This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Official Name Of Little Mermaid Ride Confirmed

According to the Winter 2009 DVC magazine, Ariel's Undersea Adventure is the confirmed name of the E-ticket ride slated for both DCA and WDW. The magazine also states that both attractions will open in 2011. Al has already confirmed that the ride will open at DCA that year. I submit that the same projection for WDW is wrong. As far as I'm concerned, the new attraction name is seaperb! ...even though it's a little deeper than most.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Re: Official Name Of Little Mermaid Ride Confirmed

Hasn't this been on construction walls for months now?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

Originally posted by MasterGracey View Post
      Hasn't this been on construction walls for months now?
      Not our construction walls here at MiceChat. But, thanks for listing an additional source of confirmation as I've been fishing for them. All of these walls are creating big waves for what will be a phenominal ride! WDI has just barely scratched the surface in divulging what exciting new technologies and killer effects to expect.
      Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-16-2009, 11:57 PM.

Comment

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Jj0LBGX-g&feature=related]YouTube - little Mermaide Ride Update Disneyland New Attraction[/ame]

According to the Disney video, more details of the Little Mermaid ride will be on display at DCA's Blue Sky Cellar early in 2010.

Comment

Considering the fact that the movie was extremely well done... WDI really doesn't need to do too much creatively speaking. They're simply retelling the story. Sure it will be fun the first time through, but once again I find that I can get roughly the same visual experience watching the DVD at home.
          "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post
            Considering the fact that the movie was extremely well done... WDI really doesn't need to do too much creatively speaking. They're simply retelling the story. Sure it will be fun the first time through, but once again I find that I can get roughly the same visual experience watching the DVD at home.
            Like you techskip, I wish that Disney would get out of the habbit of building rides that are a direct recounting of the films they are based on. However, I will still find the ride highly repeatable... as we are still talking about a different medium. Depends on how you look at things. It will be like listening to a favorite record over and over again (only on BlueRay)... just like Pirates in this respect. Plus, the tech effects should be utterly mind blowing.

Comment

Here's to the ride being a great addition to DCA. I think it'll be good, to be honest I enjoy seeing the movies brought to life in a ride, it's such a different experience when you see the story unfold around you and you get to see all your favorite characters.
              "It matters not how strait the gate how charged with Punishments the scroll I am the master of my fate I am the captain of my soul" -- W.E. Henley

Comment

Originally posted by Harrison View Post
                I enjoy seeing the movies brought to life in a ride, it's such a different experience when you see the story unfold around you and you get to see all your favorite characters.
                I feel the exact same way every time I go to Universal Studios. After all the entire point of that park is to bring beloved movies to life. When I'm at Disneyland my expectation shifts to being entertained by something completely different and unique. I can watch Nemo whenever I want to, I can't take a safari through the Jungle, interact with ghosts in a mansion, or ride a classic steam train. Just like when I go to Magic Mountain my expectation is to experience the best of the thrill rides because that is what Magic Mountain provides. There was a time not long ago when Disney the park and Disney the movie were not one in the same.

sigpic

Comment

^ well said.

by the way, does anyone know what the ride is going to be like? like either rollercoaster style, or something like splash mountain, or a dark ride? well considering it being labeled "E-ticket" i wouldn't think it would be a dark ride
                  Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
                  You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
                  Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

Originally posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post
                    ^ well said.

by the way, does anyone know what the ride is going to be like? like either rollercoaster style, or something like splash mountain, or a dark ride? well considering it being labeled "E-ticket" i wouldn't think it would be a dark ride
                    I just have to use this quote... Tony Baxter to E Ticket Magazine "We opened Nemo, giving us another major "E" ticket attraction."

That should tell you just how much the term has changed. TLM is slated to be an omnimover slow ride system.

sigpic

Comment

greeeeaaaaatt......so then i shall keep my expectations low
                      Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
                      You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
                      Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

I didn't mean to lower anyone's expectations. By all accounts they are spending a small fortune on this and pegging it with the partial responsibility of rescuing DCA. That said the scenes shown in the Blue Sky movie are taken directly from the movie, which draws the immedaite question of why it is being made and shoehorned into DCA. Fantasyland is the only original area that did scene for scene copies... and even that was more from an experience perspective then a passive observer perspective.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Harrison View Post
                          Here's to the ride being a great addition to DCA. I think it'll be good, to be honest I enjoy seeing the movies brought to life in a ride, it's such a different experience when you see the story unfold around you and you get to see all your favorite characters.
                          Valuable point Harrison. It's a different kind of a thrill all together watching the story unforld around in full deminsion as if you were a part of it. You're also able to interact with the characters more up closeand personally... and at times sing along with them.

Comment

nice update, the title is perfect but like others i think the SPFX will be what will ultimately be the driveing force behind the ride if its shot per shot like the film.. i dunno after the oooooooohhhs and aaaaaahhhhhhhs of the eye candy.the ride will have to stand on its own merits eventualy
                            "Alright you primative screwheads listen up.."BRUCE CAMPBELL

Comment

I just have to use this quote... Tony Baxter to E Ticket Magazine "We opened Nemo, giving us another major "E" ticket attraction."

