Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] New projection in Haunted Mansion?

I went on HM today and my boyfriend pointed out a projection I had not noticed before. It's right on the wall where you enter the room, but you can't see it until you're on the opposite side about to go into the ballroom scene. It's a large slightly animated projection of a skeleton/ghost looking guy that looks pretty creepy. Does anyone know if this is new or have we simply not seen something so obvious on our last two dozen HM rides?

Re: New projection in Haunted Mansion?

Yeah I know which one he saw, it's been there since at least last May...it's pretty cool and you have to be looking up mid way through the seance room {about underneath the musical instruments floating around}.

Comment

i actually saw it saturday and thought it was new, but then i remembered going last december and being stuck in that room for like 10 minnutes and that projection was giving me the creeps. so it is not new. but definitely cool

Comment

that's been there i think...2 years now? maybe slightly longer

and its become one of my fave parts of Mansion
        Will there be screams when the sun sets,
        -=Is It October Yet?=-

Originally posted by Tinkermonkey
        elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
        Originally posted by pratt55
        Elly is adorkable.

Comment

Is Leota floating?
          WDW Vacationer-Vacationing November 21-22,2009!

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!

Comment

^ not from what I've heard around the forum
            Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
            July 13th-18th
            November 19th-25th

Comment

Originally posted by WDW Vacationer View Post
              Is Leota floating?
              No. She's not been floating since last May.

Thanks to everyone for the replies... I guess either we had just been missing the projection or it wasn't on when we've ridden previously. And it's good to know I'm not the only one a bit creeped out by it!

Comment

The projection has been there for several years now.

And Leota is not floating. I prefer her not to be floating anyway so I'm happy with that.

Comment

If this is the one you're talking about, the effect has been there since the Haunted Mansion opened in 1969, however it didn't have the face image until 2005. Before 2005 it was just a small indistinct spot that moved around and left a trail behind it.

The effect is created this way: there is a translucent wall there, painted with phosphorescent paint (paint that contains zinc sulfide, which glows in the dark a pale green). The same substance that is used in anything you buy that "glows in the dark." Behind the wall is a mechanical arm that has a small light on the end. The arm moves slowly around the wall, and where the light strikes the phosphorescent paint, it glows a pale green, and continues to glow for a while even after the light leaves that spot. Thus there is a pale green trail showing the recent path of the light.

Until 2005, it was simply a round green spot produced by a small light. I remember seeing it as a kid when I went through the Haunted Mansion. For the 50th anniversary of Disneyland in 2005, one of the changes made was to have the light project a ghostly face rather than just a general indistinct spot. There is some kind of small projector attached to the moving mechanical arm, and it alternates between several faces of certain Haunted Mansion characters. It is not focused exactly on the wall, to give a blurred, ghostly image rather than a crisp sharp image. As it moves around, it also leaves a trail of green glow in the same image, since it's the same type of phosphorescent paint being used to create the glow.

More information about it is at the bottom of this page:
                  DoomBuggies > Explore the history and marvel at the mystery of Disney's Haunted Mansion attractions!

Comment

Hmm that may have been the one, Bob. I don't think it was green, though. It was more of a tan color and it was stationary... perhaps about a four foot tall projection.

Comment

now that you mention it..i saw it to in 2005 but in recent years it seems they have made it more noticable,its a nice subtle, creepy effect. something i think they should do more of
                      "Alright you primative screwheads listen up.."BRUCE CAMPBELL

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post

If this is the one you're talking about, the effect has been there since the Haunted Mansion opened in 1969, however it didn't have the face image until 2005. Before 2005 it was just a small indistinct spot that moved around and left a trail behind it.

The effect is created this way: there is a translucent wall there, painted with phosphorescent paint (paint that contains zinc sulfide, which glows in the dark a pale green). The same substance that is used in anything you buy that "glows in the dark." Behind the wall is a mechanical arm that has a small light on the end. The arm moves slowly around the wall, and where the light strikes the phosphorescent paint, it glows a pale green, and continues to glow for a while even after the light leaves that spot. Thus there is a pale green trail showing the recent path of the light.

Until 2005, it was simply a round green spot produced by a small light. I remember seeing it as a kid when I went through the Haunted Mansion. For the 50th anniversary of Disneyland in 2005, one of the changes made was to have the light project a ghostly face rather than just a general indistinct spot. There is some kind of small projector attached to the moving mechanical arm, and it alternates between several faces of certain Haunted Mansion characters. It is not focused exactly on the wall, to give a blurred, ghostly image rather than a crisp sharp image. As it moves around, it also leaves a trail of green glow in the same image, since it's the same type of phosphorescent paint being used to create the glow.

DoomBuggies > Explore the history and marvel at the mystery of Disney's Haunted Mansion attractions!
                        Yeah, I saw him awhile go
                        and remember that it did replace the light that moved around (with the "tail")
                        Quote by Al:
                        To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                        -Al Lutz

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post

Is it still a glowing dot in WDW? I was there in August, and riding The Mansion I was always annoyed by the stupid moving green dot on the wall...
                          -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

You know, I'd love to find out if the floating Leota is gone or not. If she's gone, they could be working on a rear projection version like at WDW (which, by the way, looks insanely better).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X