continued walking until i ran into the loading door shutting in front of me. I got separated from my party as they went on the ride without me. A cast member then approached me and told me to go to the first row. After the ride, my friends were waiting for me and were furious at the cast members for rushing us onto the ride. My friend almost got his foot caught from those doors, but he made it on. The cast members ignored our complaints initially, but when we stood there furious along with many other people that had the same complaint, one of the cast members came back and handed us a pass to ride it again. Pretty much, the reason that the cast members gave us was that they had to load us on very fast before they get back up of the vehicles just coming back from the ride. To me, that reason is not a good excuse to risk visitor's safety with those loading doors.

(3) Thunder Mountain: Got stuck on an incline in the beginning. Not a long delay.

(4) Haunted Mansion: technical problems with the doombuggies. There was a back-up of visitors waiting to get on from the doombuggie loading area to the inside of the elevators.

Otherwise, it was fun day. The technical difficulties just made it an interesting experience, so it wasn't a negative thing (except for the SM mishap). I just hope that with the Space Mountain situation, they wouldn't pull that again. >_<
    ~Helen :thumbup:

Disneyland Rocks~! :ap:

Re: A Wonderful Day of Technical Errors at the Disneyland Resort

But, you'll remember those moments...
    One of my childrens' favorite Disney memory is of the Genie coming out after Aladdin being "interupted" and saying "...show was broke, but I fixed it...*looks up*...I was twittering!"

Comment

1) The Genie doesn't need an excuse to crack wise. And having the Magic Carpet flight rig stuck out over the audience happens every once in a while.

2) Space Mountain, they were not kidding when they said you had to hustle, and they closed the station gates on you when you didn't - they have to dispatch a rocket every (IIRC) 22 seconds because there's one coming back in every 22 seconds.

And for the same reason, they don't have time to stand there and explain it to you, the Station CM's have to keep unloading and loading and hustling the rockets out of there on schedule. They have to get one of the extra Cast Members to come over and deal with you as the rockets keep marching through.

If you cause a station hold they can absorb one extra rocket in the braking area, and that's about it - any longer and the whole ride does an automatic safety shutdown - a "cascade" and Emergency Stop, all the rockets stop in the various brake zones out in the main room. Then the ride is down for a half-hour to 45 minutes as they unload all the guests and reset.

3) They probably stopped both lifts at the same time, that's because Lift Two is the one with the "Goat Trick" at the top. You as a rider want to sit in the last row or two, and right as you reach the top of the lift and are alongside the Goat you want turn your head and upper body to the right and stare straight at the goat as you go around the turn because it does a number on your inner ear...

The CM's want you sitting straight forward for safety, and if they see (in the security cameras) people twisting in their seats too soon they will stop the lift momentarily and yell at you over the PA to "Sit forward!"

Meanwhile, the people who happen to be on the other lift at that time are wondering why they stopped.

4) Probably stopped the Doom Buggies to load or unload a Special Assistance guest using a wheelchair. Same thing happens on Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, or the other Omnimover rides.

And for your closing comments, there isn't a nice way to put up a sign on Space Mountain saying "Please MOVE when you get on and off the ride, we have a schedule to keep..." :shy: Then again, you don't want to tell the teenagers exactly how to cause maximum havoc...

--<< Bruce >>--
      There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Hitting 4-5 technical difficulties for a full day's visit is not uncommon. I see it happening quite often actually and even sometimes when I'm only there half the day. Believe it or not things used to be alot worse about 10 years ago. Glad to hear that the technical difficulties didn't ruin your trip overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
          Then again, you don't want to tell the teenagers exactly how to cause maximum havoc...

--<< Bruce >>--
          haha so true.

flower gleam & glow...

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
            1) The Genie doesn't need an excuse to crack wise. And having the Magic Carpet flight rig stuck out over the audience happens every once in a while.

2) Space Mountain, they were not kidding when they said you had to hustle, and they closed the station gates on you when you didn't - they have to dispatch a rocket every (IIRC) 22 seconds because there's one coming back in every 22 seconds.

And for the same reason, they don't have time to stand there and explain it to you, the Station CM's have to keep unloading and loading and hustling the rockets out of there on schedule. They have to get one of the extra Cast Members to come over and deal with you as the rockets keep marching through.

