X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
    It sucks that people are like "well there is the Jubilee and Aladdin" when if this was 15 years ago, that would have been a crime on Disneyland. Disney has just lowered their standard slowly so that we have become used to substandard things compared to Disneyland's past and the other resorts. Its pathetic.
    I agree. I think its shameful that some people try to justify Disney in every way possible, even though twenty years ago if this were to have happen, people would be super upset.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

Comment

Just wondering? Why do they need their own area!? Let them roam freely. The American resorts are the only ones that use these 'Meet n' Greet Areas' The international resorts have equal, if not more characters, and instead of having a dozen CM's with each character, each character is allowed to roam freely and interact with guests instead of just becoming a photo op.
      I'm not really sure why they made this transition to certain set up points. Isn't there like a merchandise area right next to the Meet n Greet Areas? (Pixie Hollow, Princess Faire)

Comment

Ok. Here is MY opinion:

ITS ALL ABOUT THE BUDGET! Disney makes dollars, not sense! Paying Equity actors and union technicians is not a inexpensive thing. I understand where you are coming from, I love me a good stage show! It think the Aladdin show is beautiful. I loved every show that was produced in the Fantasyland Theatre, all the way back to Plane Crazy! I ADORED the Hunchback show! Made me feel like a groundling at the Globe! and I like all the streetmosphere. I liked Drawn to the Magic better when it was a street show, cause it felt almost spontaneous! like musicals just happen in real life (my dream! ) And note, I AM COMPLETELY AGAINST A TOY STORY MUSICAL!

THe Disneyland Resort's priorities lie elsewhere now. They are undertaking a HUGE refurb of DCA, because people complained about the park! They are going to be giving guests "sure things" like PFF, where they know they can bring the dough in to fund the refurb.

Another thing to take into consideration is that Disneyland is pretty much landlocked. They dont have the space, or the resources now, to build a new theatre space. They are tearing up a parking lot to build Carsland, which is causing parking headaches as it is! (i dont know about you, but I have parked at all they alternative satalitte (sp) lots now, and it is very frustrating!)

I feel when it comes to Disneyland, everybody wants their cake and demands to eat it too!
        The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

Walt Disney World College Program, Spring 2005, Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
          I agree with Fantasyland theater not being utilized properly and have said so in almost every post. Festival of Fools is being utilized for live entertainment, just not the kind YOU apparently consider worthy of the park. These other "dead spots" you fail to detail sounds more like we'd end up with a cluttered park full of big productions. That doesn't sound like the kind of balanced attractions that made DL the great place it is.
          Sorry about assuming you didn't scan the posts earlier. I only assumed because you asked a question I had asked earlier.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe you have the Festival of Fools area confused with something else...
          Because that area is completely closed off to the public now.
          It's the area back by the Celebration Round-Up deal, and the entire show area itself is fenced off.
          Last time I recall them using that area for, besides Festival of Fools, was like Key Club or group choir award things with a bunch of schools.
          Not exactly a public show.
          So really there are 2 completely vacant venues for them to put large shows in.

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRmxrcdE4KU"]YouTube - Jonny May plays Cruella DeVille @ disneyland[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b2AWwtIwo0"]YouTube - The Bootstrappers with The Time Keeper,string fellow , v v, and Smithy[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43TVYA3IVok"]YouTube - GOOFY DANCING CRAZY WITH THE DISNEYLAND BAND SHOT IN HD[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQl0fcFP0cA"]YouTube - Sandman - Disneyland Barbershop Quartet[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSWh7_nw2BQ"]YouTube - Disneyland Trash Can Trio[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPq81lpUH2k"]YouTube - Disneyland Bayou Brass Jazz Band Daytime CLIP 1 06/11/06[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h9bvNnzJ94"]YouTube - PEARLY BAND AT DISNEYLAND SHOT IN HD (PART 1)[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by DubiousEndeavors View Post
              THe Disneyland Resort's priorities lie elsewhere now. They are undertaking a HUGE refurb of DCA, because people complained about the park! They are going to be giving guests "sure things" like PFF, where they know they can bring the dough in to fund the refurb.

