X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neff man
    replied
    Re: Can we get some real entertainment?

Disneyland does not need to spend extra on entertainment because of the huge numbers that flock to the park year round.
    I am surprised they set off fireworks during the off season weekends, it was back in the day, that the fireworks ended labor Day weekend until the next summer, with the exception of during Christmas.
    Disneyland used to have a lot of special entertainment during the off season to lure people into the park, State Fair and Circus Fantasy come to mind, plus the had named entertainment, I remember watching Cheep Trick perform out on the River Stage on TSI. known named groups on the TLT stage, Big Bands were also a long time staple.
    But remember, the park used to close at 6 p.m during the week, Monday through Friday, Saturday till 10 maybe 11 and Sunday at 9.
    Park attendance during the week during the winter would run from 6000 to maybe 15000 on a good day. Saturday, 35000-50000 and Sunday, 25000 to 30000, so giving something extra was a way of boosting attendance.
    Now Friday through Sunday it is summer time year round, and the mid-week crowds would rival the weekend crowds back in the 80's.
    So the bottom line is why if you are Disney would you spend the extra money on entertainment when the people are going to show up in droves anyway?
    Answer: your not

Leave a comment:

• sixwoofys
    replied

We LOVED Animazement and ALWAYS made it a point to see it when it was running. We saw it many , many times and it was wonderful. Snow White was next and not very good at all.

Animazement was the last truly GREAT stage show at Disneyland IMO and it is truly missed.

If I remember correctly though, there were those who criticized it at the time of it's running. I guess there will always be those who don't appreciate a good thing and will find something bad to say about it. They of course were on "another" mouse thread type planet site though and NOT Mice Chat. Mice Chat is the ONLY site with credibility IMO.

I have many pictures of live Animazement and it always brings a smile to my heart when I view them.

Bring Back Animazement!!

Leave a comment:

• Goofy Daddy
    replied

Originally posted by DizneyMonstro View Post
    im not sure if anyone mentioned this already but, what happened to Aladdins Oasis??? i was a kid when i last saw it but i remeber it was a dinner and a show kinda thing.

i never payed attention to when it closed..did the DCA aladdin show have anything to do with it closing?
    They use the front door area now for Jasmine/Aladdin meet and greets but the small show area inside is unused as far as I know. They could put a medium sized show there, about the size of the Billys show. Yeah that is one of the under utilized spots to be sure.

As far as the why and if the Hyperion show had anything to do with it I sure don't know.

Leave a comment:

• DizneyMonstro
    replied

im not sure if anyone mentioned this already but, what happened to Aladdins Oasis??? i was a kid when i last saw it but i remeber it was a dinner and a show kinda thing.

i never payed attention to when it closed..did the DCA aladdin show have anything to do with it closing?

Leave a comment:

• Goofy Daddy
    replied

Originally posted by scorsese View Post
    I also prefer the off-season for the same reasons. I think you made some excellent points in this thread that I agree with, Goofy Daddy.
    Well, thanks!

I think there's been some contradictions in this thread in that the original poster claimed Disneyland needs to be treated as something unique and independent, yet at the same time wants to compare it to every other Disney park around the world directly. Am I wrong?
    I'm not sure about that. Unless I have misread, the OP and some who have supported their view on this thread appear to have a stance not that DLR should be unique, but rather that they should do things just like "the other parks". I jumped into the fray and voiced the reasons I don't think that is a good idea and stated why. In addition to that if you look at each park you will see they do not do things the same as other resorts either. ALL of them share some common attractions and the over all Disney Brand but they ALL have different approaches to entertainment and guest relations and seasonal schedules.

I think what we can come away with in these arguments is that it's certainly not a "fact" that DLR's live entertainment isn't plentiful right now, but purely just one person's opinion, since it's a complete variable to determine what "enough" actually is in the context of DLR itself for 2009-2010.
    I can agree with that but I would also add that even if there was a consensus that DLR needed some improvement in the Entertainment aspect of the resort, though other resorts might be a place to look at as possible ideas, it is not an automatic "do it like they do" fix as the OP seems to be saying.

Maybe the OP can get some head-way on his argument though if he can list a time in Disneyland's history when they had lots of large, complex, live entertainment during the off-season. And even if they did, it probably wasn't during an economic recession. But I think most of us agree with the OP that the Fantasyland Theater is kind of being wasted right now.
    IMO that would not really be headway...that would be looking backwards. DLR was different back then so what they did then and what they can/should do now are not nessisarily compatable anymore. In the past, if memory serves, DL did offer everything (or as much as they could) even during the off season however they would be closed during weekdays and operate shorter hours during those slow times.

