Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will George K. rescue DL's 55th, or is DL's Birthday Celebration already doomed?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Will George K. rescue DL's 55th, or is DL's Birthday Celebration already doomed?

When Matt Ouimet became president of Disneyland, he had one of the most un-enviable positions in the Disney Empire. Matt had to make sure DL would be guest ready for it's biggest party, since opening day. In addition, the Evil Emperor Eisner was still wielding dictatorial control of Disney, as President AND CEO. And DCA, which befell Pressler, and others, was a millstone noose around the entire Disneyland Resort. In addition, Disneyland and much of it's infastructure were rotting away to the core, due to abuse and neglect by Eisner and Pressler. The Tiki Room and Main Street Building (facades) were literally rotting away, Space Mt was in such horrible condition structurally, that it was shut down at a moments notice, pieces of the monorail beam and track were literally falling apart, the carrousel at DL had to undergo extensive repairs, But Matt was able to get DL all sparkly just in time,

For the 55th Birthday celebration, even DL fans are not expecting to have an all out Party, as there was for the 50th. BUT nonetheless, DL fans ARE expecting for DL to get the celebration it deserves. However, at this moment, NOTHING new is being planned in honore of the 55th. And yes, the 55th is a significant number, to Disneyland. Even merchandising, (as lame as it has become recently) is aware of this fact, as they have already placed DL 55th sweatshirt/t-shirts on sale. The major concern is the DL entertainment has nothing special planned for the 55th.

What is DL getting? Well, we will find out very soon. Some rumors over the past year is that the birthday hats with the fake flowers on Main Street Lamps, and artificial balloons, and faux invitation at Christmas Tree point, will be the re-used party decorations for DLs 55th. CRAP! Remember when DL actually did do specific decorations, for specific anniversaries? Let's HOPE the new president of DL is aware of this issue, and doesn't expect DL to celebrate, with leftovers from 2009.

The main issue for the 55th comes down to "Will Disneyland be getting a REAL NEW PARADE for it's 55th Birthday?" THIS is going the be the 1st main issue the George K. is going to have to make a stand for! 2009 sadly marked the 1st summer in eons, that DL did NOT have a REAL parade at ALL! In 2010, THAT NEEDS TO CHANGE! The leftover street party was never good enough to begin with, and even when they added the opening and closing units, halfway through the year, it was still only seen as a half-baked thing in the street, and the units in the "party' were seen as lame, and cheap, unimpressive, with a viewing area less than half of the previous full out parade. WHY is is so difficult for management at DL to see that GUESTS EXPECT DL to HAVE A REAL PARADE?

Is it too late for the new President George K., to rescue Disneyland's 55th Birthday? OR will George K. bring us renewed hope that Disneyland is still THE theme park, for all other to look up to.

And will George K. be able to bring back the entertainment Department from it's set backs over the past few years? That being, bringing back a good show to the Fantasyland Theater, that of Keeping Toy Story OUT OF THE HYPERION THEATER!, Can George K. Get the DL 55th Parade back on track again? If not, DL is doomed to go down in the ranks of amusement parks in the U.S.

There is hope for DL entertainment, they just have to have the right kind of show, in order to prove it. And it's well recognized, that Tiana's Showboat Jubilee is a prime example of DL being able to bring us some unique and Fantastic entertainment! However, it's frustrating and sad that a show like this may not be coming back. And it's sad that DL thinks they should try to "get away" with something as half baked and ill-conceived as the street party. And now management thinks Toy Story is a "good idea" for the Hyperion????

George K. needs to step in immediately and correct the deficiancies of the live entertainment department, and move it out of the wrong way it is currently headed, and get it moving in the right direction!

George K. can you step up to the batter's box, and hit it out of the park? It's your time to show that Disneyland DOES STILL CARE about the entertainment it provides, AND that Disneyland WILL CELEBRATE it's 55th Birthday, not just some random, generic, unknown celebration!
    Last edited by Aladdin; 12-26-2009, 11:00 PM.
    Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
    An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
    Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
    Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Re: Will George K. rescue DL's 55th, or is DL's Birthday Celebration already doomed?

