Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Duckzz View Post
    Here are some pictures I took of the Ballroom table ghost maquettes.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bJsxw4Et2adUAKk77
    Great.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

......... .....May April March!.....................

Comment

• Not sure if anyone has discussed or cares, but watching the WDW hitchhiking ghost effect on youtube reveals some clever technology used to make guest's heads disappear. The people in the doombuggies are not lit by simple spotlights, but by video projectors. The front projectors are synched with the projectors behind the mirrors. When a ghost does a "head vanish" routine, the front projectors display a black bar or circle over the guests face. Basically this means their face doesn't reflect into the mirror (glass) in front of them. Then the back projector can insert an image and make it look like their head is gone. Pretty clever effect there. I still despise it, but obviously they spent a lot of time figuring out how to make it work.

https://youtu.be/ZKVd-xwxgJs?t=7m15s
      Here you can see the projector "spotlight" creeping up onto the doombuggy. Very similar to the water projection effect on Ariel's Undersea Adventure

https://youtu.be/ZKVd-xwxgJs?t=7m27s
      Keep an eye on the doombuggy with the girl in white and man in black. When the camera moves to the left, you can see their faces are dimmer than everyone else's. There is a black bar projected on their faces.

Comment

• Originally posted by whodudis View Post
        Not sure if anyone has discussed or cares, but watching the WDW hitchhiking ghost effect on youtube reveals some clever technology used to make guest's heads disappear. The people in the doombuggies are not lit by simple spotlights, but by video projectors. The front projectors are synched with the projectors behind the mirrors. When a ghost does a "head vanish" routine, the front projectors display a black bar or circle over the guests face. Basically this means their face doesn't reflect into the mirror (glass) in front of them. Then the back projector can insert an image and make it look like their head is gone. Pretty clever effect there. I still despise it, but obviously they spent a lot of time figuring out how to make it work.

https://youtu.be/ZKVd-xwxgJs?t=7m15s
        Here you can see the projector "spotlight" creeping up onto the doombuggy. Very similar to the water projection effect on Ariel's Undersea Adventure

https://youtu.be/ZKVd-xwxgJs?t=7m27s
        Keep an eye on the doombuggy with the girl in white and man in black. When the camera moves to the left, you can see their faces are dimmer than everyone else's. There is a black bar projected on their faces.
        Interesting. Though I much preferred the original effect, I’m not entirely opposed to WDI finding out a new way of making the effect. That said, why they spent all of that time and money implementing an effect that doesn’t work well and that completely clashes with the aesthetic of the rest of the mansion and that barely resembles the animatronic figures is beyond me. IMO, they should have kept the original mirror technique and simply updated the animatronics on the track to move more realistically or to move in a way that looks as though they’re interacting with the guests. Part of me is still hoping that the current effect is somehow a placeholder for something better, but I know that’s not the case.

Comment

• Today is the last day to experience the Disneyland Haunted Mansion until January 17th, 2019. Cherish the precious hours the classic ride has left for this year.

Comment

• That's it, it's over, it's done with. The Disneyland Haunted Mansion is done for the year. See you in January 2019 Disneyland Haunted Mansion.

Comment

• Damn, totally didn't realize HM was closing this week. We're taking my girlfriend's little brother for his birthday on Saturday (he's only ever been once when he was too little to really remember), bit disappointed we won't be getting to do this. And considering we're not renewing our passes, so much for one last chance to ride the original, even if I do enjoy HMH.

Comment

• Holy cow, this thread is still going on! I remember the first one!
                The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

• HM enthusiasts: Anyone know when merchandise commemorating HM's 50th Anniversary will appear in the Park? The family and I are visiting DLR in early December and are hoping to empty the piggy banks...
                  Now don't close your eyes, and don't try to hide...

Next trip to Disneyland: December 3-6, 2011. I can't wait!!!

Comment

• This may have been covered before, but search isn't giving up the goods... Do we know anything about the foyer wall sconces/candelabras? Who they're manufactured by, etc.? I've seen a few pop up in auctions and on instagram over the past few years but their owners are tight-lipped about what they know.

I recently discovered that the corridor of doors escutcheons were made by a company called Weiser (search for " Weiser Bronze Provincial Filagree Spanish Door Escutcheon Trim Plate") and then the serpent handles were carved by Disney, so it's possible that they were bought off the shelf and not created specifically for the ride.

Comment

• Someone built a replica of the HM in a neighborhood in Georgia. I came across this article in the LA Times from 2012 and nothing in the Micechat search came up as being posted before so here you go.

It was still up for sale in 2014 according to this site: http://www.atlantahomesguru.com/blog...tt-hermes.html. (According to other real estate sites, they exaggerated the sq footage. It's listed at 7300, not 10,000 sqft. on several sites.) It has since sold, evidently.