Personally I agree with SOME of the OPs points. DLR could improve on its use of some of their spaces that are being either misused or not used at all. They are making poor choices here and there with other venues (such as the recent rumor of the Billy Hill shows being cut by ten minutes). I agree improvement can be made around the DLR.

I do disagree with personal opinions being offered as if they were proven facts that everyone should just know and agree with. Things like certain shows or parades are bad and would never be accepted in one place or another or that other parks do it this way and DLR doesn't so they are cheap. Those are personal opinions, which are welcome here of course, if they are delivered in that way, not as if it were some gospel carved in stone.

Leave a comment:

• scorsese
    replied

Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    Another poster addressed this somewhere here. Being an AP holder myself who comes during the off season, I go knowing full well I wont be getting a full offering of attractions/shows, but I a going so I can have fun with what is offered with the bonus that crowds will be lighter than peak season when everything is offered, but you stand in line for most of it.
    I also prefer the off-season for the same reasons. I think you made some excellent points in this thread that I agree with, Goofy Daddy.

I think there's been some contradictions in this thread in that the original poster claimed Disneyland needs to be treated as something unique and independent, yet at the same time wants to compare it to every other Disney park around the world directly. Am I wrong?

I think what we can come away with in these arguments is that it's certainly not a "fact" that DLR's live entertainment isn't plentiful right now, but purely just one person's opinion, since it's a complete variable to determine what "enough" actually is in the context of DLR itself for 2009-2010.

Maybe the OP can get some head-way on his argument though if he can list a time in Disneyland's history when they had lots of large, complex, live entertainment during the off-season. And even if they did, it probably wasn't during an economic recession. But I think most of us agree with the OP that the Fantasyland Theater is kind of being wasted right now.
    Last edited by scorsese; 12-27-2009, 07:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Goofy Daddy
    replied

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Sorry, I just went through the first two pages of this extravaganza. But I wonder what makes someone like the AP holder going on a Wednesday in January feel as if they should be a full menu of parades and shows the same as a visitor in the summer.

Back in the land before time, and/or AP's, they used to call it...the "off-season".
    Another poster addressed this somewhere here. Being an AP holder myself who comes during the off season, I go knowing full well I wont be getting a full offering of attractions/shows, but I a going so I can have fun with what is offered with the bonus that crowds will be lighter than peak season when everything is offered, but you stand in line for most of it.

Leave a comment:

• Goofy Daddy
    replied

Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
    I find that to be so wrong. When you don't compare Disneyland to anything, then all that you can believe is that Disneyland is always doing good. Disneyland needs to be compared to others in order for it to stay top-notch.
    Again, that is YOUR opinion and a need of YOURS. I myself do not need some other resort to decide for myself if what DL does or doesn't do is good in my eyes. I have no doubt others would agree with me, and still others with you. What "side" the majority is on we may never know but you make your statements as if it is some sort of law and everyone else should just accept it as a fact. YOU may need other examples for yourself to hold up next to DLR for comparisen, I don't. Also, as explained several times, IMO, your basis for comparisen is flawed as many factors come into play making any comparisen results between DLR and the other Disney resorts very dubious at best.

If it doesn't then we start to buy into the cheap, low quality stuff that Disneyland puts out like Celebrate A Street Party. I dare Disney to though that show into Disneyland Paris or Tokyo Disneyland. Would they ever do such a thing there? Absolutely not, so what is the difference with Disneyland? NOTHING.
    AGAIN, you state your personal opinion as if it were a proven fact. You have no idea what the other resorts may or may not do in the future. You also refer to the Street Party example as if it was a unanamous forgone conclusion that there is something wrong with it. That is your opinion that it is somehow not worthy of DLR and it's guests (again because rather than looking at it as "does it work well for DLR" you insist on looking at it as "would it be something other parks do?"). For now, it works there and appears to be pretty well accepted. Is it the same as what Paris and Tokyo have right at this moment? Nope. You know why? Because DL is not in Paris or Tokyo.

