This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Why did Tommorland '98 fail?

Why do you think the New Tomorrowlandof 1998 was a failure? Was it because of the budget cuts? Was it because they cut (unbanked (RR)) corners? Was it because it was just a bad idea in general? What are your opinions?
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." -Walter Elias Disney

SEE MOM! Even Walt Disney thought school was bad!

Twitter http://twitter.com/dogtherock
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/dogtherock
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/waltdisneyscaliforniaadventure
    (Look at the URL i got for Facebook

Re: Why did Tommorland '98 fail?

Yes, yes, and yes.

Comment

Good Thread...... I really want think about it!
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
        Yes, yes, and yes.
        What he said.

In more detail, TL 98 started off as a great idea. Turn it into a Jules Verne retro-future. But then came the budget cuts and the watering down of the ideas, and eventually we ended up with what amounted to a repaint, one new mediocre ride, and a giant crater in front of Tomorrowland.

It's all in the execution.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
        HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
        ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
        FOLLOW MY BLOG: <<LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING>>

Comment

I think it was some of everything, but probably the main reason was it just wasn't a good idea or execution of the ideas.

Comment

I bet Tomorrowland 98 would've been pretty good if it wasn't for the cruddy cutbacks.
            DisneyTwins
            Since May 2003

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
              Yes, yes, and yes.
              This.

Comment

Budgets got cut - although that should always be a foregone conclusion. But Disney tried to take a somewhat Discoveryland-like route with the modifications, but didn't go all-out with it, resorting instead to a rather uninspiring paint job on the existing architecture and a few genuinely new elements, the most Discoveryland-ish of which (the Astro Orbitor) was simply a clone. Meanwhile, there was still some completely unrelated backstory about communicating with alien life or something. The result had neither the steampunk/Jules Verne/future-that-never-was appeal of Discoveryland nor the genuinely futuristic excitement of a normal Tomorrowland because it didn't commit to either one. It tried to bridge the gap between two completely incompatible (though equally valid) concepts. In effect, they also moved the Rocket Jets to ground level, reducing their thrill level and uniqueness and blocking traffic. And yeah, Rocket Rods certainly weren't hurting for attendance, but Disney's unwillingness to invest in banked turns was very costly in the end.

That being said, there were certainly a lot of good ideas and good intentions in play. The results were perhaps not as utterly disastrous as some of us make them sound...but they could have been a lot better.

Comment

tommorowland 98 wasnt a huge failure..it had some issues yes..HISTA was popular at first because it was new,star tours was and still draws attendance as well as space mt.the failures were the removal of the people mover, and a rushed replacement that was to costly to maintain,the Astro orbiter moveing off its shelf, INNOVENTIONS was bad from the start..then Hista began running out of steam real quick,add in the budget cuts, lack of planning .So it was a lot of things put together that were tommorowland 98''s downfall
                  "Alright you primative screwheads listen up.."BRUCE CAMPBELL

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                    , but Disney's unwillingness to invest in banked turns was very costly in the end.
                    I am finding this thread quite interesting, but I don't understand this part of the discussion. Banked turns on what ride? The rocket jets?

I would appreicate it if that could be explained and why it is important.

Thank you!
                    sigpic
                    Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Comment

They gave up on imagineering what "tomorrow" could be like.

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
                        I am finding this thread quite interesting, but I don't understand this part of the discussion. Banked turns on what ride? The rocket jets?

Thank you!
                        the banked turns for rocket rods
                        "Alright you primative screwheads listen up.."BRUCE CAMPBELL

Comment

Originally posted by sunrider View Post
                          tommorowland 98 wasnt a huge failure..it had some issues yes..HISTA was popular at first because it was new,star tours was and still draws attendance as well as space mt.the failures were the removal of the people mover, and a rushed replacement that was to costly to maintain,the Astro orbiter moveing off its shelf, INNOVENTIONS was bad from the start..then Hista began running out of steam real quick,add in the budget cuts, lack of planning .So it was a lot of things put together that were tommorowland 98''s downfall
                          Yes he right there many, many
                          - Bad things in 98!
                          Were in 67 there many Good things that right!
                          INNOVENTIONS building now all mess up.........
                          Disney took every wrong turn.....in Tommorowland "98"
                          Also "cutback" was the biggest wrong thing that Disney did !
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

It was a mixture of budget cuts and execution.

There really hasn't been a good thing that came out of TL'98. We have the infamous Tomorrowland Bottleneck because of the Astro Orbitor, an empty PeopleMover track, a mediocre 3D show, and a lackluster Innoventions.

BTW, sunrider, Star Tours opened in 1987, 12 years before TL'98.
                            MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
                            (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

Comment

I'd argue that Tomorrowland '98 was a complete and total failure. And not just Rocket Rods and Honey I Have No Audience. Moving the Rocket Jets to the ground and blocking the entry of the land; painting only the center section of Tomorrowland with the new color scheme; building an expensive ride system but not spending the extra $$$ to give it a story and theme; building a cosmic toilet which created a traffic jam near Space and initially had unfiltered water that kids urinated and played in; thinking that a rotating advertisement would make an acceptable "attraction"; turning a former ride location into a restaurant . . . The whole thing was a mess from day one. A complete and abject failure. They spent a ton of money just to make Tomorrowland worse than it was before!!!

The shame is that there were FANTASTIC plans for Tomorrowland which were cut and scaled back so many times that they were doomed to failure regardless of which attractions were eventually greenlit.

The Jules Vern inspired design COULD have worked had it been applied evenly throughout the entire land AND had they built actual attractions that lived up to the Disney brand.

Tomorrowland '98 was a prime example of Eisner and Pressler at their worst. Removing this blight from Disneyland couldn't come soon enough!

Thankfully, there are some talented folks who are working on Tomorrowland . . . but will they be powerful enough to block attempts to perpetuate yet another round of travesties (such as putting Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor into the Magic Eye Theater or giving in to the pressure to fill Tomorrowland with animated characters).

Let's not "Fix" Tomorrowland with weak concepts which are also doomed to ridicule and failure. Think big and dust off some of those fantastic concepts which would have really worked!
                              MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                              Save

Comment

Short answer is you answered your own question. Everything you listed is why it didn't work out.

Comment

Does anyone know what plans are in the works to revamp Tomorrowland? At the very least it would be a HUGE improvement to put the astro orbitor back up were it belongs and demo those ridiculous rock formations jutting up everywhere!

Why did they removed the people mover in the 1st place? WDW still has theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post

Thank you!

I'm not sure you got the complete answer above, so I'll try and help. The old People Mover was replaced bit a 'thrill ride' called Rocket Rods. Instead of a nice stately 16 minute tour of Tomorrowland, the ride zipped around the same track in just about three minutes. The original People Mover track was not built to withstand this treatment, and began to weaken to the point of potential danger.
                                    Many promises were made to strengthen the track and return the Rocket Rods, but those promises were never fulfilled. As a result, the hulking and rotting People Mover/Rocket rods track still stands in Tomorrowland today, unused and a true blight.
                                    You can read more here:
                                    Rocket Rods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                                    Last edited by ttrocc7007; 12-22-2009, 10:34 AM. Reason: sp.
                                    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
                                    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
                                    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                                      turning a former ride location into a restaurant . . .
                                      And turning another former ride location (Circlevision) into a queue for a now-former ride (Rocket Rods).

Comment

Originally posted by dfan07 View Post
                                        And turning another former ride location (Circlevision) into a queue for a now-former ride (Rocket Rods).
                                        Your right!
                                        (I LOVE Circlevision......)
                                        hopefuly they take out other (Buzz lightyear Astro Blast)!
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X