• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risa
    MiceChatter
    • Jan 2007

[Question] First Solo Trip to DL !!

Next month I am taking my very first solo vacation across the country and to Disneyland! :yea:

I've never been to California or to DL, and I've also never been on a vacation by myself. Truth be told, I'm a little nervous. On the other hand, if I went anywhere by myself, it would be to WDW or DL. I'm a seasoned veteran with 25+ trips made to WDW. I know my way around their entire resort very well. I've just never had the opportunity to get out to California until now.

Now, I have a few questions for those of you who have been on solo trips - What was your favorite part of your trips? Are there lots of opportunities for "single-rider" lines, so you could almost walk onto rides? Where are good places to eat without having to sit at a table service restaurant? ( I'd feel a bit weird sitting at a table by myself )

I also made sure to extend my trip through Sunday, so that I could attend one of the weekly noon meets with some fellow MCers!!! Hopefully, someone might recognize me from the the WDW Invasion 2 in 2007. I remember Dusty, Fishbulb, Summer, Rixter and MickeyMaxx. Ah, Summer's in Florida, so she wouldn't be in DL. My mom was with me on the trip and chatted with Rixter and MickeyMaxx most of the time. I just want to shout a hello to you guys!

I hope I get to see one or more of you next month.
    - Larisa

Everybody neat and pretty? Then, on with the show! -MMC

:ap:
  • Barbaraann
    Chicago Gal
    • Apr 2005

Re: First Solo Trip to DL !!

I made a solo trip to Disneyland in December of 2008. It was the very first time that I traveled alone. I remember how nervous I was to travel by myself between Chicago, and California. However, once I figured out the best things for me to do so that I would always feel comfortable, I was fine.

First of all, I limited my luggage to carryon only. I flew into John Wayne airport because it's closer. I didn't travel too early in the morning. I stayed at a familiar hotel. I allowed myself enough days, so I wouldn't be rushed. I used the Disney Express Bus from the airport to my hotel.

Once I was in California, and arrived at Disneyland, I was overjoyed. I had lots of alone time to do all the things that I wanted to do. I took a lot of pictures. I also spent a lot of time with MiceChatters that knew I was coming, and were there on the same days as me.

I chuckle when I think of my grandson's comment. "You are going to Disneyland by yourself grandma? Won't you be bored?" No. I'm used to doing things alone.......besides the MiceChatters I met and spent time with on that trip made my trip extra special, and I never felt lonely or bored.

I always come home happy, and can't wait to go again. Which by the way I will, and most likely it will be solo again.

As far as eating alone, I don't mind that. I actually prefer it sometime, since I eat better alone. When I am with other people I tend to talk more than eat, and end up slowing everyone else down.

Have a wonderful solo trip.
    BarbaraAnn

Comment

• Risa
      MiceChatter
      • Jan 2007

Thanks for the info!

I am going to stay at the HoJo in Anaheim. I'm flying into LAX, so I also signed up for the Disney Resort shuttle. I basically have almost 6 full days at the resort. So, I will have plenty of time to be a shutterbug! I love taking pictures. I'm a huge collector of pins and tie-dye t-shirts, so I think I may have to check a bag so I have room to bring home all of the new stuff.

I'm definitely excited to meet some new MCers and have a little company some of the time.
      - Larisa

Comment

• DannyB
        always, the freaky cat
        • Nov 2008

I recommend taking in a show at the Golden Horseshoe, where Billy Hill and the Hillbillies play. Most shows are usually full, but as a single person you could easily walk in and ask a group at a table with an empty chair if that chair is taken and if you may sit there. Then you can get something to eat, enjoy the show, and have a conversation with some new friends.

I've done this before as a single guest at Disneyland, and in the Golden Horseshoe it is common for people to share tables. The conversations I've had with "strangers" there have been as enjoyable as the show.

