Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I spotted this back in July '10, on the official Disneyland site:

Dear Foolish Mortals,
    You are hereby invited to a spirited tour via "buggy" of the home and estate of the late Master Edward Gracey, a prosperous sea captain whose elegant 19th-century mansion in the New Orleans Square was once the setting for some of the most prominent social gatherings this side of the Mississippi.
    The Host
    Alas, Master Gracey and his family have met an...untimely...end. Tended by his faithful servants, his home has been inherited by its ethereal inhabitants who are eager to meet you. Your Ghost Host is happy to show you his humble abode.
    Enter...if you dare!
    Fortunately, it's been changed since then:
    Dear Foolish Mortals,
    You are hereby invited to a spirited tour via "buggy" of the home and estate of a prosperous yet departed sea captain whose elegant 19th-century mansion in the New Orleans Square was once the setting for some of the most prominent social gatherings this side of the Mississippi.
    The Host
    Alas, the sea captain and his family long ago met an...untimely...end. Tended by faithful servants, the home has been inherited by its ethereal inhabitants who are eager to meet you. Several prominent ghosts have retired here from creepy old crypts all over the world. Your Ghost Host is happy to show you their humble abode.
    Enter...if you dare!
    Disneyland Haunted Mansion | New Orleans Square Attractions | Disneyland Park

Reminds me of the thing with the construction sign for the WDW '07 Re-Haunting.

Comment

• Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Originally posted by HBG2 View Post
      The portrait at left is hideously out of place -- just like the rest of the McMansionland "improvements." And Gus looks legitimately psychotic, not comically daft like he was before. His gaze is intense, disturbing and very much like some of the real, mentally unbalanced, poor, homeless souls I've seen on the street. I don't like what's going on in his eyes.

If the Imagineers were hoping to make Gus appear more criminal, they've certainly succeeded.
      Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 04-10-2011, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHNNYBIX38 View Post
        Ezra has gone "Hollywood" LOL
        They're no longer called The Hitchhiking Ghosts. It's now Ezra's Posse. His grille and bling are on the way.

Comment

• Collin Campbell

I received a note from the nephew of WED Imagineer Collin Campbell letting me know that Collin passed away last Saturday, April 2. I know he had a great influence on many of us via the Story and Song album, and thought I'd pass along the news.

Here's an article about Collin's remarkable legacy.
          Chef Mayhem
          Designated a USA Today Hotsite
          Webmaster, TellNoTales.com
          Designated a Yahoo! Site of the Day

Comment

Praying for his family and friends.
            "Y'all come back now, ya hear?"

Comment

Originally posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
              I spotted this back in July '10, on the official Disneyland site:

Fortunately, it's been changed since then:

Disneyland Haunted Mansion | New Orleans Square Attractions | Disneyland Park

Reminds me of the thing with the construction sign for the WDW '07 Re-Haunting.
              Heh. I knew that it would be revamped once it caught the eye of a certain Top Exec. Wish I could have seen the icy email someone got.

Originally posted by ChefMayhem View Post
              I received a note from the nephew of WED Imagineer Collin Campbell letting me know that Collin passed away last Saturday, April 2. I know he had a great influence on many of us via the Story and Song album, and thought I'd pass along the news.

RIP Collin. Another artist from that wonderful generation has left us.
              "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

......... .....May April March!.....................

Comment

Indeed, sorry to hear of Collin's passing....very good article by the Chef, too. Hope he is well in whatever awaits all of us foolish mortals eventually, and thoughts to his family and co-workers and friends.
                when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Comment

• Re: Collin Campbell

Oh, that's sad.

One thing that puzzles me, Chef: Why was there no mention of the iconic "The Story and Song from The Haunted Mansion" in your article? While I can't speak for others, I feel confident in saying that many of the people posting on these HM threads would likely have never even heard of Campbell had it not been for that record album.

temp_39091_1443218350388_737

Mike and Karen ran toward the old house, through the old iron gate, and onto the porch for protection. Protection...? If only they had known...

Comment

I did mention the record, prominently - I suspect you might have been fooled by Examiner.com's style which divides the stories in half to insert banner advertising. The article continues underneath the ad to mention the Story and Song record, and his epitaph at WDW's HM as well.
                    Chef Mayhem
                    Designated a USA Today Hotsite
                    Webmaster, TellNoTales.com
                    Designated a Yahoo! Site of the Day

Comment

I did mention the record, prominently - I suspect you might have been fooled by Examiner.com's style which divides the stories in half to insert banner advertising. The article continues underneath the ad to mention the Story and Song record, and his epitaph at WDW's HM as well.
                      Oops, you're right. The advertisement did made it appear as if that was the end of the article. Apologies. :blush:
                      temp_39091_1443218350388_737

Mike and Karen ran toward the old house, through the old iron gate, and onto the porch for protection. Protection...? If only they had known...

Comment

I am still at Disney and just want to post a few little comments before I do a full report when I get home.

