Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back in the early 90's, would you have embraced a new "ALIEN" inspired attraction?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Back in the early 90's, would you have embraced a new "ALIEN" inspired attraction?

Well, most of you know back in the late 80's early 90's, Tony Baxter and the gang tried brining Tomorrowland 1955 with three new attractions. One being "The Timekeeper" (Circle-Vision Bldg.) and the other being "Plectu's Fantastic Intergalactic Revue" (America Sings Bldg.) and the cornerstone attraction being Alien Encounter (Mission to Mars Bldg.) originally themed with 20th Century's "Alien" franchise being the theme. It was to be the next blockbuster movie attraction after Star Tours. The plans were obviously were foiled and it never came to be except in florida in a non "ALIEN" version Older Imagineers thought it would not fit in Disneyland because it would be too frightening for guests. Would you have liked for the Alien franchise attraction to actually come to the park, would you have accepted it or rejected it?
    Last edited by DL_CRAZE; 02-26-2010, 12:46 PM.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Re: Back in the early 90's, would you have embraced a new "ALIEN" inspired attraction

Absolutely and I still think they should.
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
    1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

Comment

Re: Back in the early 90's, would you have embraced a new "ALIEN" inspired attraction

I would actually have loved for the Alien Encounter to come here.

Maybe they should consider doing it again.

The world is a treasure trove of places.
      The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
      Indy Ride Count: 2211
      World of Color Count: 74

Comment

You might want to edit your post. It's Tomorrowland:2055 ... not Tomorrowland 1955.

The plans were obviously were foiled and it never came to be except in florida in a non "ALIEN" version Older Imagineers thought it would not fit in Disneyland because it would be too frightening for guests.
        Florida got exactly what DL would have received.
        If you read up on Alien Encounter ... you'll discover that when it opened in late 1994 ... it was not satisfactory. Ordered shut down. Retooled after a hiatus of several months .. and came back up AKA: Alien Encounter 2.0 .. with more visual effects .. since it's primary goal was an audio show. With it taking place mostly in darkness.

From Summer 1995 when it reopened ... to the time of Stitch .. it received mixed reviews. Too scary for little kids .. not so appropriate for a "Magic Kingdom" park. Along came Stitch .. and the show made it's conversion to Stitch. But just like the debacle of Alien E. 1.0 to Alien E. 2.0 problems ... the same happened with Stitch. It was unsatisfactory ... and the show was modified again .... and what audiences have today is a "Stitch 2.0".

My opinion .... The whole point of what Imagineering was trying to come up with here back in the late 80s ... was an audio show. Shoehorning it into the infrastructure of Mission To Mars.

So therefore ... the show was hampered from design issues from the get-go. Had TL:2055 gone through ... the same thing would have happened - Frightened children .. and instead of the saga of this type of show going through 4 changes in Florida .. would have happened here.

What's the difference? None! Both are "magic kingdom" parks. Same kind of audience - Families with little children.

Could have put it in the Paris "magic kingdom" park .. could have put it in Hong Kong "Magic Kingdom" park .. could have put it in the Tokyo "magic kingdom" park. The same result would have happened.

Did not matter where it went. The same issues would have been tagged along to it .. as what happened in Florida.

A flawed concept .. who's premise was an audio show. Too restrictive by ordering imagineering to recycle Mission To Mars' infrastructure. A problem that was inevitable to happen. It happened ... Now it's time to understand it's concept is too inappropriate for all "magic kingdom" parks. Either burry it into the past. Or develop it for the other non 'magic kingdom' parks for Disney.

So a recap - TL:2055 was on track for DL in the late 80s. Along the way ... imagineering began renovation plans for WDW's Tomorrowland as well. Where Alien Encounter was to play out to crowds for both U.S. based Disney resorts. Eisner got cold feet, and ordered TL's renovation to be scrapped ... But WDW's was not ... and therefore ... the plans went ahead .. and Florida became the only "magic kingdom" park to receive it.

Now after going through 4 major changes .. and lots of mixed reviews ... I highly doubt it's ever going to be replicated for the other "magic kingdom" parks. Too flawed in two regards: 1. Too scary for little kids. 2. Too boring. Not really repeatable.
        Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 02-26-2010, 02:34 PM.
        MY SIGNATURE:
        Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

I personally wouldn't mind a new AA show where Pizza Port is.

Comment

I would have much preferred Plectu's Instergalactic Review, rather than the constantlly stale innoventions.

And the whole idea of turning the Carousel of Progress/America Sings building into something of a UFO that crash landed in Tomorrowland was intriguing. Also, a new type of Alien Parade was considered for TL2055, which sounded rather unusual.