Comment

• Aladdin
          Prince Ali
          • Jan 2005

Now, I have a few questions for those of you who have been on solo trips - What was your favorite part of your trips? Are there lots of opportunities for "single-rider" lines, so you could almost walk onto rides? Where are good places to eat without having to sit at a table service restaurant? ( I'd feel a bit weird sitting at a table by myself
          The best part is just taking in Disneyland at your own pace! You can do what you want, when you want.

Single rider pass is good for Splash Mountain, and California Screamin. And if Grizzly River Rapids has a long line, you may want to use the single rider line, there, too.

I wouldn't suggest Single Rider for Soarin' Over California. Sometimes it still take a long time to board. Your better off using a Fast Pass for Soarin'.

White Water Cafe is a nice little place to eat, hidden inside the Grand Californian. If you are in DCA, you may want to consider eating there, as the Grand Californian has an entrance near Grizzly River Rapids (be sure to get your hand stamped when go through the gate to the hotel) and White Water Cafe is near the DCA/GC entrance. They do have some premade cold sandwiches and salads in the cooler, they also have several items on the grill, just look at the menu on the back wall, by the cashier for the selection. They also have a few tables outside for dining, and it's a nice shaded area. You might also get a visit from one of those famous Disneyland feral kitties, if you eat outside. I often eat here more than once on my vacations. White Water is my favorite place for burgers at the DLR, as they are made to order fresh. Although many people really like the Taste Pilot's Grill for burgers with their topping bar.

The Pacific Wharf area in DCA also has a few choices, with the Boudin Bakery for their Breadbowl Salads and Soups, The Lucky Fortune Cookery for Beef, Pork or Chicken with rice or noodles with your choice of sauce, and Cociina Cucamonga Mexican Grill. For all these places, you just stand in line for ordering and then wait for your food. This is one of the main eating area of DCA.

Over at DL, I have to mention 3 table service restaurants:

You should try Cafe Orleans, even though it's table service. The famous Monte Cristo and the Pomme Frits are extremely popular.

Have to mention another table service restaunt, for breakfast, the Carnation Cafe, half way up Main Street on the left side. The breakfasts are good, and I love the Cinnamon Roll French Toast! mmmm!

Blue Bayou is the infamous indoor restaurant (table service) at the beginning of the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction. It has a GREAT atmosphere, however the food is hit and miss, in my experience. HOWEVER, when I have dined alone, service has been great - the waterside tables are really nice too!

For Non table service,

Pizza Port in Tomorrowland has salads, pasta, and pizza. The Chicken Fusilli is one of my favorites.

Tomorrowland Terrace unfortunely is closed for remodeling. But I understand their Breakfast Burrito is currently being served over in Fantasyland at the Village Haus Restaurant.

Hungry Bear in Critter Country has great bacon cheeseburgers, a club sandwich, chicken sandwich, chicken caesar salad, and veggie burgers.
          Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
          An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
          Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
          Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

• Coheteboy
            Starcruiser.. crash crash
            MiceChat Moderator
            • Sep 2005

How fun! I can't wait to hear/read your thoughts on your first visit!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
            http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

• sleepybear
              MiceChatter
              • Jul 2007

I did a solo day a couple of years ago. My big to-do was a TOUR! I highly recommend it-- since I was alone, it gave me something to do and a place to focus-- otherwise I might have just wandered around all day-- which I still did and enjoyed. My most favorite part of my day alone, was when I took a phone call from my sister and sat in New Orleans for 30 minutes and chatted. You never get to do that with other people!
              To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

Comment

• mickatey
                Mickatey Mouse
                • Dec 2009

how exciting!! i did my first solo trip a month or so ago but i live 45 minutes from disneyland.. this has to be the coolest thing i've heard in awhile! you will have such an amazing time. i'm just like my mom, sometimes i like to do things on my own and just enjoy! do not worry one bit about being alone, you will have an amazing time and make friends throughout your trip.