Another thing to take into consideration is that Disneyland is pretty much landlocked. They dont have the space, or the resources now, to build a new theatre space. They are tearing up a parking lot to build Carsland, which is causing parking headaches as it is! (i dont know about you, but I have parked at all they alternative satalitte (sp) lots now, and it is very frustrating!)

I feel when it comes to Disneyland, everybody wants their cake and demands to eat it too!
              Umm...just wondering whose fault is DCA? Oh I wonder...yeah they dug them self into a hole and now are using that as an excuse for why they are lowering other things.

Parking is again, an issue they can but have yet to solve.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                Videos
                That's the same argument I made, minus the videos.
                But then we established that we're talking more along the lines of big shows like all the ones they have right now... Aladdin, Fantasmic, and the temporary Tiana's Showboat Jubilee. (my standards for big shows anyway)

I agree that Disney has a ton of street performers and smaller non-scheduled shows... but that's not what the issue is.

Comment

Just wondering? Why do they need their own area!? Let them roam freely. The American resorts are the only ones that use these 'Meet n' Greet Areas' The international resorts have equal, if not more characters, and instead of having a dozen CM's with each character, each character is allowed to roam freely and interact with guests instead of just becoming a photo op.

It sucks that people are like "well there is the Jubilee and Aladdin" when if this was 15 years ago, that would have been a crime on Disneyland. Disney has just lowered their standard slowly so that we have become used to substandard things compared to Disneyland's past and the other resorts. Its pathetic.
                  As to your first part, I agree. The characters, especially the princesses should go back to roaming meet and greets.

As to your 2nd paragraph I have to ask...what were the the huge number of shows 15 years ago? I haven't seen yopu bother to list all these "big shows" you keep saying the "other parks" have that outnumber DLR so I don't expect you to answer this one either.

Seriously you have been ranting about "all" the shows these other parks parks, but have yet to actually name these big shows. Now you claim things were different 15 years ago. Really? How so? List all the "big shows" that ran at the same time 15 to 20 years ago.

Bottom line for my opinion anyway, except for the misuse of Fantasyland Theater, DLR has a very good and proportional amount of various levels of live entertainment through out. Craming more "big shows" into every corner that doesn't have something in it already seems to be nothing but over kill and would, IMO, serve to unbalance the resort as far as attractions go.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome View Post
                    Sorry about assuming you didn't scan the posts earlier. I only assumed because you asked a question I had asked earlier.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe you have the Festival of Fools area confused with something else...
                    It's the area back by the Celebration Round-Up deal, and the entire show area itself is fenced off.
                    Last time I recall them using that area for, besides Festival of Fools, was like Key Club or group choir award things with a bunch of schools.
                    Not exactly a public show.
                    So really there are 2 completely vacant venues for them to put large shows in.
                    Back when I was there for the choir awards like 4 years ago, I'm pretty sure it was not the Festival of Fools area. It was close to it in that general Big Thunder Ranch area, but if I remember correctly it was just like a typical stage area and then just a large open space. But you entered through Big Thunder Ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome View Post

I wont corract ya, 'cause you weren't wrong. In this case I was indeed thinking of a another area. Yes, the old FoF stage area could be a spot for ONE more large production if Disney wanted to invest the money in doing one.

I wonder however. DLR is primarily a theme park. The variety in it is what made it great as I have said before, but it jst seems that the majority of folks going to the park do not want to spend a large chunk of their time standing in line for and then sitting and watching a stage production. Offering a proportional amount of that kind of entertainment is great. Too much of it seems like it would be a waste. That's the balance part I keep mentioning.