Anyone heard of this?
                      A 10,000-square-foot replica of the Disneyland Haunted Mansion attraction minus the 999 ghosts will go up for auction Wednesday on eBay for $873,000 or the next highest bid. Photos: A virtual tour
                      "Smiles everyone, smiles!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dminor View Post
                        This may have been covered before, but search isn't giving up the goods... Do we know anything about the foyer wall sconces/candelabras? Who they're manufactured by, etc.? I've seen a few pop up in auctions and on instagram over the past few years but their owners are tight-lipped about what they know.

I recently discovered that the corridor of doors escutcheons were made by a company called Weiser (search for " Weiser Bronze Provincial Filagree Spanish Door Escutcheon Trim Plate") and then the serpent handles were carved by Disney, so it's possible that they were bought off the shelf and not created specifically for the ride.
                        That's actually a great question. I've been on the hunt for other theme park light fixtures over the years, and I can almost guarantee it's an off the shelf item to which Disney added custom candles. I'm less positive about the main chandelier - a lot of the "character" lights at Magic Kingdom were basically hacked together from various stock lights in interesting ways to create a whimsical look. That project was also overseen by Emile Kuri, so it's possible Disney got whole of a number of light fixtures and welded them together to make the big chandelier.

Comment

• The Christmas season has returned to Disneyland's Haunted Mansion. But I would say singing Christmas carols in September is a little too much, wouldn't you say?

Comment

• Bryan Cogman, a Game of Thrones writer, is working on the Guillermo del Toro HM movie script. https://deadline.com/2018/09/game-of...os-1202464732/

Comment

• From FoxxFur's blog
                              https://passport2dreams.blogspot.com...wish-list.html

Ghostly Grievances

Okay, here's some petty stuff. I said I had some, so let's get detailed!

I think the 2007 Haunted Mansion refurb is one of the best Disney attraction redos ever, and secured a future for this beloved attraction. But that doesn't mean everything's exactly perfect. And here are a few of my pet peeves I'd personally love the address about my home away from home.

The first isn't so much a peeve as it is just something I still don't understand. In 2007, the Graveyard vocals were finally fixed and synchronized after about 15 years of being all over the place, which was great. But for some reason, they replaced most of the vocal tracks with new ones!

I don't think the new vocals are awful or anything, but I still don't understand why this was done. I don't even think it dramatically changes the ride experience, but the sheer weirdness of even thinking of doing something like that still just nags at me.

My second grievance is at the start of the attraction. Until 2007, Haunted Mansion kicked off with a slow crawl past some creepy portraits with follow-you eyes. I loved this introduction to the ride, setting to my mind the perfect tone of the house being alive and watching you. I don't think the replacement scene is bad, but what puzzles me is that the portraits were relocated to the barren Load area but the eyes were covered up!

I think if anything the effect would be even better on foot, and give people something to really enjoy while in line to get on the cars. I'm positive that this one isn't WDI's fault, though - I suspect that Operations requested the effect be axed under the belief that such an interactive effect would cause a bottleneck. I'd like to point out that such an effect has worked fine at Disneyland since August 1969 without causing a bottleneck, but given that Ops themselves insist on running the attraction improperly, stuffing far too many people into each Stretch Room and therefore causing a bottleneck, perhaps their wishes shouldn't carry so much weight.

My final gripe is a bigger one, and it has to do with something that I do think negatively affects the attraction. In 1969, Claude Coats was given a chance to re-think the Mansion for Florida, and made a number of improvements which I think make the MK model the definitive version of the attraction.

One of the biggest changes was in the Corridor of Doors, which dramatically improved the impact of the scene. Now lit in oppressive red, the scene was given a visually improved breathing door effect and a new climax, as a dead looking pair of hands are prying the top of the final door off its hinges. To my young mind this was an iconographic high point of the attraction, a moment where it really felt like the Haunted Mansion was a direct and immediate threat.

It also greatly improves the end of the scene. At Disneyland, few guests notice the last breathing door on the left because their attention has been directed off to the right. When the Doombuggies pivot past the final door and turn to face the clock, most people naturally keep looking straight ahead instead off looking down to see the bulging effect. Moving the main punctuation up to the top of the door simply stages the effect where most are prepared to see it, and also prepares you to be looking up in time to see the clock. The effect was a sudden, startling flash as you realize that the ghosts are getting ever nearer to you.

