This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Marketingland vs. Nostalgialand

Capt. EO was replaced by HISTA, which most of us seem to dislike or just ignore, and HISTA will likely be replaced by MILF, which has nothing to do w/ science fact or fiction and isn't exactly wowing them in Florida. Yet some people are opposed on principle to the idea of bringing back an attraction from Yesterland rather than creating something new.

Myself, sure, I'd rather have something all new, but sadly, I just don't trust Disney anymore. Any new attraction would be done on a wire thin budget and have characters shoehorned into it and their presence handwaved away. Given the choice, I'd rather have an old attraction back in all its retro glory than feel like I'm watching a glorified DVD commercial and standing in line (not to mention paying) for the privilege.

What if you had the choice? Assume the attraction to be brought back was popular in its day and missed now, etc. Assume also that any new attraction would be required to have a tie in to a currently popular character or franchise. One or the other, which would you choose?
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Re: Marketingland vs. Nostalgialand

First of all, it's not "Disney". There are great, great, great, GREAT distinctions between Team Disney Anaheim and Team Disney Orlando that make a huge difference. The difference for me is, I completely trust TDA and am repulsed and disgusted by TDO's management. Why?

TDA accomplishments:
    -A fully and wonderfully executed Tiana's Showboat Jubilee with better funding
    -Spending 1 Billion dollars on fixing what Eisner messed up in DCA
    -Bringing back a refreshed Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln
    -Closing HISTA and bringing back EO temporarily- smart move
    -Fantasmic! enhancements (Yes, we had problems with the dragon at first, but they spent good money on making an incredible show amazing)

TDO accomplishments:
    -Stitch's SuperStupid Celebration (ran for less than a month before closing permanently. Was known to receive a chorus of "boo"s from crowds)
    -Spaceship Earth refurbishment with a completely unfinished finale, remaining unfinished for two years now and will never be completed
    -Space Mountain on one eighth of the scale of our refurbishment, and theirs was older. This isn't an exaggeration.
    -Work hour cuts that resulted in the death of a cast member

I have full confidence in Team Disney Anaheim. I trust that they will make a good decision on what to place there. They were extremely smart in seeing this opportunity to get HISTA gone, but they were very cautious in going about the process, which was very wise.

If I were you, I would have confidence in Team Disney Anaheim. If this were Team Disney Orlando we were talking about, it would be an absolutely different story. They do terrible, terrible things to Walt Disney World. I am thankful for TDA and their love for Disneyland and correcting errors from past management. They do a wonderful job.
    Last edited by WDITrent; 12-25-2009, 04:59 PM.

Comment

If they are going to bring back an Oldie But Goodie to fill in an open gaping hole, go for it. I remember when they brought back the original Circle Vision theater film - the one with Walt hiding behind a tree and that sheepdog - and I loved seeing it again. I would much rather have that than an empty building or a deserted dock - cough - Keel Boat - cough. Much better than some quickly put-together ride that doesn't interest anyone - DCA Limo ride, anyone?
      sigpic
      Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Comment

I'd much rather have classic than trendy.

Comment

MILF??!! what is that?

Comment

monsters' inc laugh floor! it's just an unfortunate acronym )
            Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
            You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
            Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

Stands for Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor (or Laughing Floor, I forget right now), which is in Tomorrowland at Walt Disney world's Magic Kingdom. Apparently they are going to put one in Disneyland's Tomorrowland, in place of Honey, I Shrunk the Audience.

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
                Much better than some quickly put-together ride that doesn't interest anyone - DCA Limo ride, anyone?
                Oh yes! Let's bring that one back.

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                Stands for Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor (or Laughing Floor, I forget right now), which is in Tomorrowland at Walt Disney world's Magic Kingdom. Apparently they are going to put one in Disneyland's Tomorrowland, in place of Honey, I Shrunk the Audience.
                I really hope this doesn't happen. It was a mistake at WDW.

Comment

Originally posted by WDITrent View Post
                  I really hope this doesn't happen. It was a mistake at WDW.
                  Bingo!! It was a mistake at WDW and it'll be a mistake at DL, but best information says it's going in. This is what I mean when I say I don't trust Disney. Capt. EO may be old and cheesy, but it beats the alternative.

You may prefer Anaheim's management to Orlando's, but under the One Disney Initiative, Orlando's calling the shots.
                  Charter Member

Comment

I would bring back the country bears granted it would have to be updated with a few new songs but it could be done, although my finale would not be to well recieved,since i would put the bears back in the playhouse and evict pooh,the bears final song of the set would be, a country bear will survive..and Pooh, Tigger, and Eeyore. would have their heads mounted on the wall behind them
                    "Alright you primative screwheads listen up.."BRUCE CAMPBELL

Comment

Originally posted by sunrider View Post
                      I would bring back the country bears , a country bear will survive..and Pooh, Tigger, and Eeyore. would have their heads mounted on the wall behind them
                      Brilliant!! Bring back Bears and replace their heads!