Obviously there will be some who will want more than that (our OP obviously is one) but Disney, the business, can not cater to the small factions. They have to look at the big picture. I have no problem with the OP having the opinion they do, they are welcome to it as i have said already. My real issue is that the OP is supporting their opinion with statements about DL's past years and the "other parks" without presenting any real proof other than his opinion on it.

To my recollection, DL always had a good balance. A few large stage productions offered, a medium amount of smaller venue stuff (billy hill, ect), and a large amount of street performances. Looking at the resort today, we pretty much have that. From what I have heard and read, the other Disney resorts follow a similar formula with minor fluctuation.

Comment

Originally posted by Brer Mole View Post
                        Back when I was there for the choir awards like 4 years ago, I'm pretty sure it was not the Festival of Fools area. It was close to it in that general Big Thunder Ranch area, but if I remember correctly it was just like a typical stage area and then just a large open space. But you entered through Big Thunder Ranch.
                        Yeah you're right, that's what it was. I knew it was somewhere around there...
                        But the only reinforces the point that the Festival of Fools area is being used for absolutely nothing.

Comment

I wont corract ya, 'cause you weren't wrong. In this case I was indeed thinking of a another area. Yes, the old FoF stage area could be a spot for ONE more large production if Disney wanted to invest the money in doing one.

I wonder however. DLR is primarily a theme park. The variety in it is what made it great as I have said before, but it jst seems that the majority of folks going to the park do not want to spend a large chunk of their time standing in line for and then sitting and watching a stage production. Offering a proportional amount of that kind of entertainment is great. Too much of it seems like it would be a waste. That's the balance part I keep mentioning.

Obviously there will be some who will want more than that (our OP obviously is one) but Disney, the business, can not cater to the small factions. They have to look at the big picture. I have no problem with the OP having the opinion they do, they are welcome to it as i have said already. My real issue is that the OP is supporting their opinion with statements about DL's past years and the "other parks" without presenting any real proof other than his opinion on it.

To my recollection, DL always had a good balance. A few large stage productions offered, a medium amount of smaller venue stuff (billy hill, ect), and a large amount of street performances. Looking at the resort today, we pretty much have that. From what I have heard and read, the other Disney resorts follow a similar formula with minor fluctuation.
                          I think Walt's original plan when opening the park was for it to be a park that was different than the rest. It had variety including small shows, large, shows, street performers, AND rides.
                          Like you said, going back through Disney history I'm pretty sure we did indeed have all of those.
                          However, looking at those categories in the park today... the "large stage productions" area is extremely weak.
                          "A few large stage productions" does not count as Aladdin.
                          You can't count Tiana's Showboat Jubilee because that'll be gone in a couple of weeks... and Fantasmic will be gone in a couple of months until late spring/summer.
                          That will leave us with one large show... which is only open on weekends.

So really, keeping with the standard of "a few large shows" we are definitely below standards.

Comment

The majority of the visitors would not like to see the show? Oh oh course not. That is just why Aladdin has been filling up it's theater for nearly 6 years now. And why people wait 4+ hours for the past 17 years to watch Fantasmic. Of course their wouldn't be enough people...

I have already given most of my proof scattered throughout the thread. But basically in 1996 Disneyland has the Festival of Fools, Spirit of Pocahontas, Electrical Parade, Fireworks, Fantasmic!, street performers, the Lion King Parade, and Tomorrowland Terrace offerings.

In the International area, take a look at Tokyo DisneySea's schedule for a weekday in January which mind you is in the resort's two month off season. You might argue that this is OLC which I suppose is fair, Hong Kong Disneyland will offer 4 showings Lion King, 5 showings of Golden Mickeys, 3 showings of High School Musical, a full parade, and fireworks on a weekday in January. Disneyland Paris will run their parade, 4 showings of It's Party Time, 4 showings of Stitch's dance show, and showings of Mickey's Winter Wonderland. On a weekday in January at the Disneyland Resort, the park will offer....

Comment

^Yet again you fail to mention how HKDL has far less attractions then DL.

