This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vulcania View Post
    And now, a selection of my photos of the Haunted Mansion for diehard Long-Forgotten threadsters only - blurry and indistinct,they may be but I think these all have a certain energy to them. I have been away from this thread for too long, incidentally. Forgotten my old password and entry credentials. Oops.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 12.51.48 PM.png
Views:	234
Size:	734.5 KB
ID:	8665816

I've told this story before, but that will always be a special spot for me. The turnstile and ticket-taker used to be at that corner. Brother and I, waiting in line, Aug 14, 1969, trying to figure out if the HM was going to be a walk-thru or a ride. We get to this spot and ask the ticket-taker which it is, and without looking up (as he was occupied grabbing tickets, tearing them, and putting them into a box), he said, "Both." Just one of those random moments that somehow gets stuck in your memory.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog..

Comment

• Originally posted by Haunted Serenade View Post
      It was just announced at D23 that the Hatbox Ghost is coming to WDW!
      Huh. I wish they had announced the Man in the Web returning instead, but since the HBG is going to star in the upcoming movie, I suppose they thought they'd better put him in WDW. I don't have any strong feelings about this, but for sure the Mansionistas are going to have mixed opinions.

Comment

• Originally posted by HBG2 View Post

Huh. I wish they had announced the Man in the Web returning instead, but since the HBG is going to star in the upcoming movie, I suppose they thought they'd better put him in WDW. I don't have any strong feelings about this, but for sure the Mansionistas are going to have mixed opinions.
        As a guy who's only ever been on the WDW Haunted Mansion, I do kinda wish the Man in the Web was making a return. I am a bit excited to finally have Hattie and I wonder if they'll make any changes or improvements to him or where he's placed. I also hope he's just part of a larger refurb because WDW's mansion could use some TLC, especially with restoring more of its unique differences that were lost in 07...

Comment

It was just announced at D23 that the Hatbox Ghost is coming to WDW!
          Ugh. Foxxy's piece just becomes more relevant, and saddening, as the years pass. Can't these two resorts with completely different histories just stop converging already?

Comment

• Originally posted by dunceeee View Post

Ugh. Foxxy's piece just becomes more relevant, and saddening, as the years pass. Can't these two resorts with completely different histories just stop converging already?
            If there's a silver lining here for anyone who doesn't think the HBG should be at WDW, a Twitter thread lamenting that the "Man in Web" wasn't returning ended up with Colonel World Famous Dave Ensign casually tweeting a HUGE revelation about what happened to him!

Comment

If there's a silver lining here for anyone who doesn't think the HBG should be at WDW, a Twitter thread lamenting that the "Man in Web" wasn't returning ended up with Colonel World Famous Dave Ensign casually tweeting a HUGE revelation about what happened to him!
              Fascinating. Someone extract more facts from this man immediately!

Comment

According to him, Lee Nessler​ said it was some sort of mummified looking corpse, which seems to track with the infamous concept art. The prisoner in the fort has also had his head and hands stolen repeatedly, so it's uncertain at best if that figure is still our "Man In Web"...

Comment

Amen to that. That's some great new info, and from a pretty reliable source, I'd say. Time to update the old post on Webster.

Comment

Amen to that. That's some great new info, and from a pretty reliable source, I'd say. Time to update the old post on Webster.
                    I'm very happy I was able to bring that info about Webster to your attention. Now that it's sorta confirmed Webster was in the ride at some point during opening maybe a real in-ride photo will turn up next!

Comment

I'm very happy I was able to bring that info about Webster to your attention. Now that it's sorta confirmed Webster was in the ride at some point during opening maybe a real in-ride photo will turn up next!
                      It still looks to me like he was there in September when the folks who built the place and their families got a sneak preview (basically, a gigantic soft opening), and he was gone before WDW opened to the general public. I've heard credible reports from opening-day people who say they certainly would have remembered Web if he had been there, and I've never heard anyone claim to have seen him in the early days.

Comment

• There MUST be backstage photos of him. They photographed EVERYTHING, for insurance purposes, if nothing else.

Comment

• Hey just a heads up about Webster; I'm trying to find out if there ever WAS a jail at WDW's Fort Sam Clemens. I think Lee might've confused the guard house with one, and that would mean the snoring figure in there is/was our dear departed Webster!