My thoughts:

55th Birthday is not as important as a 50th or upcoming 60th. So to answer your question DO NOT expect a lot.

Q1 Jan through March - You get the return of Captain EO and World of Color
    Q2 April through June - You get the return of the Main St Electrical Parade and more than likely a new summer firework show (Updated Remember Show ;D)
    Q3 July through September - same as above... my guess is that EO will last till the end of the year
    Q4 October through December - Return of Halloween with even more and Christmas with a Holiday Tiki Room (jk.. i can dream)

Comment

Re: Will George K. rescue DL's 55th, or is DL's Birthday Celebration already doomed?

I understand what you're saying, but as a guest who does not care for parades, I'd rather they put that money into something else, or forget it entirely. I've never really understood the appeal of parades, especially when there are other things to do,and honestly it's impossible to watch one at DL unless you're willing to spend half a day just sitting on a curb.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisal73 View Post
        My thoughts:

55th Birthday is not as important as a 50th or upcoming 60th. So to answer your question DO NOT expect a lot.

Q1 Jan through March - You get the return of Captain EO and World of Color
        Q2 April through June - You get the return of the Main St Electrical Parade and more than likely a new summer firework show (Updated Remember Show ;D)
        Q3 July through September - same as above... my guess is that EO will last till the end of the year
        Q4 October through December - Return of Halloween with even more and Christmas with a Holiday Tiki Room (jk.. i can dream)
        I personally (somewhat agree). I won't expect a lot for 2010, not because of the 55th being not important (heck, Disneyland opened in 1955, so having something with the 55th anniversary could be a good marketing campaign), but because they have so many resources focused on different areas of the resort: DLH renovation and DCA rebuild.

I would say that for the most part, don't expect too much.

As far as the schedule posted above, I speculate somewhat different. I'm guessing that Remember would play after the Christmas season till the start of Summer. Summer marks the return of Magical and then halloween and christmas carries their themed shows.

and Holiday Tiki...doubtful. EO sticking around, most likely (until at least they have a proper - or in other words, something new - to replace HISTA).

Comment

yeah i'm not expecting a lot because i don't think i'll be there. unless i get invited to my bf's friend's wedding, i heard it was going to be at disneyland
          Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
          You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
          Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

I couldn't disagree more with you about the parades. The less parades the better.
            :blink: Bullets for Breakfast :blink:
            Join the party. Face the music.

Comment

Originally posted by manifest View Post
              I couldn't disagree more with you about the parades. The less parades the better.
              I'm more inclined to agree with that point of view.

Things I'd like to see....

A Tomorrowland where you see things actually happening and moving on different levels...in other words, something like it was pre-1998

More restaurants with better quality food and table service.

Why do people have to think they have to spend time and valuable resources on another "birthday" until the 75th? I don't get the every five years thing.
              God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                But Matt was able to get DL all sparkly just in time,
                I don't think Matt had a whole lot to do with the 50th, since most of the plans for that celebration were being worked on for years by Pressler and WDI.

Let's HOPE the new president of DL is aware of this issue, and doesn't expect DL to celebrate, with leftovers from 2009.
                I really don't think that George, or Matt before him for that matter, have any real say on how Disneyland celebrates/promotes itself. Most of that type of decision making was moved to Burbank when Paul moved up there around 2000.

The main issue for the 55th comes down to "Will Disneyland be getting a REAL NEW PARADE for it's 55th Birthday?" THIS is going the be the 1st main issue the George K. is going to have to make a stand for!
                I am perfectly fine with Disneyland not having a parade at all. The last four or five of them have just been hideous.