I must say that I do miss the days of roaming around characters, but guest are not the same as they use to be. Characters cannot roam freely anymore without incidents of being grabbed, punched, bombarded, or fights breaking out between guest. The average park guest mentality is to see the character get the picture and autograph and move on. You can disagree with this if you'd like, but spend a day watching the Princesses do there meet and greets and you can see the princess trying to talk to the child with the parent just yelling "look at me! look at me! just take a picture" Sadly guest have made it hard to have Princesses as roam around characters.

Comment

Originally posted by RescueTheDay View Post
                                ^Yet again you fail to mention how HKDL has far less attractions then DL.
                                While yes HKDL's ratio should be a bit higher then a park with more attraction's when a resort expands, it should offer more, not dilute its offerings. That is what the Disneyland Resort did with entertainment when it brought in DCA. It simply reorganized its offerings while adding little. As appose to the correct way to do it (Tokyo Disney Resort) that when it expanded, it did not affect the offerings in Tokyo Disneyland but only added more offerings in Tokyo DisneySea. Hong Kong Disneyland will grow, and as it does, so should it's entertainment offeirngs.

Comment

The majority of the visitors would not like to see the show? Oh oh course not. That is just why Aladdin has been filling up it's theater for nearly 6 years now. And why people wait 4+ hours for the past 17 years to watch Fantasmic. Of course their wouldn't be enough people.......
                                  Yes that ONE show is a constant draw so the logic is many more shows will draw just as much. Yeah. Great logic, but it has been disproved many times in various venues and fields of entertainment. More does not equal better. BALANCE does, but you obviously aren't interrested in that.

I have already given most of my proof scattered throughout the thread. But basically in 1996 Disneyland has the Festival of Fools, Spirit of Pocahontas, Electrical Parade, Fireworks, Fantasmic!, street performers, the Lion King Parade, and Tomorrowland Terrace offerings. ....
                                  Festival of fools-gone...Spirit of Pocahontus-gone but we now have a Jubilee for the newest princess, Electric parade-moved to DCA, Fireworks-still done, Fantasmic!-still done, Street performers-still done, Lion King parade-gone but now between the two parks there are several parades from a Pixar specific one in DCA to a seasonal one that shows various characters in DL, "Tomorrowland Terrace offerings would be what? The Jedi Academy is currently there during most days and in the summer evenings (this last summer when I was there for 6 days) there is live music. Yeah, gosh, so much has been lost there. It appears that the proble isn't that there is less offered by much at all...just that YOU personally don't like what is there now compared to what was there 10 or more years ago.

In the International area, take a look at Tokyo DisneySea's schedule for a weekday in January which mind you is in the resort's two month off season. You might argue that this is OLC which I suppose is fair, Hong Kong Disneyland will offer 4 showings Lion King, 5 showings of Golden Mickeys, 3 showings of High School Musical, a full parade, and fireworks on a weekday in January. Disneyland Paris will run their parade, 4 showings of It's Party Time, 4 showings of Stitch's dance show, and showings of Mickey's Winter Wonderland. On a weekday in January at the Disneyland Resort, the park will offer....
                                  Looking at the numbers it appears the only thing DL needs to add is a large production in the fantasyland theater to run 3-4 times a day and it is comparable to all of the resorts on your list. Again the issue doesn't appear to be how much but WHAT DL has. You are welcome to that opinion, but it looks more based on your personal interests rather than any actual numbers.

Comment

Yes that ONE show is a constant draw so the logic is many more shows will draw just as much. Yeah. Great logic, but it has been disproved many times in various venues and fields of entertainment. More does not equal better. BALANCE does, but you obviously aren't interrested in that.