The new HHGs look AMAZING. They are totally convincing and appear completely 3 dimensional. However, 12 out of the 13 times I rode the Mansion, they were unable to detect that I was riding in a doombuggy (possibly because I was wearing all black) so I was not subject to their interactive shenanigans. Odd. It is almost impossible to see the Maude portrait by Phineas, you can only see an outline of the clutter next to him.
                        I highly suggest bypassing the queue (unless you are riding early in the morning, because they close off the bypass lane and force you to go through it). The captain's singing and Prudence's yelping is very loud and carries throughout the queue. It is not as bad as I expected, but still pretty bad. The new hill cemetery adds a lot of depth to the old section of the queue, making it look beyond fantastic. I also saw tombstones for Pricilla (SP?) and Barth-something-in Gore on the hill. The Chicken exit has been expanded and separates into two areas; the chicken exit and handicapped boarding. The old "Servants Quarters" sign that was in the shape of a bat has been replaced with an old plaque with the same inscription. The exit sign that is in the new Queue has also been re-themed to fit in with the surrounding area. The mansion itself is in great shape, no big problems whatsoever. There are going to be a ton of photos (and videos) posted on my blog in the next couple of days.

RIP Collin. You will be missed.

EDIT:

I also want to mention something I overheard a guest say after exiting the new queue:

Person 1: "That was kinda weird"
                        Person 2: "Yea, I think they're trying to make it more like that Eddy Murphy movie."
                        Last edited by MasterGracey13; 04-11-2011, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterGracey13 View Post
                          I am still at Disney and just want to post a few little comments before I do a full report when I get home.

The new HHGs look AMAZING. They are totally convincing and appear completely 3 dimensional. However, 12 out of the 13 times I rode the Mansion, they were unable to detect that I was riding in a doombuggy (possibly because I was wearing all black) so I was not subject to their interactive shenanigans. Odd. It is almost impossible to see the Maude portrait by Phineas, you can only see an outline of the clutter next to him.
                          I highly suggest bypassing the queue (unless you are riding early in the morning, because they close off the bypass lane and force you to go through it). The captain's singing and Prudence's yelping is very loud and carries throughout the queue. It is not as bad as I expected, but still pretty bad. The new hill cemetery adds a lot of depth to the old section of the queue, making it look beyond fantastic. I also saw tombstones for Pricilla (SP?) and Barth-something-in Gore on the hill. The Chicken exit has been expanded and separates into two areas; the chicken exit and handicapped boarding. The old "Servants Quarters" sign that was in the shape of a bat has been replaced with an old plaque with the same inscription. The exit sign that is in the new Queue has also been re-themed to fit in with the surrounding area. The mansion itself is in great shape, no big problems whatsoever. There are going to be a ton of photos (and videos) posted on my blog in the next couple of days.
                          I'm glad they replaced the tacky bat plaque. So cheesy.
                          The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

Thanks very much, MasterGracey! Look forward to your photos and video and the full report!
                            when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Comment

RIP Mr. Campbell. He will forever be in our hearts and now a happy haunt. Does anyone know how old he was?

And wonderful news about the HHGs (: I'm glad they aren't all that bad.
                              Last edited by Waltzing Ghost; 04-11-2011, 01:27 PM.
                              "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun - together." ~ Walt Disney

Comment

I like the quality of The Hitchhiking Ghosts; I just don't like the look in Gus's eyes. If anything, Ezra is now more handsome. He looks like me. And my bling (the gold tooth) is built-in.

My heartfelt sympathies go out to the surviving family, friends and colleagues of the great Mr. Campbell, and all who love and admire the man and his work. Another giant has moved on.

Comment

I saw the dreaded construction wall projections at the Magic Kingdom on Sunday (4/3), leaving the members of my party saying as we left, "Well that was lame!"

Imagine my surprise when on Tuesday, the new HHG were up and running! The projections were a great improvement over the temporary ones (and they really didn't feel too cheesy for being projections). Everyone in my party enjoyed the HHG "shenanigans", and I'm glad I saw it in person before I saw it online.

I refused to go through the interactive line, though... we always walked right into the Mansion from the split anyways.

Si vous voulez venir danser aussi, le ticket d’entrée n’est jamais gratuit.
                                  Il faut payer de sa vie.

Comment

Great trip report, Master Gracey! Can't wait to see the pictures. It's also interesting to note what you mentioned about the two new gravestones belonging to what seems to be Bartholomew Gore and Pricscilla. These are obvious nods to the "Legend of Captain Gore," one of the very first mansion treatments by Ken Anderson. The story can be found on page 17 of the original Haunted Mansion book by Jason Surrell. Looking at the page as I type this. Nice touch and tribute to early mansion lore.

I hate doing this to you guys, but can someone please post the link to all the Haunted Mansion changing portraits both used and unused? I can't find it anywhere.
                                    "Y'all come back now, ya hear?"

Comment

Since they seem to feel the need to have a grave for every single character in the ride or old backstories I would not be surprised if Connie and her 5 (6?) husbands graves appear next.

Comment

RIP Colin Campbell. I always loved his artwork for the records. They are some of my favorite HM paintings.

At least he saw that he was given a tribute in the new queue. I really hope there is no connection between him seeing the queue and his passing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreepy Karl View Post
                                          RIP Colin Campbell... I really hope there is no connection between him seeing the queue and his passing.
                                          Oh, that's bad -- but TRUE.

Comment

Working...
                                          X