Comment

• Risa
                  MiceChatter
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by DannyB View Post
                  I recommend taking in a show at the Golden Horseshoe, where Billy Hill and the Hillbillies play. Most shows are usually full, but as a single person you could easily walk in and ask a group at a table with an empty chair if that chair is taken and if you may sit there. Then you can get something to eat, enjoy the show, and have a conversation with some new friends.

I've done this before as a single guest at Disneyland, and in the Golden Horseshoe it is common for people to share tables. The conversations I've had with "strangers" there have been as enjoyable as the show.
                  That might be something to try since it is out of my comfort zone. My husband is much better at talking to random people that he doesn't know.
                  - Larisa

Comment

• Risa
                    MiceChatter
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                    The best part is just taking in Disneyland at your own pace! You can do what you want, when you want.

Over at DL, I have to mention 3 table service restaurants:

You should try Cafe Orleans, even though it's table service. The famous Monte Cristo and the Pomme Frits are extremely popular.

Have to mention another table service restaunt, for breakfast, the Carnation Cafe, half way up Main Street on the left side. The breakfasts are good, and I love the Cinnamon Roll French Toast! mmmm!

Blue Bayou is the infamous indoor restaurant (table service) at the beginning of the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction. It has a GREAT atmosphere, however the food is hit and miss, in my experience. HOWEVER, when I have dined alone, service has been great - the waterside tables are really nice too!

Fantastic information!! Thank you so much Aladdin!

Feral kitties? Really? Awwww I've never heard of them being at DL until now. Cinnamon Roll French Toast...oh yeah! That sounds really good. Yum... I think that I'll have to just bite the bullet and experience some table service restaurants even being a table for one. Eating at WDW is one of my favorite parts of the whole experience. I think I should go with it when I visit the DL resort.

I have heard of the Blue Bayou here on the forums. I think I willl definitely try that. Thank you again for all of your information!

29 days and counting!!
                    - Larisa

Comment

• Risa
                      MiceChatter
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by sleepybear View Post
                      I did a solo day a couple of years ago. My big to-do was a TOUR! I highly recommend it-- since I was alone, it gave me something to do and a place to focus-- otherwise I might have just wandered around all day-- which I still did and enjoyed.
                      I was thinking about a tour. I love taking tours when I am at WDW. I haven't had a chance to look up what they offer at DL. Good idea
                      - Larisa

Comment

• wettham1783
                        MiceChatter
                        • May 2006

I have made probably 10 solo trips to DLR in the last 5 years and always have a great time. I try to make it to a Sunday meet and have made some friends from Micechat that come to the Parks and spend time hanging out with me. My next rip is already booked for the week that falls on the 17th of July, and I'm really looking forward to it. I know you'll have a great trip, enjoy!
                        Matthew

Comment

• Risa
                          MiceChatter
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by wettham1783 View Post
                          I have made probably 10 solo trips to DLR in the last 5 years and always have a great time. I try to make it to a Sunday meet and have made some friends from Micechat that come to the Parks and spend time hanging out with me. My next rip is already booked for the week that falls on the 17th of July, and I'm really looking forward to it. I know you'll have a great trip, enjoy!
                          I made sure my trip included a full day on a Sunday so that I could meet up with the Micechatters
                          - Larisa

Comment

• isny
                            Timelord
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Risa View Post
                            Next month I am taking my very first solo vacation across the country and to Disneyland! :yea:

I've never been to California or to DL, and I've also never been on a vacation by myself. Truth be told, I'm a little nervous. On the other hand, if I went anywhere by myself, it would be to WDW or DL. I'm a seasoned veteran with 25+ trips made to WDW. I know my way around their entire resort very well. I've just never had the opportunity to get out to California until now.

