Announcement

Collapse

Attention New Uber/Lyft Users

If you are planning to use Uber or Lyft anywhere in the US and have not already taken your first ride, you can use the following codes for a free or discounted first ride (amount varies by location). Uber - matthewb96 Lyft - matthewb96
See more
See less

The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today is the last day for Haunted Mansion Holiday. In 12 days, the classic Haunted Mansion returns. It's "Christmas II".

Comment

• Phantom Manor is closing today for a massive refurbishment to last until October. No details on the changes or updates that will be done, unfortunately, but it’s big enough to warrant those “Goodbye” buttons.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtlchuck View Post
        So I was watching a documentary about the 60's and 70's yesterday, and then it hit me: "Doom buggy" is very likely a pun on "Dune buggy", a popular sand vehicle in the late 60's and early 70's and part of the era's beach culture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_buggy

I guess it would have been similar to attraction now making a pun with "fidget spinner". The first audiences of the Haunted Mansion must have immediately made the connection.

Had anyone else had this thought??
        I always thought it was a direct pun based on dune buggy.
        Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

• Just 3 more days to go until the Disneyland Haunted Mansion returns. Grim Grinning Ghosts come out to socialize!

Comment

• Happy New Year, 'bugs. There's finally a new post up at LF. Not too spectacular, but fun anyway. I've also updated an old post, the one about "Rewriting the History of the Changing Portrait Hall," because I noticed in a youtube video that the old way of handling the foyer continued to be in use from time to time as late as 2000.
            . Updated January 17, 2018. Welcome to the third consecutive post dealing with the lost history of the changing portrait hall. This is th...
            "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

......... .....May April March!.....................

Comment

• Today is the day the Disneyland Haunted Mansion returns after a 5 month hibernation period. GRIM GRINNING GHOSTS COME OUT TO SOCIALIZE! And as the Ghost Host is fond of saying "And a ghost will follow you home!"

Comment

• So… hello! I'm a long-time lurker of these boo-tiful threads (and a major HM fan!) and the Blog, and I have finally registered around here. I know I'm rather late to the party… but then, being "late" is very fitting for the Mansion, isn't it? So I think I'll join the jamboree, if you don't mind.

I'm not coming empty-handed, either. Some time ago I commented on one of the blogposts about a possible connection, and while HBG2 replied (positively!), I'd like to see what you other expert Mansionites make of this.

It concerns an awesome 1963 horror-comedy film, The Comedy of Terrors, starring Vincent Price and Peter Lorre, with Boris Karloff and Basil Rathbone in supporting roles. It's exactly the type of thing the Imagineers might have been looking at for inspiration (or, hell, they may even have watched it on their own time when it came out), and beyond the overall tone, even though the film doesn't have a single actual ghost, there are some things that I find — evocative.

For a start, a running "joke" throughout the film is that Rathbone's character is prone to catalepsy and keeps fainting in such a deathlike manner that he's buried, only to wake up inside his coffin… In a hilarious sequence, crooked undertaker Price is sitting on the coffin to try and keep him inside — prompting Rathbone to repeatedly utter: "Let me out! Let me out! Let me out of here!!!". Interesting, isn't it? Here's a screenshot:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Outtahere-1.png Views:	1 Size:	166.6 KB ID:	8546272

But that's not all.

Later on the same coffin ends up in a graveyard where still-not-dead-Rathbone once again wakes up, in the middle of a stormy night. And in doing so he scares the brains out of an Old Caretaker type played by Joe E. Brown (of Some Like It Hot fame), who looks very familiar, down to the type of lantern:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Caretaker.png Views:	1 Size:	246.4 KB ID:	8546273

(He's looking very cheerful now, but when he see the "undead" Rathbone, he screams pretty nicely too.) And am I seeing thing, or does Brown's face…?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Caretaker-1-.jpg Views:	2 Size:	116.7 KB ID:	8546275Click image for larger version  Name:	59a6906167aec__annex-brown-joe-e-whens-your-birthday-01.jpg Views:	3 Size:	91.4 KB ID:	8546278

And as the final nail in the coffin… so to speak, I also find the "collection of curious objects" clogging up Karloff's basement to be rather similar to a certain Attic:

Click image for larger version  Name:	640?cb=20171118224611.png Views:	1 Size:	212.0 KB ID:	8546279

Old spooky clutter is old spooky clutter, but hey.

In his reply to the comment on the blogspot that I already mentioned, HBG2 pointed out yet another interesting similarity:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Isitworking.png
Views:	1
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	8546283

That's all I have. Whether or not you find all of this evidence compelling (I sure do), be sure to watch The Comedy of Terror either way, it's really a great flick.

Comment

• Does anyone here have some good shots of the griffins that you see right after you board the doombuggies?

Comment

• Originally posted by HBG2 View Post
                    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright
                    As it happens, they made a children's GGG sing-along video at that time (the one with Donald Duck dancing around under a ghost sheet while Thurl sings GGG nice and slow and you follow the bouncing pumpkin). One plaque was finished and up again, restored to brown, while the other was still down! That was the state when they made the video, which I understand was released in 1990.

