Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Most Overlooked Thing in the Park?

Hi all,

This is my first post here! I've been going to Disneyland since the early 80s. My great-grandmother lived in Anaheim (you could even see the top of the Matterhorn from her balcony) so we went a lot when we went to visit her, and I was hooked for life.

But as often as I've gone, I've never been to the park by myself. Until now, that is. Due to a series of scheduling problems, it looks like I'm going to be at Disneyland on Christmas day on my own. Now, I know what you're thinking. Why Christmas, of all days to pick?? Well, it also happens to be my birthday, and since I'm Jewish, and my friends will all be celebrating with their families during the day, I figured I'd give myself a fun new experience for my birthday. I'm actually really excited about it!

Since I've got no agenda for the day, and no group to please when deciding where to go next, I want to get off the beaten path and see the things I usually breeze by on my way to item #14 on the day's schedule.

So, here's my question. What do you think is the single most overlooked or underrated thing in the park? A bit of stunning architecture, maybe, or something in plain sight that has hidden significance? What one thing is your favorite thing to share and say, "Now this ... THIS is special."?

I look forward to hearing your ideas!

Re: Most Overlooked Thing in the Park?

Omnibus! just yesterday all I did with my mom and brother at Disneyland was take the omnibus from one end of Main Street back to the Hub (and Mr. Lincoln and some shopping at the stores). We had the whole bus to ourselves, but we still sat in the bench facing the front on the 2nd story. It allows a very different perspective of Main Street, seeing the upper roofs and all the detail in Main Street. you also feel very powerful too. XD as people move out of your way as your bus glides through main street.
    meh. I wish I could go on Xmas once. My aunt went once and said it was empty.

Comment

Wow, you know, I don't think I've ever actually ridden any of the Main Street vehicles! I may have to remedy that!

Comment

I think the area around Snow White's Grotto is very pretty. There are some secluded walkways. Also the walkway around the backside of Big Thunder into the top of Fantasyland is nice. Check out the Billy Hill show if you have never seen it. I actually enjoyed Tom Sawyer's Island last month. I was doing research for my next novel, but was checking out all the caves and bridges. I really enjoyed it. Check out some of the names on the windows of Main Street. Fess Parker's is in Frontierland above the clothing store. Take the canoes if they happen to be running. There is so much to do and enjoy alone when you aren't worried about everyone else with you enjoying themselves or worried that they might not like this or that ride. Go on everything you enjoy - twice if you feel like it!
        sigpic
        Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Comment

First of all......... WELCOME!!

When I visit the park on a solo trip I like to people watch. And I like the big, Amish horses that pull the trolley cars so I sit on a bench near where the trolley loads in front of the castle. I enjoy watching all the kids react to the horses plus you get to watch everyone taking a picture in the front of the castle.

Second favorite place to just relax and soak up the atmosphere is under the trees in Critter Country. Especially if Tigger is out.

Comment

Considering that the entire park will be a new experience for you I really can't offer much... anything you do will be brand new... have fun and Happy Birthday.
            "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

the petrified tree that Walt gave to Lillian
              Quote by Al:
              To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
              -Al Lutz

Comment

Sleeping Beauty walk thru! AMAZING! I kept wondering "how did they do that?"
                Somewhere in fontainbleau
                Lies my secret garden

Comment

I would go over by snow white's grotto, sleeping beauty castle walkthrough, and some areas of TSI are very nice and you can get some great views. Have fun!

Comment

My advice as a long term solo-trip Disneyland fan.

1) Do not worry that it will be awkward. The awkward feeling seriously vanishes before you reach the bag check tents.

2) Take lots of pictures. My camera is my best friend when I go to the parks.

3) LOOK AROUND YOU. Never, ever look at the floor when you're walking. Take a gander at your surroundings. See something you like? Snap a shot (if you do bring a camera).

4) At least one visit to Disneyana is mandatory! No exceptions! Especially on a solo visit, you really get to relax and take in the beautiful artwork, and perhaps buy yourself a treat!

