X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voice Man Mike
    replied
    Re: Great moments with mr. Lincoln

First I must say I'm very pleased that Great Moments is back.

On the technical side of things I'm a little disappointed.

The audio has been scrubbed and cleaned up. Over all show audio is good, but there are portions where it sounds a bit muffled, and not as sparkling as it could be. This could be due to the fact that they have not up graded the speakers, or that the volume is a bit to low, and or that the acoustics in the theater are 45 years old -and some of which (the rear wall) have been painted over and are now reflective rather than absorptive. Some of these effects was diminished when the audio from the "Disneyland: The first 50 Magical Years" was blasted at us.

But the theaters audio deficiencies really comes across at the rear of theater (dead center second to last row)- when the Lincoln figures speaks, he sounds like he's speaking through a cardboard tube. Also when viewed from the front of the theater (second row dead center) the voice seems to come from the sides of the theater rather than from the figure itself. It's only when one sits near the center of the studio does one get a sense that the audio is acutely coming from the figure, but it is still off because the audio is coming from behind the figure, in the boxes under the pillars near the floor, and we get an odd reflection from the floor.

I think they missed an opportunity to really play up the Battle Hymn of the Republic. It would have been really nice to start the song from behind Lincoln and as the song grows it moves around the and encompasses the theater with its brilliant majesty. This would be most moving.

As for the animation. the body still comes across as wooden, and the hands are little unexpressive, especially when one compares the often manic yet organic and strong movements of Tom Marrow. Lincoln needs more strength, and determination in is animation.

Another pet peeve of mine is when Lincoln stands. He's all legs. If this animitronic were a real person he would have the thighs of an iron horse. Even a horse has a hard time standing. Though the animation is an improvement over the past, he still has no weight when standing. Lincoln was also a tired man, and a tired man does not spring from his chair. What would be very cool is to see one of his feet move back to a center of gravity, and push from one of his thighs instead of the chair, and kind of roll out of the chair. As he finally moves into his upright position, his hips would move in under him and he would adjust his footing.

I'm not complaining folks these are just corrections that would make the illusion of life even better.

I'm not sure if I'm liking the addition of Golden Dreams at the end of the program. In each of the 3 times that I saw the show the audience was confused. It was only when the house lights came up did everyone figure out that the show had indeed ended. It would be better to go into the overture as the house light come up, and Golden Dreams could then take over in the lobby. For me it was a weak link in the total presentation -besides Miley Cyrus on the lobby wall. What a great disappointment to see that do-nothing along side such great and accomplished people.

A touching tribute in the lobby would be to have a video screen that displays the images and names of the fallen service men and women from that week.
    Last edited by Voice Man Mike; 12-30-2009, 12:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pirate Lover 68
    replied

While I too have issues with Miley on the wall, the idea behind those pictures is to tie the experience together. Before you go in, they have the small versions of the statues that are apparently in WDW, the spirit of Adventure, the spirit of innovation, the spirit of education, etc. So you start there, sit and watch the American experience that is the Lincoln show, both the preshow and the Lincoln speech, then when you exit, those pictures are supposed to represent MORE "spirit of" Americans. So yes, some photos of Armed Forces men and women would also make sense, but so do Actors, Singers, Elected Officials, important men and women from our country that represent various "spirits" of their own.

Leave a comment:

• PirateMickey
    replied

Originally posted by PLAZAINN1 View Post
    I wonder if the Disney execs and the marketing dept. would listen and act upon these comments about their mistakes??? Probably not!!!

Just because a few folks here and on other internet fan sites might think it is a mistake, it doesn't necessarily mean it is one.

And first they would have to admit the mistake...

Like you said, "probably not!!!".

Leave a comment:

• hurricanecolby !
    replied

awe. yaaa. that show is one of my fondest memories with my parents. i can't wait to see it again. i'm glad it's lookin' good.

Leave a comment:

• PLAZAINN1
    replied

I wonder if the Disney execs and the marketing dept. would listen and act upon these comments about their mistakes??? Probably not!!!

Leave a comment:

• Ortizmo2000
    replied

My sentiments exactly. I can see Pres. Obama's pic being there, but why that supreme court justice, whatever her name is. What has she done???
    Personally, I dont think any recent politician should be up there as I feel that honesty and integrity in our public officials seems to have eroded away in the last 40 years...to say nothing of a lame-o corporate marketing tool. The idea that the names of soldiers we've lost in combat should be displayed - I can't possibly agree more with that sentiment. The entire Lincoln attraction should be devoted to this country's history and legacy and should be treated with reverence and respect now that the Lincoln show has been restored.

