Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Trip Advice... Going (Han) Solo!

Hello MiceChatters,

I write today to seek out the collective wisdom of our community.

On December 21st I will be visiting Disneyland for my birthday. For this trip I will be going to the park all by myself. The questions I pose to all of you are thus...

1. Is there anything you recommend doing on a day alone in the park?
    2. What are some of your favorite things to do when you have no one else with you? Is there certain spots you like to eat at when only alone?
    3. Do you have any interesting stories about Solo-Trips you've taken?

Here are some things that I would like to point out before you answer the questions...

• Though not an AP holder, I do visit Disneyland quite regularly.
    • I haven't been to Disneyland during the Christmas season in 11 years.
    • I will be there from park open to park close.
    • I like to take my days at the park casually, I'm not someone who rushes around to get in as many rides as possible.
    • I'm visiting with the Free B-Day Ticket, so no park hopping.

I should also note this is not my first Solo trip to the park. While living in Las Vegas, I took a vacation to the DLR for an entire week alone. So while I am not a newcomer to the solo trip, I am extremely curious to know how others go about tackling a day alone.

Yes, I would!
    24.24%
    Yes, I have!
    65.15%
    No, I would never!
    6.06%
    No, but I would!
    4.55%
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere"

Re: Trip Advice... Going (Han) Solo!

First off, Happy early Birthday to you!

Funny you post this now because I just got back from my very first solo trip. I was in the park from the 8th - 12th and I ended up having a blast! I only make it to Disneyland about once a year and I usually go with a good friend or my family so this was definitely a unique experience that I hope to pull off again soon.

As for your questions...
    1) I'm a ride person so I took advantage of the single rider ticket over at Indiana Jones Adventure. While it may seem lonely, it was fun being able to enjoy rides totally by myself.

2) Again, I am all about the rides! Haha, I try and make it on as many of them as possible because I can't get enough. Taking pictures was fun as well after having gotten a new camera for my most recent trip and just trying to get nifty shots I'd never managed to get before. I also enjoy browsing the shops, finding gifts for friends and trading pins while venturing the park alone. As for eating, I love going to the Uva Bar in Downtown Disney! It's fun whether alone or with a few people. They are extremely quick and efficient, plus the food is delicious. I also love River Belle Terrace to get a Mickey pancake and just people watch while eating outside. Also while the line can get pretty long, the Blue Ribbon Bakery rocks if you just want to grab a gingerbread man and a holiday coffee for on the go as you wander Main Street. I loved all of this alone. :0)

3) Even though I went totally by myself (I was flying in from the Bay Area/Northern CA.), I was not always alone. Coming alone meant I wasn't trying to cater to someone else's schedule...a friend or family member staying with me. This meant I got to make new friends and I managed to meet some extremely awesome MiceChatters. That to me made my trip special.

So in the end, it sounds like you enjoy being leisurely. I say just take the park in, do things you don't normally do. Take a camera and make memories that way, finding special shots. Try and enjoy things that have to do with the holidays since the park is all decked out and there's limited merchandise and food stuffs everywhere to get you all in the spirit. It's a special time at Disneyland so take advantage of the stuff that isn't always there.

I was pretty nervous about making my first solo trip (not just Disneyland...anywhere) but it proved to be a blast for me. I recommend it to anyone so now I know I can fully enjoy this kind of trip again if friends are unable to make the trek without me.

Have a great trip and I hope your second solo trip and be sure to get your free birthday button!
    http://www.facebook.com/silverpsycho
    Always looking for new Disney friends.

Comment

Why go alone? Take me along. I live in San Bernardino, which isn't too far off your route to Anaheim, and have Premium pass, which will save you $14 in parking. I live right off the 210 freeway near the Waterman exit, near the Arrowhead Country Club. My wife probably has to work, and doesn't like to go as often as I do. I'll call you if you leave a phone number.

Comment

First off, I like the Mickey Trek avatar, I need to steal if for use in some manner in the future...

Second off, this question has been asked many times, do a search if you want more advice than what gets posted here.

On to your questions...

I spent a lot of solo time in the park two years ago. I truly enjoyed it, even if it does get a bit lonesome after a while.

Bring a book or something else to occupy you. You may be super social (I'm not) and enjoy talking to strangers, but you'll still be alone some of the time. Having a book to read was a life saver while doing the Submarine Voyage stand-by line, for example.

It's amazing how much you can get done when you're not delayed by other people's walking speed, bathroom trips, snacking, shopping, etc. In many ways, a solo trip is quite liberating.

