X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News No DLR job fair this year.

Long lines at theme parks are for jobs - latimes.com

LA Times: Disneyland in Anaheim and Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park have received so many job applications that they put off plans to hold jobs fairs this year...

...Dominick Muniz, 27, used to drive a forklift and work in construction. But this week, he showed up at Knott's Berry Farm's employment center in hopes of landing a temporary job that pays $320 to $380 a week. And he's not picky about what kind of job...

...Bran Danke, 31, a former pizza restaurant manager who has been out of work about a month, said the job market in Los Angeles is so weak that he had no choice but to apply for a temporary position at Universal Studios Hollywood. The park hopes to hire about 200 people this spring for such positions as cooks, food stand attendants and ticket sellers.
    "I just need a job to get by until I can get a steady job," he said after an hourlong interview session at the park...
    Thoughts??

Re: No DLR job fair this year.

Nothing really new. Disneyland has been in this boat since after the 50th. It means they can be picky.

Comment

Originally posted by mrfantasmic View Post
      . . . It means they can be picky.
      I hope Disney will work to retain these new, better employees with:
      more money,
      special events for them and their families,
      and training at many different jobs to make it more stimulating.
      Also, reward a year of service with more freedom in scheduling and a meal for the family at the Blue Bayou.
      Reward three years with one night at the Disneyland hotel.
      Reward five years with a night at the Grand Californian.
      Reward ten years with a trip to Walt Disney World.
      Reward 25 years with a trip to Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, or Shanghai AND lunch with the president of Disneyland at Club 33.
      And for death after 40 years of service: burial outside of the Haunted Mansion with a rhyme on the plastic tomb like:
      "Janey lived a Small World dream.
      Now she rides if forever;
      Hear her scream!"

"John worked on the Tiki Room
      Jose was there to see his doom."
      Last edited by jcruise86; 03-05-2010, 08:48 AM.

Comment

I'm more concerned about the turnover. Many of these people are in the mindset that they'll leave as soon as they find something more perminent. Does Disney really want to deal with all that turnover?

Comment

Originally posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
          I'm more concerned about the turnover. Many of these people are in the mindset that they'll leave as soon as they find something more perminent. Does Disney really want to deal with all that turnover?
          They already have too much turnover. Would you have Disneyland select the less impressive applicants because their fewer options might trap them there longer?

A better economy will, of course, make Disneyland's low-paid jobs less attractive.

Comment

This whole topic proves my point, with the record number of unemployed, Disneyland can and should be more selective on which problem employees they keep around. There is a pretty large pool of current cast members that could and should be let go due to poor customer service skills and lack of professionalism (Of course there are also great Cast Members but the negatives are always more prominent in terms of leaving a lasting impression)

I think Disney should hire some choice candidates and get the word out that they will only tolerate proper employee conduct and behavior otherwise there will be dismissal (without ability to file for unemployment (due to being fired)

Not trying to be harsh here but reality is that there are tons of people who want and need jobs right now, the company should be picky and the employees should realize having a job now is a privilege that should be respected.

Comment

Originally posted by CAspace View Post
              There is a pretty large pool of current cast members that could and should be let go due to poor customer service skills and lack of professionalism.
              Unions.

Comment

Originally posted by mrfantasmic View Post
                Unions.
                Management.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by mr wiggins View Post
                  management.
                  hr?

Comment

Originally posted by CAspace View Post
                    This whole topic proves my point, with the record number of unemployed, Disneyland can and should be more selective on which problem employees they keep around. There is a pretty large pool of current cast members that could and should be let go due to poor customer service skills and lack of professionalism (Of course there are also great Cast Members but the negatives are always more prominent in terms of leaving a lasting impression)

I think Disney should hire some choice candidates and get the word out that they will only tolerate proper employee conduct and behavior otherwise there will be dismissal (without ability to file for unemployment (due to being fired)

Not trying to be harsh here but reality is that there are tons of people who want and need jobs right now, the company should be picky and the employees should realize having a job now is a privilege that should be respected.
                    1) I think they are already doing this, (above quote)
                    2) The UNION doesn't do squat!!!
                    2) I find management of this gigantic organization to be about as good as any company could ever expect, and most employees are very happy to work there.

Uh...what was the question?
                    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
                    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

Here's the thing, no amount of perks or pay hikes or other Disney Magic is not going to stop some ex-real estate broker from jumping right back into that industry as soon as he has a chance to. One thing that Disney absolutely can't do is pay their CMs 50-100K a year. Disney can try to make these workers and their skills fit within the organization so that they have some hope of retaining these people but really Disney pays nowhere near what other places can offer them, it's just a matter of their particular industries regaining strength.

Comment

Crud I'm never going to get a job there now!

Comment

Originally posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
                          with the way they have been treating the CM's
                          the turn over would be nothing new to them.

Other jobs.... no, they wouldn't hire and train knowing they will go somewhere else. We have all new employees' at my job sign a one year contract.
                          Quote by Al:
                          To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                          -Al Lutz

Comment

Originally posted by DLFreak71 View Post
                            with the way they have been treating the CM's
                            I'm curious what this means?
                            Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
                            Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

Originally posted by CMHusband View Post
                              I'm curious what this means?
                              A few years ago Disney had a huge turn over rate.
                              There were complaints about food and how manangers were treating them.
                              So it was more a ref. to the past.
                              But Disney was (is) no stranger to turnover.
                              Quote by Al:
                              To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                              -Al Lutz

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X