Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we get some real entertainment?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

    Originally posted by Awesome View Post
    But this kinda makes this spiral of less visitors on weekdays I feel like.
    Less people so they do less shows, because there are less shows less people visit... and so on.

    What I will say is that Tokyo and Hong Kong are very different places. The populations around those areas are so much larger than Southern California... so regardless of the day, the park attendance will be way larger than it will be here and the shows will still pay for themselves.
    I have no good excuse for Paris though haha.

    Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that Disneyland is being out-shined by its sister parks, and it's a bit of a disappointment.
    But what can we honestly do? Complain at City Hall? That won't do any good. All we can hope is that time will fix this.
    I know your pain. It theory, it may work in reverse, but that's theory. Disney won't try because they know that our standards have become so low in this area that it doesn't matter. However if we were to throw Disneyland's standards at any one of the international resorts, their would be uproar. What a shame.

    Tokyo and Hong Kong do have higher population densities yet somehow, Disneyland gets more guests. That means that Disneyland must have more tourists and tourists usually do not just come on weekends, I almost feel as if this is more of a reason to go to a weekly schedule where Sun-Sat the schedule is the same!

    Unfortunately we can't do anything besides sit here, and wish and dream for a better Disneyland.

    Comment


    • #22
      Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

      Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
      I know your pain. It theory, it may work in reverse, but that's theory. Disney won't try because they know that our standards have become so low in this area that it doesn't matter. However if we were to throw Disneyland's standards at any one of the international resorts, their would be uproar. What a shame.

      Tokyo and Hong Kong do have higher population densities yet somehow, Disneyland gets more guests. That means that Disneyland must have more tourists and tourists usually do not just come on weekends, I almost feel as if this is more of a reason to go to a weekly schedule where Sun-Sat the schedule is the same!

      Unfortunately we can't do anything besides sit here, and wish and dream for a better Disneyland.
      Man I hate hearing this kind of depressing stuff haha.
      But yeah, all we can do is dream.

      I hate to go back to budget but...
      On a side note, I don't know how accurate this is, but I remember hearing/reading somewhere that Disney has completely separate budgets for different parks, so it's not like they can pull money from other world parks to improve Disneyland.

      Originally posted by Dlandclub33 View Post
      Yes Drawn to the magic needs to be upgraded! But it's still a cute show!

      Oh god! Minnie Oh minnie! Shoot me! The show looks horrible! Keep it in Tokyo please!

      Lion king is a good show but we really couldn't have a show due to sapce limitations!

      It's party time??? Man that looks horible! A whole bunch of fruity guys and mickey twirling a ribon! Oh yeah way more enertaining them CASP! (being sarcastic)
      At least that Paris show looks more like a show. CASP seriously is just 3/4 floats, some "performers" running around in what looks like a very unorganized fassion, and a few randomly chosen Disney characters.
      You can't honestly be defending CASP, can you?

      I think the reason we can't get Lion King is because it's a full broadway show.
      DCA's ticket price is a fraction of what it costs do get the kind of seats people are paying hundreds for in any regular theater.
      I even think it's a stupid idea to have Lion King here. Disney would be throwing their money away. I've seen Lion King, it is an AMAZING show, and it doesn't deserve to be downgraded and throw into the Hyperion.
      What we need is an original show.

      Comment


      • #23
        Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

        I am NOT trying to flame or pick a fight here, just my opinion but it seems the problem is you have "other resort envy." You state MANY times about the "other resorts" having so much more.

        IMO you are comparing apples to oranges. The "other resorts" in most cases are larger than DLR and so they have the ability to offer more of the type of entertainment you appear to be looking for. DLR does pretty well considering the space they have. A large production in DCA, several smaller live venues throughout both parks, parades, fantasmic, fireworks, the new showboat attraction for the new princess, live & interactive "mini-shows" in both parks (the talking garbage can, the army men drum corps, merlin's show, the frontierland show), even live performers in the DTD shopping district. That's actually not bad for a resort with only 2 gates that has expanded to almost the limits of its borders.

        The one thing they could do is get a production back in the fantasyland theater. Other than that they offer quite a bit of live, even interactive, entertainment. I wouldn't expect more than two huge stage productions at a time since they have only two large stage venues (Fantasyland and the Hyperion). "Other resorts" have more room for more venues and/or were designed with more venues, so there really can be no fair comparisen.

        Comment


        • #24
          Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

          Originally posted by leopardchucks View Post
          What? Disneyland is teeming with live entertainment.

