Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Grinning Ghost View Post

First time I'm hearing of that.
    You people need to pay more attention to the Tumblr Side of the Haunted Mansion Fandom. It's been flourishing these past few years. Point is ā€” here's the video:

The series was to be directed by Shannon Tindle, an independant animation director known most recently for the acclaimed stop-motion feature, Kubo and the Two Strings, and animated in the same style as Disney's Tangled - The Series. As you can see in this trailer, it would have focused on a young woman who ends up in the Mansion and tries to figure out how to keep'em unruly happy haunts in place. It would have drawn heavily on the fanmade lore to progressively reveal more backstory for miscellaneous spooks, slowly advancing a plot that would have truly come together in the third season.

But then Disney didn't pick it up.

BAH.

Comment

• Poor Margaret Hamilton....did you know that she is the highest ranking female villain on the big screen, number 4 of all villains!....she has a great screen history and on TV also, many appearances, on TV appearance on that great Krofft show, Sigmund and the Sea Monsters....though I never saw any Sea Monsters on Laferney Road...so no idea how they came up with that ocean concept in the middle of JoshuaTree.

Comment

• Another "close but probably not, but amazingly close" is from the 1965 ABC show "Milton the Monster" which contains two monsters named "Heebie" and "Jeebie." "Jeebie" is the hairy one, but "Heebie" looks remarkably like the Hatbox Ghost, without hatbox.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigcatrik View Post
          Another "close but probably not, but amazingly close" is from the 1965 ABC show "Milton the Monster" which contains two monsters named "Heebie" and "Jeebie." "Jeebie" is the hairy one, but "Heebie" looks remarkably like the Hatbox Ghost, without hatbox.

Your picture's not working for me. I looked it up, though, andā€¦ yeah, it's close but if we go per Marc Davis concept art Hattie started out as more of a creepyman than a skeleton, and he didn't always have his trademark High Collar of Doom. So I think Lon Chaney in London After Midnight is still the biggest contender.

For the record, I think 'Heebie' also looks a lot like Henry Ravenswood if he had hair. Same color scheme. But then, it's probably that both are based more or less closely on the Phantom of the Opera and similar imagery.

Comment

• The show "Once Upon a Time" is going to include Madame Leota in an upcoming episode.

https://cartermatt.com/293496/once-u...ion-character/
            "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

......... .....May April March!.....................

Comment

• Well, well, well!

Comment

• I saw some of it but not all of it. Interesting that she's definitely a bad guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thaddeus Twain View Post

You people need to pay more attention to the Tumblr Side of the Haunted Mansion Fandom. It's been flourishing these past few years. Point is ā€” here's the video:

The series was to be directed by Shannon Tindle, an independant animation director known most recently for the acclaimed stop-motion feature, Kubo and the Two Strings, and animated in the same style as Disney's Tangled - The Series. As you can see in this trailer, it would have focused on a young woman who ends up in the Mansion and tries to figure out how to keep'em unruly happy haunts in place. It would have drawn heavily on the fanmade lore to progressively reveal more backstory for miscellaneous spooks, slowly advancing a plot that would have truly come together in the third season.

But then Disney didn't pick it up.

BAH.
                  The only animated haunted Mansion project I've heard of is the currently stalled out Halloween special that had Gris Grimly attached as Executive producer and Art director. Oh and of course the also stalled out live action film with Guillermo Del Toro attached ot it.
                  The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

Comment

• Originally posted by seafaring_ghost View Post

The only animated haunted Mansion project I've heard of is the currently stalled out Halloween special that had Gris Grimly attached as Executive producer and Art director. Oh and of course the also stalled out live action film with Guillermo Del Toro attached to it.
                    According to Tindle, the Gris Grimly special (which is probably cancelled at this point) was being developped completely separate from his series.

Comment

• Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                      Can someone confirm the official stretching room transcript for me? I always thought the line was, "Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding...", but a couple of days ago one of the official WDW Twitter accounts shared this tweet, that quotes the line as, "Your cadaverous pallor portrays an aura of foreboding..."

Everywhere I can find reference to says it's betrays, but I need my typical Micechat confirmation before I can go back to questioning whether the Mandela effect controls my life.
                      The Haunted Mansion (transcript)

Foyer:

(Ghost Host When hinges creak in doorless chambers, and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls; Whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still - that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight!

Stretching Gallery:

Welcome, foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion. I am your host, your... ghost host. Kindly step all the way in please and make room for everyone. There's no turning back now.

Our tour begins here in this gallery where you see paintings of some of our guests as they appeared in their corruptible, mortal state.

Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding, almost as though you sense a disquieting metamorphosis. Is this haunted room actually stretching? Or is it your imagination, hmm?
                      sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

• It's me again and I have another little something to show you. Will my repeated input bring this thread back from the dead? Time will tell, I suppose. It's an illustration from Die Muskete, 1919. I don't know whether it realistically could have influenced Davis's Hearse-Coach, but it's fun to compare nonetheless.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_ogr62s2VnF1qbtrumo1_540.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	8550530

Name:	davisart2.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	8550531

Also, the guy on the left looks like a capeless Phantom, but any skeleton with a top hat looks like that, to be honest.

Comment

• Fun to look at whether or not "influence" is present!

Comment

• Originally posted by Thaddeus Twain View Post
                            That left eye inexplicably bigger than the right one?

Ghost Host, is that you?

Click image for larger version Name:	latest?cb=20170520092130.jpg Views:	3 Size:	41.3 KB ID:	8548863Click image for larger version Name:	tumblr_inline_p4h6rsjfhC1smt1iz_540.gif Views:	1 Size:	269.3 KB ID:	8548864

Oh, this could very well be a coincidence. It probably is, if I'm being honest. But I can't unsee it.
                            There's also a famous mask called the "Shock Monster" (originally "Horror," designed by Keith Ward) that was marketed from the mid-50s on by the Topstone mask company that has that one exaggerated eye. Here's a documentary about that mask:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMs1emrAye8

Comment

• All very interesting, but I think in this case there is no reason to look further than the obvious and indisputable inspiration for Hatchet Man:

One of the readers at the LF blog drew my attention to another possible HM influence, and it's good enough to put into the latest post, so there's an update now. It's from a 1964 film, and it features a man in a haunted castle looking down at an empty dining room, when suddenly ghosts from the past appear, including waltzers.

Comment

• Neat! On the subject of the Hatchet Man, while the face is indubitably the Old Witch's, I feel like there might have been cross-pollination with her male fellow "Tales from the Crypt" host, the Crypt Keeper. *He* (I'm talking about this humanoid, non-corpse self from before the redesign) has the long stringy hair, the head for puns, the blue/green suit, and he was occasionally seen holding a cleaver.

Comment

• So the author of a new "Tales from Adventureland" book series was a story artist at Disney who worked on some unproduced animation projects based on Pirates and Haunted Mansion back in the 90s and early 00s.

http://www.jasonlethcoe-author.com/2...-had-wish.html

He uses boards from the Mansion project as a header on his Twitter and I'm impressed at the deep cuts he went for character-wise with Museum of the Weird's Candleman and the Burning Miser.
                                  https://twitter.com/JasonLethcoe
                                  Last edited by FigmentJedi; 03-15-2018, 07:00 PM.
                                  M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
                                  sigpic
                                  Flickr

Comment

• Higgety riggety graveyards, FigmentJedi! I heard rumors of that animated Disney film project where a young couple ended up in the Mansion, but never could locate any storyboards or even confirmation it existed. Thank you so much for this. And wow, would I have liked to see this made! Even if the tone doesn't lookg much like what you'd assume of a Mansion movie, it at least looked very unique and creative and cartoony. Which I don't need to tell you is so much better than the 2003 movie.

Also, I am totally stealing the idea of the Candleman being the Burning Miser's minion.

Comment

• Originally posted by HBG2 View Post
                                      Just to let you guys know, I haven't popped in as often, but I still luv ya, it's just that I've been crazy busy with a full time AND a part time job these days.
                                      Planning a possible DL trip in May. Does anyone know how far out Disney posts its schedule showing down attractions?
                                      Planning an early May trip myself, Love to meet up & ride a doombuggy with HBG2! This will be my first trip since 2009, first with the HBG, and first time without kids... just myself & the mrs. A couple of senior citizens checking out a nice retirement villa.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Thaddeus Twain;n8550529]It's me again and I have another little something to show you. Will my repeated input bring this thread back from the dead? Time will tell, I suppose. It's an illustration from Die Muskete, 1919. I don't know whether it realistically could have influenced Davis's Hearse-Coach, but it's fun to compare nonetheless.

Name:	tumblr_ogr62s2VnF1qbtrumo1_540.jpg
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	8550530

QUOTE]

That is a fun picture! The lights and feathers on the hearse/horse were common for funeral hearses so I doubt it had a direct influence, but seeing things like that are a delight.

I think it is great that there are new discoveries all the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by hubbub View Post

Planning an early May trip myself, Love to meet up & ride a doombuggy with HBG2! This will be my first trip since 2009, first with the HBG, and first time without kids... just myself & the mrs. A couple of senior citizens checking out a nice retirement villa.
                                          Alas, the May trip is off.

Comment

Working...
                                          X