Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we get some real entertainment?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Chat] Can we get some real entertainment?

    Excluding the parade, fireworks, and Fantasmic!, what does Disneyland have to offer in terms of entertainment? Sure there is the hillbillies in Frontierland but that feels more like a dinner show. What ever happened to the live stage shows that filled us with excitement and emotions only Disney could express through a stage show?

    EDIT:

    My real question is, imagine a weekday in January of 2010, you paid full price for your ticket just like someone who goes on a weekend in July, and you want to watch a few shows. What does the Disneyland Resort offer to those guests who visit on a weekend in January? No Jubilee, No Fantasmic!, no fireworks. Honestly, what has the Disneyland Resort come to considering that 15 or so years ago, this would have been outright ridiculous to Disneyland fans.
    Last edited by Ice101; 12-22-2009, 09:35 AM.

  • #2
    Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

    What? Disneyland is teeming with live entertainment.

    You mean a sit-down stage presentation? Like a play?
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/




    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

      Originally posted by leopardchucks View Post
      What? Disneyland is teeming with live entertainment.

      You mean a sit-down stage presentation? Like a play?
      Yes. Something along the lines of Aladdin.

      There used to be a time where Disneyland would offer plenty of shows where you would enter a theater, sit down and they would dazzle you with amazing performances and effects. Some of those shows include:
      • Beauty and the Beast
      • The Hunchback of Notre Dame: Festival of Fools
      • The Spirit of Pocahontas
      • Animazement

      and the list goes on. Now we have about nothing. Oh I can't wait until those weekdays in January when literally the only entertainment offerings there will be are the Hillbillies and the maybe a parade. Nothing else....

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

        Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
        Yes. Something along the lines of Aladdin.

        There used to be a time where Disneyland would offer plenty of shows where you would enter a theater, sit down and they would dazzle you with amazing performances and effects. Some of those shows include:
        • Beauty and the Beast
        • The Hunchback of Notre Dame: Festival of Fools
        • The Spirit of Pocahontas
        • Animazement

        and the list goes on. Now we have about nothing. Oh I can't wait until those weekdays in January when literally the only entertainment offerings there will be are the Hillbillies and the maybe a parade. Nothing else....
        All those shows didn't go on at the same time, did they?
        Typically Disney only has maybe 1 or 2 live stage shows at a time (from what I've personally experienced).
        Aladdin is the big live stage show right now.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

          I have never seen any of those. I suppose that I have always been too excited with rides/fireworks/parades/character interaction to want to slow down and catch a performance.

          So, you like Aladdin, but you want more of a variety? I think the stage productions are expensive to produce, so perhaps only one BIG or 2 smaller shows are worked into the budget? Gotta keep the share-holders happy....
          For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
          http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/




          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

            Originally posted by Awesome View Post
            All those shows didn't go on at the same time, did they?
            Typically Disney only has maybe 1 or 2 live stage shows at a time (from what I've personally experienced).
            Aladdin is the big live stage show right now.
            No. Disneyland has just cut the big stage shows completely. Disneyland had a fairly large scale show in Fantasyland at the same time as DCA was playing a show in the Hyperion. The other resorts do so much more, Disneyland has just been treating us this way long enough that we have become a custom to it, sadly.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

              Originally posted by leopardchucks View Post
              So, you like Aladdin, but you want more of a variety? I think the stage productions are expensive to produce, so perhaps only one BIG or 2 smaller shows are worked into the budget?
              Then why can the other resorts do it!?

              It's so frustrating to hear that it is always about the budget, but I can go look at one of the international parks that is run by Disney and see that they are running their parks much better then Disneyland. For example, on a weekday in January, Hong Kong Disneyland (ONE park) will offer more entertainment then both Disneyland and DCA combined.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
                No. Disneyland has just cut the big stage shows completely. Disneyland had a fairly large scale show in Fantasyland at the same time as DCA was playing a show in the Hyperion. The other resorts do so much more, Disneyland has just been treating us this way long enough that we have become a custom to it, sadly.
                I know 1 or 2.
                Aladdin and Snow White being 2 shows.

                I was pretty upset when they got rid of Snow White though. I only saw it once so I don't remember how good it was, but it's still fun to have a big show option in both parks.
                They have 2 perfectly good venues in Disneyland to put on a big show, but they don't. So I'm bugged by that as well.