Miley Cyrus?? Seriously? They did this???
    Last edited by Ortizmo2000; 12-28-2009, 07:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• disneyDragon923
    replied

Originally posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Even her father, Billy Ray Cyrus, has more established creds.
    That's for sure! I mean without Billy, there would be no Miley... and I don't mean like that, get your heads out of the gutter people :lol:

Leave a comment:

• GummiBears_Rock
    replied

you know, this is one of only 2 attractions that i haven't seen and/or been on in disneyland, but when i was there it wasn't open yet, so i have an excuse hahaha

Leave a comment:

• bfdf55
    replied

Originally posted by disneyDragon923 View Post
    I totally agree with the both of you, and it's not Hanna Montana, it's Hanna Montshama. I mean come on, give me a break... MJ, Elvis and the Beatles totally changed music and what has she done for music? MJ's music changed Pop forever, The Beatles changed Rock, and Elvis just plain changed music. If you ask me, there are WAY more deserving people that deserve to be up there... like Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson for example. But Hanna Montana, I mean what's next... Britney Spears.
    Even her father, Billy Ray Cyrus, has more established creds.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied

Has anyone given a listen to my suggestion of honoring the men and women who laid their lives down for our freedoms, so we can enjoy the music you are talking about. They are far more important to honor that Elvis and the Beatles, don't you think, not trying to detract from their contributions to the world.
    HERE- HERE- Your so RIGHT!
    That would mush more fitting......
    I think we need to put Bug in Disney ears and ask WHY NOT!

"Honoring the men and women who laid their lives" !
    Last edited by Eagleman; 12-26-2009, 04:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PLAZAINN1
    replied

My sentiments exactly. I can see Pres. Obama's pic being there, but why that supreme court justice, whatever her name is. What has she done???

Leave a comment:

• CAspace
    replied

Has anyone given a listen to my suggestion of honoring the men and women who laid their lives down for our freedoms, so we can enjoy the music you are talking about. They are far more important to honor that Elvis and the Beatles, don't you think, not trying to detract from their contributions to the world.
    Agreed.
    Those are the pictures that should be on the wall.
    Not the music stars. What on earth do any of these people have to do with President Lincoln?

Leave a comment:

• PLAZAINN1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• disneyDragon923
    replied

Originally posted by CAspace View Post
    It is a great show, I am so glad it was done. Bravo to those responsible for the project.
    Although I do have a few gripes with the pictures in the hallway at the exit. Hanna Montana has NO PLACE being on that wall. Sorry to say.
    But everything else is pretty fantastic!
    Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
    Disney Sale's People have way to mess things up at the PARKS!
    They got nose..into every thing........
    Hanna Montana give me a break.....
    I totally agree with the both of you, and it's not Hanna Montana, it's Hanna Montshama. I mean come on, give me a break... MJ, Elvis and the Beatles totally changed music and what has she done for music? MJ's music changed Pop forever, the Beach Boys changed Rock, and Elvis just plain changed music. If you ask me, there are WAY more deserving people that deserve to be up there... like Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson for example. But Hanna Montana, I mean what's next... Britney Spears.
    Last edited by disneyDragon923; 12-27-2009, 10:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied

It is a great show, I am so glad it was done. Bravo to those responsible for the project.
    Although I do have a few gripes with the pictures in the hallway at the exit. Hanna Montana has NO PLACE being on that wall. Sorry to say.
    Disney Sale's People have way to mess things up at the PARKS!
    They got nose..into every thing........
    Hanna Montana give me a break.....

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied

Originally posted by micromind View Post
    I haven't been to DL since Lincoln opened, but I'd gladly stand in a long line to see it.

I remember it from years ago, it was one of my favorites. It reminds me of a time in history when the terms 'government by the people, for the people, and of the people' actually had some meaning.

Makes me wish I was born 100 years earlier than I was. During this presentation, I can actually live in the past, even if only for a short time.

Rob
    You must really love your History!
    I DO TOO!

Leave a comment:

• The Forbidden Eye
    replied

I wonder how many people don't know that Bruce Lee was born in the U.S. LOL.

Leave a comment:

• Casey Jr
    replied

There's not really a line for it, micromind. I thought it was really good, especially impressive when he stood up! :P it looked like he was going to fall!

Leave a comment:

• micromind
    replied

I haven't been to DL since Lincoln opened, but I'd gladly stand in a long line to see it.

I remember it from years ago, it was one of my favorites. It reminds me of a time in history when the terms 'government by the people, for the people, and of the people' actually had some meaning.

Makes me wish I was born 100 years earlier than I was. During this presentation, I can actually live in the past, even if only for a short time.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• PLAZAINN1
    replied

I totally agree with you on that one. I do not think that Supreme Judge's picture should be on the wall either, she has not done anything to benefit this country overall. They should have put Laurel & Hardy's photos on the wall, because they brought so much happiness to thousands during that Great Depression. What about some photos of men and women who laid down their lives in the preservation of our Freedoms, now that would have been a better tribute.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X