• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ice101
    Banned User
    • Aug 2008

Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

Originally posted by scorsese View Post
    Why does WoC get pushed aside in the first place? When DLR had shows in the Fantasyland Theatre and the Hyperion, they didn't have the Jubilee. Seems just as balanced to me now as it ever was. That's all I'm saying. Like I said, I don't understand why the WoC show won't count.
    Wait so when we add a second park we are just suppose to move around what we already offer and not offer more?

Comment

• Awesome
      Wilderness Explorer
      • Oct 2009

Why does WoC get pushed aside in the first place? When DLR had shows in the Fantasyland Theatre and the Hyperion, they didn't have the Jubilee, only Fantasmic for Mark Twain productions. Seems just as balanced to me now as it ever was. That's all I'm saying.
      Tiana's Showboat Jubilee doesn't have the feeling of watching a nice sit down show.
      Don't get me wrong, I love Tiana's Showboat Jubilee... it's a great new show that does the movie justice...
      However, it's only 15 minutes long. That hardly qualifies as a big show.. it's a short crowd-pleaser.

Also, come February, we'll be left with only one show: Aladdin. Which is only on weekends.
      So if anyone goes to the park on Monday-Wednesday, they have no options for watching a big show. None.
      With Aladdin being the only big show (while being located at DCA), Disneyland will have absolutely no big shows 7 days a week.
      Last edited by Awesome; 12-22-2009, 02:56 PM.

Comment

• Ice101
        Banned User
        • Aug 2008

Why does WoC get pushed aside in the first place? When DLR had shows in the Fantasyland Theatre and the Hyperion, they didn't have the Jubilee. Seems just as balanced to me now as it ever was. That's all I'm saying. Like I said, I don't understand why the WoC show won't count.
        Wait so when we add a second park we are just suppose to move around what we already offer and not offer more? You can't think of DL and DCA as a unit, they are two seperate parks. Disneyland should not stop what it offers because of DCA. Go look at Tokyo Disney Resort's schedule for both parks. Notice how each park has a load of entertainment, that is how it should be done. None of those shows are small scale either, the smallest show being on the same level, if not higher, then Jubilee.

Comment

• scorsese
          Resident DL'er
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
          Wait so when we add a second park we are just suppose to move around what we already offer and not offer more?
          Yeah, fair enough. But let's face it, ticket prices increase every year and DCA has been a big disappointment in general. With more square footage now than ever before for Disney property in Anaheim, they aren't going to run tons of live stage shows if there aren't people to fill the seats... I guess that's just how they operate. Who knows, I'm sure the thought processes are more complex than they seem at first glance on how they decide these things. Or maybe they just figure the kids want to meet the princesses more than see a show there.

And I think the Tokyo resorts and Paris just have a lot higher standards. Maybe you're right after all. I mean look at DisneySea. Have we ever had anything that elaborate here?
          Last edited by scorsese; 12-22-2009, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• Goofy Daddy
            Knight that says Nee!!
            • Dec 2006

Wait so when we add a second park we are just suppose to move around what we already offer and not offer more? You can't think of DL and DCA as a unit, they are two seperate parks. Disneyland should not stop what it offers because of DCA. Go look at Tokyo Disney Resort's schedule for both parks. Notice how each park has a load of entertainment, that is how it should be done. None of those shows are small scale either, the smallest show being on the same level, if not higher, then Jubilee.
            Now see...we had actually met in the middle and were agreeing on stuff and now you throw that out there. ( I sigh heavily). Seperate parks they may be but they are ONE RESORT DESTINATION. Their entertainment schedules, should compliment each other as best as it is possible to. It is a 5-10 minute walk from part of one park to the other park.

Both parks have a "load" of entertainment in my opinion. Perhaps our definition of "load" is not the same. Getting something good back into Fantasyland Theater would be great, and maybe another mid-sized production of some sort somewhere in Tomorrowland would be all that is needed to balance things out and serve the whole resort well.

Comment

• Awesome
              Wilderness Explorer
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
              Now see...we had actually met in the middle and were agreeing on stuff and now you throw that out there. ( I sigh heavily). Seperate parks they may be but they are ONE RESORT DESTINATION. Their entertainment schedules, should compliment each other as best as it is possible to. It is a 5-10 minute walk from part of one park to the other park.

Both parks have a "load" of entertainment in my opinion. Perhaps our definition of "load" is not the same. Getting something good back into Fantasyland Theater would be great, and maybe another mid-sized production of some sort somewhere in Tomorrowland would be all that is needed to balance things out and serve the whole resort well.
              Not everyone who visits DLR is an AP holder or buys a park hopper ticket.
              In fact most people I personally know only buy a single park pass for a day when they go to Disneyland.
              If they buy a ticket to Disneyland, having Aladdin and WOC at DCA won't help them.
              Each park should offer enough as a stand-alone park.