                It just seems like you want more than just 1 more show added - more than just 2 shows total.
                And I personally don't remember Disneyland ever having more than just 2 big shows at a time in the parks.

                Disneyland does have a ton of other live performances throughout the park that don't have allotted times and aren't on the show schedule.
                They have the other show that happens inside (used to happen outside) the Golden Horseshoe, on top of Billy Hill.
                Main Street has bands, and the barber shop quartet.
                Tiana's Showboat jubilee took the place of the show they used to have in NOS.
                Then they have those other 2 minute show deals just to entertain crowds briefly like the one atop the Golden Horseshoe with the cowboy and a couple of bad guys, as well as the Indiana Jones one in Adventureland.
                I'm just listing the few that I can think of off the top of my head...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                  Originally posted by Awesome View Post
                  It just seems like you want more than just 1 more show added - more than just 2 shows total.
                  And I personally don't remember Disneyland ever having more than just 2 big shows at a time in the parks.

                  Disneyland does have a ton of other live performances throughout the park that don't have allotted times and aren't on the show schedule.
                  They have the other show that happens inside (used to happen outside) the Golden Horseshoe, on top of Billy Hill.
                  Main Street has bands, and the barber shop quartet.
                  Tiana's Showboat jubilee took the place of the show they used to have in NOS.
                  Then they have those other 2 minute show deals just to entertain crowds briefly like the one atop the Golden Horseshoe with the cowboy and a couple of bad guys, as well as the Indiana Jones one in Adventureland.
                  I'm just listing the few that I can think of off the top of my head...
                  The other resorts have just as much street entertainment like Disneyland. They all have Disneyland bands and plenty of other things that Disneyland doesn't even have.

                  If that is where Disneyland's entertainment budget is going, then what a joke the budget must be.

                  I honestly do not feel that there is a proper excuse for Disneyland to say why they are not offering any entertainment.

                  How come Hong Kong Disneyland can run 2 giant live stage shows, a real parade, and a firework show every single day of the week and Disneyland can't seem to run these at all!?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                    Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
                    The other resorts have just as much street entertainment like Disneyland. They all have Disneyland bands and plenty of other things that Disneyland doesn't even have.

                    If that is where Disneyland's entertainment budget is going, then what a joke the budget must be.

                    I honestly do not feel that there is a proper excuse for Disneyland to say why they are not offering any entertainment.

                    How come Hong Kong Disneyland can run 2 giant live stage shows, a real parade, and a firework show every single day of the week and Disneyland can't seem to run these at all!?
                    Well you weren't real specific in your original post about what kind of entertainment you wanted more of at Disneyland.
                    And you did original factor parades out of it.

                    But I do completely agree with you.
                    The current parade at Disneyland sucks and they should be running Aladdin every day of the week.
                    But here's the problem: Disneyland is doing exactly what's making them money.
                    Not enough people go to DCA and watch Aladdin on a week day for it to bring in any sort of profit.
                    And the thing is, while we hate the Princess Faire crap and would love for it to get replaced by a real show. Little girls LOVE that thing. On any given day the line to meet the princesses is HUGE. I'm sure that area brings in a lot of money to Disney.

                    And aren't we supposed to be getting a new parade in 2010 anyway?
                    Then we get a new show in August which I'm sure will be running every day.
                    And despite what your personal opinion is, Fantasmic and World of Color are both "shows".

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                      Originally posted by Awesome View Post
                      t.

                      But I do completely agree with you.
                      The current parade at Disneyland sucks and they should be running Aladdin every day of the week.
                      But here's the problem: Disneyland is doing exactly what's making them money.
                      Not enough people go to DCA and watch Aladdin on a week day for it to bring in any sort of profit.
                      And the thing is, while we hate the Princess Faire crap and would love for it to get replaced by a real show. Little girls LOVE that thing. On any given day the line to meet the princesses is HUGE. I'm sure that area brings in a lot of money to Disney.

                      And aren't we supposed to be getting a new parade in 2010 anyway?
                      Then we get a new show in August which I'm sure will be running every day.
                      And despite what your personal opinion is, Fantasmic and World of Color are both "shows".
                      Aladdin running partially would be okay if it had some sort of replacement but it doesn't. That is a big problem

                      Princess Fantasy Faire is such a joke it isn't even funny. What is wrong with having the Princesses roam Fantasyland. It is much more entertaining that way. Not only do you have shorter lines but the characters are not confined to such a small place and get to run and play around with guests!