Comment

Hey just a heads up about Webster; I'm trying to find out if there ever WAS a jail at WDW's Fort Sam Clemens. I think Lee might've confused the guard house with one, and that would mean the snoring figure in there is/was our dear departed Webster!
                            I think a "guard house" is pretty much a jail, so there's no real contradiction. I found pictures of the guard house door and the figure, so those are now up at LF in the "On the Web" post.

Comment

• Okay, here's a weird little mystery. We know that Marc Davis made use of a painting called "The Witch's Kitchen" by H. Franken when he came up with the concept sketch of the Witch of Walpurgis...

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	8666021

Name:	unnamed-1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	8666022

The weird little demon on the far left is clearly inspired by the one in the painting (look at the mouths, especially), but Davis's figure is hardly a faithful copy, differing in a number of ways. The demon also has a small companion with him. I would be inclined (and still am, actually) to put down all that to Marc's free imagination, but the last several days I have begun to wonder. Recently, I saw an ancient cave painting purportedly from the Altamira cave in Spain, that shows a figure so similar to Marc's that I have to wonder if Marc saw it. Many of the features absent from Franken are present in the cave painting, even the little side-kick! The problem is that my searches just keep coming up with this same photo (over and over), and can't find the figure in any other photos of the Altamira paintings (of which there are a LOT online). Just to be safe, I checked the Lascaux cave paintings as well, in case someone confused the two famous cave-painting sites, but I got bupkis. So I am wondering (1) is the photo legit? Is that really a figure found at Altamira? (2) If so, was it ever published in a book that Davis might have seen? I'm coming up empty, but maybe some of you guys can practice your own sleuthing skills.

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 8.17.09 PM copy.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	8666023

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 1.12.01 PM.png
Views:	148
Size:	624.4 KB
ID:	8666024

Comment

I think a "guard house" is pretty much a jail, so there's no real contradiction. I found pictures of the guard house door and the figure, so those are now up at LF in the "On the Web" post.
                                I can't find that post. Do you have a direct link to it?
                                temp_39091_1443218350388_737

Mike and Karen ran toward the old house, through the old iron gate, and onto the porch for protection. Protection...? If only they had known...

Comment

Okay, here's a weird little mystery. We know that Marc Davis made use of a painting called "The Witch's Kitchen" by H. Franken when he came up with the concept sketch of the Witch of Walpurgis...

Click image for larger version  Name:	unnamed.jpg Views:	2 Size:	117.1 KB ID:	8666021
                                  That demon in the original painting reminds me a lot of this fella drawn by Alvin Schwartz for one of the Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark books...

Click image for larger version  Name:	9780064404655-it.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.6 KB ID:	8666028

Comment

• Okay, about the cave painting. It's not from Altamira but from the Kimberley area of Australia, where there is a LOT of ancient rock art. The photo is © The Bradshaw Foundation and depicts artworks not discovered until the 1990s, so it's impossible for Marc to have seen our zig-zagged tailed critter. What we appear to have is a very weird coincidence.

https://www.bradshawfoundation.com/a...alia/index.php

Comment

• Originally posted by Grinning Ghost View Post

I can't find that post. Do you have a direct link to it?
                                      https://longforgottenhauntedmansion....09/on-web.html

Comment

• Great news on the Man the the Web! That's the only version of that story I've ever read that I actually believe because it explains everything properly. It ALSO explains the awkward pose of the "sleeping guard" on TSI, which I've always wondered about. The original figure must've just been a hollow butyrate shell with the standard "witch hands" used elsewhere in the HM. They could have used any of the head sculpts on him, but in my heart I feel they must have used the "screaming winking" face for the "mummified" look. Guess it's just another thing to add to the book's second edition!

As for bringing him back, I can't ever get my hopes up. There's no good place for him anymore. I *would* like to see a glowing spider somewhere in the ride again - I suggest in the turnaround between load and unload. As for HBG coming, I'm fine with it, for no other reason than that if they're gonna be selling merchandise with him all over it it doesn't make any sense to NOT have him in the ride!

Comment

• Now the not so news...
                                          Spirit Halloween Stores is selling Haunted Mansion merch. Today I saw a replica of the male staring bust, and a" Good Old Fred" gravestone. And now I have a Hitch hiking Ghost Blanket. I first saw some HM stuff on their website in 2020
                                          The Mystery of Fenwright Manor

TFMYY
                                          ​​​​​​
                                          The Haunted Library

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X