This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Problems with Pooh

A lot of people on these boards, including myself, have a problem with the Winnie the Pooh attraction. I am going to try and figure out exactly what is wrong with the ride.

First of all, the Critter Country setting isn't ideal for the attraction in this form. Critter Country maintains a very rustic and old world feel that works so well with its New Orleans Square and Frontierland neighbors. For example Splash Mountain has very earth toned colors and even though the characters are cartoons, they transfer very well into lifelike AA form. Pooh on the other hand is very vibrant with neon colors and very cartoony characters that aren't transferred well into lifelike form. The attraction as is doesn't work well with its rustic land and would be a better fit for Fantasyland. I have no problem with a Pooh attraction in Critter Country, but it has to be done right and fit in with its surroundings to work well.

Also, the story to Pooh is wind, rain, intoxication, birthday. What story in the world goes like that!? One of my friends hadn't been on Pooh, so I gave her a brief ride through and she was like, "How random! What does the birthday have to do with anything?" Tokyo's Pooh is very well done and has a descent storyline. Why can't that come here? It has the leaves hanging from the ceiling that mimic Splash Mountain's trees. It would work well to have the interiors of both rides look the same, just with different characters in the scenes. That is the way Disneyland should make Pooh.

My last problem is the nightmare scene. My little cousin is 4 years old and LOVES to go to the parks. We took her on Pooh and in the nightmare scene she had a meltdown. With all the neon and the creepy and tall jack-in-the-box things, the only rides she goes on now are Dumbo, the King Arthur's Carrousel, BLAB, and TSMM. The nightmare scene should be taken out completely and replaced with something much more cute and friendly. Even I, being 14 old get dizzy when I get to that scene.

Pooh can be a great attraction if more money was spent on fixing it up and helping it mirror the land is takes residence in.

Re: Problems with Pooh

Well, I think Pooh is a nice ride, but didn't it come after Tokyo Disneyland's Winnie the Pooh ride? That ride looks totally awesome! I hear kids of every single age will wait in that long line just to go on it. Well, if ours came after their's, then why can't ours be just as nice? It's a shame.
    I think for now the ride is okay, but I'd really appreciate it if they greatly changed the ride and improved it in the future.
    sigpic...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

Comment

I have yet to see the day I actually get on this ride.

From what I hear on MiceChat that day may never come.

Strangely, however, my dad of all people likes to take my half brother on that ride and says he has a good time. Hmm...

Comment

They could have done a better job imagineering the ride, certainly. It's the cheapo way to make an attraction; wood cutouts and blacklights. That's the reason most people are disappointed...that the geniuses who make attractions like HM or POTC would put so little effort into anything.

But if you don't understand the story, I'd suggest you watch the Disney DVD called "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh". Granted, they didn't do a great job making the story crystal clear, but it's clear enough for my 6 year old, so maybe small kids just 'get it' better than others.

And where did you see 'intoxication'?

Comment

the pooh ride we have now is a waterd down quick fix to sell more pooh crap, its a slap together rehash of tokyo..( tokyo does look alot better and has the trackless ride tech)..its in the wrong land,suffers from bad storytelling and ride execution and, i just think leaving the three heads on the wall as a left over was in really bad taste,.
          "Alright you primative screwheads listen up.."BRUCE CAMPBELL

Comment

i thought it was dumbo that was intoxicated, pooh had a dream about the heffalumps (they still scare me)

and i was (and still sorta am) obsessed with pooh. saw every episode, read every book (even the ones with classic naked pooh and green piglet), my bathroom is still winnie the pooh themed. so i understood the ride very much, and i love it, but i may just be blinded by poohness
            Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
            You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
            Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

"blinded by poohness" :-)
              That's just too cute. And as I read it, my son ran by waving a huge stuffed Pooh bear. The timing was awesome!

Comment

I disagree about the location of the attraction because I think critter country is perfect for the "100 Acre Woods" feel. I think the problem with it is that there is a lack of creativity and potential. If they just make it into a Pooh's honey Hunt like in TDL, then it would do extremely well.

Comment

For a second there, I thought this was a continuation of the toilet paper thread.

:mob:

Comment

Originally posted by Seant926 View Post
                    I disagree about the location of the attraction because I think critter country is perfect for the "100 Acre Woods" feel. .
                    Yeah, but A.A. Milne's 'Hundred Acre Woods' are in England, Critter Country is in Joel Chandler Harris' Louisiana.
                    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
                    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
                    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

If they tore down the one there is now and put in Hunny Hunt, it would be such a hit. Hunny Hunt is one of the best and most popular rides in TDR. I would not mind if they cloned HH and put it in at DLR.
                      Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

Comment

Critter Country Was originally BEAR COUNTRY. Winnie the Pooh replaced the country bear jamboree. I think Critter Country is a very nice fit for Winnie the Pooh, as long as the outside stays more rustic and then the inside transports you to the colorful world of A.A. Milne, which it does.
                        And Pooh's Hunny Hunt would be awesome! XD

Comment

Originally posted by Casey Jr View Post
                          Critter Country Was originally BEAR COUNTRY. Winnie the Pooh replaced the country bear jamboree. I think Critter Country is a very nice fit for Winnie the Pooh, as long as the outside stays more rustic and then the inside transports you to the colorful world of A.A. Milne, which it does.
                          And Pooh's Hunny Hunt would be awesome! XD
                          But Critter Country had a very southern feel and Pooh is anything but Southern.

Comment

by intoxication, i'm pretty sure the OP meant that disneyland just gave us a free acid trip.

Auroraflame put it best in another thread summarizing Pooh with: "You've just hallucinated.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! :blink:"
                            -plagued

Comment

Originally posted by plagued View Post
                              by intoxication, i'm pretty sure the OP meant that disneyland just gave us a free acid trip.
                              Yeah that is what I meant. Sorry for not making myself clear.
                              The Huffalumps and Woozles scene just reminds me of a drunken nightmare(not like I've ever had one).

Comment

For those of you not familiar with The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh, it very easy to see why it would seem completely random. I will agree though, it could have been better. There needs to be a better version of it, or at least another attraction of its entirety. Whether it will happen or not is another story.

Comment

Screw Pooh! Bring back Henry.

Comment

Even though the Heffalump and Woozle scene is done pretty poorly in the Disneyland Pooh attraction, I have always loved the song and bizarre fun of it all. I wish everything wasn't so flat and cheap looking in there, but I would never want to see the scene disappear...no way. Like said before, it's essential from The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Even when I was real young, I have always loved the bizarre and creepy Heffalump and Woozle stuff.
                                    http://www.facebook.com/silverpsycho
                                    Always looking for new Disney friends.

Comment

Originally posted by sunrider View Post
                                      i just think leaving the three heads on the wall as a left over was in really bad taste,.
                                      That Max, Buff & Melvin you mention, was left there as a tribute to what used to be there. In WDW's Pooh ride, there's a pic of Mr Toad handing the deed to Toad Hall to Owl, as Mr Toad was evicted for Orlando's Pooh ride. Still doesn't make it any better though.

And since Disneyland isn't run by OLC (Oriental Land Company), you'll never see a ride the caliber of Pooh's Hunny Hunt at Disneyland or WDW. OLC knows no limits with budget when they do their rides. Which is why Toyko Disneyland & DisneySEA will always be the best-run Disney parks in the world.

Comment

Disney could learn something from the OLC. I hope the tear down pooh and give us Hunnny Hunt! I think it may fit a little better in Fantasyland though, shape wise in addition to Hunny Hunt's Storybook Facade.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X