                      Yes we are supposed to get a 2010 parade but there are many rumors that it has been canceled. Which in all honesty, I believe it is.

                      Fantasmic! and World of Color are both shows but Fantasmic! only runs weekends, World of Color isn't opened yet and I don't like to think of those as simple shows but the next level up which is "Nighttime Spectacular". But still what are those guest who come on a Wednesday in January suppose to enjoy for entertainment?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                        Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
                        Aladdin running partially would be okay if it had some sort of replacement but it doesn't. That is a big problem

                        Princess Fantasy Faire is such a joke it isn't even funny. What is wrong with having the Princesses roam Fantasyland. It is much more entertaining that way. Not only do you have shorter lines but the characters are not confined to such a small place and get to run and play around with guests!

                        Yes we are supposed to get a 2010 parade but there are many rumors that it has been canceled. Which in all honesty, I believe it is.

                        Fantasmic! and World of Color are both shows but Fantasmic! only runs weekends, World of Color isn't opened yet and I don't like to think of those as simple shows but the next level up which is "Nighttime Spectacular". But still what are those guest who come on a Wednesday in January suppose to enjoy for entertainment?
                        Again, while we think PFF is a stupid waste of time. Little girls are stoked on the idea of going to a Princess Fantasy Faire where they get to meet all of the princesses at once, and then become a princess themselves.
                        The problem is, this could EASILY be relocated somewhere else, it doesn't take up very much space at all.
                        But I think Disney is using this as a way of hiding and using the old abandoned Snow White stage. Right now they have enough to worry about... unfortunately use for that stage probable isn't extremely high on their priorities list... especially when that area is bringing in revenue.

                        That would suck if the parade is cancelled. But the fact that we haven't heard anything about it yet and 2010 is... 2 weeks away... you're probably right. But hey, we can be optimistic, right?

                        Unfortunately, I am one of those Wednesday in January people... literally, I have no school all month so I'll probably be hitting up Disneyland a ton.
                        And yes, it does suck going on those days and not being able to watch Aladdin, Fantasmic, or other weekend shows. And I agree that Disney should offer us more on those days.
                        But I'm sure not enough people go on those days to make running expensive shows like Fantasmic worth it... which sucks.
                        Change is coming... slowly... but it's coming.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                          Well Drawn to the Magic is one of my favorite shows at Disneyland if that's any good for you.

                          Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                            Originally posted by Dreamer20k View Post
                            Well Drawn to the Magic is one of my favorite shows at Disneyland if that's any good for you.
                            This question probably wasn't directed at me as much as it was at Ice...
                            But that's one of my least favorite shows.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                              Originally posted by Awesome View Post
                              This question probably wasn't directed at me as much as it was at Ice...
                              But that's one of my least favorite shows.
                              :O Why?

                              Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                                Originally posted by Dreamer20k View Post
                                :O Why?
                                It's all-around unimpressive. It's a cute idea for kids where the actors draw characters that come to life. The drawings are decent (but what do you expect when they "draw" them on stage so quickly).
                                And it's pretty much everything I hate about what Disney is becoming. High School Musical, Celebrate! Parade... all that. I feel like this show is on the verge of falling into the category.
                                The only real appeal of this show is the meet and greet afterward.
                                That's just my opinion. I feel like Disney could do SO much better.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                                  Originally posted by Awesome View Post
                                  Again, while we think PFF is a stupid waste of time. Little girls are stoked on the idea of going to a Princess Fantasy Faire where they get to meet all of the princesses at once, and then become a princess themselves.
                                  The problem is, this could EASILY be relocated somewhere else, it doesn't take up very much space at all.
                                  But I think Disney is using this as a way of hiding and using the old abandoned Snow White stage. Right now they have enough to worry about... unfortunately use for that stage probable isn't extremely high on their priorities list... especially when that area is bringing in revenue.

                                  That would suck if the parade is cancelled. But the fact that we haven't heard anything about it yet and 2010 is... 2 weeks away... you're probably right. But hey, we can be optimistic, right?