The Disney Gallery, when it was in NOS, at one time had a display of proposed changes to Tomorrowland, and it included a picture for one of the scenes from Plectu's. Haven't found a picture of that art anywhere else, since that time.

Didn't care much for Alien Encounter, but I did like Skippy, and the idea of using "teleportation".
            Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
            An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
            Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
            Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

I think they should try to get the rights to an Avatar attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                I thought the same exact thing after I got done watching that movie. It could easily fit in either Fantasyland or Tomorrowland.

Comment

I'd love to see an Alien Encounter styled ride. I was too young to experience it while it was still around..
                  "...Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."

Comment

I love it except for the fact that it was from another buisness (star tours and IJA)
                    I like another idea of george lucas(?) making an Alien attraction with a great plot
                    Originally posted by MainStreetJake
                    Mike's funny. Dirty as a mud wrestling tournament, but funny.
                    Originally posted by williamtheking
                    Mike Skellington: He is what everyone says is wrong with the internet generation, and I love the for it!
                    Mike Skellington
                    My Tumblr.....Pretty Please Follow!!!!!!!!! And I'll follow you back.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeSkellington View Post
                      I love it except for the fact that it was from another buisness (star tours and IJA)
                      I like another idea of george lucas(?) making an Alien attraction with a great plot
                      well, actually George Lucas was involved in Alien Encounter, he was the exeutive producer of the show. The older imagineers went to him so that he could convince Eisner that it was too scary while the plans were still on paper.
                      "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE
                      __________________________________________________________

Comment

I wouldn't have embraced it. But then, I didn't embrace Star Tours.

To see the company that had wowed the world with the likes of Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion climbing on the franchise-marketing wagon with Star Wars was disappointing. To me it felt like the kind of creative thinking common in the TV industry (where Eisner cut his teeth), and not at all like the innovative thinking that had made Disneyland a world famous brand in its own right. If I wanted attractions based on the franchises of other companies, I'd go to Universal. Disneyland was Disneyland.

To me, for WED to be chasing after Lucas meant they were either hard up for cash, or bereft of creativity on a corporate level.

Or both.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                        Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                        imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                          They already did. It was called The Spirit of Pocahontas and ran in the Fantasyland Theater from 1995 - 1997.
                          It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MikeSkellington View Post
                            Here is some info on the version that Lucas wanted

Actually, if you'll do some poking around LaughingPlace.com's archives, you'll find that I've already written fairly extensively about "Alien Encounter." Though -- that said -- I just came across an old piece of concept art for this Tomorrowland attraction which (I think) offers some pretty interesting insights into the way George Lucas originally wanted this story to play out.
                            You see, George wanted "Alien Encounter" to be scary. But in a classic sci-fi sort of way. So -- rather than having a couple of comical robots appearing in AE's pre-show area, setting up the sensory adventure that was to follow -- Lucas wanted to recycle all of "Mission to Mars" 's old AA figures. You know? Mr. Johnson and those 10 other robotic humans who used to man the consoles at Mission Control?

Copyright 1990 The Walt Disney Company
                            Only this time around, Lucas wanted all of the Audio Animatronic figures in the pre-show to be dressed with surgical masks & gowns. More importantly, that theme park guests -- as they entered the "Alien Encounter" pre-show area -- would only be able to see these figures through several layers of extremely thick glass. Toiling away in incredibly sterile laboratories under harsh fluroscent lighting.
                            You get the story idea that George was trying to get across yet? His version of "Alien Encounter" was going to be about containment. As in: The people who work at this facility were obviously concerned about beaming something dangerous down to this planet. Which was why all these precautions had been put in place.
                            Which begs the question: If XS Tech is such a dangerous place to work, then why is it holding an open house? Actually allowing all of us to tour this teleportation facility? Ah, but that's where Lucas' version of "Alien Encounter" was supposed to take a truly sinister turn.
                            You see, it was only after you've taken your seat in the main theater and that restraining harness had come down over your shoulders that you realized that you've lied to. XS Tech wasn't actually holding an open house. This corporation was just looking for some human "guinea pigs" to expose to a supposedly vicious alien lifeform that they'd captured. Just so the scientists could see what this creature was capable of.
                            So the alien is beamed into our midst. The containment shield is lifted and ... The ironic twist on this version of "Alien Encounter" is -- while the creature does look horrible -- it's not really a vicious beast. It's actually a sentient being that just wants to go home.
                            So -- after inadvertantly terrifying the audience for a few moments -- the creature reveals that it doesn't want to harm us. It just wants all of us to escape.
                            So -- in Lucas' version of "Alien Encounter" (Which obviously borrows a page or two from "The Twilight Zone") -- it's actually the alien who comes to our rescue. As the scientists out in the pre-show area realize that their plan has gone horribly wrong and that the alien is now bonding with the audience, they get ready to sterilize the entire auditorium through a combination of radiation & laser fire. But -- before they can do that -- the creature figures out how to raise our shoulder restraints as well as open the theater doors.
                            So -- as we hurry out of the auditorium -- we can't help but feel grateful toward the horrible-looking creature who had just helped us escape. But -- as the same time -- it's hard to ignore all of those terrified screams that are now coming from "Alien Encounters" 's pre-show area. Where it's fairly obvious that this extraterrestrial -- before it heads home -- is exacting some revenge on its captors.
                            I know, I know. That's sounds pretty dark and sinister for a theme park attraction. But let's remember that this is George Lucas that we're talking about here. The man who just sprang "Revenge of the Sith" on the world. Which (I can almost guarantee you) is one of the most dark & sinister summer blockbuster that you'll ever see.
                            __________________________________________________________

