This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TL Sounds, Colors, and Hope

Has anyone seen the new paint on Buzz yet? I went today to see it and it was GLORIOUS. (Couldnt get any decent pics, I got there a little bit late.) I really can't wait for the rest of TL to be finished. I have so much hope for that corner of the park now. I already posted this but I was also there on Monday and there was a break in the rain and a double rainbow appeared over TomorrowLand. I was inspired. The Buzz exit and FastPass areas are also visible now. They look amazing as well. The music is turned up quite loudly and the atmosphere of the area is definitely picking up...now what to do with that People Mover track...
    You would think that being in New York for eight months out of the year would be cool...not when the closest thing you have to Disneyland is the World of Disney Store on Madison.

Atmosphere music? You mean the music that plays from the Observatron platform? If they can get that thing working and paint Star Trader and Autopia's handrails, things will really be looking good!

Comment

Last edited by Pirate Wench; 04-26-2005, 08:18 PM.

Comment

pictures Please!!!
        (insert funny comment here)

Comment

I wasn't sure which tomorrowland thread to choose to post this interesting story, but since this one is about colors and hope it seemed the most appropriate. So here is the amazing but true story of what happened at my job last night (I work the grave shift).

We had a few hours of downtime at work, and since such occurance tends to happens once or twice a month I always bring some DVDs with me. This time I brought the Tomorrowland DVD with me. A couple of co-workers seemed interested in it and decided to watch it with me. Now it should be mentioned that one co-worker was from Michigan and the other from Alabama. Both have been only to WDW once or twice a long time ago. Neither are big Disney gurus or have that much interest in the Disney parks (though they do look back at their visits with fondness). They are both between the ages of 18-20 females who consider themselves "Generation X'ers". I mention this to show that they are one of the prime target audience groups sought by marketers.
          Intially they were interested to watch the DVDs so as to poke fun at the way society thought what the future was comprised of in the 50's and 60's. The first program we watched was Walt's presentation for the original idea of EPCOT. To my surprise, my co-workers were completly fascinated by this concept! They were truly intrigued, and found the concept a wonderful idea. Furthermore (while neither has a recollection of the PM/TTA at WDW), they found the Wedway PM to be a unique and awesome idea. After the program was over, they couldn't believe how gutless Disney was after Walt's death to never have gone forward with it. They found the idea relevant for today, and wished Disney would go forward with the idea. Following this, we watched the Man In Space series on the first disc. Again to my surprise, instead of poking fun at it (which was their original idea) they were saddened at what we once looked forward to and where we are at now.
          For the remaining 6 hours of the shift, the three of us talked about the ideas of the future. When I explained to them the changes at TL that took place in '98, and how it went to a Future That Never Was theme, they found it dumb and a total lack of imagination and creativity. They couldn't believe that DL would cast away the PM (which was their favorite thing in all the programs).
          I did explain that TL, under CM Matt was getting new life breathed into it. But when I mentioned the Buzz Lightyear ride and the Subs returning with a Nemo overlay, they found this dumb, wondering what the concept had to do with tomorrow.
          The point in all this, is that here are two Generation X'ers who don't care on the level that we do about the Disney parks and Tomorrowland, but who did want to see a bright optimistic future that is, as Kevin Yee put it in his first article last week, reality based and not fantasy based. Furthermore, I think it goes to show just how out of touch Disney is with consumers (if I may use that word) and how there still is a desire from the public to see a "Great Big Beuatiful Tomorrw"
          If you read all this, sorry it was so long. I was just really amazed at the events that unfolded and thought they should be shared. Thanks for reading!
          Last edited by CA_Man_In_HI; 02-27-2005, 08:16 PM.

Comment

You know, I think that's awesome and it shows, as you say, how out of touch Disney is.
            Originally posted by drunkmom
            this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Remus
              pictures Please!!!
              Pretty please

Comment

See, I think there are two things going on. For one, I do think that, for a while, people were less optimistic about the future, and less receptive to the notion that it doesn't have to be like Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. I mean, there were a lot of people who were actually hoping Y2K would wipe us out. the theory goes that every time we reach a 00 year society panics and looks out for signs of its destruction, but add a third 0 and you're really asking for trouble.

