Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

Earthquake [merged]

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GhostHostJeff
    started a topic News Earthquake [merged]

Earthquake [merged]

I'm in Northern California but have a lot of friends down in the So Cal area and I guess there was a 6.9 earthquake centered in Baja California, Mexico about 20 minutes ago. Is anyone in the park that knows what's happening? Any changes to the day?

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    Re: Earthquake [merged]

^ Just another aftershock of the 7.2 El Mayor-Cucapah quake on Easter Sunday. There've been a number of them -- 150-200 daily, according to the Southern California Seismic Network.

Leave a comment:

• BasilofBakerStreet
    replied

Creepy...as I was just reading this a 5.0 just hit SoCal near Ocotillo.

Leave a comment:

• Ckelef1
    replied

Originally posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
    Exactly. How can one even predict an earthquake happening?

Earthquakes can happen now, tomorrow, next week, or even next year.

The big one that everyones talking about can happen anytime. And most likley will not happen in our lifetime.
    if the big one does happen, i can only hope it happens when im on vacation, or in mexico visiting my family.

Leave a comment:

• The Forbidden Eye
    replied

Originally posted by Ckelef1 View Post
    earthquakes are unpredictable. people need to stop trying.
    Exactly. How can one even predict an earthquake happening?

Earthquakes can happen now, tomorrow, next week, or even next year.

The big one that everyones talking about can happen anytime. And most likley will not happen in our lifetime.

Leave a comment:

• Ckelef1
    replied

earthquakes are unpredictable. people need to stop trying.

Leave a comment:

• steamboatpete
    replied

The data my colleague followed is no longer anomalous, other than the continuing earthquake activity near the Mexicali quake area. Luke Thomas is still predicting the big one, though: "6.3 to 7.3 earthquake likely in Southern California. May 7-15 Most likely May 7. Earthquake Prediction California, San Francisco, Los Angeles, recent, earthquake, San Diego, Eureka, Sacramento and Alaska."

Leave a comment:

• steamboatpete
    replied

The data is still anomalous, for what that's worth.

Leave a comment:

• disneylandfan95
    replied

Alert: 6.9 earthquake strikes China!!!

6.9 earthquake strikes China - CNN.com

Leave a comment:

• steamboatpete
    replied

These are not hoaxes, or paranormal predictions. They are studies of details that have shown some correlation in the past to the likelihood of a coming earthquake. It doesn't, however, mean that we know it's going to happen. These guys who are saying "it's going to happen in the next 48 hours" don't know any such thing. Earthquake predicting is a far less developed science than weather predicting, and we can't even do that right. However, when you have certain types of events, like swarms of smaller quakes, elevated gas discharges and such things, it's worth paying attention to.

I wouldn't hold the kids back from school, though, even in an abundance of caution.

Leave a comment:

• plagued
    replied

those earthquake prediction hoaxes make me laugh.

Leave a comment:

• mrfantasmic
    replied

Caltech officials fight Twitter quake rumor | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

Leave a comment:

• Hatebreeder
    replied

Except its So Cal, and our world could be shaking at any moment. But i'm rather close to San Bernardino, so I would rather that not be the case.

Leave a comment:

• Rex Dopey24
    replied

Originally posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Apparently, I'm not the only one looking at this data and finding cause for concern:

Earthquake Forecast (Quakeprediction) on Twitter

I think these guys, whoever they are, are drawing a conclusion that is a little too certain. But if they turn out to be right, remember, you read it here first.

On the other hand, they really hedged their bets with this one:

Earthquake Prediction California, San Francisco, Los Angeles, recent, earthquake, San Diego, Eureka, Sacramento and Alaska.

If a big quake hits the San Andreas near San Bernardino, then the data we're looking at did indeed portend a major risk of an imminent quake. If it hits Seeley, however, the prediction is meaningless. Seeley is getting rocked by Mexicali aftershocks left and right. If someone "predicts" that Seeley could get a 5.0 in the next 4 days, it's no prediction at all. Those type of quakes are happening already.

Maps of Recent Earthquake Activity in California-Nevada

wow talk about parnoid comments lol. seriously, nobody knows when earthquakes hits. human paranoia don't you just love it?

Leave a comment:

• WestsideCM99
    replied

Exactly, and the most important prediction (the big one) has geologists so baffled that nowadays they just say that we're overdue and it could happen at any time.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X