          You mean a sit-down stage presentation? Like a play?
          I was going to mention this. It was literally overlapping when I was there on the Friday just after Thanksgiving. I stopped to watch Mary Poppins and the band dancing in front of the castle on my way to watch Tiana's Jubilee. The Billies were in the Golden Horseshoe, the Dans were singing on Main Street, The Disneyland band played for the flag reatreat, and all of this was before the parade even started.

          Howeverrrr, what I really, really, really miss during the Christmas season is the carolers on Main Street. I know they have to stay within a certain budget, but that just seemed like a no brainer to me. How much could they cost overall? And I also miss them at the end of the parade as well.

          Comment


          • #25
            Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

            Originally posted by Mac Daddy View Post
            I was going to mention this. It was literally overlapping when I was there on the Friday just after Thanksgiving. I stopped to watch Mary Poppins and the band dancing in front of the castle on my way to watch Tiana's Jubilee. The Billies were in the Golden Horseshoe, the Dans were singing on Main Street, The Disneyland band played for the flag reatreat, and all of this was before the parade even started.

            Howeverrrr, what I really, really, really miss during the Christmas season is the carolers on Main Street. I know they have to stay within a certain budget, but that just seemed like a no brainer to me. How much could they cost overall? And I also miss them at the end of the parade as well.
            I feel there is a clear line between streetmosphere (street performers) and true entertainment offerings. Streetmosphere just happens and isn't listed. What I am referring to would be listed on this:

            Comment


            • #26
              Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

              Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
              I am NOT trying to flame or pick a fight here, just my opinion but it seems the problem is you have "other resort envy." You state MANY times about the "other resorts" having so much more.

              IMO you are comparing apples to oranges. The "other resorts" in most cases are larger than DLR and so they have the ability to offer more of the type of entertainment you appear to be looking for. DLR does pretty well considering the space they have. A large production in DCA, several smaller live venues throughout both parks, parades, fantasmic, fireworks, the new showboat attraction for the new princess, live & interactive "mini-shows" in both parks (the talking garbage can, the army men drum corps, merlin's show, the frontierland show), even live performers in the DTD shopping district. That's actually not bad for a resort with only 2 gates that has expanded to almost the limits of its borders.

              The one thing they could do is get a production back in the fantasyland theater. Other than that they offer quite a bit of live, even interactive, entertainment. I wouldn't expect more than two huge stage productions at a time since they have only two large stage venues (Fantasyland and the Hyperion). "Other resorts" have more room for more venues and/or were designed with more venues, so there really can be no fair comparisen.

              (havent seen the talking trash can in ages, green army men drum corps isn't going on anymore I don't think, merlin's been gone for a while unfortunately )

              I think more than other park envy it's the fact that Disneyland is the original Disneyland. Not Disneyland Yokyo or anything like that.
              And entertainment-wise, they're making our resort look bad.
              And I sort of agree with that statement.

              Originally posted by Mac Daddy View Post
              I was going to mention this. It was literally overlapping when I was there on the Friday just after Thanksgiving. I stopped to watch Mary Poppins and the band dancing in front of the castle on my way to watch Tiana's Jubilee. The Billies were in the Golden Horseshoe, the Dans were singing on Main Street, The Disneyland band played for the flag reatreat, and all of this was before the parade even started.

              Howeverrrr, what I really, really, really miss during the Christmas season is the carolers on Main Street. I know they have to stay within a certain budget, but that just seemed like a no brainer to me. How much could they cost overall? And I also miss them at the end of the parade as well.

              But yeah this is kind of what we were talking about earlier.
              I suggested all the smaller entertainment we had but we're looking at the bigger picture.
              Big shows, not the little ones.
              I don't mean to be an *** with this statement: but it helps to sometimes at least scan previous posts.

              Comment


              • #27
                Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
                IMO you are comparing apples to oranges. The "other resorts" in most cases are larger than DLR and so they have the ability to offer more of the type of entertainment you appear to be looking for. DLR does pretty well considering the space they have. A large production in DCA, several smaller live venues throughout both parks, parades, fantasmic, fireworks, the new showboat attraction for the new princess, live & interactive "mini-shows" in both parks (the talking garbage can, the army men drum corps, merlin's show, the frontierland show), even live performers in the DTD shopping district. That's actually not bad for a resort with only 2 gates that has expanded to almost the limits of its borders.

                The one thing they could do is get a production back in the fantasyland theater. Other than that they offer quite a bit of live, even interactive, entertainment. I wouldn't expect more than two huge stage productions at a time since they have only two large stage venues (Fantasyland and the Hyperion). "Other resorts" have more room for more venues and/or were designed with more venues, so there really can be no fair comparisen.
                Umm...Hong Kong Disneyland is one park and offers more then both DL and DCA combined. Tokyo Disney Resort has 3 hotels, 2 parks, and a DtD style area, but they are owned by OLC so I will leave them out. DLP has 2 parks just like DLR and their second gate is smaller then DCA. Plus, Disneyland draws in more people then all of these parks, yet they are offering more? Yeah, it is fair to compare them.

