No announcement yet.

The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish they'd change the tiger lady back to the panther lady. There's no reason why not now.

Comment

• Originally posted by HMPOTCPurist View Post
      I wish they'd change the tiger lady back to the panther lady. There's no reason why not now.
      The effect is still achieved the way it was prior to this update, it's just brighter at the moment. The Panther Lady would still suffer the pitfalls of this version of the effect.

You basically need the meat of the "After" image to be lighter in order to wash over the "Before" for an easy read of the gag.
      www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

"The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
      -X. Atencio

"Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
      ~Alice Davis

Comment

• Not to change subjects, but pix of the original family plot graveyard are scarce, and here's a new one that came my way yesterday. Not great quality, but it's still nice to have. Possibly an alternate photo from the same photo shoot that gave us a similar picture published in The Art of Disney:

The A of D shot:

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

......... .....May April March!.....................

Comment

• Originally posted by HBG2 View Post
          Familiarity is a big player here. There are things in the HM that look bad and continue to look bad, but no one ever complains because they've been like that since 1969. "Whenever candlelights flicker...." The light fixtures in the foyer flicker all right, but they're so obviously naked light bulbs that it's not even a debate. And you're standing mere inches away from them. They now have the technology to make 'em look like real candle flames, and by any sane aesthetic they should, and it wouldn't cost much to convert them, but will they? Does anyone even think about it?
          I always chuckle to myself that these are light bulbs especially since like you said technology has caught up that would allow it to look like a candle flame.
          BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

• I was at the Disneyland Mansion (back to the classic version) yesterday and there are no new improvements to report. The portraits in the hallway are all the same and no Miss April/December in sight (sigh ...). Pickwick is back in the ballroom after being missing from HMH. The only thing that was noticeable to me was that the lighting levels in the seance circle seem to have been lowered a bit. The cables going to Leota's ball were undetectable and it's been a long time since I could say that.

Comment

• Went to Disneyland yesterday.

Comment

• Thanks to a terrific, newly published 1971 photo of the original family plot by Tom Morris at the DHI Facebk site, we can for the first time locate precisely where the original berm cemetery was. You will recall that this first berm boneyard was very short-lived and merely consisted of three of the family plot stones temporarily transplanted to the berm.

The LF post on the history of the Berm Graveyard has been updated accordingly: https://longforgottenhauntedmansion....of-moving.html

Comment

• A rough recreation.

Comment

• If you're trying to orient by what's there now, figure that the Cousin Victor stone stood very roughly where the new Rolo Rumpkin stone stands.

Comment

• Originally posted by yensidtlaw1969 View Post

I think the thing about LED's is that they can work in a setting like The Haunted Mansion if used properly.

There's a difference between UVA, UVB, and UVC wavelengths and how they get things to fluoresce, and the new lighting tech that's come in the last decade seems to have muddied the waters at Disney a little. LED's are cheap and last seemingly forever, so they're appealing to use, but they generally don't suit older scenes that were reliant on fluorescent tubes. Hopefully we won't find changes like this coming over to the Mansion and causing lighting issues - but then, most of the Mansion's effects are a lot less reliant on blacklight than the average person would assume. Mainly the Graveyard ghosts use them, the Seance Circle, and Little Leota, but not too much else.
                      Balance is everything.
                      It has to look natural but also have enough light to make it possible to see the details. It would also be nice if they could make the emergency lighted signs more discrete.

My broad point was the balance between updating to make things relevant to the modern audience while keeping the charm or the original. Some rides have gone extinct because they were no longer relevant to the times. I don't think that is the case with the Haunted Mansion but I don't have any proof of that.

Wow, it is great to see the mystery of the location of the original graveyard finally revealed. There aren't that many things left (that we know of) still to discover or get photo evidence of. It is interesting to see how much we have unearthed in the decade I've been part of this thread.

Comment

• Hey, anyone agree with me that the Crowned Ghost in the ballroom looks a lot like Peter Cushing?

Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_inline_pgjhitm1U51uocpkc_500.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	8578603

(I incidentally made a whole tumblr post of trying to match HM spooks with actors who have played the title part in Doctor Who, for no other particular reason than personally being fond of both. Cushing is the only one who could plausibly have maybe possibly been on the edge of Gibson & Co.'s mind so it's the one I selected for here, but if you're interested, see here. Madame Leota is a spookily great match, and there's a few other surprises along the way.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Thaddeus Twain View Post
                          Hey, anyone agree with me that the Crowned Ghost in the ballroom looks a lot like Peter Cushing?

(I incidentally made a whole tumblr post of trying to match HM spooks with actors who have played the title part in Doctor Who, for no other particular reason than personally being fond of both. Cushing is the only one who could plausibly have maybe possibly been on the edge of Gibson & Co.'s mind so it's the one I selected for here, but if you're interested, see here. Madame Leota is a spookily great match, and there's a few other surprises along the way.)
                          That is a fun list. I only just discovered Dr. Who. When it was on TV when I was young, it was always part 9 of 12 so I never got into it.
                          I haven't heard anything in a long time about the Haunted Mansion movie. I know Del Torro had other projects to do first and I think he's done at least some of them.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Thaddeus Twain;n8578602]Hey, anyone agree with me that the Crowned Ghost in the ballroom looks a lot like Peter Cushing?

