Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well… make them come back! Someone!… Don't be fooled by their title: far from long-forgotten, those threads are all fondly-remembered!

Comment

• I'd actually be very curious to skim through those threads and see what the Long Forgotten discussion was like at it's peak.

Comment

• Heh! What do you think I wanted to do when I realized the links were broken?

No, but seriously, could someone ping a… MiceChat authority person?… This is very concerning.

Comment

• Praise everlasting to thee, PhotoMatt! For thou hast brought our salvation.

Comment

• Thanks, bro.
            "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

......... .....May April March!.....................

Comment

• Some news (and a new photo) on the Phantom Manor refurbishment: https://attractionsmagazine.com/phan...nor-interview/

Comment

• Originally posted by HM999 View Post
                Some news (and a new photo) on the Phantom Manor refurbishment: https://attractionsmagazine.com/phan...nor-interview/
                Does anyone else find this extended refurbishment a bit suspicious? I know it was very thourough, but I don't understand the constant delays for what is basically an omnimover attraction (i.e. no water features to maintain, etc). All the "Illusioneering" effects seem to have been already developed and in place with a teaser that they revealed in the early summer. The exterior was already finished before the October deadline. They first pushed the opening to February 2019, and now it is around April. I think they ran into some severe structural damage last minute that needed lengthy fixing - I don't find another explanation on what could have caused these delays. Ideas?

Comment

• Originally posted by mtlchuck View Post

Does anyone else find this extended refurbishment a bit suspicious? I know it was very thourough, but I don't understand the constant delays for what is basically an omnimover attraction (i.e. no water features to maintain, etc). All the "Illusioneering" effects seem to have been already developed and in place with a teaser that they revealed in the early summer. The exterior was already finished before the October deadline. They first pushed the opening to February 2019, and now it is around April. I think they ran into some severe structural damage last minute that needed lengthy fixing - I don't find another explanation on what could have caused these delays. Ideas?
                  I think your guess is probably as good as any. Previous experience suggests that there can be any number of mundane reasons for long delays. Funds get held up while decisions are being made about priorities as competing needs are discussed. Remember how a previous version of a new HBG was ready to go in 2009 but got shelved at the last minute so the $ could go to the Ghost Galaxy? Or what you said: maybe they found out the place has termites or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by HBG2 View Post

I think your guess is probably as good as any. Previous experience suggests that there can be any number of mundane reasons for long delays. Funds get held up while decisions are being made about priorities as competing needs are discussed. Remember how a previous version of a new HBG was ready to go in 2009 but got shelved at the last minute so the $ could go to the Ghost Galaxy? Or what you said: maybe they found out the place has termites or something.
                    This is interesting to read, was there ever any elaboration on how far along it was or how it might have worked?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wandering Optimist View Post

This is interesting to read, was there ever any elaboration on how far along it was or how it might have worked?
                      Not much detail. I know who worked on it (names somewhere in my notes), and I know that it was ready to go. It was announced here in MiceAge:

They had cleared the area where he originally stood in the attic and placed a clue there: a hatrack with hats matching those of Connie's hubbies:

How would it have worked? No details are available, but plans for one of the pins put on sale at the time, as well as a small HBG figurine made to house a different pin, suggest that the hatbox was going to rest on a stack of luggage, so perhaps the new effect utilized a small Pepper's Ghost illusion, reflecting a head hidden inside that luggage:

Comment

• Thanks! That's really interesting to read. I'd kill to hear about all the stuff that WDI works on that just winds up getting shelved

Comment

• Okay, it's official. I will be at Disneyland for the HM 50th Anny. To be precise, I'll be there August 8, 9, and 10.

Wanted to get the tix before the price hike after February. Speaking of which, I don't understand people who gripe about ticket prices. I'm not doing park-hopper, so I'm saving $50 for not using up a whole day at Calif Ad, so it comes to less than $94 per day for three days at DL, including a "magic morning." Does anyone really think they didn't get a C note's worth of entertainment after a full day at DL? If so, my advice would be to go less often. You'll save money, and it will be more special when you go.

I think I've mentioned before that I've been on the HM a grand total of less than 50 times since it first opened.

Comment

• Hey, has everyone seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH5Bgv2UQts

Interview with a former Cast Member who played one of the face characters in the Haunted Mansion in 1995 and 1996, with pictures and exclusive stories. I'd never heard of this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thaddeus Twain View Post
                              Hey, has everyone seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH5Bgv2UQts

Interview with a former Cast Member who played one of the face characters in the Haunted Mansion in 1995 and 1996, with pictures and exclusive stories. I'd never heard of this.
                              Awesome, thanks for sharing! And I had heard of the knight, but never of a phantom character.

Comment

• I knew they had live actors in the HM for a special showing during the 30th Anny in 1999 (written about at Doombuggies), but I had never heard of this.

Comment

• Interesting comment on an old LF post came in today. Commenter claims that the Marc Davis "changing portrait" concept of a forlorn bride morphing into a corpse bride was NOT a changing portrait concept but a concept for the actual attic bride. See the revision to the post, the Comment by "Anonymous," and my response to it.
                                  https://longforgottenhauntedmansion....ing-heart.html

Comment

• Good news folks: in three days, the Disneyland Haunted Mansion Holiday closes to become The Haunted Mansion again. Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize!

Comment

• Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post
                                      Good news folks: in three days, the Disneyland Haunted Mansion Holiday closes to become The Haunted Mansion again. Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize!
                                      Good to hear. Reminds me that one of the things that irked me in Holiday was the projector effect in the stretching room, i think they were wanting to go a sort of stop motion effect with CGI, but it doesn't look that good at the end, and I'm unsure of that or the disembodied Jack head looked better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Emrakul View Post

Good to hear. Reminds me that one of the things that irked me in Holiday was the projector effect in the stretching room, i think they were wanting to go a sort of stop motion effect with CGI, but it doesn't look that good at the end, and I'm unsure of that or the disembodied Jack head looked better.
                                        At any rate, we'll get Paul Frees back as the Ghost Host, the one thing the Haunted Mansion Holiday lacks.

Comment

Working...
                                        X