Festival of fools-gone...Spirit of Pocahontus-gone but we now have a Jubilee for the newest princess, Electric parade-moved to DCA, Fireworks-still done, Fantasmic!-still done, Street performers-still done, Lion King parade-gone but now between the two parks there are several parades from a Pixar specific one in DCA to a seasonal one that shows various characters in DL, "Tomorrowland Terrace offerings would be what? The Jedi Academy is currently there during most days and in the summer evenings (this last summer when I was there for 6 days) there is live music. Yeah, gosh, so much has been lost there. It appears that the proble isn't that there is less offered by much at all...just that YOU personally don't like what is there now compared to what was there 10 or more years ago.

Looking at the numbers it appears the only thing DL needs to add is a large production in the fantasyland theater to run 3-4 times a day and it is comparable to all of the resorts on your list. Again the issue doesn't appear to be how much but WHAT DL has. You are welcome to that opinion, but it looks more based on your personal interests rather than any actual numbers.
                                    Alright and with your logic, if we build one ride in each area of Disneyland, each ride will be more popular then if we were to have numerous rides in each land, correct? Just pondering your train of thought....

You are comparing two parks in 2009/2010 to one park in 1995. And yet 1995 still appears to win. Now isn't that a joke! I am referring more too when we hit January, those guests who visit the park on say a Wednesday will get to experience...what? Two, maybe three offerings between two parks. Yeah, that's it.

I am confused? My numbers speak for themselves. And yet you are calling my hard core facts opinions. Once again, go look at those numbers please.

Comment

No. Disneyland has just cut the big stage shows completely. Disneyland had a fairly large scale show in Fantasyland at the same time as DCA was playing a show in the Hyperion. The other resorts do so much more, Disneyland has just been treating us this way long enough that we have become a custom to it, sadly.
                                      He's right.
                                      There was more shows.
                                      They also "eat" a lot of ppl.
                                      The Fantasyland theatre is no more.
                                      American Sings/Carousel of Progress etc is gone
                                      HiSTA is a joke
                                      The Oasis (is there even shows there?)
                                      Circle Vision (now buzz)
                                      Anything still go on over at Carnation Plaza?
                                      Quote by Al:
                                      To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                                      -Al Lutz

Comment

Umm...Hong Kong Disneyland is one park and offers more then both DL and DCA combined. Tokyo Disney Resort has 3 hotels, 2 parks, and a DtD style area, but they are owned by OLC so I will leave them out. DLP has 2 parks just like DLR and their second gate is smaller then DCA. Plus, Disneyland draws in more people then all of these parks, yet they are offering more? Yeah, it is fair to compare them.

Only two venues? Hyperion and Fantasyland Theater? Thats it!? Disney can't offer anymore? What about the previous Festival of Fools theater, or the small stage in the Backlot. How about utilizing all the empty space in DCA and building another small entertainment venue. Heck add some seats infront of Tomorrowland Terrace.
                                        And the reason that they offer more is

1. Bigger Parks and more room to expand
                                        2. Exactly. Disneyland does get more visitors and DLP doesn't making them having to offer more to attract visitors to make it worth the trip there.

Just saying....

I am not disagreeing with you at all. Because I completely agree. Only shows I watch now are Fantasmic!, Tiana's Showboat, DEP, Fireworks, and CFP.

But most of those aren't " plays ". I dont watch Aladdin anymore because I got bored. Also I wish they used the Fantasyland theatre for a show. I used to go there all the time. I remember watching.... Cinderella or Beauty and the Beast there. I cant remember. Id have to see various sets at different times.

~babs

Thank you Solitary!

Comment

Originally posted by Babs09 View Post
                                          And the reason that they offer more is

1. Bigger Parks and more room to expand
                                          2. Exactly. Disneyland does get more visitors and DLP doesn't making them having to offer more to attract visitors to make it worth the trip there.
                                          1. This is understandable, but Disneyland Resort as a whole isn't even trying. They have so much potential areas that they could use but they don't.
                                          2. This attitude sucks, but is basically the truth. Disneyland has realized that they can give out such low quality products and people will still come that they continue to pump out low quality.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X