Can George K. Get the DL 55th Parade back on track again? If not, DL is doomed to go down in the ranks of amusement parks in the U.S.
                Hyperbole. Disneyland doesn't need a parade. They have the street party now, which seems pretty darn popular enough. Adding a new parade would only accomplish making the park more crowded than it already is, and NO ONE wants to see that.

Toy Story replacing Aladdin? Aladdin is great but it's ancient now as far as theater shows go and it needs to be replaced. It's being replaced by Toy Story because Toy Story is hugely popular - that's what folks want to see.

Disneyland's entertainment is fine. It's the right mix for the right time.

Comment

Look at all the people lining up for DL's Christmas Parade. Of course the crowds expect DL to have a parade. And yes, some people might not be parade viewers, BUT parades add to the variety and type of entertainment that is offered by DL. Of the most recent parades, most have been very successful:

Parade of Dreams (2005-2008) the 50th parade was beautifully done, and different song/music was also integrated for each section of the parade. a success

Parade of Stars (2000 - 2004) one of Disney's most painful parades, that well overstayed it's welcome, just one soundloop for the entire parade, and the first soundloop was so poorly received, that a generic loop was rushed and replace the original soundtrack. And why on earth did they have gold as one of the main colors for this parade, when the 50th was coming up? And guests in tutus for the entire length of the parade, even make it more painful. Yes this was a failure.

Mulan (1998 - 1999 ) Another exceptional parade that was given extremely high marks and great reviews. Just as the Lion King celebration brought a bit of African savanah to Main Street, Mulan brought China to Main Street in a remarkable parade, with extremely talented performers!

Hercules' Victory Parade (1997-1998) A very well done parade, some of the most unique elements and puppetry in a Disney Parade, up to that point in time, and different soundtracks for each section of the parade. An exceptional parade.

Lion King Celebration (1993-1997) One of Disneyland's most successful parades in it's history. Brought the feel of Lion King, with unique presentation and cohesive parade with the variety of puppets/animatronics, and unique costuming.

So, of the 5 most recent parades offered by Disneyland, 4 of them have been successful! Only one, Parade of Stars, was a dud, primarily due to it overstaying it's welcome, and the lack of sufficient soundtrack.

(of course, have to point out that not even Disneyland considered Celebrate - a street party, nor Light Magic as Parades, and they have attempted PAINFULLY to insist that they are not parades, so they are not parades, they are only street shows, but why go to the expense of just a street show, when more people can be entertained with a turning it into a full parade, with real parade units? And of course, these failed (lightmagic), and downgraded (celebrate) shows have a MUCH smaller viewing capacity.)

These parades are something that really are enjoyed by people of all ages, from the kids who are barely old enough to walk, to the most senior of citizens, who otherwise are not tall enough to enjoy some attraction, or are not strong enough to take a plunge on Splash or Space Mt. By removing these parades, DL is taking away a significant part of Disneyland entertainment, where families from 5 to 95 can enjoy time together.

Although I appreciate the short list Brisal73 has:
                  EO - for Tomorrowland - although I consider this just a short term filler. Nothing to really make a mark for the 55th.
                  World of Color - Sorry, but this is about celebrating DL's 55th, not DCA's path to correcting the errors of it's founding imagineers

Return of the MSEP - if it does come back to DL, this poor parade that that has travelled all over the country, comes back to rescue the opening years of DCA, and then finally gets some minor attention last year, gets some of the favorite units tossed out,, in favor of units that were removed from the parade several years ago, And only to really get one new float, . . . . Sorry, but the MSEP needed MUCH more attention than what it was given. AND NEW Units and segments needed to be added. Not just adding some artificial pixie dust lighting, this parade needed some REAL updates! The MSEP coming back to DL, unless it's given some major upgrades, it's not adding anything by moving it from DCA to DL.

They updated summer fireworks show, not expecting much from it as the 50th Fireworks show was so spectacular, and now with the restrictions placed by current entertainment management, we just won't have all the added firework locations, that were added for the 50th.