5) Take advantage of Single Rider tickets. They will be distinguishable by a blue "S" on the map.

6) Before you know it, your time will be up and you'll realize how fast and entertaining a solo trip to Disneyland can be.

Once you get used to going alone, it really takes off the stress of organizing a trip with friends, because friends will flake.

Comment

All of the beautiful architecture. I was in the line to get a hotdog in the Hollywood Backlot on Sunday and I was amazed by how much work they put into there.

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

Comment

the most hidden out of the way noboddy knows about it thing in the entire park ever?
                        Try to get into walts apartment.
                        if that fails then go to the court of angels in New Orleans Square. Find the 3 stuffed heads on pooh. See the golden spike in the castle gateway Hitch a ride in the drivers cabben of the monorail. Ride with the engeneer on a steam train.
                        find hidden mickeys. Ill even give you a free one, On PotC right before you go up the waterfall you will see 3 oak barrels haning up on a rope in front of you that forms a mickey mouse head.
                        Get a map of the jungle on jungle cruise. Ask for a death certificate on the haunted mansion. try to pull the sword from the anvil on a stone. Find club 33 and ask for a tour inside. Thats all I can think of.
                        I am Scary Scott,
                        Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
                        I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
                        Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
                        Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Originally posted by sediment
                        Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
                        Originally posted by Karalora
                        This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
                        Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
                        Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

Comment

Originally posted by Goover View Post
                          My advice as a long term solo-trip Disneyland fan.

1) Do not worry that it will be awkward. The awkward feeling seriously vanishes before you reach the bag check tents.

3) LOOK AROUND YOU. Never, ever look at the floor when you're walking.
                          Totally agree with No.1. I got ditched on a trip down to the park two years ago when friends were supposed to meet me there and didn't make it. And it really isn't awkward once you're there. Actually its kinda fun to take advantage of the single rider lines for Soarin' and Toy Story.

Totally disagree with No.3. One of the most overlooked things in the park is the attention to detail even down to the paving; everything from the horse shoe prints in Frontierland to the beautiful bricks of Main Street. As a landscape architect, I look for details in construction and have a catalogue of images of pavement from the Disneyland Resort.

Comment

Beg for a ride on the Lilly Belle. If you're lucky, they might let you!

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
                            HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
                            ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
                            FOLLOW MY BLOG: <<LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING>>

Comment

u shud visit the gallery and Abe Lincoln and

Happy Birthday!!!! (..... early..... lolz )
                              So after 2 full days in a row of walking around disneyland and a four hour practice, I finally understand why my doctor told me to take it easy on my knee I still cant wait to do it again

AEROSMITH FTWW!

Comment

Happy Birthday!!

Ask to ride in the wheel house of the Mark Twain. Like the Omnibus, seeing the Rivers of America from that vantage points is very different.
                                The Mur

Comment

people mover track.

Comment

I had ended up spending one day at DLR by myself this summer. My family all went to hear my Dad sing in a competition and since they all know that I love Disney, they didn't get me a ticket. LOL! I was surprised how much FUN I had by myself.

I enjoyed seeing the shows. I got the BEST seat (3rd row Center) for Aladdin because I was a single. I also got to walk right on Splash Mountain. Had a wonderful spot for the parades and got to take some fun pictures. Just have fun! What a great way to spend your birthday!

Sara
                                    WDW: 1981, 1986, 2008, 2012
                                    DLR: 1999, 2009
                                    DLP: 2010

Like the Beatles? Check out my blog Meet the Beatles for Real
                                    http://meetthebeatlesforreal.blogspot.com/

Comment

Right after exiting Haunted Mansion to the outside, there is a gate to your right. Go up the ramp and ask the CMs at the entrance to HM to see the pet cemetery. I had no idea until it existed until my most recent visit.

Another fun thing to do is follow the walkway behind the Columbia dock until you reach the Splash Mountain flume. It's a great place to wave to the riders after the big drop.

Have fun!!

Comment

Wow, lots of great ideas! Thanks, everyone!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X