This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Narrator for Mr. Linclon?

Wondering if anyone knows who does the narration for Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln? His voice is so familiar.

Re: Narrator for Mr. Linclon?

The guy with a really deep voice? It's the late, great Paul Frees.

He can also be heard as the Ghost Host in the Haunted mansion.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Comment

Is it Paul Frees or Thurl Ravencroft? I thought I heard his name mentioned in the show...
      "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

Comment

He should seem familiar; he's the Ghost Host in HM, Paul Frees. Also the narrator of Adventure Thru Inner Space, the Auctioneer, "pooped pirate", and others in POTC, and others.

Comment

I only recognized the voice from the narrator in the Sleeping Beauty film. But yeah, it should be Paul frees.

The world is a treasure trove of places.
          The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
          Indy Ride Count: 2211
          World of Color Count: 74

Comment

Last edited by ttrocc7007; 12-29-2009, 08:12 AM. Reason: miner spellink erurs...
            First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
            First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
            BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

I'm so happy to hear that Frees was brought back for the voice as the narrator. To me Frees and Dano are the true voices of that show.

As some added fun as well:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iljrlLoiANg]YouTube - Paul Frees - Complete Ghost Host Recording Session (1/3)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikyvwuAKxVo]YouTube - Paul Frees - Complete Ghost Host Recording Session (2/3)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vLavMbBqRU]YouTube - Paul Frees - Complete Ghost Host Recording Session (3/3)[/ame]

Comment

Thanks! I also think of him as the voice of Disney, I just never knoew his name. I love this board, so many people always willing to help! Thanks again!

Comment

It's funny that the original "War of the Worlds" (Starring the later Gene Barry) was not mentioned. There is one scene while all the army people and the scientists are waiting for the Atomic Bomb to be dropped on the Martians from the Flying Wing. There is a radio broadcaster walking around the area and recording a show to be broadcast later. The actor walking is not Paul Frees but the voice is his. It had to be overdubbed for whatever reason but that voice is just so recognizable. It's only on screen for a minute or so maybe less, but it is him doing the talking.
                  Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Boy View Post
                    It's funny that the original "War of the Worlds" (Starring the later Gene Barry) was not mentioned.
                    It was:

To see him perform on screen, check out the feature film 'War of the Worlds' from the 1950's.

Comment

Who does the voice of Mr Lincoln? A recent American Heritage issue states that he had a high voice and a hick-like accent. I guess some artistic license is allowed?

Comment

Lincoln's voice is by Royal Dano.

I think the two major voices in Disneyland is (IMO) is Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees.
                        DisneyTwins
                        Since May 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
                          Lincoln's voice is by Royal Dano.

I think the two major voices in Disneyland is (IMO) is Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees.

There's a rather famous episode of The Rifleman (showing my age here again) called 'Honest Abe' in which a slightly addled guy who believes he is Abraham Lincoln is played by Royal Dano. It's almost like seeing Great Moments with a live actor!
                          As to Thurl, he was indeed a Disney fave and can even be heard for one or two moments as one of the singing voices in the film Nightmare Before Christmas. He's in a TON of Disney films (or at least his voice is) from the early 1950's onward. Still, the only place I can recall actually seeing him (aside from still pictures) is as a singing bust in the Haunted Mansion.
                          I was recently listening to an episode of the Jack Benny Program from the early 1940's (radio, that was the voices with no pictures thingie) when 'The Sportsman Quartet' began singing a Lucky Strike commercial. I sure recognized ol' Thurl, went running to the Googles and found that he sure enough was a 'Sportsman' even before he was a 'Mellow Man.'
                          I still miss his Mark Twain spiel as well.
                          First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
                          First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
                          BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

I was actually looking up Royal Dano. He looks shockingly like Lincoln, which is kinda funny.
                            DisneyTwins
                            Since May 2003

Comment

Paul Freez was the original narrator. Corey Burton was the narrator for revamped 2001 version of the show. The current installment of the show, places Paul Frees firmly back in his rightful place as narrator.

Comment

Originally posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
                                There's a rather famous episode of The Rifleman (showing my age here again) called 'Honest Abe' in which a slightly addled guy who believes he is Abraham Lincoln is played by Royal Dano. It's almost like seeing Great Moments with a live actor!
                                That's a great episode of "The Rifleman", I've wondered if that is where Disney got the idea for Dano as Lincoln. Speaking of "The Rifleman" Johnny Crawford's (Mark, the riflemans son) dad posts on these boards from time to time.

Comment

Ok then.
                                  -- So the narrator at GMWML (& Ghost Host at Mansion) is Paul Frees
                                  -- The voice of Pres Lincoln is Royal Dano
                                  -- Thurl Ravenscroft is Tony the Tiger and used to the be live narrator of the Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach (along with the Disneyland RR?)
                                  -- Who's, The voice of Disneyland? All the PA announcements for parades and such?
                                  So many famous voice actors and now my head is spinnin. ;-D

Comment

Jack Wagner is one of the more famous Disneyland annoucers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Wagner_(announcer)

Comment

Yes,
                                      if you watched a lot of Christmas shows (60's) you'll def hear Frees.
                                      He being Jack Frost in Frosty the Snowman: Winter Wonderland (the true sequel to Frosty) you can really see his depth of voice talent.
                                      Quote by Al:
                                      To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                                      -Al Lutz

Comment

I recognized him from all the Christmas movies and specials that have been playing lately. He seems to have a really versatile voice, because he can play the deep-voiced Ghost Host or the high-pitched joker-like Jack Frost in some Frosty movies.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X