Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HMPOTCPurist View Post
    Another Tales from the Haunted Mansion book came out this summer.
    https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Haunted.../dp/1484714725

An excerpt:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	tales from the hm 3 excerpt.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	8568756

"There are some who claim it began as the residence of a certain Lord Gracey--heir to the Gracey fortune--who died under unusual circumstances. His body was discovered hanging under a skylight in the main foyer."

WRONG!
    At least they're deliberately playing up the "There's a bunch of stories about this place's origins and you can't really nail it down to any specific one" angle that the Marvel Comic did.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
    sigpic
    Flickr

Comment

That's a good point about the green light, I don't think it's been discussed here.

Green "fire" in the fireplace. What's that about?
      It's straight out of Ken Anderson's 1957-58 playbook: "The room 'comes to life' as a green fire ignites itself in the fireplace, and an empty rocking chair beside begins to rock." I suppose the greenness of the fire is an immediate clue that it is supernatural. After all, green is a "cool" color, unsuitable for normal fire. It's also the color of phosphorescence and moldy decay, which probably explains its presence in the coffin.

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

......... .....May April March!.....................

Comment

Another Tales from the Haunted Mansion book came out this summer.
        https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Haunted.../dp/1484714725

An excerpt:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	tales from the hm 3 excerpt.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	8568756

"There are some who claim it began as the residence of a certain Lord Gracey--heir to the Gracey fortune--who died under unusual circumstances. His body was discovered hanging under a skylight in the main foyer."

WRONG!
        What do you mean, wrong? For one thing, all the text claims is that "there are some who claim" that yaddah yaddah yaddah. Which, as we know, is technically true. The book isn't getting its hands dirty on whether "those who claim" are actually *right*.

And second, the Master Gracey from the family plot is *buried in the family plot*. It would make perfect sense vthat even though the particular guy in the tombstone (who may or may not be the Aging Man from the portrait) is not the Ghost Host/Hatchet Man, his relative who *did* own the house also had the name Gracey.

Comment

• Originally posted by HBG2 View Post
          I suppose the greenness of the fire is an immediate clue that it is supernatural. After all, green is a "cool" color, unsuitable for normal fire.
          No kidding.

Comment

No kidding.
            Well to be fair green fire *can* be achieved in real-life, though only with certain chemicals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thaddeus Twain View Post

Well to be fair green fire *can* be achieved in real-life, though only with certain chemicals.
              Well, to be even fairer, I said normal fire was not green, so your point, while true, is also irrelevant.

Comment

• Watch: Guillermo del Toro Visits Mickey’s Garage in ‘Roadster Racers’
                In the new episode, “Goof Mansion,” Goofy and the gang have to spend a night in his uncle’s haunted mansion in order for Goofy to inherit it. Since it’s Halloween, things get spooky when Goofy’s friends start to gradually disappear. Del Toro fittingly voices the mysterious Mr. Talbot, Uncle Goof’s business partner who attempts to scare them out of the challenge.

Comment

• Hey, I discovered this PDF covering Joel Rathbone's Kenwood Mansion: https://rscj.org/system/files/news/a...heeler2012.pdf
                  Last edited by MLQ; 10-10-2018, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MLQ View Post
                    Hey, I discovered this PDF covering Joel Rathbone's Kenwood Mansion: https://rscj.org/system/files/news/a...heeler2012.pdf
                    Very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing that.

Comment

• Originally posted by HBG2 View Post
                      The "Disneylandification" of the WDW HM is utterly baffling. I don't see what they hope to gain by homogenizing the two, but as Foxxy has pointed out more than once, that seems to be the drift.
                      But WDW still has no Hatbox Ghost? Or any plans for him?

Comment

• Originally posted by bigcatrik View Post

I think his comment was partially in reply to my comment about the original sinister 11 in their sinister, claustrophobic setting being replaced by the Disneyland changing portraits, among many other changes to the WDW mansion such as in the corridor of doors that have made much of it similar to Disneyland where it previously had its own identity.

And I wouldn’t be too surprised if they add the hatbox ghost for the 50th anniversary, though I admittedly wouldn’t mind not having to travel to California to see him. I just want the sinister 11 back in their original spots with the glowing eyes.

Also, in case people didn’t see this, apparently Disney is touting PLQ (which I was hoping would be slated for demolition soon) as a great idea, so it looks as though it’s here to stay for a while:
                        https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...unted-mansion/
                        Last edited by Manicotti_legs; 10-18-2018, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigcatrik View Post

I would not be surprised if he showed up for WDW's 50th. Removing PLQ and CG Hitchhikers would also be nice but likely won't happen.