Now, I have a few questions for those of you who have been on solo trips - What was your favorite part of your trips? Are there lots of opportunities for "single-rider" lines, so you could almost walk onto rides? Where are good places to eat without having to sit at a table service restaurant? ( I'd feel a bit weird sitting at a table by myself )

I also made sure to extend my trip through Sunday, so that I could attend one of the weekly noon meets with some fellow MCers!!! Hopefully, someone might recognize me from the the WDW Invasion 2 in 2007. I remember Dusty, Fishbulb, Summer, Rixter and MickeyMaxx. Ah, Summer's in Florida, so she wouldn't be in DL. My mom was with me on the trip and chatted with Rixter and MickeyMaxx most of the time. I just want to shout a hello to you guys!

I hope I get to see one or more of you next month.
                            Soarin, Indy, Grizzly, etc. for single rider are usually walk on during most of the year. Not sure how busy they are in the summer months though.

Taste Pilots Grill is a good choice for solo eating.

Just make sure to get fastpasses for everything as early as you can, as you have no one to slow you down, and then head off and do the normally long lined non fast pass rides early on to save time.

I generally tend to go in this order.(Starting at opening time) FP from Space Mountain, over to Star Tours for the walk on, Big Thunder FP, Pirates, HM, Splash Single Rider, Indy Single Rider, Space Mountain (and get another FP), and then whatever else I feel like doing depending on lines and showtimes.

At this point usually I'll head over to DCA and get a ToT FP, do the shows (Aladdin, Bug, Muppet), ride the single riders, head over to ToT, and keep heading back to the single riders depending on show times and FP times.

I'll usually head back to Disneyland at night to get as much in as I can. Pirates and Haunted Mansion are generally dead at night.

Good luck, and enjoy yourself =) (I expect to see a TR!)

Comment

• BoogaFrito
                              Stop That!
                              • May 2005

I used to be hesitant to visit table service restaurants alone. There are some advantages at Disneyland, though; with outside seating, you can people-watch during the (possibly) awkward waits, and if you request a water seat at the Blue Bayou, you'll have some great atmosphere to enjoy.

Of course, you can always use that time to write postcards, too. That way people know you have friends, really!

Comment

• Coheteboy
                                Starcruiser.. crash crash
                                MiceChat Moderator
                                • Sep 2005

I dunno if you said this already but how many days are you doing?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                                http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

• 1Disneylandfan
                                  RCMC: Java Junkie
                                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                                  I dunno if you said this already but how many days are you doing?
                                  I think she said 6 days.
                                  sigpic

Comment

• Risa
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Jan 2007

Yep 6 days total. I'll get to LAX about lunchtime on May 19 and leave late afternoon the following Monday May 24. Plenty of time to get the layout of both parks. I am meeting up with a friend on that Saturday and was going to show her around Disneyland that day. She actually just moved to LA last November and hasn't been to DL yet. Imagine that.... Hehe... She has never been to WDW either. So, she's a Disney newbie.

I'm definitely going to try the Blue Bayou. I do love to people watch. And yes, I can totally write out some postcards or read a book. I'll have the new Charlaine Harris book by then.

I started searching for all the new pins that came out in DL the past few months. I can't wait to start shopping for the mystery sets!!
                                    - Larisa

Comment

• Risa
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Jan 2007

9 days and counting!! I'm so freakin' excited!!!

I haven't called ahead for any breakfast/dinner reservations....wonder if I can get any last minute cancellations..?

Maybe I can catch a test run of WoC!?!? That would be so awesome.

The Little Mermaid is my favorite movie - too bad the dark ride isn't finished yet. :P
                                      - Larisa

Comment

• Bex
                                        New MiceChatter
                                        • May 2010

Hi Risa,

I did a very short solo trip to DL last week (just 3 1/2 hrs -- I live only 1 hr away) and I really enjoyed myself.

Re dining: Don't forget Downtown Disney. Just get your hand stamped. I had a pretty good cocktail at Uva Bar, which is an outdoor circular bar. There's also a Mexican restaurant there with a good happy hour. A nice place to chill in the mid-afternoon, when it's super hot.

I'll be there this Sunday for 4-5 hrs -- hope to meet some other MiceChatters then!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X