That should tell you just how much the term has changed. TLM is slated to be an omnimover slow ride system.
                              It's not as if slower moving E-ticket rides are something novel to Disney theme parks, techskip. The Haunted Mansion, Pirates and Splash Mountain (apart from the big drop) are all highly popular and intense headliners. The way that the LM omnimover travels up and down different showbuilding levels of totally immersive themed scenes should be pretty trippy in and of itself.

Keep those expectations higher than a tsunami wave, GummiBears_Rock! The only way that you're not going to be enamored with excitement over this ride is if you don't care for a Pirates/Mansion/Splash type of a ride on steroids... chock full of next generation unique effects.

I didn't mean to lower anyone's expectations. By all accounts they are spending a small fortune on this and pegging it with the partial responsibility of rescuing DCA. That said the scenes shown in the Blue Sky movie are taken directly from the movie, which draws the immedaite question of why it is being made and shoehorned into DCA. Fantasyland is the only original area that did scene for scene copies... and even that was more from an experience perspective then a passive observer perspective.
                              As the ride isn't even built yet (and you haven't experienced it), how can you foretell and conclude that Ariel's Undersea Adventure will be presented from a passive lame observer perspective rather than an exciting experience based orientation.

Another point of contention is your assertion that the ride is being shoehorned into DCA. Disney is sparing no expense creating an all new humongous main show building... apart from a building (from the former SF District) being renovated as a highly ornate ride entry way. WDI is pulling out no stops in tayloring Little Mermaid specifically as a new area in DCA.

Glad that you seem to have indicated that your appraisal might become elevated once you experience the attraction.
                              Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-17-2009, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sunrider View Post
                                nice update, the title is perfect but like others i think the SPFX will be what will ultimately be the driveing force behind the ride if its shot per shot like the film.. i dunno after the oooooooohhhs and aaaaaahhhhhhhs of the eye candy.the ride will have to stand on its own merits eventualy
                                Fair enuff. All new rides are subject to the test of time. Anyway you look at it, that ooooh ahhh eye candy a ga ga is going to be such an amazing experience that I know I'll be all beside myself with excitement the first several times I ride, sunrider. Incidentally, you're MC name is cooler than cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post
                                  It's not as if slower moving E-ticket rides are something novel to Disney theme parks, techskip. The Haunted Mansion, Pirates and Splash Mountain (apart from the big drop) are all highly popular and intense headliners. The way that the LM omnimover travels up and down different showbuilding levels of totally immersive themed scenes should be pretty trippy in and of itself.
                                  It is comical that two of your three examples are based on unique experiences. Likewise two of your three examples provide thrills in the form of drops and one of those has substantial drops... TLM from a drawing board perspective provides about as much thrill as Nemo, and substantially less thrill then Mr Toad's Wild Ride. It might look better then Pooh or Tarzan but ultimately the Blue Sky movie left me with the impression that it will be a rerun of a beloved movie.

As the ride isn't even built yet (and you haven't experienced it), how can you foretell and conclude that Ariel's Undersea Adventure will be presented from a passive lame observer perspective rather than an exciting experience based orientation.
                                  Well let me think about this... the movie shows a model and Lasseter says openly that they took scenes right out of the movie... which is actually less than they did for Nemo. Likewise the target was never an "E" Ticket but a solid "D" Ticket which according to Tony means it is actually down a notch from Nemo. Since Nemo isn't exactly thrilling, and I will be crusing around in a HM ripoff shell seeing a rerun of TLM, I can conclude that it likely won't do much for me. The first time the eye candy will be fun and I am sure my kids will love it. After thatI think it will be a lot like Nemo...

Another point of contention is your assertion that the ride is being shoehorned into DCA. Disney is sparing no expense creating an all new humongous main show building... apart from a building (from the former SF District) being renovated as a highly ornate ride entry way. WDI is pulling out no stops in tayloring Little Mermaid specifically as a new area in DCA.
                                  The outside looks amazing... but how in any way does that make up for what is inside? That by definition is a shoehorn... having something different on the inside but blending the outside so it "matches". Sebastian can bang every shell he want's to bang on, won't make it any more Victorian Boardwalk.

sigpic

Comment

It will be a decent ride, but if you think we're getting something along the lines of Pirates and HM, you're setting yourself up for incredible disappointment. The size of the show building currently under construction should be your first clue that this will not be on that scale at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ryno1986 View Post
                                      It will be a decent ride, but if you think we're getting something along the lines of Pirates and HM, you're setting yourself up for incredible disappointment. The size of the show building currently under construction should be your first clue that this will not be on that scale at all.
                                      Perhaps, ryno. As is always the case with new rides, we'll have to wait and see how it turns out in the final analysis. The decision has been made to enlarge the building toward the back area, where it will engulf the restroom area. In addition, several levels are being dug out to accomodate the emensity of the attraction... and to make it an awesome experience.

Comment

I'm actually feeling pretty optimistic about everything except the attraction's thematic appropriateness. I doubt it'll be any more of a "rerun" than some of the Fantasyland dark rides, which are not my favorites but certainly have an appeal to them. The difference is indeed the medium - even if the story is very much the same, you're being surrounded by a three-dimensional, real-world version. It's an entirely different medium. I'm going to go in expecting something between the respective scales of Pirates and Peter Pan, with nothing particularly different from the film, and as such, I'll probably enjoy it. Provided I succeed in pretending I wasn't just on an early-20th-century California boardwalk next to a flight school run by Goofy.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X