Like you said before...
              They must cater to the average (read majority) visitor.
              And I feel like the average visitor doesn't attend both parks.
              Therefore splitting up the entertainment between parks would be unfair to the average visitor who may only attend one park.
              Last edited by Awesome; 12-22-2009, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• DLFreak71
                ---------------
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Awesome View Post
                Not everyone who visits DLR is an AP holder or buys a park hopper ticket.
                In fact most people I personally know only buy a single park pass for a day when they go to Disneyland.
                If they buy a ticket to Disneyland, having Aladdin and WOC at DCA won't help them.
                Each park should offer enough as a stand-alone park.

Like you said before...

Therefore splitting up the entertainment between parks would be unfair to the average visitor who may only attend one park.
                This is true.
                We took a group in Aug.
                Most of them choose only tickets for D-land, not DCA.
                Maybe once DCA gets on its feet, ppl will be more willing to buy multi park ticket (most families see D-land family vs DCA---from what I've heard and seen).
                Quote by Al:
                To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                -Al Lutz

Comment

• Ice101
                  Banned User
                  • Aug 2008

Tokyo Disney has parks that are very close to each other but to ensure that guests go to the 2nd gate and stay there, they do not offer 1 or 2 day park hoppers. In order to get a park hopper you must buy a 3 or 4 day ticket and only on your 3rd and 4th day will you be allowed to park hop. Why? Because each park is stand alone and they want you discover the park fully. That is the way to do it, have each park be seperate, and stand alone. They correspond with each other but are by no means a unit. This is how the Disneyland Resort should be.

Comment

• DLFreak71
                    ---------------
                    • Sep 2005

Tokyo Disney has parks that are very close to each other but to ensure that guests go to the 2nd gate and stay there, they do not offer 1 or 2 day park hoppers. In order to get a park hopper you must buy a 3 or 4 day ticket and only on your 3rd and 4th day will you be allowed to park hop. Why? Because each park is stand alone and they want you discover the park fully. That is the way to do it, have each park be seperate, and stand alone. They correspond with each other but are by no means a unit. This is how the Disneyland Resort should be.
                    I agree they should be able to stand alone.
                    But w/ the current state of DCA, I can't see too many ppl putting more money into tickets just so they can stay an extra day, Do DCA and run over to D-land to finish the remainder of the day that DCA couldn't offer.
                    D-land use to stand alone
                    DCA never has been able to (my opinion)
                    Quote by Al:
                    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                    -Al Lutz

Comment

• Goofy Daddy
                      Knight that says Nee!!
                      • Dec 2006

Key phrase bolded.

As far as I have heard, the average DLR visitor (and the demographic they aim for in their ad campaigns seems to confirm it) is a family of 3-5 people who come for between 3 days up to 5 days and are there for both parks.

I have no doubt they get a fair amount of local attendees who do a quick 1 day trip into one park, but that is not their majority visitor nor the type they aim their ads at.

Also the new ability to buy a local AP on monthly payments will probably eventually screw up THAT demographic.
                      Last edited by Goofy Daddy; 12-23-2009, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• Goofy Daddy
                        Knight that says Nee!!
                        • Dec 2006

We are not talking about Tokyo Disney...apples and oranges again. Currently the DLR could not keep 2 gates open using a plan as outlined above. DLR is not the "other resorts" nor can it be, for now, operate like they can for various reasons. Point at them all you want. It may become a valid point in the future (fingers crossed) if the 2nd gate becomes able to truly stand on its own and perhaps get toward a 3rd gate. Until that time, it is a unique resort among the Dsiney resorts and even wishin upon a star wont change that. Comparing it to "other resorts" is a useless exorcise. Everything from the geography, cultural motivations, and local demographics are different from the other resorts so it is (forgive me) rather nieve to keep pointing at those other resorts and saying "if they can do it there, then they can do it at DLR"...it is not that simple.

Comment

• Awesome
                          Wilderness Explorer
                          • Oct 2009

Key phrase bolded.

As far as I have heard, the average DLR visitor (and the demographic they aim for in their ad campaigns seems to confirm it) is a family of 3-5 people who come for between 3 days up to 5 days and are there for both parks.

I have no doubt they get a fair amount of local attendees who do a quick 1 day trip into one park, but that is not their majority visitor nor the type they aim their ads at.

Also the new ability to buy a local AP on monthly payments will probably eventually screw up THAT demographic.
                          That's exactly why I said "I feel"
                          I didn't know any actual statistics or where to find surveys that show what the most common visitors of the park really are.

Do you have any actual proof of this?
                          I have scouted all over the internet and haven't found anything.
                          I mean I wouldn't doubt that it's correct, but it's just nice to know.

Comment

• Goofy Daddy
                            Knight that says Nee!!
                            • Dec 2006

That's exactly why I said "I feel"
                            I didn't know any actual statistics or where to find surveys that show what the most common visitors of the park really are.