Comment

• I have not read every post in this 636 page topic, but I can shed a little light on the "hole" in the lower left of panel number 2. It was fired from a pellet gun when the mansion was young, around 1971 or so. The gun was fired pointing down from the omnimover but did not penetrate the glass. The pellet caromed off the glass and was found in the Perry's ghost area under the omnimover track. The force of the pellet caused glass to come off on both sides, and the concentric rings make it look like a hole. The location in the ride and show building makes it impossible to replace the glass without opening the roof to mount the new pane. Glass that size is not easy to make, transport, and install. As the pane is still in stable condition (to this day even) decorators were called to but a spider web around it to make it less visible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moviela View Post
                              I have not read every post in this 636 page topic, but I can shed a little light on the "hole" in the lower left of panel number 2. It was fired from a pellet gun when the mansion was young, around 1971 or so. The gun was fired pointing down from the omnimover but did not penetrate the glass. The pellet caromed off the glass and was found in the Perry's ghost area under the omnimover track. The force of the pellet caused glass to come off on both sides, and the concentric rings make it look like a hole. The location in the ride and show building makes it impossible to replace the glass without opening the roof to mount the new pane. Glass that size is not easy to make, transport, and install. As the pane is still in stable condition (to this day even) decorators were called to but a spider web around it to make it less visible.
                              The oldest account of the phenomenon that I know of is from Don Bertino's "FAQ on the Haunted Mansion", in 1996, when the Internet was young:

As you're going through it look and you'll notice what's

supposed to look like a spider web on one of the sheets of glass. (It's on one

of the last ones you see) The story I heard behind this (from a HM Cast Member

and a good friend of mine) is that one night somebody actually shot through the

glass, leaving a bullet hole. This was confirmed by Mark Keiser (Retlaw 72-76

Security 77-81) Summer 1974 "The guy that shot there presumably also shot the

hole in the last or second to last window of the Primeval World diorama. Later

investigation determined the hole to be .22 caliber (in both places), and bullet

fragments matched (courtesy of Anaheim PD) the holes in Adventures in Inner Space

(he shot up the snow flakes)." There is another bullet sized hole beneath the

duelist on the right, so perhaps a deranged guest was shooting at "the man with

the gun". They knew that to replace the glass they'd have to take the roof off

the building first, so they decided to simply disguise it as a spider web. BTW,

there is a spare pane in the back lot.

It appears that the event took place in the summer of 74 and a named source is quoted, Mark Keiser. The text is a little confusing, but it appears that Keiser was a CM from 1972-76 and worked in Security from 1977-81 and was perhaps the HM Cast Member referred to at the beginning of the paragraph. ("Retlaw" looks like an online nic. "Walter" backwards, of course. This might have been Keiser's nic in the community Bertino is writing to and for in 1996.)

Comment

• On YouTube, Offhand Disney has been posting a video every day for the month of October about different HM topics. Lots of stuff from these threads and the Long-Forgotten blog. Some inaccurate info here and there, but overall pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC68...GDd2Z-g/videos

Comment

On YouTube, Offhand Disney has been posting a video every day for the month of October about different HM topics. Lots of stuff from these threads and the Long-Forgotten blog. Some inaccurate info here and there, but overall pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC68...GDd2Z-g/videos
                                  Nothing worse then a Youtuber who rips info from well researched blogs, makes a video out of the info using footage and photos taken by others, sprinkles in some false assumptions and blatantly false facts, then has the audacity to set up a patreon and request money for their "work"

Comment

• Originally posted by ajburk97 View Post

Nothing worse then a Youtuber who rips info from well researched blogs, makes a video out of the info using footage and photos taken by others, sprinkles in some false assumptions and blatantly false facts, then has the audacity to set up a patreon and request money for their "work"
                                    Dude's SEA videos were basically just reading the Disney Wiki articles I wrote for the most part.
                                    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
                                    sigpic
                                    Flickr

Comment

• This Friday, November 2nd will be the 32nd anniversary of the passing of Paul Frees, the Ghost Host voice for the Disneyland Haunted Mansion. May he rest in peace.

Comment

• There appears to be something wrong with the links to the old Threads, way back on Page 1 of this one. They all come out as "Error 404" if you click them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thaddeus Twain View Post
                                          There appears to be something wrong with the links to the old Threads, way back on Page 1 of this one. They all come out as "Error 404" if you click them.
                                          yup, looks like all of them are dead.
                                          HauntedMansion.info - Mansion information, pictures, and projects

Comment

Working...
                                          X