Well, in 2007 they removed the red lights - and they removed the hands. I was told at the time that an executive inside WDI decreed that no ghosts should be seen before Madame Leota summons them, to which I say fine - but that also means you've gotta take the hands off the coffin a few feet away. Personally I think the hands were a great touch, and as something drawn by Marc Davis and okayed by Claude Coats, I trust the opinions of those guys more than anyone else. I'm resigned to never seeing the blood red lighting again, but let's bring back the hands, please?

Tokyo's version shows how the gag looked in context, video by LMG_Vids
                              Oh, and you know the changing portrait in the Foyer? It's projected from the rear, and bounced off a mirror, meaning it's flipped twice and is seen from the right way around from the guest side. In 2007, somebody forgot about this, and flipped it to account for the rear projection, but not the mirror. He's been facing the wrong way for 11 years.

Comment

• There was an interesting comment regarding some long-forgotten Haunted Mansion effects at WDW:

As for Haunted Mansion I don't think anything you mentioned is petty, it's annoying to me that they slowly keep changing the WDW version to the DL version. The Corridor of Doors scene in particular was much different for the first 10 years or so that the ride was open, and it had a bit of a narrative to it that tied the whole Corridor together, but that's completely lost now...

The "green light and smoke machine" effect you posted as a Tokyo Disneyland effect, was also in WDW up until the early 1980's, and the second to last the door that bulges out from the middle, which still has the green light, also had hands on either side of it and the smoke machine effect as well. Nearly all the doors in the corridor had green lights behind them, and one of the other doors had a stationary hand on it near the top of the door frame... but what was apparent was it all related to the first scene with the coffin, and the green light seemed to somehow be responsible for "reanimating" the corpse in the coffin. Then you'd see the same green light and same hands trying to escape from behind the doors, and as you left the Corridor you saw the shadow of a hand swiping passed the face of Grandfathers clock, giving the impression that one of the corpses had finally broken free.

There were also 8 black-lights hidden in the ceiling of the Corridor that that made the "whites of the eyes" in the Demon-Eye wallpaper glow in the dark, but it all had a very psychedelic 70's vibe to it that seemed real outdated after EPCOT opened. The black-lights were the first thing to go, then the smoke-machines, and once the smoke was gone you could see that the hands on the second to last door that bulged from middle had no arms, they ended at the wrists like the hands in the coffin, so they were removed, and then it just limped along with only the red lights in the chandeliers and the one door with hands until the late 90's as you mentioned... but I'd like to see some version of that brought back

Comment

• Another Tales from the Haunted Mansion book came out this summer.
                                  https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Haunted.../dp/1484714725

An excerpt:
                                  Click image for larger version

Name:	tales from the hm 3 excerpt.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	8568756

"There are some who claim it began as the residence of a certain Lord Gracey--heir to the Gracey fortune--who died under unusual circumstances. His body was discovered hanging under a skylight in the main foyer."

WRONG!

Comment

• Originally posted by HMPOTCPurist View Post
                                    From FoxxFur's blog
                                    https://passport2dreams.blogspot.com...wish-list.html

Ghostly Grievances

Okay, here's some petty stuff. I said I had some, so let's get detailed!

I think the 2007 Haunted Mansion refurb is one of the best Disney attraction redos ever, and secured a future for this beloved attraction. But that doesn't mean everything's exactly perfect. And here are a few of my pet peeves I'd personally love the address about my home away from home.

The first isn't so much a peeve as it is just something I still don't understand. In 2007, the Graveyard vocals were finally fixed and synchronized after about 15 years of being all over the place, which was great. But for some reason, they replaced most of the vocal tracks with new ones!

I don't think the new vocals are awful or anything, but I still don't understand why this was done. I don't even think it dramatically changes the ride experience, but the sheer weirdness of even thinking of doing something like that still just nags at me.

My second grievance is at the start of the attraction. Until 2007, Haunted Mansion kicked off with a slow crawl past some creepy portraits with follow-you eyes. I loved this introduction to the ride, setting to my mind the perfect tone of the house being alive and watching you. I don't think the replacement scene is bad, but what puzzles me is that the portraits were relocated to the barren Load area but the eyes were covered up!

I think if anything the effect would be even better on foot, and give people something to really enjoy while in line to get on the cars. I'm positive that this one isn't WDI's fault, though - I suspect that Operations requested the effect be axed under the belief that such an interactive effect would cause a bottleneck. I'd like to point out that such an effect has worked fine at Disneyland since August 1969 without causing a bottleneck, but given that Ops themselves insist on running the attraction improperly, stuffing far too many people into each Stretch Room and therefore causing a bottleneck, perhaps their wishes shouldn't carry so much weight.

My final gripe is a bigger one, and it has to do with something that I do think negatively affects the attraction. In 1969, Claude Coats was given a chance to re-think the Mansion for Florida, and made a number of improvements which I think make the MK model the definitive version of the attraction.

