This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Pictures] Paradise Pier at Disney's California Adventure - Pictures

My picture threads consist of images I have taken that focus on the architecture, landscape architecture, planning, design, and theming of the facilities highlighted. They may also contain short descriptions and commentary, but will not focus on construction progress or special events or memorabilia or food selections or my traveling companions. Hopefully these threads are a good introduction for those who have not seen these places yet. All killer, no filler!

Paradise Pier photographed in December 2008:
    In just one year, many of my pictures of this land are obsolete due to the many changes being constructed here! This land celebrates the old-time seaside amusement parks of the state and its walkways form a loop around a large central lake ('Paradise Bay') that stands in for the Pacific Ocean. The land is being partially rethemed to further celebrate the late-Victorian era. Most of the many attractions here are standard amusement rides with above-average detailing added. In a rare instance of a Disney park using 'borrowed' scenery, the top of the blocky tower of Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel outside the park is clearly (and deliberately) visible.

Entry Sign:

Ariel's Grotto:
    This fanciful dining and bar building sits on the shore of Paradise Bay, which was drained last year prior to the construction of the World of Color show which will use the lake as its stage.

King Triton's Carousel:
    This merry-go-round and the nearby dining building have already established a Little Mermaid film theme within this land; nearby, a former film attraction building has been razed to build a much larger building for a new dark ride based on the Little Mermaid.

California Screamin':
    This steel rollercoaster with a launch and vertical loop is made to look like a more traditional wooden rollercoaster of an earlier era. Since these photos were taken, the Mickey head backdrop has been changed to be a round sun design topped by a giant 'Paradise Pier' sign.

Toy Story Midway Mania:
    The only dark ride in this land is a Pixar-themed ride through an interactive series of 3-D film 'arcades' featuring characters from the Toy Story films. It is an excellent combination of a movie franchise theme adapted to fit in to the existing games-of-skill theme of the boardwalk here.

Boardwalk:
    This area features several games and shops. Since last year, the games have been rethemed to Disney characters.

Maliboomer:
    At the end of the Boardwalk, this tall unimaginative three-tower-drop ride dominates the skyline while California Screamin's track soars around it and above the games and shops.

Sun Wheel:
    Captured as it was being re-themed, this is now Mickey's Fun Wheel with an older-style Mickey head in place of the sun. California Screamin' and Maliboomer form the backdrop and the drained Paradise Bay is the bottom, which when filled creates a great refective surface at night for all the lights on the structures.

Orange Stinger:
    This abstract shell enclosed a traditional swing ride and refered to the state's famous citrus crop. The ride is currently being rethemed to Symphony Swings with an early Disney cartoon theme.

Jumpin' Jellyfish:

Golden Zephyr:

Mulholland Madness:
    A small area of Paradise Pier has more of a roadside-attraction theme with a few shops, food stands, and this madmouse-style rollercoaster partially concealed by abstract road graphics on billboard-like panels. This attraction is pure junk; the Goofy Flight School retheming that it is due to receive in the future will hopefully help.

Sunglass Shack:
    This roadside-attraction themed small shop has been razed.

S.S. rustworthy:
    This play area centered around a fireboat has been razed.

Pizza Oom Mow Mow:
    This surf shack eatery will be rethemed to a Victorian Beer Garden along with an adjacent burger-shaped former food stand.

Enjoy!

Re: Paradise Pier at Disney's California Adventure - Pictures

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.
    Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Thanks for these great shots, Geomorph!

Comment

Geomorph as always, nice pictures and thanks for sharing all your great work!

Comment

Do you have pics of Mali-burritos?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
          http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Coheteboy, sorry no pics of Mali-burritos!

Comment

I really like the daylight to night light comparisons on a lot of those pictures, I noticed how different everything looks there at night, it's so cool!
              Yaye!

Comment

It's also nice to have some pictures of the "old" area to compare with the new version being worked on right now. Quite a difference in the way things used to look compared to the new Victorian look of Paradise Pier, along with things no longer there. I was beginning to forget what things looked like. You will need to update these pictures when things are done to compare them side by side. Great pictures by the way.
                Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Comment

I love all the night and day comparisons you have. Here's a few of my photos:

Comment

The pictures are so great, thank you for sharing!

Comment

So glad so much of that is gone - to bad they didn't do it right the first time. It would have cost a LOT less. Can't wait for more to disappear.

One thing I will say, the Orange Stinger did have unique themed music, or should I say buzzing. And it's too bad they couldn't keep the originally bee seat covers on the ride. However it's great a couple of the giant eyesores are gone (orange and dinosaur) I'm just not thrilled they have to put a different swing ride disguise up again, though.
                      Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                      An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                      Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                      Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Aladdin, my take on the visual offenses of Paradise Pier is the Maliboomer, it adds an unnecessary distraction from the California Screamin'/Mickey's Fun Wheel composition.

Comment

i finally see the difference between the before screamin' and after screamin, and i literally said "nooooooooooooooooooo" i loved the obvious hidden mickey, and i don't really like the mickey fun wheel either
                          Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
                          You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
                          Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

Great pictures!

I haven't been in a while (but I'll be there in a few days) so let me get this straight... they replaced the giant sun with a Mickey head (s/fun wheel) and replaced the Mickey head with a giant sun (Screamin')?

Comment

Originally posted by Madame_Leota View Post
                              I haven't been in a while (but I'll be there in a few days) so let me get this straight... they replaced the giant sun with a Mickey head (s/fun wheel) and replaced the Mickey head with a giant sun (Screamin')?
                              You got that right.

Comment

If you don't love Mickey's Fun Wheel with a big pie eyed Mickey smilling down at you then you are not a Disney Fan at all. I break into a big grin every time I come around the corner and that wonderful rendition of Mickey Mouse smiling down on us just makes me so glad to be there. If you don't like it, then don't go. It's just like movies or TV. If you don't like the movie, then don't go to the theater to see it. If you don't like the TV show then change the channel. Nobody is forcing you to look at something you don't like. How can anyone in this group say they don't like Mickey Mouse?
                                Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Boy View Post
                                  If you don't love Mickey's Fun Wheel with a big pie eyed Mickey smilling down at you then you are not a Disney Fan at all. I break into a big grin every time I come around the corner and that wonderful rendition of Mickey Mouse smiling down on us just makes me so glad to be there. If you don't like it, then don't go. It's just like movies or TV. If you don't like the movie, then don't go to the theater to see it. If you don't like the TV show then change the channel. Nobody is forcing you to look at something you don't like. How can anyone in this group say they don't like Mickey Mouse?

Oh, I wouldn't go THAT far. For me, I love Mickey and I do like how it looks at night and all that, but I'm in the camp that didn't want that change either. It's Disney forcing Mickey down our throats. There's no way to avoid the Fun Wheel from any perspective so you can't just "not go to DCA" if you don't like something.

Comment

great pictures. There is one thing i noticed in many of those pictures that really bugs me. The amount of burnt out lights allover the boardwalk. They really need to have someone sit walk thru the area and make note of every light fixture that is burnt out.

I really like the inside of the shops at the boardwalk. I would not even mind it if they went ahead and just redid the outside and left the inside as is for a while. The theming is pretty clever inside of those stores

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Boy View Post
                                      okay JerrodDRagon I think a few people will get the joke

Comment

I think it is wise that they did not have mickey heads on both the Fun Wheel and California Screamin'!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X