Comment

Originally posted by DL_CRAZE View Post
                              Here is some info on the version that Lucas wanted

Actually, if you'll do some poking around LaughingPlace.com's archives, you'll find that I've already written fairly extensively about "Alien Encounter." Though -- that said -- I just came across an old piece of concept art for this Tomorrowland attraction which (I think) offers some pretty interesting insights into the way George Lucas originally wanted this story to play out.
                              You see, George wanted "Alien Encounter" to be scary. But in a classic sci-fi sort of way. So -- rather than having a couple of comical robots appearing in AE's pre-show area, setting up the sensory adventure that was to follow -- Lucas wanted to recycle all of "Mission to Mars" 's old AA figures. You know? Mr. Johnson and those 10 other robotic humans who used to man the consoles at Mission Control?

Copyright 1990 The Walt Disney Company
                              Only this time around, Lucas wanted all of the Audio Animatronic figures in the pre-show to be dressed with surgical masks & gowns. More importantly, that theme park guests -- as they entered the "Alien Encounter" pre-show area -- would only be able to see these figures through several layers of extremely thick glass. Toiling away in incredibly sterile laboratories under harsh fluroscent lighting.
                              You get the story idea that George was trying to get across yet? His version of "Alien Encounter" was going to be about containment. As in: The people who work at this facility were obviously concerned about beaming something dangerous down to this planet. Which was why all these precautions had been put in place.
                              Which begs the question: If XS Tech is such a dangerous place to work, then why is it holding an open house? Actually allowing all of us to tour this teleportation facility? Ah, but that's where Lucas' version of "Alien Encounter" was supposed to take a truly sinister turn.
                              You see, it was only after you've taken your seat in the main theater and that restraining harness had come down over your shoulders that you realized that you've lied to. XS Tech wasn't actually holding an open house. This corporation was just looking for some human "guinea pigs" to expose to a supposedly vicious alien lifeform that they'd captured. Just so the scientists could see what this creature was capable of.
                              So the alien is beamed into our midst. The containment shield is lifted and ... The ironic twist on this version of "Alien Encounter" is -- while the creature does look horrible -- it's not really a vicious beast. It's actually a sentient being that just wants to go home.
                              So -- after inadvertantly terrifying the audience for a few moments -- the creature reveals that it doesn't want to harm us. It just wants all of us to escape.
                              So -- in Lucas' version of "Alien Encounter" (Which obviously borrows a page or two from "The Twilight Zone") -- it's actually the alien who comes to our rescue. As the scientists out in the pre-show area realize that their plan has gone horribly wrong and that the alien is now bonding with the audience, they get ready to sterilize the entire auditorium through a combination of radiation & laser fire. But -- before they can do that -- the creature figures out how to raise our shoulder restraints as well as open the theater doors.
                              So -- as we hurry out of the auditorium -- we can't help but feel grateful toward the horrible-looking creature who had just helped us escape. But -- as the same time -- it's hard to ignore all of those terrified screams that are now coming from "Alien Encounters" 's pre-show area. Where it's fairly obvious that this extraterrestrial -- before it heads home -- is exacting some revenge on its captors.
                              I know, I know. That's sounds pretty dark and sinister for a theme park attraction. But let's remember that this is George Lucas that we're talking about here. The man who just sprang "Revenge of the Sith" on the world. Which (I can almost guarantee you) is one of the most dark & sinister summer blockbuster that you'll ever see.
                              Thank You that was I was referring to I read that once a long time ago and couldn't remember where it was from
                              Originally posted by MainStreetJake
                              Mike's funny. Dirty as a mud wrestling tournament, but funny.
                              Originally posted by williamtheking
                              Mike Skellington: He is what everyone says is wrong with the internet generation, and I love the for it!
                              Mike Skellington
                              My Tumblr.....Pretty Please Follow!!!!!!!!! And I'll follow you back.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X