If you cause a station hold they can absorb one extra rocket in the braking area, and that's about it - any longer and the whole ride does an automatic safety shutdown - a "cascade" and Emergency Stop, all the rockets stop in the various brake zones out in the main room. Then the ride is down for a half-hour to 45 minutes as they unload all the guests and reset.

3) They probably stopped both lifts at the same time, that's because Lift Two is the one with the "Goat Trick" at the top. You as a rider want to sit in the last row or two, and right as you reach the top of the lift and are alongside the Goat you want turn your head and upper body to the right and stare straight at the goat as you go around the turn because it does a number on your inner ear...

The CM's want you sitting straight forward for safety, and if they see (in the security cameras) people twisting in their seats too soon they will stop the lift momentarily and yell at you over the PA to "Sit forward!"

Meanwhile, the people who happen to be on the other lift at that time are wondering why they stopped.

4) Probably stopped the Doom Buggies to load or unload a Special Assistance guest using a wheelchair. Same thing happens on Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, or the other Omnimover rides.

And for your closing comments, there isn't a nice way to put up a sign on Space Mountain saying "Please MOVE when you get on and off the ride, we have a schedule to keep..." :shy: Then again, you don't want to tell the teenagers exactly how to cause maximum havoc...

--<< Bruce >>--
            lol, for Space Mountain, I didn't just take my time to get on as if I wanted to tease the CM. I was right behind my friend to get on. It just so happen that they shut the door in front of me.

For the Haunted Mansion ride, it wasn't because of the handicap. The cast members even announced that there were problems, so all stayed there until they fixed the problem.

And yes, the genie doesn't need an excuse to crack a joke, but it was still funny.

Not attacking the CMs. They have their reasons for the way it happened. It just never happened to me before in my years of visiting Disneyland.
            ~Helen :thumbup:

Disneyland Rocks~! :ap:

Comment

Originally posted by smartypants723 View Post
              Yesterday, I went with two of my friends, and I had a great time. The crowds weren't as bad on a Sunday during the holiday season, so the lines were very tolerable (30-40 minute wait with the exception of the Toy Story ride).

However, just surprised to encounter some technical difficulties with some of the rides:
              (1) Aladdin (4:15p.m. showing): During "A Whole New World" performance, the performance was cut short. Flying carpet was working fine. One of the cast members appeared on stage and told the performers to retreat backstage, and the carpet was still flying with the actors on it and no music on. Waited for 10 minutes, then continued at the end of the song with Aladdin and Jasmine kissing. >_< Of course, genie used the technical difficulty in his jokes which was funny.

(2) Space Mountain: This moment was a bit scary. We were waiting at the loading area about to get on the ride. The loading doors opened and my friend got on first. Assuming that the loading doors would still stay open, I continued walking until i ran into the loading door shutting in front of me. I got separated from my party as they went on the ride without me. A cast member then approached me and told me to go to the first row. After the ride, my friends were waiting for me and were furious at the cast members for rushing us onto the ride. My friend almost got his foot caught from those doors, but he made it on. The cast members ignored our complaints initially, but when we stood there furious along with many other people that had the same complaint, one of the cast members came back and handed us a pass to ride it again. Pretty much, the reason that the cast members gave us was that they had to load us on very fast before they get back up of the vehicles just coming back from the ride. To me, that reason is not a good excuse to risk visitor's safety with those loading doors.

(3) Thunder Mountain: Got stuck on an incline in the beginning. Not a long delay.

(4) Haunted Mansion: technical problems with the doombuggies. There was a back-up of visitors waiting to get on from the doombuggie loading area to the inside of the elevators.

Otherwise, it was fun day. The technical difficulties just made it an interesting experience, so it wasn't a negative thing (except for the SM mishap). I just hope that with the Space Mountain situation, they wouldn't pull that again. >_<
              Lucky...I have NEVER (In 8 Years) been stuck on a ride . I want to get stuck on Tower of Terror or Indiana Jones...Just to be able to walk around!
              Don't forget the rules on Micechat! We need to work together to make sure this is the happiest place in cyberspace!

Starting Summer 2019: All photos available on my Instagram account

Comment

That's funny I went to Disneyland on December 20th and had a few technical errors to. Indianna Jones broke down 2 times during the day and the first lift for BTMR stopped a few seconds.
                Originally posted by MainStreetJake
                Mike's funny. Dirty as a mud wrestling tournament, but funny.
                Originally posted by williamtheking
                Mike Skellington: He is what everyone says is wrong with the internet generation, and I love the for it!
                Mike Skellington
                My Tumblr.....Pretty Please Follow!!!!!!!!! And I'll follow you back.