Disneyland is being cheap. And their is no difference in culture/economy or anything else big enough to make Disneyland seem up to par with the other resorts.
    I hope you are not actually trying to argue here that society/culture in Japan or France is no different than in California, I am hoping I'm misreading that statement. Setting that aside, my example of differences in culture was mostly pointing out why those places may not have a "down season" like DLR does here in the states and thus do not follow the same pattern of down time and refurbs that DLR does. The cultural differences DO also have an influence over the type of entertainment offered at those other resorts though. If you think differently then you really need to do some social studies research.

I can't believe you don't want to compare DL to even WDW.
    ...And I can't believe you DO want to compare them and still expect to have any crediblity in this discussion. The core debate here is the amount of entertainment offered at DLR and your caviet of "compared to other resorts" attached to it and you actually think is a proper and credible comparisen to hold up another resort that is easily 3 times larger than DLR. Seriously? Is that what you concider a fair and credible comparisen? WDW offers more entertainment than DLR everyone! DLR must be being cheap because this other resort with 3 times the number of hotels and parks offers more entertainment than it does. Wow, just wow.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyFan28
    replied

dont bands count?
    because i could spend my day listening to the various bands unless theres a off season for them

Leave a comment:

• Radiobarry
    replied

Sorry, I just went through the first two pages of this extravaganza. But I wonder what makes someone like the AP holder going on a Wednesday in January feel as if they should be a full menu of parades and shows the same as a visitor in the summer.

Back in the land before time, and/or AP's, they used to call it...the "off-season".

Leave a comment:

• Disney Sea
    replied

I've been fairly happy with the shows I've seen at DLR in the past few years, but also I don't go once a week, I go less often. It's not perfect, but it's definitely not disastrous or anything. Loved Jubilee, loved Aladdin, will probably love World of Color. I'd have to actually visit Tokyo and see their shows to decide if it's so much better that it puts DLR to shame. I doubt it. If it doesn't get better in a couple years, I'd definitely be complaining too though. But I bet it will get better.
    At Tokyo Disneyland, there is always a show going on it seems like, keeping me in the park longer since there is more to see! Also, some of the shows seem just to happen in front of me, which is true magic! Sometimes I'll just be walking through the hub to be treated by a parade spectacular! that's the real magic of tokyo disneyland.

Leave a comment:

• scorsese
    replied

I've been fairly happy with the shows I've seen at DLR in the past few years, but also I don't go once a week, I go less often. It's not perfect, but it's definitely not disastrous or anything. Loved Jubilee, loved Aladdin, will probably love World of Color. I'd have to actually visit Tokyo and see their shows to decide if it's so much better that it puts DLR to shame. I doubt it. If it doesn't get better in a couple years, I'd definitely be complaining too though. But I bet it will get better.

And I know I'm lumping DCA with DL. I just can't help doing that..

Leave a comment:

• Ice101
    replied

Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    Why do you need to compare it to anything? It is what it is, just as the other resorts are what they are. Each share the common theme of the Disney brand and some attractions that are alike to each other. Yet all are unique and individual resort experiances with very diverse locations and social/cultural influences. What one does, does not mean the others should/can automatically lock step and do it too. YOU have a need to compare them for some reason and project the things you personally like about other resorts onto you image of what DL should be. You are free to do so of course, but that doesn't mean you are right to do so or that everyone will agree with your opinion.
    I find that to be so wrong. When you don't compare Disneyland to anything, then all that you can believe is that Disneyland is always doing good. Disneyland needs to be compared to others in order for it to stay top-notch. If it doesn't then we start to buy into the cheap, low quality stuff that Disneyland puts out like Celebrate A Street Party. I dare Disney to though that show into Disneyland Paris or Tokyo Disneyland. Would they ever do such a thing there? Absolutely not, so what is the difference with Disneyland? NOTHING. Disneyland is being cheap. And their is no difference in culture/economy or anything else big enough to make Disneyland seem up to par with the other resorts. I can't believe you don't want to compare DL to even WDW.

Leave a comment:

• Goofy Daddy
    replied

I don't understand Goofy Daddy, you are always talking about how I can't compare Disneyland to the 'other resorts' then what are we suppose to compare Disneyland to!?
    Why do you need to compare it to anything? It is what it is, just as the other resorts are what they are. Each share the common theme of the Disney brand and some attractions that are alike to each other. Yet all are unique and individual resort experiances with very diverse locations and social/cultural influences. What one does, does not mean the others should/can automatically lock step and do it too. YOU have a need to compare them for some reason and project the things you personally like about other resorts onto you image of what DL should be. You are free to do so of course, but that doesn't mean you are right to do so or that everyone will agree with your opinion.