                Only two venues? Hyperion and Fantasyland Theater? Thats it!? Disney can't offer anymore? What about the previous Festival of Fools theater, or the small stage in the Backlot. How about utilizing all the empty space in DCA and building another small entertainment venue. Heck add some seats infront of Tomorrowland Terrace.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                  Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
                  Umm...Hong Kong Disneyland is one park and offers more then both DL and DCA combined. Tokyo Disney Resort has 3 hotels, 2 parks, and a DtD style area, but they are owned by OLC so I will leave them out. DLP has 2 parks just like DLR and their second gate is smaller then DCA. Plus, Disneyland draws in more people then all of these parks, yet they are offering more? Yeah, it is fair to compare them.

                  Only two venues? Hyperion and Fantasyland Theater? Thats it!? Disney can't offer anymore? What about the previous Festival of Fools theater, or the small stage in the Backlot. How about utilizing all the empty space in DCA and building another small entertainment venue. Heck add some seats infront of Tomorrowland Terrace.
                  As I said, some of the other (newer) resorts were DESIGNED for that more than DLR was. Exactly what does HKD offer that is more? Do you mean it is better or they actually offer more?

                  You are welcome to your opinion of course and are free to vacation how you want, but I think DLR (except needing a good show to return to Fantasyland Theater) offers a good balance between sit down live entertainment and the other attractions it offers. To be honest, going to DLR on a typical three day or so visit and one or two biger production shows (like Aladdin) is enough for me and my group, especially when we add Fantasmic, the Jubilee, and the fireworks and that's alot of entertainment...add the smaller live and interactive street shows and DLR is full of entertainment alternatives to other rides and attractions.

                  Every land does not need a big venue for live entertainment. DLR is the theme resort it is because it struck a BALANCE between rides and entertainment. IMO that balance is still fairly intact. To each their own.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                    Originally posted by Awesome View Post
                    (havent seen the talking trash can in ages, green army men drum corps isn't going on anymore I don't think, merlin's been gone for a while unfortunately )

                    I think more than other park envy it's the fact that Disneyland is the original Disneyland. Not Disneyland Yokyo or anything like that.
                    And entertainment-wise, they're making our resort look bad.
                    And I sort of agree with that statement.




                    But yeah this is kind of what we were talking about earlier.
                    I suggested all the smaller entertainment we had but we're looking at the bigger picture.
                    Big shows, not the little ones.
                    I don't mean to be an *** with this statement: but it helps to sometimes at least scan previous posts.
                    First...I did scan previous posts, and though you and the OP started your own central conversation about bigger shows, the OP's original statement asked about "other entertainment" that was aside from the attractions he listed. I was listing various other types of live shows as they ALL are part of the balance and even theme of the resort.

                    I haven't been to see Merlin's show in a bit so I don't know about him not doing it anymore as you claim. The Green Army man drum corpes was doing shows just outside of Ariel's Grotto in DCA about once an hour just a month ago when I went the week of Thanksgiving.

                    The fact that DL is the first actually is part of my point. As the first, and definately not the biggest resort, it was not designed for as many huge productions that the OP is apparently craving. Other resorts are bigger and so they naturally can offer "more" (though I'd bet it is proportional to DLR) and some of the others that are the same size or smaller than DLR are newer and could be designed for doing more of that kind of entertainment from the get go. DLR was not designed that way and their space is now limited.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                      Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
                      The fact that DL is the first actually is part of my point. As the first, and definately not the biggest resort, it was not designed for as many huge productions that the OP is apparently craving. Other resorts are bigger and so they naturally can offer "more" (though I'd bet it is proportional to DLR) and some of the others that are the same size or smaller than DLR are newer and could be designed for doing more of that kind of entertainment from the get go. DLR was not designed that way and their space is now limited.
                      You are contradicting yourself. You are saying the other resorts offer more because they can. Well so can Disneyland by utilizing the Fantasyland Theater, Festival of Fools theater and plenty of other dead spots in DCA but they don't. They aren't living up to anywhere near their potential.

                      Comment


                      • #31
                        Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                        Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
                        You are contradicting yourself. You are saying the other resorts offer more because they can. Well so can Disneyland by utilizing the Fantasyland Theater, Festival of Fools theater and plenty of other dead spots in DCA but they don't. They aren't living up to anywhere near their potential.
                        I am not contradicting myself at all. Again, you are welcome to your opinion, mine is different.