Comment

My family has encountered the Space Mountain issue as well, but there's not much the CMs can do about it. My dad has a bad knee and it took him a little too long to get on the ride, and our rocket had to be sent to the backstage area (they basically took it off the track) and we had to reload the ride (my dad decided to not bother trying to get on again). Those CMs really dont want to deal with a full ride e-stop and I can understand that...
                  sigpic

-melissa.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyRicky View Post
                    Lucky...I have NEVER (In 8 Years) been stuck on a ride . I want to get stuck on Tower of Terror or Indiana Jones...Just to be able to walk around!
                    you really want to get stuck on tower of terror? i would be scared to death!
                    Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
                    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
                    Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

Originally posted by SolidWorks Mike View Post
                      I highly doubt the safety gates are capable of giving you anything more then a bruised ego when they shut on you.
                      Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 01-03-2010, 12:44 PM. Reason: Please do not refer to or discuss reputation per MiceChat FAQ.
                      This post brought to you by Eli ♥
                      You know what's weird? Donald Duck never wore pants. But whenever he's getting out of the shower, he always put a towel around his waist. I mean, what's that about?
                      LA GALAXYCHELSEA FCARSENAL FC

http://www.seashepherd.org

Comment

I've never been to the park the day (or next) after the holidays.
                        We see the decorations go up slowly..
                        How fast do they come down?
                        Are they gone the next day (like "Magic")
                        or does it take a few days?
                        Quote by Al:
                        To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                        -Al Lutz

Comment

I was there yesterday too and I was majorly irritated by 4 and SM broke down later in the day and that sucked too.
                          https://twitter.com/ajcurry_

Comment

You had quite the day. The most tecnical issues I've encountered at Disneyland in a day is twice on Splash and BTMRR.

one hundred and one

Comment

I've encountered a space mountain accident where all the lights came on and the ride had a power outage...Also on my friends birthday we got a free fast pass and another time the same friend broke her shoe in the challenge trail and we got a free pass for inconvenience so the CMs can do something if they choose to.

Comment

I would love to be stuck on a ride and walk through it. Especially the Matterhorn. The weirdest thing that happen to me was Splash mountain being broken down and almost being evacuated but they fixed the ride for about 5 seconds we went backwards on Thunder Mountain.
                                sigpicWhat?!?! Birth By Sleep is only coming out on the PSP?!?! It's the end of the world!!!

Comment

I had no idea that they had to keep the pace on SM just so on the loading and unloading. There was some guy in front of me when I went in June and he was taking awhile to sit down and kept asking the CM's about something (although I couldn't understand what they were saying), but a few CM's came over and they were very harsh with this man and started angrily arguing with him because they needed to hurry up and load the rocket and get it moving. At the time I thought it was pretty rude of the CM's to be so harsh and to practically be yelling at him, but now I see it differently- they were just doing their jobs and trying to keep the pace of the rockets and to keep it from shutting down for 45 mins.

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

Comment

If you're in the station for SM, and you hear different beeping noises consistently, then they are probably having a station backup. You can also look at the CMs expressions.

The air gates may seem intimidating, but if you happen to be in ones path, it won't close on you until you move. Sure, it isn't a subtle event if it hits you, but it won't cause any bodily harm.

Comment

Originally posted by disneyfreak101 View Post
                                      I've encountered a space mountain accident where all the lights came on and the ride had a power outage...Also on my friends birthday we got a free fast pass and another time the same friend broke her shoe in the challenge trail and we got a free pass for inconvenience so the CMs can do something if they choose to.
                                      You're comparing a leisure challenge trail full of CMs with time on their hands over a high-paced roller coaster full of CMs dealing with hour waits and safety positions...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
                                      -Jurassic Park

Comment

Always preferred working the Matterhorn to Space. More holds to work with, slightly longer dispatch windows, outside, not quite as loud. Overall, more mellow.

Matterhorn kept you alert and busy, but not as stressed.

Never worked the dark ride rotations with the exit console position. Before that, the CM was responsible for exiting the guest, jogging the ride vehicle through the station, and loading, all from the dispatch console at load. Kept you on your toes.

Having the exit console must make it much nicer with 101s fewer and farther between.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X