The girl in that video had my name - Danielle. Supposedly that's the name of her actress, Danielle Clegg. But I treat the video like Nostalgia Critic treats Doug for that reason... sad isn't it? Thankfully it's only my family who teases me.

Comment

• GREAT footage of the Disneyland Mansion. Lots of great closeups too.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJwsCp-QSCY

Comment

• Originally posted by Thaddeus Twain View Post
                        So… hello! I'm a long-time lurker of these boo-tiful threads (and a major HM fan!) and the Blog, and I have finally registered around here. I know I'm rather late to the party… but then, being "late" is very fitting for the Mansion, isn't it? So I think I'll join the jamboree, if you don't mind.

That's all I have. Whether or not you find all of this evidence compelling (I sure do), be sure to watch The Comedy of Terror either way, it's really a great flick.
                        Welcome! It is always nice to have new people join the conversation, especially when they bring gifts.

That's a pretty cool connection and it is likely that some, if not all saw that movie. Just for the actors alone, I'd imagine there were fans.
                        I agree that the caretaker and Brown's face are similar, especially around the mouth.

Nice to see a new post up at the blog. They are always something to look forward to.

I'm thinking of making a 1:18 scale version of the Endless Hallway. Does anyone have a pattern tile of the carpet so I can print it out? Or if anyone knows the name of the pattern so I can find it for myself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

• Anyone know if the "traveling light" effect is still functioning at HM?
                          My family and I are only able to visit the park every 2 years or so. We were there at the end of November 2017. I looked for the light but didn't see it. I thought maybe they don't have it on during the Christmas overlay, but I didn't see it 4 years ago either when I visited during the Summer months. It would be a shame if they let such a classic effect fall into disrepair and ultimately abandon it, much like the fireflies and cloud projections in the Blue Bayou.

Comment

• Originally posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
                            Anyone know if the "traveling light" effect is still functioning at HM?
                            My family and I are only able to visit the park every 2 years or so. We were there at the end of November 2017. I looked for the light but didn't see it. I thought maybe they don't have it on during the Christmas overlay, but I didn't see it 4 years ago either when I visited during the Summer months. It would be a shame if they let such a classic effect fall into disrepair and ultimately abandon it, much like the fireflies and cloud projections in the Blue Bayou.
                            The light is still working, but only in one window. When you go into the side queue, it's the window to the far left. Takes quite a while for it to show up, I haven't timed it.

Comment

• Just to let you guys know, I haven't popped in as often, but I still luv ya, it's just that I've been crazy busy with a full time AND a part time job these days.
                              Planning a possible DL trip in May. Does anyone know how far out Disney posts its schedule showing down attractions?

Comment

• with all the PIXAR pier dates posted, a may visit would be safe and seems unlikely that any refurb closure would happen since all of that could have checked with the NBC removal. If you are looking at other attractions, I don't see how they could add more with all the mess this week.

Comment

• Hi! It's me again, and I again have some interesting(ish?) stuff to show you. To put it simply, it's about a possible early case of the Haunted Mansion inspiring other media, dating to as early as 1973. It's in the Hannah-Barbera cartoon series Goober and the Ghost Chasers, which was a self-ripoff by Hannah-Barbera of their more popular Scooby-Doo franchise. The point is, the "sea captain" ghost in one episode is, to me, reminescent of a certain HM spook… albeit not the one you'd think based on the name.

Click image for larger version  Name:	tumblr_p4h71mMkn11u25kiio2_1280.gif Views:	2 Size:	390.8 KB ID:	8548860

Blue skin? That nose? That chin? That long hair? That left eye inexplicably bigger than the right one?

Ghost Host, is that you?

Click image for larger version  Name:	latest?cb=20170520092130.jpg Views:	3 Size:	41.3 KB ID:	8548863Click image for larger version  Name:	tumblr_inline_p4h6rsjfhC1smt1iz_540.gif Views:	1 Size:	269.3 KB ID:	8548864

Oh, this could very well be a coincidence. It probably is, if I'm being honest. But I can't unsee it.

By the way, I haven't seen any discussion 'round here of the trailer for the aborted Haunted Mansion animated TV series that Disney recently cancelled…

Comment

• Originally posted by Thaddeus Twain View Post

By the way, I haven't seen any discussion 'round here of the trailer for the aborted Haunted Mansion animated TV series that Disney recently cancelled…

First time I'm hearing of that.
                                    temp_39091_1443218350388_737

Mike and Karen ran toward the old house, through the old iron gate, and onto the porch for protection. Protection...? If only they had known...

Comment

• Can someone confirm the official stretching room transcript for me? I always thought the line was, "Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding...", but a couple of days ago one of the official WDW Twitter accounts shared this tweet, that quotes the line as, "Your cadaverous pallor portrays an aura of foreboding..."

Everywhere I can find reference to says it's betrays, but I need my typical Micechat confirmation before I can go back to questioning whether the Mandela effect controls my life.

Comment

• It is betrays. The actual script can be found on doombuggies.com.
                                        temp_39091_1443218350388_737

Mike and Karen ran toward the old house, through the old iron gate, and onto the porch for protection. Protection...? If only they had known...

Comment

• New LF post up.

Comment

Working...
                                          X