                        I agree with Fantasyland theater not being utilized properly and have said so in almost every post. Festival of Fools is being utilized for live entertainment, just not the kind YOU apparently consider worthy of the park. These other "dead spots" you fail to detail sounds more like we'd end up with a cluttered park full of big productions. That doesn't sound like the kind of balanced attractions that made DL the great place it is.

                        I also note you ignored my question to list the "more" you keep waving like a flag that HKD and other resorts close to the same size of DLR supposedly have. How many big production entertainment shows are at those parks? What are they?

                        Comment


                        • #32
                          Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                          HKDL might have more entertainment, but it's only to make up for the lack of attractions they have. DLR has a nice balance between attractions and entertainment. Yes, I do believe Disneyland could afford to bump up the entertainment a little by adding a show to the FLT.

                          Comment


                          • #33
                            Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                            well this is what we need:

                            we need someone that knows someone that is high up in the corporation. then we need to brainwash them and then we can make them do whatever we want, such as having them bring back some "real entertainment" (and the peoplemover while we're at it, although i don't get it)
                            Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
                            You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
                            Originally posted by penguinsoda

                            Comment


                            • #34
                              Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                              The entertainment really does stink at Disneyland, and that's honesty. Don't get me wrong, I prefer it over WDW but they really need to bring in the attendance with some sort of show.
                              California Screamin' Ride Count: 111





                              Comment


                              • #35
                                Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                                Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
                                Excluding the parade, fireworks, and Fantasmic!, what does Disneyland have to offer in terms of entertainment?
                                I agree fully and I hate the fact that Disney's direction seems to be going away from live performance in favor of character photo-ops. Aladdin becomes Toy Story. Attractions become Character Meetups. Seriously, does the Princess Faire really need to be held in a theater?!?!?

                                Pixie forest, Pixar Place, Front of Epcot, Animation Studio, An entire new land in Magic Kingdom... Instead of getting in a queue for rides or shows they have us waiting in line for an hour just to meet actors in front of a drawing of a castle when the real castle is 100 ft away.

                                Don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of pictures but I just don't find these staged backgrounds to be as memorable as just walking in the park and saying "HEY! There's Christmas Mickey! Lets get a pic!".

                                Comment


                                • #36
                                  Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                                  Well if u wanna see a play go to DCA DL has street shows and the juibilee
                                  So after 2 full days in a row of walking around disneyland and a four hour practice, I finally understand why my doctor told me to take it easy on my knee I still cant wait to do it again

                                  AEROSMITH FTWW!

                                  Comment


                                  • #37
                                    Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                                    Originally posted by Anonymouse View Post
                                    I agree fully and I hate the fact that Disney's direction seems to be going away from live performance in favor of character photo-ops. Aladdin becomes Toy Story. Attractions become Character Meetups. Seriously, does the Princess Faire really need to be held in a theater?!?!?
                                    True that. Why don't they move Princess Faire to that area near small world where they put the villains during Halloween? I mean they usually have like only 4 princesses or so at a time right? I mean sure it will be a little more crowded there put the use of space seems like it could be utilized better.

                                    Comment


                                    • #38
                                      Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                                      Originally posted by Brer Mole View Post
                                      True that. Why don't they move Princess Faire to that area near small world where they put the villains during Halloween? I mean they usually have like only 4 princesses or so at a time right? I mean sure it will be a little more crowded there put the use of space seems like it could be utilized better.
                                      Just wondering? Why do they need their own area!? Let them roam freely. The American resorts are the only ones that use these 'Meet n' Greet Areas' The international resorts have equal, if not more characters, and instead of having a dozen CM's with each character, each character is allowed to roam freely and interact with guests instead of just becoming a photo op.

                                      It sucks that people are like "well there is the Jubilee and Aladdin" when if this was 15 years ago, that would have been a crime on Disneyland. Disney has just lowered their standard slowly so that we have become used to substandard things compared to Disneyland's past and the other resorts. Its pathetic.

                                      Comment


                                      • #39
                                        Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                                        All that Disneyland Park needs now is a good parade that isn't a crappy street show, a stage show in Fantasyland Theatre, and to keep Tiana's Showboat Jubilee for Summer.
                                        Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
                                        "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
                                        -August 1st 2010

                                        And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
                                        -August 2nd 2010

                                        Comment


                                        • #40
                                          Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

                                          And again we ask, list this supposed plethora of shows at the other resorts. I bet if you cut out the "Street Atmosphere" stuff it won't come out to a significantly greater number.

                                          Comment

                                          Get Away Today Footer

                                          Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X