For me, it was always Charlie Callas who was a popular comedian in the 1960's.

Name:	charlie callas.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	8578849

Comment

• It's Mr Drucker from Petticoat Junction.

HauntedMansion.info - Mansion information, pictures, and projects

Comment

• Hey, so apparently the Phantoms of the Opera haven't come back to the Graveyard after they took off the Holiday Overlay? I heard they put back an additional Gus figure in their place to fill the empty space. The opera-singing is still on the ride audio, though. So hopefully they're not going Hatbox Ghost on us.

Comment

• Good News, Every ONE!

I AM Working On A Top Secret (SHADOW) Government Project Connected To The Haunted Mansion.

IT Is A Very Special Film And It's In BREATH-TAKING 5D! !!II11oo00oo11!! No Glasses Required! (Glasses Aren't Real ANY WAY...)

Anyway...

I AM Putting IT Together On THE FINAL CUT PRO. I've Been Working On It For A Couple Milleniums. Or A Week. Or 13 Hours. Whatever. Same Thing.

THE THING (lol) About The HM (hmmm) Ride That I Have Recently Discovered Is That It Accurately Depicts The True Nature Of Reality.

If You Don't Believe In GHOSTS Already, You Will... Very Soon...... Hm hmm hmmm......... zzz... zzz... zzz... Sorry About That. I'm Awake.

WEEEIIIRRRD IS The New NORMAL.

FEAR NOT!

Have A Frightfully GOOD TIME. And Be Nice. We're Watching...lol...

--LOVE--

MICHAEL CHARLES SWINEHART (R.I.P.)
                                  Legendary Hollywood Actor + 0 Budget Movie Maker
                                  Completed Suicide At 32 Via Strangulation

"In My Father's house there are many mansions."

Comment

• This is something very trivial I've always wondered: does anyone know why the entire soundtrack for WDW up until the Seance Circle plays a half-step lower than at Disneyland? The original recordings I can find of all of the tracks on youtube, including the ones unique to WDW (e.g. the conservatory piano), play in A minor, but in the ride, everything (at least up to the Seance Circle IIRC) plays in Ab minor. The difference is especially noticeable if you listen very closely to the foyer organ soundtrack. I believe that the playback speed is the same, so someone somewhere had to have made the conscious decision to play the music a semitone lower at WDW. I prefer it a semitone lower, as Ab minor sounds darker than A minor, but I've always wondered who made that decision and why. I do hope that they keep it a semitone lower even as they continue to Disneyland-ify the rest of the mansion.

I know that this topic is very trivial, but I've always paid very close attention to the music in the ride since the Haunted Mansion is what sparked my interest in the theater organ when I was a kid; in a way, the Haunted Mansion changed the trajectory of my life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thaddeus Twain View Post
                                      Hey, so apparently the Phantoms of the Opera haven't come back to the Graveyard after they took off the Holiday Overlay? I heard they put back an additional Gus figure in their place to fill the empty space. The opera-singing is still on the ride audio, though. So hopefully they're not going Hatbox Ghost on us.
                                      More than likely the Opra singers are being fixed somewhere. Animatronics break down from time and need to be repaired.

Comment

• Originally posted by Manicotti_legs View Post
                                        This is something very trivial I've always wondered: does anyone know why the entire soundtrack for WDW up until the Seance Circle plays a half-step lower than at Disneyland? The original recordings I can find of all of the tracks on youtube, including the ones unique to WDW (e.g. the conservatory piano), play in A minor, but in the ride, everything (at least up to the Seance Circle IIRC) plays in Ab minor. The difference is especially noticeable if you listen very closely to the foyer organ soundtrack. I believe that the playback speed is the same, so someone somewhere had to have made the conscious decision to play the music a semitone lower at WDW. I prefer it a semitone lower, as Ab minor sounds darker than A minor, but I've always wondered who made that decision and why. I do hope that they keep it a semitone lower even as they continue to Disneyland-ify the rest of the mansion.

I know that this topic is very trivial, but I've always paid very close attention to the music in the ride since the Haunted Mansion is what sparked my interest in the theater organ when I was a kid; in a way, the Haunted Mansion changed the trajectory of my life.
                                        The playback speed is slower at WDW on those two tracks. The same foyer organ recording is used in all three Mansions. The music room piano is also the same as the one in Tokyo, but they corrected the playback speed there.
                                        temp_39091_1443218350388_737

Mike and Karen ran toward the old house, through the old iron gate, and onto the porch for protection. Protection...? If only they had known...

Comment

• Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post

More than likely the Opra singers are being fixed somewhere. Animatronics break down from time and need to be repaired.
                                          Probably. I'm more curious on this additional Gus.

Comment

Working...
                                          X