The fact of the matter is, Disneyland is being cheap, incredibly cheap.
    Fact? No. That is your opinion. I'm sure it is deeply rooted in your vast corporate business experience and demographics research you have done and not just you spouting it because you have "other park" envy.

The fact of the matter is that Disneyland can and will be compared to the other resorts. Those differences by no means make up for the margin of difference between Disneyland's entertainment offerings and the other resorts.
    You can call it a fact if you are refering to yourself only. If you are trying to claim that a majority of people do it, it is once again, your personal opinion, not a fact.

Once again, my advice to you is to go to the other resorts and never set foot at DLR again...then your personal issue would be solved as you would get that amazing schedule these other parks apparently offer and not have to consern yourself with the vast void in entertainment that apparently is at DLR.

Leave a comment:

• Ice101
    replied

I don't understand Goofy Daddy, you are always talking about how I can't compare Disneyland to the 'other resorts' then what are we suppose to compare Disneyland to!? The fact of the matter is, Disneyland is being cheap, incredibly cheap. Yes there is an offseason, but that does not mean you shut down all of your rides at that one time! What in the world is Disney thinking closing down Fantasmic, Tomorrowland Terrace, and the Hill Billies all at the same time! Why does Disney close down a few at a time during the off season and then close down one of the smaller ones when you have other offerings like Halloween. The fact of the matter is that Disneyland can and will be compared to the other resorts. Those differences by no means make up for the margin of difference between Disneyland's entertainment offerings and the other resorts.

Leave a comment:

• Goofy Daddy
    replied

Jeeze it sounds like everyone encourages this behavior. No wonder Disneyland is the only Disney resort that does it that way.
    Here we go again.

Seriously Ice, don't EVER visit DLR again. Go exclusively to the "other resorts" since they are soooo much better in your eyes.

You can point at the "other resorts" all through this thread but it means diddly squat as there is no fair comparisen. Cultural, social, and other obvious differences mean those "others" can and will have different schedules and offerings. Because they do it does not automatically mean DLR can or even should do it.

When DL was as young as some of the others it had a different schedule too I might add. But basically perhaps these others are able to because FOR NOW they have no "off season". Perhaps they do but FOR NOW they choose to offer everything they can despite that (as DL USED to). Maybe the different school, vacation, holiday, and other social factors allow them to operate year round with out a "down season".

None of that changes the fact that for DLR there IS a down time during the year and that is when they choose to do most of their small annual refurbs and resets of entertainment. Better, IMO, than to scatter them around the year including during peak tourist season. That is not encouraging anything it is a simple cultural fact for DLR. More people go during a certain time of year and so more is offered. When the park is slow, entertainment is slow.

Leave a comment:

• Ice101
    replied

Jeeze it sounds like everyone encourages this behavior. No wonder Disneyland is the only Disney resort that does it that way.

Leave a comment:

• twingirlsmom
    replied

Then why do guests pay the same amount and get less? It is understandable that all attractions need down time, I am totally cool with a month long annual maintenance of each show but all the shows should not go down at one time. That is completely unfair to the customers.
    We go then because the lines are shorter for the rides so we can experience them instead. I love the street performances and little extras you get during the year, but sometimes it's nice to come in the off season for a quieter trip.

Leave a comment:

• tikicub
    replied

That is completely unfair to the customers.
    Hardly, they've CHOSEN to go when the park is operating at half capacity.

If you want to go to the park when everything is up and running, then you need to CHOOSE to go during the peak season.

Quite simple, don't know why people don't get these simple facts.

Leave a comment:

• Goofy Daddy
    replied

Then why do guests pay the same amount and get less? It is understandable that all attractions need down time, I am totally cool with a month long annual maintenance of each show but all the shows should not go down at one time. That is completely unfair to the customers.
    Don't ask me my friend, ask those guests that. Disney charges the same because people pay it. As to why they do, I assume they all have individual answers. I have never done a January in the park, even as an AP holder. When I have gone during the "off season" in February/early March I went specifically because I wanted to avoid crowds and knowing that some stuff would not be offered. If they offered the amount of shows you are wanting them to (based on this thread) AND they staggered the one month down time, some of those shows would be down during peak attendance time and Disney would not do that. From a business sense it is better to have many down during the off season (disappoint as few as you can) than to have a few down during peak attendance (disappointing your main audience).

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X