For another, I think the DCA situation was probably weighing heavily on the minds of TDA. There hadn't been a new E ticket since, what, Indy, and this would be their last chance to try something grand for a while. And it did need to be something that wouldn't feel out of date before it could be worked on again. Makes sense.

But the project was doomed from the start. Not just one clone but two. Not just two clones, but a cloned movie and a cloned exhibit. and, for that matter, you have a third clone, AstroOrbiter, that's sort of a compound clone, taking Rocket Jets, moving it ground level like Dumbo, and adding a theme from DLP. Then we get one new original attraction, and it's done so poorly, it has to be closed. But you could probably forgive all that if it were well themed. GRR is one of the most popular parts of DCA, even though it only has the one ride. It's just a beautiful, well-executed environment. TL 98? Not even close. Unlike NOS, nothing compells you to look around, see if there are any side streets and alleys to explore. It's hard enough to ignore the mess you're already seeing.

I will appreciate ANY new color scheme, so long as it doesn't look dirty and rusted and ready to fall on you. What I've seen so far is spot on, and if the same people who worked on the Castle are working in TL, I have every fiath it will be great.
                See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
                78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Alright...because I'm always ever-so bored on the weekend and my friend REALLY wanted to go to the park, I went and grabbed a couple of pics for ya'll.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...BuzzNew005.jpg
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...BuzzNew004.jpg
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...BuzzNew010.jpg
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...BuzzNew009.jpg
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...BuzzNew002.jpg
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...BuzzNew001.jpg
                  You would think that being in New York for eight months out of the year would be cool...not when the closest thing you have to Disneyland is the World of Disney Store on Madison.

Comment

Flogging Morgy, thank you for the pictures.
                    Shocks
                    Pegs
                    Lucky!

Comment

I almost forgot the pic of the new uniform...

Comment

Thank you for posting the pictures!
                        Eglantine, Eglantine, oh how you shine!
                        I don't believe in giving animals ridiculous names. I call him Cosmic Creepers...
                        ...and if you've got no other choice, you know you can follow my voice...

Comment

A few more pics from Saturday...

http://dlfreak84.tripod.com/dlu
                          Joey AKA "dlfreak"
                          www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
                          If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
                          Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

Comment

Yay! I think the park is looking GREAT! and i like the new planter boxes in tomorrowland ... i am wondering if that gold fountain is like the whole ride vehicle golden thing??? mabye?
                            Originally posted by drunkmom
                            this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

Comment

It's ALIIIIIIIVE!!!

Oh, happy day!! Tomorrowland is coming back from the dead!!! My favorite area of the park is finally being revived.

I'm almost in tears here.
                              [email protected]

Comment

Geez, I'm all choked up too. It all looks fantastic. Now they just have to do the Orbiter and the entry spires up in chrome and gold. I thought this might be a good place to post my theoretical photo edits of what it could look like when it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascendant
                                  Geez, I'm all choked up too. It all looks fantastic. Now they just have to do the Orbiter and the entry spires up in chrome and gold. I thought this might be a good place to post my theoretical photo edits of what it could look like when it's done.

ok, did u do that in photoshop because thats freaking PIMP, I actually thought they already painted the astro orbitor, it would look 1 million times better that way.. i also love the rocket rod in the background. And are they actually gonna do that with the astro orbitor? that would be as i said above a million times better. Those pictures are just awesome.
                                  (insert funny comment here)

Comment

WoW!! T/Land is really starting to come together. The old paint scheme was so dull & worn looking. It's amazing what a bit of TLC can do. Thanx for the pictures guys
                                    I'm just a bit more than Just Really Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Remus
                                      ok, did u do that in photoshop because thats freaking PIMP, I actually thought they already painted the astro orbitor, it would look 1 million times better that way.. i also love the rocket rod in the background. And are they actually gonna do that with the astro orbitor? that would be as i said above a million times better. Those pictures are just awesome.
                                      I opted to use Paintshop Pro for these ones because it runs faster on my computer. I dunno if they're gonna bother to do that with the Orbiter or not...I hope they do, don't you? Chrome is teh r0xx0r.

Comment

Anyone have Matt Ouimet's email?

In all seriuosness, Ascendant may want to release this to the public domain if we want then to do this. Disney Legal will put a "No" stamp on it otherwise because if they did, Ascendant would have to paid for the right for his/her work.

(Isn't the Internet grand, the one place gender a major unknown.)

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X