                                  Unfortunately, I am one of those Wednesday in January people... literally, I have no school all month so I'll probably be hitting up Disneyland a ton.
                                  And yes, it does suck going on those days and not being able to watch Aladdin, Fantasmic, or other weekend shows. And I agree that Disney should offer us more on those days.
                                  But I'm sure not enough people go on those days to make running expensive shows like Fantasmic worth it... which sucks.
                                  Change is coming... slowly... but it's coming.
                                  I fully understand the purpose of Princess Fantasy Faire, but it is funny that only the American parks do these meet and greet areas. In all honesty, I think they do it to fill up space. Princess Fantasy Faire can be axed and the Princesses could easily be moved to various locations around Fantasyland which would essientally give more atmosphere. I am not for getting rid of the princesses, but instead getting rid of PFF.

                                  I continuosly hear rumors saying that C!ASP will be transformed into something along the lines of Celebrate Disneyland's 55th Anniversary. This will probably be the only thing we get for the 55th as well. Thanks Disney, I can't believe this is what we have come to expect from you.:thumbdown

                                  I understand that their are times where their aren't enough people to run these shows, but their is something you have to remember. I pay the same amount of money to go to the park on a weekday in early March as I do on a weekend in July. So why should I be offered less if I am paying the same.

                                  Even Tokyo doesn't run their nighttime shows in January and shortens the parks hours, same for Hong Kong Disneyland, but they believe that if you pay x dollars, you should get x amount of entertainment/attractions no matter what day you come. And kudos to them for running their parks the right way.

                                  Originally posted by Dreamer20k View Post
                                  Well Drawn to the Magic is one of my favorite shows at Disneyland if that's any good for you.
                                  Drawn to the Magic takes what 6 performers? It is a very unimpressive show that is more along the lines of a streetmosphere offering. If this is what Disneyland wants to put up against the other shows around the world, what a joke.

                                  Lets compare
                                  [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUklYg55Q6E]YouTube - Drawn to the Magic - One Man's Last Stage -[/ame]
                                  Drawn to the Magic (Disneyland Resort)

                                  [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9ZTgZ0ZMUA&feature=related]YouTube - ???????????????????????????????[/ame]
                                  Minnie Oh! Minnie! (Tokyo Disney Resort)

                                  [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMDYui9DfTg&feature=related]YouTube - Festival of the Lion King #5 ????? ????? Celebration Finale atDisneyland[/ame]
                                  Festival of the Lion King (Hong Kong Disneyland Resort)

                                  [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyqfHCZHID0&feature=related]YouTube - It's Party Time (Opening Edit) - Disneyland Paris[/ame]
                                  It's Party Time....with Mickey and Friends (Disneyland Paris)

                                  Also, take in consideration that Drawn to the Magic does not run every day of the week while the other shows given here do.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                                    Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
                                    I fully understand the purpose of Princess Fantasy Faire, but it is funny that only the American parks do these meet and greet areas. In all honesty, I think they do it to fill up space. Princess Fantasy Faire can be axed and the Princesses could easily be moved to various locations around Fantasyland which would essientally give more atmosphere. I am not for getting rid of the princesses, but instead getting rid of PFF.

                                    I continuosly hear rumors saying that C!ASP will be transformed into something along the lines of Celebrate Disneyland's 55th Anniversary. This will probably be the only thing we get for the 55th as well. Thanks Disney, I can't believe this is what we have come to expect from you.:thumbdown

                                    I understand that their are times where their aren't enough people to run these shows, but their is something you have to remember. I pay the same amount of money to go to the park on a weekday in early March as I do on a weekend in July. So why should I be offered less if I am paying the same.

                                    Even Tokyo doesn't run their nighttime shows in January and shortens the parks hours, same for Hong Kong Disneyland, but they believe that if you pay x dollars, you should get x amount of entertainment/attractions no matter what day you come. And kudos to them for running their parks the right way.


                                    Drawn to the Magic takes what 6 performers? It is a very unimpressive show that is more along the lines of a streetmosphere offering. If this is what Disneyland wants to put up against the other shows around the world, what a joke.

                                    Lets compare
                                    YouTube - Drawn to the Magic - One Man's Last Stage -
                                    Drawn to the Magic (Disneyland Resort)

                                    YouTube - ???????????????????????????????
                                    Minnie Oh! Minnie! (Tokyo Disney Resort)

                                    YouTube - Festival of the Lion King #5 ????? ????? Celebration Finale atDisneyland
                                    Festival of the Lion King (Hong Kong Disneyland Resort)

                                    YouTube - It's Party Time (Opening Edit) - Disneyland Paris
                                    It's Party Time....with Mickey and Friends (Disneyland Paris)

                                    Also, take in consideration that Drawn to the Magic does not run every day of the week while the other shows given here do.
                                    Yes Drawn to the magic needs to be upgraded! But it's still a cute show!