And for some reason, no one has yet mentioned or addressed the decorations or signs on the street lights, whether Disneyland will be getting special decorations marking it's 55th anniversary ~ as Disneyland has had for it's 5 year celebrations. Or if it's just leftovers.

I can believe mr liver saying "Disneyland doesn't need a parade". BUT I can't believe anyone in management at Disney who would dare say those words to the public. In fact, mr liver saying those words, so directly just proves that Disneyland DOES INDEED DESPERATELY NEED a REAL PARADE!
                  Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                  An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                  Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                  Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Lion King Celebration (2010-?) One of Disneyland's most successful parades in it's history. Brought the feel of Lion King, with unique presentation and cohesive parade with the variety of puppets/animatronics, and unique costuming.

Problem Solved

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head View Post
                      Lion King Celebration (2010-?) One of Disneyland's most successful parades in it's history. Brought the feel of Lion King, with unique presentation and cohesive parade with the variety of puppets/animatronics, and unique costuming.

Problem Solved
                      No. That parade ran its course and is dead. We need something new.

Comment

How about a parade of history? Taking the best elements from their most successful parades from the past and bringing them all together into a mash up? haha

Just kidding It'd probably be a total mess...

Comment

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                          Look at all the people lining up for DL's Christmas Parade. Of course the crowds expect DL to have a parade.
                          The the obvious and clear solution to the crowding problem is to NOT OFFER A PARADE AT ALL. Problem solved.

And yes, some people might not be parade viewers, BUT parades add to the variety and type of entertainment that is offered by DL. Of the most recent parades, most have been very successful:
                          Parades add to the variety, sure, but they are not the be all-end all of entertainment at Disneyland. Compared to the amount of people who wait for the fireworks or fantasmic, the parades have a very limited viewing area (what 3k to 4k?) and yet cost just as much to produce and operate. Compared to the cost and the effectiveness of smaller shows such as Jedi Training Academy and Tiana's Showboat, and the character meet n greets such as Pixie Hollow, there's just no way you can justify spending so much on a parade.

So, of the 5 most recent parades offered by Disneyland, 4 of them have been successful! Only one, Parade of Stars, was a dud, primarily due to it overstaying it's welcome, and the lack of sufficient soundtrack.
                          Yeah there have been some good parades, but the last two or three have all been random character mash ups. Parade of Dreams was really just Parade of Stars retooled.

Of course the reason why the character mash ups have been implemented is because Disney hasn't really had a good animated film for which to justify a new parade as a marketing expense. You're right though that the parades were better when they were just being used to market a new film release.

I can believe mr liver saying "Disneyland doesn't need a parade". BUT I can't believe anyone in management at Disney who would dare say those words to the public.
                          Disney management doesn't have to say it - they already made their thoughts clear when they had Parade of Dreams destroyed.

If they really thought they needed a parade, they would already have plans to add one, which I am sure they eventually will... someday. Maybe.

Comment

I would not mind a parade along the lines of Disney's Dreams on Parade Moving On at Tokyo Disneyland. It features floats that represent the different areas of the park including Toon Town and Critter Country. Each different area as well gets it's own character to go along with (Daisy = Main Street/Chip n Dale = Frontierland/Pluto = Critter Country) Not to mention the music is great:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLCOiwW1NVo]YouTube - Disney's Dreams on Parade 'Moving On' #3[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by MrLiver View Post

Parades add to the variety, sure, but they are not the be all-end all of entertainment at Disneyland. Compared to the amount of people who wait for the fireworks or fantasmic, the parades have a very limited viewing area (what 3k to 4k?) and yet cost just as much to produce and operate. Compared to the cost and the effectiveness of smaller shows such as Jedi Training Academy and Tiana's Showboat, and the character meet n greets such as Pixie Hollow, there's just no way you can justify spending so much on a parade.
                              The parade route can handle up to 14k a show I believe.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X