One of the biggest changes was in the Corridor of Doors, which dramatically improved the impact of the scene. Now lit in oppressive red, the scene was given a visually improved breathing door effect and a new climax, as a dead looking pair of hands are prying the top of the final door off its hinges. To my young mind this was an iconographic high point of the attraction, a moment where it really felt like the Haunted Mansion was a direct and immediate threat.

It also greatly improves the end of the scene. At Disneyland, few guests notice the last breathing door on the left because their attention has been directed off to the right. When the Doombuggies pivot past the final door and turn to face the clock, most people naturally keep looking straight ahead instead off looking down to see the bulging effect. Moving the main punctuation up to the top of the door simply stages the effect where most are prepared to see it, and also prepares you to be looking up in time to see the clock. The effect was a sudden, startling flash as you realize that the ghosts are getting ever nearer to you.

Well, in 2007 they removed the red lights - and they removed the hands. I was told at the time that an executive inside WDI decreed that no ghosts should be seen before Madame Leota summons them, to which I say fine - but that also means you've gotta take the hands off the coffin a few feet away. Personally I think the hands were a great touch, and as something drawn by Marc Davis and okayed by Claude Coats, I trust the opinions of those guys more than anyone else. I'm resigned to never seeing the blood red lighting again, but let's bring back the hands, please?
                                    Tokyo's version shows how the gag looked in context, video by LMG_Vids
                                    Oh, and you know the changing portrait in the Foyer? It's projected from the rear, and bounced off a mirror, meaning it's flipped twice and is seen from the right way around from the guest side. In 2007, somebody forgot about this, and flipped it to account for the rear projection, but not the mirror. He's been facing the wrong way for 11 years.

I agree 100% with this post. The part of the WDW mansion that I sorely miss the most from my childhood is the original portrait gallery; the sinister 11 were actually sinister there. When I first saw the Disneyland effect replacing that scene and the portraits moved to the load area, I wondered why they couldn’t have done the opposite: add the changing portraits to the far wall in the load area and keep the portrait gallery the way it was. Perhaps there simply wasn’t room in the show building to have a window with flashing lightning somewhere in the load area, but I remember being 8 years old and being very unnerved by all of the glowing red eyes staring at me. It created a claustrophobic effect and really did make you feel immediately as though the house and whatever was still inside of it were watching you very closely. I also loved hearing the organ track without any background sound effects for just that one stretch. The lack of any other sound in that scene just added to the eeriness. The changing portraits aren’t the worst thing that they could have done there, but I really do miss the original scene terribly when I ride the redone mansion. Ditto for the attic bride and queue, but everyone’s beaten those topics to death already.

Comment

• The "Disneylandification" of the WDW HM is utterly baffling. I don't see what they hope to gain by homogenizing the two, but as Foxxy has pointed out more than once, that seems to be the drift.
                                      "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

......... .....May April March!.....................

Comment

• Yay, somebody's reading my blog! ^_^

As for the comment, it's very interesting but I think that person has conflated their memories of the Haunted Mansion and Snow White's Adventures, which had a section in backlight with glowing eyes. There's definitely no call for UV light in that section of the ride on any vintage lighting diagram I've examined. It's easy mistake to make since Snow White '71 and HM shared so much visual and design DNA; for years I swore that one of the spiders in the ride would slide down a track at the cars, but I was misremembering that from Snow White.

As for their being another hand on one of the doors, that's very possible; I think a lot of props went missing over the years. There used to be props on top of the mantle in the foyer, for example.

Comment

• Originally posted by HMPOTCPurist View Post

The "green light and smoke machine" effect you posted as a Tokyo Disneyland effect, was also in WDW up until the early 1980's, and the second to last the door that bulges out from the middle, which still has the green light, also had hands on either side of it and the smoke machine effect as well. Nearly all the doors in the corridor had green lights behind them, and one of the other doors had a stationary hand on it near the top of the door frame... but what was apparent was it all related to the first scene with the coffin, and the green light seemed to somehow be responsible for "reanimating" the corpse in the coffin. Then you'd see the same green light and same hands trying to escape from behind the doors, and as you left the Corridor you saw the shadow of a hand swiping passed the face of Grandfathers clock, giving the impression that one of the corpses had finally broken free.
                                          That's a good point about the green light, I don't think it's been discussed here.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 7.21.04 PM.png
Views:	57
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	8569112

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 7.18.20 PM.png
Views:	53
Size:	340.5 KB
ID:	8569110

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 7.20.03 PM.png
Views:	55
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	8569111

Green "fire" in the fireplace. What's that about?

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 7.24.28 PM.png
Views:	58
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	8569113

Comment

Working...
                                          X