Try to think of things that you might like to do, that a companion might object to. This is a great opportunity to take things slow, spend a lot of time admiring and photographing the Christmas decor for example. Not so easy when your travelling buddy wants to rush to the next E-ticket...

I didn't change my eating habits when travelling alone. I'd probably feel a bit conspicuous eating at the Blue Bayou solo, but that's just me. I ate by myself at Cafe Orleans, despite the fact I usually won't eat alone at a place where one is waited on. It would feel kind of odd waiting there by yourself, but the service is so quick there (too quick, but I digress...), it wasn't an issue.
        My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

I would say enjoy the park. I don't know your tastes and interests so I can't say more then that. Personally I loved going to the park solo. I would sit and relax on the Mark Twain, ride Jungle, or hit the Single Rider lines when I could so I didn't wait as long. It's fun... but again it really depends on your tastes.
          "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Taking pictures was fun as well after having gotten a new camera for my most recent trip and just trying to get nifty shots I'd never managed to get before.
            I enjoy the same thing, and am looking forward to venturing around with my camera without having to worry about disrupting the schedule of someone else.

It's amazing how much you can get done when you're not delayed by other people's walking speed, bathroom trips, snacking, shopping, etc. In many ways, a solo trip is quite liberating.
            I think that's the best part of the solo trip.

Bring a book or something else to occupy you.
            I actually brought a book with me on my last solo trip, I spent an hour on the railroad reading while circling the park.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm looking forward to my trip.
            Last edited by ImagineerAtHeart; 12-14-2009, 10:06 PM. Reason: typos
            "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere"

Comment

Solo trips are sometimes the best.
              They give you a chance to ppl watch.
              Quote by Al:
              To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
              -Al Lutz

Comment

Originally posted by DLFreak71 View Post
                Solo trips are sometimes the best.
                They give you a chance to ppl watch.

Yup, one of my favorite past times when I am alone. It can be great fun as long as you are not creepy about it.

Comment

When I go these days, it's with my 15 year old daughter and several of her friends. After the first couple of hours, the kids all want to ditch dad, so a good part of my time there is solo.

I love it!

I get to choose what I want to do, whether I want to ride rides, or just sit and people-watch. I like the slow dark rides that the girls don't so much, so I can ride them as much as I want.

I find that with a slower pace, I'm able to notice more details than I do with a group. Sort of 'stop and smell the roses' once in a while.

A total solo trip would be so much fun, but I'd never be able to sneak one in.

Rob

Comment

I go to the park maybe once a year, sometimes more but that's rare. When I do go I go with a rather large family (at least ten people, 3 brothers, 2 sisters, 1 brother-in law, 1 niece, 1 nephew and finally my parents), that being said in high school my Orchestra went to Disneyland and I ended up going off on my own, occasionally I did bump into my classmates but most of the time I was solo. And it was surprisingly peaceful, a bit lonely at times but it was a good experience.

To answer your Questions:
                    1. Take your time, relax and soak in the park. Ride your favorite rides, maybe even meet new people while your at it.

2. As for things I like to do alone, I love Star Tours so I kinda went on it a great many times when I was alone (I think it was six or seven, something like that). Pick your favorite rides and feel free to ride them to your hearts content is my personal opinion.

3. On the trip I mentioned above it was fun just getting to experience Disneyland solo, but it was fun to run into people I knew from my class throughout the park. It was a good trip.

Good luck on your Solo-Trip and enjoy your birthday.
                    "It matters not how strait the gate how charged with Punishments the scroll I am the master of my fate I am the captain of my soul" -- W.E. Henley

Comment

I'd definitely like to spend a day in the park alone sometime. That way I can do stuff like stand in the same place for half an hour trying to get a good picture, watch musical chairs, ride Jungle Cruise 12 times, and do other things my family refuses to do with me.

Comment

Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
                        I'd definitely like to spend a day in the park alone sometime. That way I can do stuff like stand in the same place for half an hour trying to get a good picture, watch musical chairs, ride Jungle Cruise 12 times, and do other things my family refuses to do with me.
                        Yup
                        It's my day to ride Mansion all day if I want too
                        I'm lucky if I get the group on the ride once.
                        Quote by Al:
                        To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                        -Al Lutz

Comment

I went solo a few years back and loved it. Ditto on being able to stop and take lots of pictures and ride exactly what you want as many times as you want. I also took the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour, which was fun because I got to chat w/ some other guests, and because it was a weekday the tourgroup was small.

People are so friendly at Disneyland that I never felt awkward asking someone to take my photo or chatting w/ someone in line or on a ride.

Happy Bday and have a great time!
                          Be Nice or Leave

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X