                                    Oh god! Minnie Oh minnie! Shoot me! The show looks horrible! Keep it in Tokyo please!

                                    Lion king is a good show but we really couldn't have a show due to sapce limitations!

                                    It's party time??? Man that looks horible! A whole bunch of fruity guys and mickey twirling a ribon! Oh yeah way more enertaining them CASP! (being sarcastic)

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                                      Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
                                      I fully understand the purpose of Princess Fantasy Faire, but it is funny that only the American parks do these meet and greet areas. In all honesty, I think they do it to fill up space. Princess Fantasy Faire can be axed and the Princesses could easily be moved to various locations around Fantasyland which would essientally give more atmosphere. I am not for getting rid of the princesses, but instead getting rid of PFF.

                                      I continuosly hear rumors saying that C!ASP will be transformed into something along the lines of Celebrate Disneyland's 55th Anniversary. This will probably be the only thing we get for the 55th as well. Thanks Disney, I can't believe this is what we have come to expect from you.:thumbdown

                                      I understand that their are times where their aren't enough people to run these shows, but their is something you have to remember. I pay the same amount of money to go to the park on a weekday in early March as I do on a weekend in July. So why should I be offered less if I am paying the same.

                                      Even Tokyo doesn't run their nighttime shows in January and shortens the parks hours, same for Hong Kong Disneyland, but they believe that if you pay x dollars, you should get x amount of entertainment/attractions no matter what day you come. And kudos to them for running their parks the right way.
                                      That's a very good point.
                                      Personally, I'm an AP holder, so not having a bunch of shows on a Wednesday isn't a big deal for me because the reason I go on those days that will be less crowded is to enjoy the rides.
                                      On a day I go that is crowded (a day like a weekend, which is rare) I usually end up spending a majority of my day relaxing around the parks, enjoying shows, and maybe going on a ride or two that I fastpassed. So the whole no shows on weekdays doesn't personally bug me a lot, but I completely understand where you're coming from.
                                      Also a majority of the people that visit the parks on those weekdays don't have APs, and you're completely right, they're paying full price and deserve everything everyone else does. But unfortunately, Disney is all about money, and if's it not worth it to them, why do it?

                                      But this kinda makes this spiral of less visitors on weekdays I feel like.
                                      Less people so they do less shows, because there are less shows less people visit... and so on.

                                      What I will say is that Tokyo and Hong Kong are very different places. The populations around those areas are so much larger than Southern California... so regardless of the day, the park attendance will be way larger than it will be here and the shows will still pay for themselves.
                                      I have no good excuse for Paris though haha.

                                      Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that Disneyland is being out-shined by its sister parks, and it's a bit of a disappointment.
                                      But what can we honestly do? Complain at City Hall? That won't do any good. All we can hope is that time will fix this.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                                        Originally posted by Dlandclub33 View Post
                                        Yes Drawn to the magic needs to be upgraded! But it's still a cute show!

                                        Oh god! Minnie Oh minnie! Shoot me! The show looks horrible! Keep it in Tokyo please!

                                        Lion king is a good show but we really couldn't have a show due to sapce limitations!

                                        It's party time??? Man that looks horible! A whole bunch of fruity guys and mickey twirling a ribon! Oh yeah way more enertaining them CASP! (being sarcastic)
                                        Drawn to the Magic upgraded would still be low quality. The whole premise of the show is pretty lame.

                                        Minnie Oh! Minnie not good? Even though it has what x4 the performers. Oh sorry, maybe this show is more of your taste considering that it also runs 4-5 times every day as well:
                                        [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWPrCfRUGL8]YouTube - One Man's Dream ?-opening- Mickey and his Friends[/ame]

                                        Lion King is a good show but we can't have it because of space limitations? Oh so, that means that all we can have his Lion King!? Why not make another great musical just like it in Fantasyland?

                                        It's Party Time may be similar to C!ASP, which I will give you is. But see there is one big difference. See Disneyland Paris offers a real parade and It's Party Time so you have a choice that pleases everyone. While we are stuck with just one option.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X