ROFL
                      sigpic
                      Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
                        Brilliant!! Bring back Bears and replace their heads!

ROFL
                        i was going to use spears but i thought it would be to gruesome

Comment

not pooh bear!!!
                          Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
                          You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
                          Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

Originally posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post
                            not pooh bear!!!
                            yes pooh bear..he used his cuteness to evict the bears and had eyes on other properties.. like great moments with Pooh and Piglet, Pooh Bear of the caribian (but the films were to successful).....be ware the powers of pooh people..when the new pooh bear movie comes out..you will witness the firepower of a armed and fully operational marketing machine

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post

What exactly is the Laugh Floor? I've heard of it, but never a description of what goes on there.... I was secretly hoping it was like Whose Line Is It Anyways?, but from the comments, doubt it!
                              sigpic

Comment

Sort of a comedy club... here's a video of the one at WDW.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7K_9gvI_Y4]YouTube - MONSTER'S INC LAUGH FLOOR AT THE MAGIC KINGDOM 1/2[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Broadway Guru View Post
                                  Capt. EO was replaced by HISTA, which most of us seem to dislike or just ignore, and HISTA will likely be replaced by MILF, which has nothing to do w/ science fact or fiction and isn't exactly wowing them in Florida. Yet some people are opposed on principle to the idea of bringing back an attraction from Yesterland rather than creating something new.

Myself, sure, I'd rather have something all new, but sadly, I just don't trust Disney anymore. Any new attraction would be done on a wire thin budget and have characters shoehorned into it and their presence handwaved away. Given the choice, I'd rather have an old attraction back in all its retro glory than feel like I'm watching a glorified DVD commercial and standing in line (not to mention paying) for the privilege.

What if you had the choice? Assume the attraction to be brought back was popular in its day and missed now, etc. Assume also that any new attraction would be required to have a tie in to a currently popular character or franchise. One or the other, which would you choose?
                                  The flaw in this argument is that anything "brought back" may not be in its original form. Then there is the underlying fact that if said attraction was closed it was closed for a reason (most "favorties" were a combination of upkeep cost and lack of popularity among the general public). Sure people will initially flock to see said "childhood favorite" but will they continue to pack the house? or will they move on to something else once the novelty has worn off.? Many people miss PeopleMover, Skyway, CBJ, Subs, and Circlevision. They write about fond memories and question why their dear favorite was shuttered. How many of them rode it consistently? multiple times on a trip? and how many of them just kept walking by and simply assumed that Disneyland would always have their favorite even if they didn't click the turnstyle?

I really do not have a lot of faith in WDI. Aside from a couple minor flukes (Soarin') they haven't delivered a successful original in over 30 years. If it doesn't have a character or movie tie-in with a built in story and easily recognizable characters... then they can't do it! DCA proved that... so far the makeover changes have all been about adding characters.

At the same time I don't see Disney bringing anything back on a permanent basis without altering it to suit their marketing needs. Be it a Stitch People Mover or a Wall E Skyway... I can see how they would simply pull another Nemo Sub out of the proverbial sorcerer's hat.
                                  "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post
                                    If it doesn't have a character or movie tie-in with a built in story and easily recognizable characters... then they can't do it! DCA proved that... so far the makeover changes have all been about adding characters.
                                    Thank god I'm not the only one who thinks this!

If you consider some of the biggest hits at Disneyland, you've got: Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Matterhorn, Jungle Cruise, etc. None of them required well known characters to be successful and they succeeded in bringing variety to the parks.
                                    Despite the fact I'm looking forward to experiencing DCA's Radiator Springs Racers, I'm in no way thrilled about the whole idea of "Carsland".

As much as I adore many of the Pixar movies (Toy Story, Nemo, Monsters) I'm praying that WDI doesn't continue pumping out more Pixar themed rides and attractions. In fact, I'm hoping they don't try to base more rides on recent Disney films either. The classics, I can live with!
                                    I'll hyperventilate if they attempt to produce a Wall-E ride or an Enchanted parade...
                                    "...Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."

Comment

Anything that fits theme works for me. Unfortunately, Imagineering's imagination is dead. The only thing they can do is rehash the latest popular movie or return something old (which is much better then the first option).

And honestly, I would rather see something old, but new considering the latest crap offered, come in and add an ounce of what made Disneyland special in the past once again become relevant to the present.
                                      Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
                                      "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
                                      -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
                                      -August 2nd 2010

Comment

Originally posted by sunrider View Post
                                        I would bring back the country bears granted it would have to be updated with a few new songs but it could be done
                                        Ah, but weren't you one of the ones saying EO shouldn't come back because it's old? The bears are a good 10 years older than EO. Why is it okay for them to come back, but not the Captain?
                                        Charter Member

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X