Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Looks like the entrance gates were repainted. That doesn't excuse the new theme and view-killing sign above them.

Comment

• Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Originally posted by HBG2 View Post
      Hey. It's gone. The wrought iron addition to the porch railing, which gave it a few inches of extra height, remember? Gone.
      From the rainy day Mark Twain video, it sure looks like it. However, a search of Instagram shows many photos, such as this one taken today, with the fall-proofing: Or is it just your imagination??? #disney #hauntedmansion #disneyland #disneyland #mo | OnInStagram

And if you can stand it, this video from two days ago shows the extra railing in place: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcuiS5XSfTs

I suspect that the rainy day Mark Twain video was shot in 2012 or before, and was just uploaded recently.

Comment

If you looked closely at the video BTMRR was all closed off and being rebuilt.

Comment

I think that video of the rainy Haunted Mansion and Mark Twain was taken in 2004.

Comment

It is not in HD nor widescreen. Most likely done with an older camcorder taken many years ago. At least 5 years ago or longer.

Comment

Originally posted by SOTSreleaseplease View Post
              It is not in HD nor widescreen. Most likely done with an older camcorder taken many years ago. At least 5 years ago or longer.
              Some of his videos were shot in 1995. I used one of them for my "then and now" speed comparison a couple weeks ago.
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...post1057237464

(That 1995 video I used seems to have been cropped to widescreen, though.)

Comment

Originally posted by SOTSreleaseplease View Post
                Format is not necessarily an indicator for the age of a video. My Canon PowerShot ELPH 310HS can take full 1080i 16:9 wide-screen HD video, but it can also be set to standard 4:3 low res video.
                temp_39091_1443218350388_737

Mike and Karen ran toward the old house, through the old iron gate, and onto the porch for protection. Protection...? If only they had known...

Comment

Just fyi, believe it or not I'm working on a humdinger of a Long Forgotten post. Some history about Little Leota that NOBODY knew, including me. Looks like the blog's hibernation will be postponed for a bit.
                  "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

......... .....May April March!.....................

Comment

Yea! Good news HBG2. I anxiously look forward to your future posts.

Comment

Just fyi, believe it or not I'm working on a humdinger of a Long Forgotten post. Some history about Little Leota that NOBODY knew, including me. Looks like the blog's hibernation will be postponed for a bit.
                      Eagerly awaiting it! I just happened to notice Little Leota looked very well last night. Her face seemed less like a spotlight and her features were so clear that I could actually tell the face looked like Madame Leota's.

Comment

Fantastic!!

Comment

Huzzah!! Let me guess, the fanfic that Leota drowned herself and shrunk to the size of a doll is actually TRUE!!!!

Comment

Well, speaking of little Leota, that same guy on Youtube has some really fantastic footage of her. Look at his video descriptions, that's what caught my eye, and it sez what's on each video, so you don't have to sit thru each one. She's at the very end.

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95QSWe8JIRo

Leota comes in at 54:00 exactly.
                            Last edited by disneydude69; 06-27-2015, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Very nice indeed. The video is misdated, however. The owner says it's "early 90s," but actually that video was shot between 2002 and 2004 (wheelchair ramp was put in 2002/3; changing portraits were redone at the end of 2004; the video is from between those dates).
                              Last edited by HBG2; 07-01-2015, 08:59 PM. Reason: fix error in date; 2004 not 2005

Comment

Last November (p 610) we had a superpost about the area around the birdbath, focusing especially on the gate over there, redesigned in Feb 2006. This new (as in newly youtubed) video has some shots that make excellent companions to this photo, used in that post:

Really nice before-and-after.

Comment

I've got a new photo of Daniel Joseph with the HBG 2.0 mockup seen in the official video. What's interesting is that from this angle you can see a box-like projection behind the hatbox. I think this is most likely to house the projector. If it's not strictly necessary to use that much room for the projector (maybe yes, maybe no), it might be to allow enough room around the projector to make it serviceable without undue difficulty. The projection is cleverly hidden on the right side by Hattie's cloak, which hangs down off of his arm and covers that view completely. On the left side, you either never get over far enough to see back there, or it's just too dark in there, thanks, again, to the cloak. That the front of the hatbox presents a window covered with scrim is more obvious in this photo than in most.

A few new facts came with the photo. The project took about 18 months from mockup and pitch to finished figure, and a group of about ten people worked on it. It's a totally in-house, Disney production. Nothing in the development or manufacture was farmed out.

Another wonderful factoid. They did indeed hunt down the original mold of the head and cast a new one from it and scanned that for use in creating a virtual HBG on the computer. What is most interesting to me is that the mold was actually labeled "hatbox figure." We have always thought (and I think correctly) that Ezra and the HBG use the same head mold. What this proves is that the HBG was the original purpose for creating the "leering skull." We know that the prototype HBG existed in 1968, including the head, and at that time Ezra was nothing more than a sheet ghost with a completely different look. In other words, if there was ever any doubt, the "hatbox figure" head was borrowed and reused for Ezra, not vice versa.

Also also, the oft-repeated claim that all of the original molds for the figure disappeared is flat-out wrong. If perchance that was true at some point, it's been false for years. They've got the head mold with "hatbox figure" written on it. Another myth explodes.

Comment

New post is up at LF.

Comment

Those old Corpse Bride photos are great. But after hearing about HBG \2.0 not working for a while gave me flashbacks about the Yeti on Expedition Everest. It was the most complicated AA figure ever built, but broke down a few months after the 2006 opening and they have not fixed it. My guess is it's too expensive, so they just put a strobe light on him.
                                      sigpic

Be a fan of Mr. Ghost of Facebook

The Mystery of Fenwright Manor

The Fenwright Museum of Yester-Year

The Haunted Library

Catherine Fenwright, Lady of the house on twitter: @CathysGhost

Comment

Maybe the plan is for him to stop working occasionally in order to please the purists, who yearn for a HBG that didn't work.

/sarc

Comment

:lol: It took a few reads to get that
                                          sigpic

Be a fan of Mr. Ghost of Facebook

The Mystery of Fenwright Manor

The Fenwright Museum of Yester-Year

The Haunted Library

Catherine Fenwright, Lady of the house on twitter: @CathysGhost

Comment

Working...
                                          X