Do you have any actual proof of this?
                            I have scouted all over the internet and haven't found anything.
                            I mean I wouldn't doubt that it's correct, but it's just nice to know.
                            Proof???? Do you know who I am???

Er..uh...(checks pockets)...I had it here somewhere...(looks under keyboard)...I swear it was around here someplace....

Ok, seriously, I have no proof to offer other than things I read here and there both here on MC typed by folks in the biz and from articles I have read in the past, but as far as siting their exact location I couldn't right this minute.

One small scrap of proof though is you can look at their typical TV ads. They are, for the most part, depicting (and thus aimed at) that demographic.

Comment

• Awesome
                              Wilderness Explorer
                              • Oct 2009

Proof???? Do you know who I am???

Er..uh...(checks pockets)...I had it here somewhere...(looks under keyboard)...I swear it was around here someplace....

Ok, seriously, I have no proof to offer other than things I read here and there both here on MC typed by folks in the biz and from articles I have read in the past, but as far as siting their exact location I couldn't right this minute.

One small scrap of proof though is you can look at their typical TV ads. They are, for the most part, depicting (and thus aimed at) that demographic.
                              Haha. Yeah, it'd still be interesting to see where other people get their information as well.
                              When I watch the ads typically they seem to me aimed towards children and families, yes.
                              But a lot of said families are only visiting for the day. Not every family that is visiting is forking out the money for a multiple day pass.
                              In fact, I can imagine that only being the case during the holidays considering visiting for multiple days usually depends on the parents getting time off work.

Comment

• Goofy Daddy
                                Knight that says Nee!!
                                • Dec 2006

Haha. Yeah, it'd still be interesting to see where other people get their information as well.
                                When I watch the ads typically they seem to me aimed towards children and families, yes.
                                But a lot of said families are only visiting for the day. Not every family that is visiting is forking out the money for a multiple day pass.
                                In fact, I can imagine that only being the case during the holidays considering visiting for multiple days usually depends on the parents getting time off work.
                                Uhm...ok. But it is a vacation destination spot. Vacation...you know that time taken off of work? Jus' sayin'. You may feel that "alot" are only visitiong for a day and as far as local traffic you could be right. But most families I know when they go on trip to DLR, it is a vacation/holiday trip and they go for more than one day. That's who the ads are aimed at, and that's what the resort schedule gets based on I'd wager.

Comment

• Awesome
                                  Wilderness Explorer
                                  • Oct 2009

Uhm...ok. But it is a vacation destination spot. Vacation...you know that time taken off of work? Jus' sayin'. You may feel that "alot" are only visitiong for a day and as far as local traffic you could be right. But most families I know when they go on trip to DLR, it is a vacation/holiday trip and they go for more than one day. That's who the ads are aimed at, and that's what the resort schedule gets based on I'd wager.
                                  Ok but my point is, how many days a year does that sort of "vacation" time arise?
                                  Summer, Winter, Spring. And only a few times during those time periods.
                                  Anyway, we're getting off topic.

Comment

• Goofy Daddy
                                    Knight that says Nee!!
                                    • Dec 2006

Ok but my point is, how many days a year does that sort of "vacation" time arise?
                                    Summer, Winter, Spring. And only a few times during those time periods.
                                    Anyway, we're getting off topic.
                                    True about the off topic. So I guess we'll leave it.

To be honest, after all this and the announcement/"reliable rumor" I read on another thread about the Billy Hill show, I am now leaning towards the OP's original message anyway...they ARE killing live entertainment in the resort...a little bit at a time, but still doing it.

Comment

• Awesome
                                      Wilderness Explorer
                                      • Oct 2009

To be honest, after all this and the announcement/"reliable rumor" I read on another thread about the Billy Hill show, I am now leaning towards the OP's original message anyway...they ARE killing live entertainment in the resort...a little bit at a time, but still doing it.
                                      It's sad, but there's nothing we can really do except maybe complain at City Hall, but will that really do anything?
                                      And even then, if it boils down to a budget thing then nothing's going to happen for a while.

Comment

• Ruiner
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Nov 2007

I think it really comes down to the fact that all the complaining in the world is pointless when theyre approaching a million ap's............seriously thats a million people who forked over at least a hundred bucks. They got your money so why waste it on entertainment when a million people have bought or currently own a ap?

Comment

• Awesome
                                          Wilderness Explorer
                                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Ruiner View Post
                                          I think it really comes down to the fact that all the complaining in the world is pointless when theyre approaching a million ap's............seriously thats a million people who forked over at least a hundred bucks. They got your money so why waste it on entertainment when a million people have bought or currently own a ap?
                                          Why waste it on entertainment?
                                          What exactly is your argument?
                                          "A lot of people have APs so why spend money on entertainment because a lot of people have APs"
                                          Maybe I'm just missing something.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X